• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

How do y'all lose weight?

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi! I'm not really here to lose weight as I am already underweight, but I do have love handles and I'd like to get rid of them. Any tips? 

I'd probably focus on strength training! Do more weight exercises and abs related exercises while maintaining clean diet. Do cardio too to get rid of fat.

Edited by vellichor

Posted

Hi! I'm not really here to lose weight as I am already underweight, but I do have love handles and I'd like to get rid of them. Any tips?

I was under the impression that spot weight loss is a myth? Like targeting areas to lose weight wont work, either it's the whole body or nothing. I may be wrong though if anyone can give a differing opinion. ^_^

Posted

Diet change is always a good way to go. Went plant based for the sake of making my lifestyle healthier and I did lose ten pounds in the first month but that was also due to the fact that I run. Running is super good because you can burn a lot of calories (ideally a mile=100 calories) so I suggest doing that even a few miles a day consistently does the body a lot of good. Cut way back on processed foods and lean more on loads of vegetables, whole grains, and fruits. It's super easy to just forget about a good diet and go for the nearest bag of chips so try to stray away from that. That being said drink loads and loads of ice water I find it easier to down than regular room temp water

Posted (edited)

Thought this would be the right thread to contribute about weight issues and try to reach out for support.

Break down: 

1.    Through about 14 years old never worried about weight. Always really skinny.

2.    Puberty hit and began to form a natural hour glass figure. Hated it. Still didn’t worry about food intake. Wasn’t until end of senior year had old clothes actually gotten too small.

3.    Left for school first time, also first experience in total control over what foods were offered. With a bank account paid by parents went a bit crazy. Gained over 30lbs. 

4.    Over the next ten years it ballooned up to about 180lbs on 5’7” frame. Hated it but did nothing real to change. Understood nothing about calories. 

5.    Three years ago suffered a major crisis. Struggled to eat for two months. Went from over 160lbs to 140lbs in two months.

6.    Got first taste of not feeling fat in many, many years.

7.    Since then it has been an yo-yo battle. Smallest 124lbs, now 134. Low weight has become important because fashion has been apart of career.

It takes extreme and unhealthy measures to control my engagement with food. But that is because my relationship with food is extreme and unhealthy; I have the same relationship with food as an alcoholic has with alcohol. Sadly, we can get away from alcohol and live but food is not the same  

Right now I want to get back to 125lbs to try and get more jobs again. I was hired more frequently when I was that small. Not only that, but I felt more mentally confident. I do react extremely bad when I see the weight go up, but to me that is just a cue to work harder to keep it down. Luckily I live with highly supportive friends who understand and care to do what they can to help me. When it comes to food I am disorderly, just not enough for medical professionals to get themselves involved in what they see as a non-issue.

I wish this so-called body positivity movement was more intersectional of body issues. There is little cultural support those who want to fight against their food intake’s contribution to a body larger than they want. Everything is treated black and white: you can only be skinny if you don’t want to work for it. My binge eating was very unhealthy, for me mentally and physically. Mentally it ate at my confidence and clouded my judgment.

Because of the measures of required to keep my addictive rating under control I’m immediately cornered as not just a candidate for anorexia, but one who immediately requires medical intervention. We watch my weight, count calories to make sure I’m eating neither too much or too little. I acknowledge that I shouldn’t have to go through such extreme measures, but I do have to because of my unhealthy compulsion to eat food. 

Edited by perfume
Formatting improvement and adding more details.

Posted

Thought this would be the right thread to contribute about weight issues and try to reach out for support.

Break down: 

1.    Through about 14 years old never worried about weight. Always really skinny.

2.    Puberty hit and began to form a natural hour glass figure. Hated it. Still didn’t worry about food intake. Wasn’t until end of senior year had old clothes actually gotten too small.

3.    Left for school first time, also first experience in total control over what foods were offered. With a bank account paid by parents went a bit crazy. Gained over 30lbs. 

4.    Over the next ten years it ballooned up to about 180lbs on 5’7” frame. Hated it but did nothing real to change. Understood nothing about calories. 

