• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Vic Mignogna

9317 posts in this topic

Posted

I get what you are saying and tbh i really wish they never made the dub because the sub was perfect (yes i do like sub more than dubs but i do like a good dub from time to time) and the only good dub is the octopimp parody one on yt. I mean there will always be shippers in any fandom and while FREE is a sports anime it wasn't spared it's shippers  

The only reason i say the dub shouldn't have been made was because funimation has a bad habit of fucking shit up and going adlip at time which in certian animes isn't a bad thing but not for the majority of titles they hold.

the main Funi dubs I did like were all made years ago for the most part. Ouran remains one of my fav dubs and I quite liked Fruits Basket for the time, but they've also made some really, really shitty decisions amid their better work, and highly miscast everyone to boot.

Posted

the main Funi dubs I did like were all made years ago for the most part. Ouran remains one of my fav dubs and I quite liked Fruits Basket for the time, but they've also made some really, really shitty decisions amid their better work, and highly miscast everyone to boot.

I agree with you there that why i always cringe whenever funi annouces a new dub because they could do a better job with casting instead of hiring the same VA for any anime they do decide to dub. Fruits basket is one of my fav shoujo anime from them  and i also agree most of their good dubs is from year ago 2000-2007 and after that they stop giving a shit.

Posted

but like

free! isn't even canonically gay. the fangirls may be insistent it is but the most it has is occasional homoerotic undertones? tbh compared to YoI it's not gay at all, haikyuu is less homoerotic than free! and the fangirls are still obsessed with yaoi for some reason

I don't personally like how everything has to be ghay buttsex in that sense by fandom standards, as a bi person what t f is wrong with an anime about guys having close friendships and emotional bonds? That's not even a homophobic observation, that's just kind of what I see it as- at least partially?

going out on another tangent the free! dub was pretty crappy, forget the performances, and unfitting voices (except for Rei, Tatum is a good glasses guy VA and Rei has that sophistication to him that makes me think Kyouyas VA wouldn't be a bad match, albeit the fact that Rei is dorkier), the script was utter garbage and the forceful shoehorning of dude and bro was to say the least kind of an unsettling, forced mood whiplash. Like how could they mess up something that was handed to them on a gold encrusted platter again?

Im not saying Vic is in the right for being religious and homophobic at all but I'm also not one for the fangirl harping

This was because of the comments he made about Tsubasa Chronicals about his character. He claimed that Fai couldn't be Yay because he personally talked to CLAMP about it and they told him he wasn't. Then be changed his story. It reminded me of the time he claimed Edward Eric hated God because be was angry, when it's clear Edward doesn't believe in God period. 

I did security at a con he was at and he was a right asshole. He was rude and after an altercation with someone (over a changed panel or something), locked himself up in his hotel room and refused to leave. I believe he was banned from that con. 

I also had the misfortune of staying on the same floor as him. He woke my whole room up at 7am on a Sunday, ranting and raving and yelling about something. I met his mother in the elevator and she apologized to me.

Then at another con he went into the middle of Scott McNeil's panel and announced he was doing autographs outside, getting half the room to leave while Scott was talking. I believe that one was Metrocon. 

Posted

This was because of the comments he made about Tsubasa Chronicals about his character. He claimed that Fai couldn't be Yay because he personally talked to CLAMP about it and they told him he wasn't. Then be changed his story. It reminded me of the time he claimed Edward Eric hated God because be was angry, when it's clear Edward doesn't believe in God period. 

I did security at a con he was at and he was a right asshole. He was rude and after an altercation with someone (over a changed panel or something), locked himself up in his hotel room and refused to leave. I believe he was banned from that con. 

I also had the misfortune of staying on the same floor as him. He woke my whole room up at 7am on a Sunday, ranting and raving and yelling about something. I met his mother in the elevator and she apologized to me.

Then at another con he went into the middle of Scott McNeil's panel and announced he was doing autographs outside, getting half the room to leave while Scott was talking. I believe that one was Metrocon. 

Yeah he changed his story really quick when someone called bullshit.  Clamp have been placing homosexual couples and characters in their stories forever.  Anyone that is familiar with their work knows that.  His ego just couldn't allow him to play a character that might be gay.

