• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Joankeem / Joanday

7592 posts in this topic

Posted

Oh I see I mainly stick to her main channel videos (only watched her vlogs from Europe recently since I live here and it was fun to see her visit places I know) so that's interesting. I'm guessing she's buying it for her own use, possibly to try more and improve? And if she only keeps the reviews in her vlogs it seems like she's more casual about makeup I guess. As I said I agree she didn't look that good in that video. As for fashion that's subjective, to me her style is simple but I do like it. 

And yeah Joan is definitely a very focused? youtuber.

You made me want to check out her vlog channel though to see if she's really always buying makeup haha

Haha sure i just watched a vlog last night where she went to get the moonshot cushion and her brother said "you're buying more make up?" so lol~ xD

Posted

I don't think she's ever proclaimed to be a makeup/beauty guru though. But wouldn't skincare also be categorized under beauty? She does focus her channels mostly on k-lifestyle and k-skincare because she knows what her audience (mostly people who are interested in the Korean culture and also koreaboos) likes. I don't think her makeup looks horrible though :alpacaconfused: It's really simple and goes accordingly with her look. 

Also I'm pretty sure she has a lot of products from CJ E&M because she's a content creator under DiaTV, which is a division UNDER CJ E&M. Their other divisions include tvN (tv, mostly dramas/variety show channel), OCN (tv, mostly dramas/variety show channel), mnet (music/entertainment tv channel), OnStyle (fashion, makeup tv channel), etc. She also talked about how she gets invited to events that are hosted/sponsored by CJ, so that might explain why she has so much makeup from CJ. 

Personally, I don't want to judge her makeup skills. Sis never advertised her channel as a makeup tutorial channel. I think she does do good reviews on skincare products though. But I just find her persona/character on her channel really impersonal. Everything she seems to do feels very carefully constructed, if that makes sense. Like she worries more about getting that perfect shot for her vlog than actually experiencing things at the moment. But I guess you can say this about every vlogger. 

Posted

I don't think she's ever proclaimed to be a makeup/beauty guru though. But wouldn't skincare also be categorized under beauty? She does focus her channels mostly on k-lifestyle and k-skincare because she knows what her audience (mostly people who are interested in the Korean culture and also koreaboos) likes. I don't think her makeup looks horrible though :alpacaconfused: It's really simple and goes accordingly with her look. 

Also I'm pretty sure she has a lot of products from CJ E&M because she's a content creator under DiaTV, which is a division UNDER CJ E&M. Their other divisions include tvN (tv, mostly dramas/variety show channel), OCN (tv, mostly dramas/variety show channel), mnet (music/entertainment tv channel), OnStyle (fashion, makeup tv channel), etc. She also talked about how she gets invited to events that are hosted/sponsored by CJ, so that might explain why she has so much makeup from CJ. 

Personally, I don't want to judge her makeup skills. Sis never advertised her channel as a makeup tutorial channel. I think she does do good reviews on skincare products though. But I just find her persona/character on her channel really impersonal. Everything she seems to do feels very carefully constructed, if that makes sense. Like she worries more about getting that perfect shot for her vlog than actually experiencing things at the moment. But I guess you can say this about every vlogger. 

as mentioned earlier on, i only watch her daily vlogs where she buys (with her own money, ie not from CJ E&M) a lot of make up and does a lot of make up reviews on her daily vlogs which made me thought that she's on to the whole make up guru thing too. 

on the other hand, i didn't really notice her trying to get perfect shots for her vlogs but i think she does a lot of pointless things lol (eg the time lapse in the beginning of all her vlogs, i can just imagine her standing there for god knows how long, waiting beside her camera to get a time lapse. was it really necessary? do people really want to see time lapse?) 

Posted

From a couple of her vlogs I've seen (aka all of Europe vlogs and a couple more) I thought that the time lapse was just the intro she wants her vlogs to have. Like something that's her 'style'? Obviously she's not the only vlogger to do time lapses but starting her videos with it would be something that's recognisable I guess.

About her being impersonal, I just think that's her personality. I don't know how best to say what I mean... Like she's not a loud person, pretty quiet and calm, and there's nothing that unique about her personality so maybe that's why it might seems that way? But I don't think it's because she's trying to seem perfect or whatever. She looks pretty genuine and nice person to me. But of course it's just our opinions

Posted

Decided to check out her main channel videos and saw an everyday red lip make up tutorial (which was the first make up tutorial I watched from her). I can't believe she applied a cream concealer after setting her face with powder O.o and the way she did her eye make up left me speechless. I've never seen someone apply eyeliner like that I guess I'm maybe 50% impressed by the way she just flicks the eyeliner pen around xD In conclusion, I understood why I've never wanted to watch her make up. 

