• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

hyulari

363 posts in this topic

Posted

For me, I like Hillary’s vids bc of how chill they are, like her voice is very soothing and the videos just have an overall quiet mood to them. 

Posted

yesssss i always think the exact same thing

i think she can get away with it tho cause she's really pretty and ppl will watch her content regardless

LOL i agree she only looks good coz she's already naturally pretty. your makeup skills can be shit if you're not that ugly to begin with.

Posted

Am I the only one who doesn't find her pretty? :alpacaconfused: Other than her eyes, I don't think there's anything about her that stands out.

Posted

LOL i agree she only looks good coz she's already naturally pretty. your makeup skills can be shit if you're not that ugly to begin with.

lol agreed

but I don’t even think her makeup skills are bad I just think her looks are not versatile enough to make tutorials? This isn’t just her though I’ve seen this with a lot of girls with lots of ig followers who try to start making YouTube videos 

Posted

i feel like she doesn't want to experiment, as it's a way of keeping within her comfort zone. she knows what works and doesn't want to stray from that, in case they don't look good on her. i think she could gain a large following if she did more experimental looks. i thought she was kinda boring and her super quiet voice kinda annoyed me bc i couldn't hear what she was saying most of the time. but i think she's becoming a lil more social (maybe only when she's with other people since i haven't watched her latest makeup tutorial). in the collab with karen (iamkareno) she showed a lot of more of her personality as opposed to her normal videos where she's filming by herself. just an observation!

if you haven't seen it (but it's quite long - 25 mins):

Posted

I think hyulari is just a regular girl who somehow got ig famous and turned to youtube (don't know how exactly she blew up though), but she doesn't seem problematic or anything and her circle of friends like tracy and her bf seem pretty cute. look forward to seeing how she grows as a content creator! 

Posted

I think hyulari is just a regular girl who somehow got ig famous and turned to youtube (don't know how exactly she blew up though), but she doesn't seem problematic or anything and her circle of friends like tracy and her bf seem pretty cute. look forward to seeing how she grows as a content creator! 

i totally agree! I personally like her, her makeup is my style; it’s very subtle but « dramatic » at the same time! 

Posted

i think (not positiveee) she blew up from this photo ( now deleted off her IG i believe; i found it off google lol) but a lot of people thought she was korean so the photo was posted on a lot of korean-based aesthetics account (cringey ik) and quite a lot of people used it as their icons on tumblr/ig

44D2124D-2584-4F30-8149-8E207404C6B8.jpeg

Posted

i think (not positiveee) she blew up from this photo ( now deleted off her IG i believe; i found it off google lol) but a lot of people thought she was korean so the photo was posted on a lot of korean-based aesthetics account (cringey ik) and quite a lot of people used it as their icons on tumblr/ig

not surprised, everyone’s into the “ulzzang” pretty girl, literally my profile picture. she is naturally very pretty, but i think i can see why she stays away from heavy-handed makeup and looks that aren’t the typical “natural” looks. not saying she looks weird, but this look doesn’t suit her features imo 

Posted

not surprised, everyone’s into the “ulzzang” pretty girl, literally my profile picture. she is naturally very pretty, but i think i can see why she stays away from heavy-handed makeup and looks that aren’t the typical “natural” looks. not saying she looks weird, but this look doesn’t suit her features imo 

totally agree in which it doesn't suit her features. i'd like to see her try something more dramatic though, not just your typical red lip/nude/pinkish aesthetic. i reckon green could really bring out her eye colour -- which I also feel like she edits a bit since it seems to be one of her strongest selling points. 

Posted

she actually lives in my district and attended oak grove high school and was a complete bitch

Posted (edited)

"I don't think she's that pretty she's just really average" - Relevance? Why are we bagging on girls for their looks? If you're going to talk about reasons why she's problematic why is this relevant at all? I don't think this is relevant in any topic. The fact that I personally think she's really cute doesn't matter, but dumb comments like these are the reasons why lots of beauty YouTubers end up getting plastic surgery because people are scrutinizing them for their looks. Don't be that person lmao. If you have something negative to say, be constructive.

Prom look - No one owns a look, and I don't think the hairstyle and makeup was particularly groundbreaking. If it was particularly innovative, I'd understand but all in all, this was Hillary's prom. This wasn't just for the vlog, but for her personal experience and if she was feeling the look, then she was feeling the look.

Koreabooness - I'm Korean, and I have a major gripe with people that fetishize and use Korean culture for weird reasons. However, all I'm really seeing is that she gravitates towards K-beauty standards rather than Western beauty standards and I don't think Koreans can necessarily stake claim on the trends. There are weird ass people that legitimately try to look Asian and they look really freaky, but I think Hillary's just gaining inspiration from them. However, I do hold anyone that's not Korean and indulges in Korean culture at arm's length, so we'll see. But I do want to say that Southeastern Asians are stigmatized for being typically darker-skinned or being "jungle Asian" (I cringe even typing it out), so honestly if there's an issue at all, it might be due to insecurity. But I'm not Hillary. I might be completely wrong and I don't want to put words in her mouth because it's her relationship to her culture, not mine. I haven't really formed a solid opinion on this but I think other Koreans should be mindful where this all comes from. If she shows that she's straight up fetishizing Korean culture, then I'm immediately unsubscribing, but that's not really what I'm seeing. This all applies to Jessica Vu as well, although she did straight up say that she's not really engaged in K-pop and all that anymore. Also saying that it's all a marketing ploy... that's a stretch. Let's be real. But again, I'll wait and see.

