youtube Joankeem / Joanday

738 posts in this topic

Posted

Can't find a thread on her so I decided to make one.

Joan Keem - Korean American who is based in Seoul.

1109078v_1608220131_9.jpg?x=b

810_5618_1024x1024.jpg?v=1466473193

I only started watching her vids not too long ago but I think I probably almost finished watching all of her daily vlogs?! I love her personality but she seem to cafe hop a little too much. What do you guys think of her? 

Youtube: http://youtube.com/joankeem

IG: http://instagram.com/joankeem 

Posted

Can you add her links? So that it'll be easier to see her stuff ^^

Posted

Can you add her links? So that it'll be easier to see her stuff ^^

added!! :D

Posted

I personally enjoy her videos. She's the reason why I decided to try out COSRX and it was basically one of the best decisions in my life. She really knows her stuff.

About the cafe hopping, cafes are extremely popular in Korea. Like, there will be several of them within a close proximity. Catching up with people and even business meetings are often located in cafes. If there's so many choices, why would you stick to one when you can mix it up and go to different ones? It's great that she explores different ones because it gives a lot of tourists options depending on where they will be visiting.

Posted

I personally enjoy her videos. She's the reason why I decided to try out COSRX and it was basically one of the best decisions in my life. She really knows her stuff.

About the cafe hopping, cafes are extremely popular in Korea. Like, there will be several of them within a close proximity. Catching up with people and even business meetings are often located in cafes. If there's so many choices, why would you stick to one when you can mix it up and go to different ones? It's great that she explores different ones because it gives a lot of tourists options depending on where they will be visiting.

Yeah I love the cafes she introduces too but it's kinda like "we're done with this cafe, next we're heading to a cafe, and after that we're heading to a cafe". Don't get me wrong, I love her vids too, just find the number of cafes in one vlog a little too extreme. 

Posted (edited)

Lmao i wanted to make a thread on her but i completely forgot about it. 

I started watching her like 2 years ago but only for her skincare reviews, and just started watching her vlogs recently, Anyways i do like her, i think shes genuinely a nice and honest person. shes honest about her sponsored products, and very open towards her viewers imo??? 

Tbh i think her videoss are very mediocre, Shes not like crazy talented at makeup & fashion as other gurus. But i still really like her product reviews esp skincare. Also i think shes a very good speaker?? i get bored of chat videos very easily but tbh i dont find her videos boring at all? Like, she knows how to express things well and keep her explanation simple?? 

but it bothers me so much everytime she does kpop related stuff bc to me its almost like... she's fishin for koreaboo viewers??? Idk. 

Yeah I love the cafes she introduces too but it's kinda like "we're done with this cafe, next we're heading to a cafe, and after that we're heading to a cafe". Don't get me wrong, I love her vids too, just find the number of cafes in one vlog a little too extreme. 

yea i thoughr it was just me that find her cafe hopping too wild. I rly like her cafe videos, but It almost seemed too staged for me? Like, who would go on 3 cafes each day. 

Edited by water666

Posted

Lmao i wanted to make a thread on her but i completely forgot about it. 

I started watching her like 2 years ago but only for her skincare reviews, and just started watching her vlogs recently, Anyways i do like her, i think shes genuinely a nice and honest person. shes honest about her sponsored products, and very open towards her viewers imo??? 

Tbh i think her videoss are very mediocre, Shes not like crazy talented at makeup & fashion as other gurus. But i still really like her product reviews esp skincare. Also i think shes a very good speaker?? i get bored of chat videos very easily but tbh i dont find her videos boring at all? Like, she knows how to express things well and keep her explanation simple?? 

but it bothers me so much everytime she does kpop related stuff bc to me its almost like... she's fishin for koreaboo viewers??? Idk. 

yea i thoughr it was just me that find her cafe hopping too wild. I rly like her cafe videos, but It almost seemed too staged for me? Like, who would go on 3 cafes each day. 

Not sure about the kpop related stuff but she sure looks like a genuine fan of kpop. I watched one of her vlogs and she mentioned that she would camp outside YG's building. 

Exactly about the cafes! I'd rather watch more of her shopping around town even though the places she shops at are pretty much the same every time (3CE...). Probably another thing that bothers me is when her vlog titles are like "Exploring Itaewon", etc, but the places she went are only 2-3 cafes in an area nearby Itaewon. 

BUT, I still think she's a nice girl and I like the way she speaks too. xD

Posted

Not sure about the kpop related stuff but she sure looks like a genuine fan of kpop. I watched one of her vlogs and she mentioned that she would camp outside YG's building. 

Exactly about the cafes! I'd rather watch more of her shopping around town even though the places she shops at are pretty much the same every time (3CE...). Probably another thing that bothers me is when her vlog titles are like "Exploring Itaewon", etc, but the places she went are only 2-3 cafes in an area nearby Itaewon. 