I think should check out her skincare videos since I get that it's "highly reccomended". Although her skin in that make up video was.................. xD

Posted

Oh forgot about that voiceover tutorial but that was her recovering from the huge breakout she talks about in this vid:

Also I personally don't think people who are good at skincare need to have perfect skin, especially when they're skin is acne prone. If they are actually learn and research about it and you can see improvements I trust them. Like Edward Avila. He clearly doesn't have perfect skin but you can see it improving so much and he actually tries to learn about ingredients and suggests products that don't have anything that can be harmful to your skin etc.

@apeach88 I went to watch that video to see what she did with her eyeliner and honestly I'm impressed because her eyeliner looks good and straight meanwhile mine still looks wobbly no matter how much I try to fix it lol. I'm good at literally everything apart from putting on eyeliner lol

Posted

Oh forgot about that voiceover tutorial but that was her recovering from the huge breakout she talks about in this vid:

Also I personally don't think people who are good at skincare need to have perfect skin, especially when they're skin is acne prone. If they are actually learn and research about it and you can see improvements I trust them. Like Edward Avila. He clearly doesn't have perfect skin but you can see it improving so much and he actually tries to learn about ingredients and suggests products that don't have anything that can be harmful to your skin etc.

@apeach88 I went to watch that video to see what she did with her eyeliner and honestly I'm impressed because her eyeliner looks good and straight meanwhile mine still looks wobbly no matter how much I try to fix it lol. I'm good at literally everything apart from putting on eyeliner lol

I guess it's just weird it's like watching a fashion vlogger with lousy fashion sense, watching a make up guru with bad make up skills, or a skincare promoter with bad skin. If you're so good with skincare, it's just odd that you didn't take care of your own skin? I feel like this is starting to sound like I really dislike her but trust me, I don't dislike her, I just find it odd. Obviously I still watch her videos and I like her Seoul vlogs it's just that the beauty portion didn't really made the cut for me. I'm very into beauty topics and so I watch a lot of beauty gurus, a lot who seems better at making beauty themed videos so it's difficult not to compare. 

Posted

Acne has nothing to do with taking care of your skin though..

Also, there's something calling "learning." You're not born a skincare pro. You become one by being curious and learning about it. So yeah, someone with bad skin can have a good knowledge of skincare and eventually have good skin (if they know what they're doing ofc)

Posted (edited)

I recall she wanted to be a TV presenter or a radio personality or something along those lines, and while the way she speaks is clear, her grammar is pretty bad (mixed up plurals and tenses, etc.) She is a bit bland and safe in almost all of her choices, but I do think that's also why people like her.

Edited by qb05

Posted

Exactly what @Mewd said. You wouldn't want people with bad makeup or sense of style giving you advice in those categories but skin is a completely different case. Also creating that perfect skincare regime comes with a lot of trial and error so I do want to hear and sometimes see how bad some items were. And that's why I mentioned acne prone skin. Acne is so difficult to deal with.

Posted

Also, there's something calling "learning." You're not born a skincare pro. You become one by being curious and learning about it. So yeah, someone with bad skin can have a good knowledge of skincare and eventually have good skin (if they know what they're doing ofc)

I have acne prone skin so I know what it's like to have break outs and taking care of your skin is so important! PONY (MUA) has great skin and she has shown many ways on how she took care of her skin via her skincare routine videos and she also mentioned how she always drink green tea to detox etc. Curious, I went to watch one of Joan's skincare videos and I landed on her morning skincare routine where she just rubbed the cleanser all over her entire face. I don't think that's good for acne prone skin as it's advised to gently go around your face in small circular motions to ensure that your skin is throughly cleansed and you're not being too rough on your skin. 

If you have acne prone skin like I do, I recommend you to start taking care of your skin as you might see a huge improvement.

I just found out that one of my good friends knows her. She's just a normal Korean-American from California who has a passing interest in makeup and fashion and is more interested in people who have a lot of followers.

I recall she wanted to be a TV presenter or a radio personality or something along those lines, and while the way she speaks is clear, her grammar is pretty bad (mixed up plurals and tenses, etc.) She is a bit bland and safe in almost all of her choices, but I do think that's also why people like her.

More interested in people who have a lot of followers? What does that mean? I didn't notice her bad grammar but I do like her voice, like many others I find that she sound really calming. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by qb05

Posted (edited)

Woah~I love Joan! I have been watching her videos for a long time now and so I decided to find out more about her and this site came up. HAD TO create an account so I could state my opinion.