I also ended up saying on the same floor as him once at a con.  While I didn't have interaction with him, his fans got wind of it and were slipping notes under doors to find out what room he was in.   There was about 5 of them no older than 14-15.215865_1830104445361_1367890_n.thumb.jpg216240_1830111085527_2549955_n.thumb.jpg

Posted

215865_1830104445361_1367890_n.thumb.jpg216240_1830111085527_2549955_n.thumb.jpg

Those are really sad if they truly were 14-15. Because is a word kids know how to spell by first grade. 

I know he also likes to claim he doesn't drink or some bullshit like that. That's really funny, because I've got a picture of him drinking beer at one of the Risembool Ranger dinners. I am so sorry I ever joined that bag of crazy back in 2006. I left right when all this stuff starting getting out about him and I was working security at cons. 

Posted

Those are really sad if they truly were 14-15. Because is a word kids know how to spell by first grade. 

I know he also likes to claim he doesn't drink or some bullshit like that. That's really funny, because I've got a picture of him drinking beer at one of the Risembool Ranger dinners. I am so sorry I ever joined that bag of crazy back in 2006. I left right when all this stuff starting getting out about him and I was working security at cons. 

I have a story from that same con back in 2011.  The first night they had a dodge ball game that was Team Vic vs Team Travis Willingham.  My friend and I watched the game.  After the game we saw Vic talking to this girl who had been on his team.  After they got done talking she ran over to her friends and was jumping up and down.  Even six years ago both my friend and I thought she was under 18.  No real proof though. 

The next day we were waiting in line for the Saturday night concert and lined up pretty early to get a good spot.  The main room had removable wall that could make it into two rooms. While we lined up Vic was having a "panel" in half of the main room.  We lined up next to one of the doors where a female con staff was standing in front of the door.  We decided to chit chat with her a little bit before the topic of why she was there came up.  She said they Vic demanded that someone guard the door so no one could come in or out while he was holding his panel.  (I assume because people going in and out would cause a distraction and that meant less attention on him.)  However the panel started running over and the band couldn't get in to start sound check till Vic and his group left.  

We were still waiting when some guy started going down the line spraying people with Axe body spray.  The female con staff decided she needed to take care of that and asked us to watch the door while she was gone.  So we waited and Vic's panel had run about 30 minutes over before they finally let out.  The staff girl was still not back yet though.  We looked through the half open door to see Vic with the same girl from the night before (only this time she was all dressed up).  Vic had his arm around her while he was talking to some staff.  After a few minutes the two of them went out the back way.  My friend and I were 100% positive it was the same girl. There was the possible she just looked young, but it still scummy to take advantage of your fans.

Posted (edited)

this was just cringy to watch 

Edited by Fairyduster

Posted

No! Why does he have to be scum! He's not my favorite voice actor but as someone who would stay up late as a kid to watch FMA only to usually fall asleep half way through it, so therefore falling asleep to his voice. It was a voice that reminded me of my child and teenhood. 

But now I don't think I can ever hear his voice again and not be angered. If he is truly preying on girls under 18. I'm not that old myself, 23, but I'm a mother and even a 17 year old is a BABY! (I don't mean that in an insulting way I had a pedo come after me at that age and when I look back at it I'm like "shit, I was a baby" so I just want to protect all these other babies from these nasty men)

So VIC GET YO HANDS OFF THESE BABIES!

Posted

I have a story from that same con back in 2011.  The first night they had a dodge ball game that was Team Vic vs Team Travis Willingham.  My friend and I watched the game.  After the game we saw Vic talking to this girl who had been on his team.  After they got done talking she ran over to her friends and was jumping up and down.  Even six years ago both my friend and I thought she was under 18.  No real proof though. 

The next day we were waiting in line for the Saturday night concert and lined up pretty early to get a good spot.  The main room had removable wall that could make it into two rooms. While we lined up Vic was having a "panel" in half of the main room.  We lined up next to one of the doors where a female con staff was standing in front of the door.  We decided to chit chat with her a little bit before the topic of why she was there came up.  She said they Vic demanded that someone guard the door so no one could come in or out while he was holding his panel.  (I assume because people going in and out would cause a distraction and that meant less attention on him.)  However the panel started running over and the band couldn't get in to start sound check till Vic and his group left.  