BUT, I still think she's a nice girl and I like the way she speaks too. xD

oooh. my bad, shouldnt have judged her too quickly. i just avoided kpop related videos in general because im not into kpop. now that i think about it she gave me that kind of impression because she's close with sunnydahye and imo sunny really did fish kpop fans / koreaboos for the viewers?? 

lol yeah, she literally only shops at stylenanda and aland. i really like her exploring concept but i think she should improve it more ya know. 

Posted

oooh. my bad, shouldnt have judged her too quickly. i just avoided kpop related videos in general because im not into kpop. now that i think about it she gave me that kind of impression because she's close with sunnydahye and imo sunny really did fish kpop fans / koreaboos for the viewers?? 

lol yeah, she literally only shops at stylenanda and aland. i really like her exploring concept but i think she should improve it more ya know. 

the only kpop group she really talks about is big bang, so there's not a lot of kpop in her videos! and i think she said in one of her vlogs that she visited a few kpop stores because subscribers often asked her where to get kpop merch.

Posted

I like her and watch her daily vlogs too. I think her vlogs are fun and i think she is a very honest and hardworking girl so i support her and like her more than her friends(sunny,edward). Her skincare videos are good but her makeup tutorials videos are mehh

Posted

i find her videos kind of calming?? maybe its her voice because she works on radio and also her editing style. i feel she does the cafe-hopping vids best out of all the k-vloggers (((cough megan)))). i love her vlogs and her hauls, also not really a fan of her makeup tutorials :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

Funny how we were just talking about it and she uploaded a K-pop related vlog. Personally I don't really like Sunny esp after she went for plastic surgery. She looked too different imo and now she just looks like a typical Korean girl who undergone plastic surgery. 

Posted

I really like Joan and watch her videos mostly for her personality. She's one of the most genuine vloggers that I've came across and I hope that does not change. Her videos are not groundbreaking nor exceptional but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I don't see cafe hopping as a problem and she is making an effort to try new places based on friends' and viewers' recommendations. A lot of youth in Korea still live at home with their parents so the default hang out spots are usually cafes. When I go back to Korea I hit up at least three cafes per day myself.

Joan and I are the same age so it's understandable that she's brand conscious and sticks to shopping at places she knows she likes. By the time you're in your mid-twenties you have already developed your sense of style and go with quality over quantity. A lot of locals avoid buying clothing on the streets or at the subway stations because quality can be a hit or miss.

That said, I like her as a lifestyle and fashion vlogger but wouldn't mind if she showed more of her life at home instead of just out-and-about "shopping and cafe hopping" though I understand her reluctance to film so candidly.

Posted

Funny how we were just talking about it and she uploaded a K-pop related vlog. Personally I don't really like Sunny esp after she went for plastic surgery. She looked too different imo and now she just looks like a typical Korean girl who undergone plastic surgery. 

lolll. i dont have anything w/ sunnys ps as long as shes happy about it. but it just bothers me how some of her vids like "kpop group pronouncing xxxx". i find those videos irrelevant and rly fishing for kboos honestly? but ye anyways. 

I really like Joan and watch her videos mostly for her personality. She's one of the most genuine vloggers that I've came across and I hope that does not change. Her videos are not groundbreaking nor exceptional but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I don't see cafe hopping as a problem and she is making an effort to try new places based on friends' and viewers' recommendations. A lot of youth in Korea still live at home with their parents so the default hang out spots are usually cafes. When I go back to Korea I hit up at least three cafes per day myself.

Joan and I are the same age so it's understandable that she's brand conscious and sticks to shopping at places she knows she likes. By the time you're in your mid-twenties you have already developed your sense of style and go with quality over quantity. A lot of locals avoid buying clothing on the streets or at the subway stations because quality can be a hit or miss.

That said, I like her as a lifestyle and fashion vlogger but wouldn't mind if she showed more of her life at home instead of just out-and-about "shopping and cafe hopping" though I understand her reluctance to film so candidly.

oops im sorry, i think my previous comment causes misunderstanding. i did mention that she literally only shops at stylenanda and aland, which im not against it at all since i do the same thing as well. i was just simply mentioning it (if that make any sense?)

and by improving her exploring korea concept i mean the cafe hopping thing. but it all make sense now that i read your comment, and i just came to realization that i did hop from cafe to cafe. what i meant by too wild / extreme was how quick she cafe hops, but obv im dumb bc i forgot that she might have spent there for like hours and had fun smh. and the improving part was just i wish shed review the cafe more in-depth (???) or like review the food/drink the cafe serve? but yeah, i dont have experience in blogging or reviewing stuff, so i might be ignorant about this ?

Posted (edited)

Oh no worries, I was just simply stating as well. I think people tend to forget that with daily vlogs, things are bound to get repetitive since we are creatures of habit and tend to stick to what works for us. Also, keep in mind that Joan is not a tourist with time constraints so she doesn't feel as obligated to visit tourist-y or new destinations that often unless a majority of her viewers request it. 

Edited by daintydaisy
forgot a word