I have acne prone skin so I know what it's like to have break outs and taking care of your skin is so important! PONY (MUA) has great skin and she has shown many ways on how she took care of her skin via her skincare routine videos and she also mentioned how she always drink green tea to detox etc. Curious, I went to watch one of Joan's skincare videos and I landed on her morning skincare routine where she just rubbed the cleanser all over her entire face. I don't think that's good for acne prone skin as it's advised to gently go around your face in small circular motions to ensure that your skin is throughly cleansed and you're not being too rough on your skin. 

If you have acne prone skin like I do, I recommend you to start taking care of your skin as you might see a huge improvement.

More interested in people who have a lot of followers? What does that mean? I didn't notice her bad grammar but I do like her voice, like many others I find that she sound really calming. 

@apeach88 While I love Joan and her personality, it's true that her makeup skills are not there (yet?) and I take her skincare reviews with a pinch of salt because of her skin issues (i have better skin than she does). Even though I love Joan, it doesnt mean that I should defend her in ALL WAYS. Nobody is perfect and that is simply the points Joan is lacking as a beauty guru. Honestly giggled when I saw your comment regarding her fashion sense. Joan is a nice girl regardless of her fashion sense but she does have a funny taste in fashion. Gotta give that one to you. 

@soojunqa She did not proclaim to be a beauty guru but no beauty guru claims to be one, they JUST BECOME ONE. 

it DOES seem funny taking ADVICES from someone who does not have good skin and I get where @apeach88 is going with this because if you are providing advices you should be a living proof to show that those advices or products work otherwise it would just seem sponsored imo?? (like zoella*) But I feel like Joan is trying her best to learn more about skincare to provide helpful information to her subs so to each their own. 

Taking care of your skin has (almost) EVERYTHING to do with acne. I am a beautician and I literally gasped at your first sentence! You can get break outs even when you take care of your skin that is very true due to hormonal factors but it can be greatly reduced if you know how to take care of your skin. Many online personalities have acne prone skin but it is so difficult to tell because of how well they care of their skin!! 

Those aside, most importantly I wanted to share my opinions about Joan which is the main purpose of this thread. I think she's a sweet girl with a very nice personality and she appears to be very genuine too. That is the MAIN reason why I watch her videos, I like that she shares it with her viewers and her videos are great for passing time. I am a Korean American who is currently living abroad and I will be moving back to seoul soon so I enjoy her daily vlogs so I get to see seoul. But again it is no use denying that she does not have good makeup skills and her skin is not the best too because it is shown in her videos. She will do well as a lifestyle personality rather than beauty I think. 

side note: sorry i don't know how to mention people, this is my first time in this forum! 

Edited by sooyoung

Posted

been watching joan for quite sometimes now along side with Eddie. I love her tbh. her vlogs are very calming and informative (as i do plan on visiting korea next year) so her daily vlogs helps give me an idea on what/where i should go which is helpful. i find her to be pretty normal, not too over the top but not too boring either. i get what you guys mean that's she's a little awkward which i do find it every now and then. but i feel like she's the most down to earth when she's with her brother Abe which i love watching the two siblings lol

tbh, i do find her makeup skills to be a bit bleh but she did admit it herself many times that she knows she sucks so i gotta give that to her lol i personally like her daily vlogs (ones where she stays in Seoul of course lol) and her skincare videos. i recently got into korean skincare just last year so i stumbled upon her channel from there and her videos about products reviews are quite helpful and informative. got nothing against her but i mean, no one is perfect and I'm sure not everyone will likes her so yeah.

i do understand what some of you guys mean when you said her content attracts a lot of koreaboos. I've been watching her videos when she practically barely started out so she literally grew so fast with her channel. i think it helps that she talks a lot about korean products and even more so when she lives in korea so she can films/talks about all these places in Seoul which i think is one of the main reasons why she's gotten quite popular? i think

Posted

I think you guys misunderstood what I said. I didn't say that taking care of skin doesn't improve your acne/scarring issues. What I said was that having acne doesn't happen because you give no fuck about your skin. Like you said, it's hormonal.

My point is, people shouldn't ignore someone skincare advices simply because they don't have a "perfect skin." Some people have it harder than others, so it takes more time to see positive results.

Again, I'm not saying you should blindly follow anyone who talks about skincare (hi fei) because they might not know what they're talking about. You need to make your own research and find what's best for YOUR skin.