We were still waiting when some guy started going down the line spraying people with Axe body spray.  The female con staff decided she needed to take care of that and asked us to watch the door while she was gone.  So we waited and Vic's panel had run about 30 minutes over before they finally let out.  The staff girl was still not back yet though.  We looked through the half open door to see Vic with the same girl from the night before (only this time she was all dressed up).  Vic had his arm around her while he was talking to some staff.  After a few minutes the two of them went out the back way.  My friend and I were 100% positive it was the same girl. There was the possible she just looked young, but it still scummy to take advantage of your fans.

Oh god that is just sick. Why havent the Staff said something about that whatsoever.

ARE THE LAWS SO INCOMPETENT?!?!?!?!

Posted

I agree with you there that why i always cringe whenever funi annouces a new dub because they could do a better job with casting instead of hiring the same VA for any anime they do decide to dub. Fruits basket is one of my fav shoujo anime from them  and i also agree most of their good dubs is from year ago 2000-2007 and after that they stop giving a shit.

You've got to look at Funimation as a company. They've got a side business making Christian videos and such and apparently the people at the top are very religious. A lot of the popular and more current VAs for the company were religious themselves and very vocal like Vic. 

Funimation is another thing that needs it's own thread. The current drama going on with Chris Sabat and a lot of their current DBZ actors is mind boggling.

Posted (edited)

You've got to look at Funimation as a company. They've got a side business making Christian videos and such and apparently the people at the top are very religious. A lot of the popular and more current VAs for the company were religious themselves and very vocal like Vic. 

Funimation is another thing that needs it's own thread. The current drama going on with Chris Sabat and a lot of their current DBZ actors is mind boggling.

I am looking at it as a company and they really shouldn't force their belifes on their viewers because most of the anime they do dub comes out of Japan and Japan has a small christan population. Religion has a small role in anime as a whole anyway. If they were a good company like they think they are, they would stop using the same VA in every recent anime and let New VA have a chance. It a shame that companies like VIZ media or Sentai Film dont even eat into their pockets  or have any of the good VA like they use too.

Edited by Fairyduster

Posted

I am looking at it as a company and they really shouldnt force their belifes on their viewers because most of the anime they do dub comes out of Japan and Japan has a small christan population. Religion has a small role in anime as a hole anyway. If they were a good company like they think they are they would stop using the same VA in every recent anime and let New VA have a chance. It a shame that companies like VIZ media or Sentai Film dont even eat into their pockets  or have any of the good VA like they use too.

Exactly. They shouldn't be, but they do. It's almost cult like at this point, which is why they continually use the same people over and over.  

Posted

Oh god that is just sick. Why havent the Staff said something about that whatsoever.
ARE THE LAWS SO INCOMPETENT?!?!?!?!

While some cons have wised up and banned his sorry ass, this con I always went to bent over backwards to make him happy. He was such a big guest for them.  When they started holding the con on Easter weekend, they even let Vic hold his own church sermon on Sunday.  They said it was for Christians that couldn't make it to church because they were at the con.  However, if you really felt the need for that then your ass should have gone to your own church or leave the con to a local church in the area.  It was really just about a bunch of fangirls and fanboys watching a VA pretending to be preacher and shoving his beliefs down his fan's throats.

Posted

While some cons have wised up and banned his sorry ass, this con I always went to bent over backwards to make him happy. He was such a big guest for them.  When they started holding the con on Easter weekend, they even let Vic hold his own church sermon on Sunday.  They said it was for Christians that couldn't make it to church because they were at the con.  However, if you really felt the need for that then your ass should have gone to your own church or leave the con to a local church in the area.  It was really just about a bunch of fangirls and fanboys watching a VA pretending to be preacher and shoving his beliefs down his fan's throats.

Oh Jebus I wiould of said. Take it to a local church and give a sermon there. Cons are for people of all faiths not just Christians

Posted

Exactly. They shouldn't be, but they do. It's almost cult like at this point, which is why they continually use the same people over and over.  

To be fair, Funimation has slowly been trying to incorporate new VA's. For example, the series Nanbaka only has one big ticket name in the lead roles, that being Ian Sinclair. The rest of the cast is entirely new faces or VA's who have only had really small supporting roles. So they're getting there. I would personally rather have them slowly introduce new VA's rather than casting entire series with new faces. They have been trying to only include 1-2 big ticket names on their recent simuldubs, save for the super popular series where they can't afford to take the risk.