Editing style/aesthetic - Yeah, it's not anything new. I don't think it's anything to shit on her for, but yeah.

Makeup style and skills/fashion style - I think she does prefer natural looks and I respect that, but I would very much like to see a differentiation with her looks. Obviously, we don't really know what's going on through her head, but I think she is playing it safe. In her GRWM with Karen, she said that she had only started experimenting with makeup when she was 15/16. I think a combination of her self-consciousness and lack of experience is contributing to her slightly boring looks, but I'm giving it time. As for her fashion sense, it's cute. I mean, all YouTubers fit some sort of fashion niche and I don't see many that develop their own incredibly idiosyncratic style. All those "How to be bougie on a budget" vids? The same satin dresses, the same strappy heels. So again, not sure if this is something to really judge her for.

Eyelid glue/whatever - Honestly, I personally don't care but from what I'm seeing, she's self-conscious of her place in social media. I don't think it's healthy if she is lying and things can only be kept secret for so long, but she's also like 17? She's not even 18 yet. Social media is a potent place and being in that place and being young can really mess with your head if you're not super self-aware.

Attitude - People lie on the Internet all the time so all these giant rants about rumors about the kind of person she is is a bit... unfounded to say the least. And people twist things all the time, like I know people have straight up lied about me because they feel insecure or whatever so I'm going to be really skeptical. If she is a bit snotty, I will be disappointed but I think that's pretty natural when you're young and am building a life on social media. Not saying that it's good, but it's what happens. If she is snottier than she is sweet, I hope she grows out of it because if she plans on continuing her career on YouTube while having a snobby attitude and being insecure, she's only going to spiral.

All in all, if you don't like her aesthetic then don't watch. I do think she could improve and innovate especially since she doesn't upload a lot, and I hope she matures because I do agree that there's room for growth. But I do see potential for her to be a pretty cool force on YouTube.

• Just wanted to correct that it was her homecoming that she took inspiration from. Yea no one owns the look, but I thought it would be interesting to bring up since after she did admit that she took inspiration, she took down the pictures afterwards. 
  • She turned 18 last year (born on Sept 19 1999) 
  • I knew her since she was 16, so I am quite aware of her transition in terms of style and makeup. I personally don't believe it's due to self consciousness, but rather because she doesn't know how to portray herself online. Being self conscious and not knowing how to portray yourself online are two different things. She's definitely confident in herself, just not the cocky confident type. She knows her angles &  what does and doesn't look good on her. *Can confirm this because we know each other and have mutual friends*
  • It would be unfair if I didn't bring up about her originality tbqh. There's ton of Youtubers and Instagrammers who take inspiration from other people and they get shit on about it all the time. Not that I'm defending them, but it doesn't mean that she shouldn't get shit on about it. For people to be praising her about it is like a slap on the face for those who "created" that certain style. Who am I kidding though we're all unoriginal, let's b real :ph34r:
  • She does take inspiration from K-beauty and style, but she's laying it low. With Kpop starting to become bigger in the states, most beauty gurus *cough* iamkareno *cough* Michelle Phan *cough*  will do whatever to bring it up in order to gain fame and money from it. She was a lot more open about it and being a Kpop fan a few years back, but I can see why she's laying it low now. 
  • I wouldn't say she's not a Koreaboo due to the fact that she didn't answer questions whether or not she was Vietnamese and kept people "wondering" awhile back in 2014/2015 (?) *I don't remember the exact year so if anyone remember, feel free to pitch in* The only reason why she's more open about being Vietnamese now is because apparently being proud of your culture is "in." 
  • With Jessica Vu, any of her old followers would know that she was trying to disassociated herself from Kpop/Kbeauty/Kfashion back in 2014 and 2015 because being an IG baddie was a trend. It's a marketing ploy because why try to make it seem like you're all over it now when just a few years ago you were "Kpop? Kbeauty? I'm done with it bye"  Especially fangirling over Jay Park nonstop smh. Her reason to not engage with it smells like bs because she would've disassociate everything altogether. 
  • Back to Hillary, but I personally don't care whether or not she wears eyelid glue or contacts LOL she's old enough to know what got her her following so you do you boo. 

She chose to put herself out on social media, so of course people are going to say all sort of things about her including her looks. It's "dumb" but then again here we all are. There's going to be people like you and there's going to be people like me. I apologize if what I said about her looks was offensive. It wasn't meant to be taken that way, but I'm just throwing in my two cents :alpacaheadshake:

Edited by tonyang
grammar oops

Posted

are those her natural eyes?? i remember being them more round but idk 

Posted

I might be wrong, but her eyes are more brown than green if I remembered correctly. Could also be the lightning and/or contact lenses :alpacasad: