• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Joankeem / Joanday

7518 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't mind Joan, from the videos I've seen. She's quite dedicated to her job, and putting out content - it's a little lackluster at times, but at least it's consistent. Her Instagram aesthetic is nice, even if it's not super original. I'd be her friend in a heartbeat though, she seems quite chill!

Posted

Not sure about the kpop related stuff but she sure looks like a genuine fan of kpop. I watched one of her vlogs and she mentioned that she would camp outside YG's building. 

Exactly about the cafes! I'd rather watch more of her shopping around town even though the places she shops at are pretty much the same every time (3CE...). Probably another thing that bothers me is when her vlog titles are like "Exploring Itaewon", etc, but the places she went are only 2-3 cafes in an area nearby Itaewon. 

BUT, I still think she's a nice girl and I like the way she speaks too. xD

I actually saw this girl at the Pyeongchang K-drama fest, I sat behind her on the bus there. She is definitely not a kpop fan from the things I heard her say.

Also in her vlog about it she's hyping up the fact that she came to see Exo's Chen and acts like she's this big fan but when hearing her talk, it sounded more like she was gonna cheer for Chen on her vlog because she hasn't actually listened to anything Exo since Growl and didn't know the other guys names but wanted to appeal to her koreaboo/kpop audience. So to be honest, yeah I do feel like she's fishing for views from the Kpop fan/koreaboo types. 

I didn't get a very good impression from her that day. She was a bit obnoxious and when the olypmic ministers/managers (important people) were being introduced she was making a scene, screaming and clapping for them and lots of people in the audience were giving her some side eye. 

Regardless I admit I shouldn't judge her based on her actions from that one day and there's nothing wrong with not being interested in kpop but I hope she stops using it as a way to get more views when she clearly has no interest in it. 

Posted

Tbh I've always had the feeling that she's just filming all of these kpop videos to attract koreaboos lmao. I had to unsubscribe after all the boring kpop related videos lol, but I guess that's the type of audience she's trying to garner, since anything Korean related gains attention from kpop fans/koreaboos lol. I have to admit that it's a smart way to gain attention on YT. It works for her, because she's Korean and no one questions it lmao, I just find it sus she started posting so many kpop related videos randomly when she's shown no major interest before.

Posted

Tbh I've always had the feeling that she's just filming all of these kpop videos to attract koreaboos lmao. I had to unsubscribe after all the boring kpop related videos lol, but I guess that's the type of audience she's trying to garner, since anything Korean related gains attention from kpop fans/koreaboos lol. I have to admit that it's a smart way to gain attention on YT. It works for her, because she's Korean and no one questions it lmao, I just find it sus she started posting so many kpop related videos randomly when she's shown no major interest before.

exactly my point there. Ive never watched her kpop related though, and maybe everyones definition of being a fan are different. So well never know her real intention?? I know that her first video (interning at arirang tv) was kinda related to kpop tho lmao. Anyways the real koreaboo viewers attention seeker is sunny dahye tbh. 

Posted

I like her! Especially her skincare videos because it always looks like she took the time to learn about the skincare and try it out and I more or less trust her reviews. Her videos are very calming to me so I really enjoy them.

As for kpop videos.. I am a kpop fan but usually I'm not interested in these types of videos but I just wanted to say I don't think she's doing too many of them. Yeah it's clearly a good way to get more popular but I just checked it out and she only did 2 kpop related videos (on the main channel) in the past month and compared to the rest of the videos she released I don't think it's too much. On her vlog channel there's more but I don't watch her vlogs as often.. But she's trying to do daily vlogging right? And from the looks of it she's trying to show a lot of different things you can do/see and well kpop is a big factor of why people are interested in Korea so I understand why she's doing it

Posted

I like Joan, and it's always a pleasure to see Abe (her younger bro) in her daily vlogs. Skincare reviews are her strength. There's so much k-beauty to be explored and she doesn't faff around with the gimmicky products. I love it when she goes around showing the concept stores. The cafe-hopping helps me figure out where I'd like to go eat when and if I ever go to SK. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that she's not as big of a kpop fan as she makes herself out to be. I always felt that 'k-pop fan' aspect was superficial. 

I think the way that I was introduced to Joan on YT was because I heard that she was involved with Jenn's channel Clothesencounters for a time. Maybe she picked up the basics of video editing there. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by mizuhara

Posted

I like her channel and I love her vlogs even though they're kinda repetitive sometimes! I would like to see more of the touristy things instead of cafes around Seoul. She does seem a bit awkward when vlogging her reactions or her friends but that's okay I like her regardless.   Her skincare videos are definitely her strength

I think because she daily vlogs (right? I'm not sure, I just started watching her lol) her videos do get a bit repetitive but they all have a calming vibe so I don't mind it too much. 

But I totally agree! She's does get a bit awkward when she vlogs... lol I don't know what it is, whether it's just her personality or her trying to make her vlogs "perfect." It was funny to watch her friend (K.Choi) film Joan filming her during Joan's vlog opening though lol Like you just see Joan waiting a bit to film her timelapse and then she just pops out lol She gets a bit awkward again in the Japan blogger trip when she's with the two Malaysian/Indonesian(?) bloggers. I think she's the least awkward when she's with her friend Erin. She acts really naturally when she's with her. 

But it's really obvious that she's targeting the KPOP/koreaboo audience because she knows they'll bring in the views, subscribers, and $$$ :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

Does anyone find her vlogs kinda.... impersonal? Like she doesn't really display much personality or much character? She vlogs so much of her life, we've seen her friends, her family. but i don't feel like i know her at all? Kinda hard to explain what i mean. She seems like a nice enough girl but she isn't the type of person i'd call myself a fan of.

I find her makeup stuff boring as i don't do makeup myself. But i like how she gets out around Seoul a lot. it reminds me of my time in Korea, enjoying the cafe culture.

Posted

Meh. She's a beauty guru right? But she looks nothing like one? I just watched the vlog of she and Edward talking about being a full time youtuber and answering FAQs and she looked so bad and her eyeliner is always quite off-looking too. Not to mention that she doesn't have any fashion sense either (the sunglasses she wore in her latest vlogs............... just gives the vibe that she's trying too hard to be trendy but she doesn't have that look). Also that thing she does with her hand all the time like casting a spell or something is really weird or is it just me lol. 

Posted (edited)

@apeach88 she is more focused on the reviews of makeup and skincare products. I guess she is in a category of beauty youtubers but not the ones that do makeup tutorials. tbh I don't remember her ever doing a makeup tutorial just the one recently where another person did her makeup (or grwm but those doesn't count as tutorials to me)

Edited by sadpeach

Posted

@apeach88 she is more focused on the reviews of makeup and skincare products. I guess she is in a category of beauty youtubers but not the ones that do makeup tutorials. tbh I don't remember her ever doing a makeup tutorial just the one recently where another person did her makeup (or grwm but those doesn't count as tutorials to me)

oh hey fellow peach. well i seldom watch her main channel videos so im not too sure about whether she does make up tutorials, but just watching her daily vlogs.... she just don't look like someone who would be good at make up or the topic of beauty. i would expect someone with that many make up to be good at make up actually bcos that's the purpose of make up right? to make you look better? 

i get that she's a nice person (i think) though. 

Posted

oh hey fellow peach. well i seldom watch her main channel videos so im not too sure about whether she does make up tutorials, but just watching her daily vlogs.... she just don't look like someone who would be good at make up or the topic of beauty. i would expect someone with that many make up to be good at make up actually bcos that's the purpose of make up right? to make you look better? 

i get that she's a nice person (i think) though. 

I see your point and I do agree that she's not that good at makeup but it's just simple and normal to me. And I just looked through her main channel and as I thought there aren't that many videos just on makeup, she only mentions it in favourites and empties videos now. It's mostly about skincare and skincare reviews. And skincare is definitely her strong point. And hmm well yes makeup is supposed to make you look better but also I don't think a lot of makeup means the person is better at applying it. And I did find a couple of makeup tutorials she did from around a year ago and a few makeup reviews but it seems like she herself understands that's not her forte and is focusing mostly on skincare. So basically what I wanted to say she is a beauty youtuber but not a makeup youtuber if that makes sense? Skincare youtuber? haha. And skincare is part of beauty so while she's not that great at makeup she's very knowledgeable about skincare so I don't think it's right to say she's not good at the topic of beauty

Posted

I see your point and I do agree that she's not that good at makeup but it's just simple and normal to me. And I just looked through her main channel and as I thought there aren't that many videos just on makeup, she only mentions it in favourites and empties videos now. It's mostly about skincare and skincare reviews. And skincare is definitely her strong point. And hmm well yes makeup is supposed to make you look better but also I don't think a lot of makeup means the person is better at applying it. And I did find a couple of makeup tutorials she did from around a year ago and a few makeup reviews but it seems like she herself understands that's not her forte and is focusing mostly on skincare. So basically what I wanted to say she is a beauty youtuber but not a makeup youtuber if that makes sense? Skincare youtuber? haha. And skincare is part of beauty so while she's not that great at makeup she's very knowledgeable about skincare so I don't think it's right to say she's not good at the topic of beauty

like i mentioned i dont watch her main channel vlogs but in her daily vlogs, she's ALWAYS buying make up like moonshot, innisfree palette, etude house and picking up new make up ranges from CJ E&M, which gave me the impression that she's really into the make up portion as she doesnt talk a lot about skincare in her daily vlogs as compared to the topic on make up, she also does make up reviews within her daily vlogs.

but well she looked really terrible in that FAQ video - make up was a mess and to think that they actually filmed the GRWM for that look, hair was messy too. not sure why she kept taking ootd shots too because her fashion sense is real bad. 

some beauty gurus are good in make up, skincare and fashion but it seems like joan is just not one of them. 

Posted

like i mentioned i dont watch her main channel vlogs but in her daily vlogs, she's ALWAYS buying make up like moonshot, innisfree palette, etude house and picking up new make up ranges from CJ E&M, which gave me the impression that she's really into the make up portion as she doesnt talk a lot about skincare in her daily vlogs as compared to the topic on make up, she also does make up reviews within her daily vlogs.

but well she looked really terrible in that FAQ video - make up was a mess and to think that they actually filmed the GRWM for that look, hair was messy too. not sure why she kept taking ootd shots too because her fashion sense is real bad. 

some beauty gurus are good in make up, skincare and fashion but it seems like joan is just not one of them. 

Oh I see I mainly stick to her main channel videos (only watched her vlogs from Europe recently since I live here and it was fun to see her visit places I know) so that's interesting. I'm guessing she's buying it for her own use, possibly to try more and improve? And if she only keeps the reviews in her vlogs it seems like she's more casual about makeup I guess. As I said I agree she didn't look that good in that video. As for fashion that's subjective, to me her style is simple but I do like it. 

And yeah Joan is definitely a very focused? youtuber.

You made me want to check out her vlog channel though to see if she's really always buying makeup haha