5.    Three years ago suffered a major crisis. Struggled to eat for two months. Went from over 160lbs to 140lbs in two months.

6.    Got first taste of not feeling fat in many, many years.

7.    Since then it has been an yo-yo battle. Smallest 124lbs, now 134. Low weight has become important because fashion has been apart of career.

It takes extreme and unhealthy measures to control my engagement with food. But that is because my relationship with food is extreme and unhealthy; I have the same relationship with food as an alcoholic has with alcohol. Sadly, we can get away from alcohol and live but food is not the same  

Right now I want to get back to 125lbs to try and get more jobs again. I was hired more frequently when I was that small. Not only that, but I felt more mentally confident. I do react extremely bad when I see the weight go up, but to me that is just a cue to work harder to keep it down. Luckily I live with highly supportive friends who understand and care to do what they can to help me. When it comes to food I am disorderly, just not enough for medical professionals to get themselves involved in what they see as a non-issue.

I wish this so-called body positivity movement was more intersectional of body issues. There is little cultural support those who want to fight against their food intake’s contribution to a body larger than they want. Everything is treated black and white: you can only be skinny if you don’t want to work for it. My binge eating was very unhealthy, for me mentally and physically. Mentally it ate at my confidence and clouded my judgment.

Because of the measures of required to keep my addictive rating under control I’m immediately cornered as not just a candidate for anorexia, but one who immediately requires medical intervention. We watch my weight, count calories to make sure I’m eating neither too much or too little. I acknowledge that I shouldn’t have to go through such extreme measures, but I do have to because of my unhealthy compulsion to eat food. 

I've gone through a similar situation
I thought I was in control when I was younger in school 
My clothes were always lose 
But after my parents left me and I had to provide for myself
I had an unbalance way of eating
Some days i had a lot to eat because I felt happy

Other days I was sad and starved myself
I have to control my emotions in order to be healthy

I hope I can make friends to help me control myself
You give me hope <3

Posted

I've gone through a similar situationI thought I was in control when I was younger in school 
My clothes were always lose 
But after my parents left me and I had to provide for myself
I had an unbalance way of eating
Some days i had a lot to eat because I felt happy

Other days I was sad and starved myself
I have to control my emotions in order to be healthy

I hope I can make friends to help me control myself
You give me hope <3

Honestly, when you meet friends you can trust then do not be ashamed of asking for help. Food addiction is real, much like any other substance or behavioral abuse. I hope that in time I won’t need as much measures to keep me under control, and maybe with practice it will become easier. I know that counting calories helps and I treat each calorie like a dollar. So, I have X amount, and I cannot go over.

My close friends are aware of the idea of body positive from tumblr, so it took me a while to break it through their head that part of body positivity is also supporting someone who wants to change their body to fit their psychological needs, whether it is to lose weight, get tattoos or piercings, or get plastic surgery. Though the best comparison I had to put into terms they understood was to compare the feeling I would get when I gained too far was dysphoria, like gender dysphoria, only mine is body (size) dysphoria. It was the price I would pay when I fell off the food addiction wagon. It was only after that which my roommates understand. It also helped one of them, who was even more overweight than I ever was and went from a size 20 to a size 8 just following along with me.

Posted (edited)

Losing weight, especially more than 20 pounds, is difficult. It requires you to make all your own food. NOTHING pre-made and no eating out. You can try counting and restricting calories, but this will require you to buy a digital food scale. Online calorie trackers have databases that are full of inaccurate numbers (I’m looking at you MyFitnessPal!!!), so the only way to really know is to measure and weigh everything you eat. If you still can’t lose weight after cutting calories, go to your doctor. It’s possible that you could be insulin resistant. Don’t waste your money on diet pills or skinny teas! 

Increasing physical activity definitely helps, but you might actually gain muscle mass and therefore gain weight. This isn’t a bad thing, but some people are only looking to lose fat, not gain muscle. 

My suggestion is to talk to your doctor and try to find a nutritionist! I also found the dieting episode of Explained on Netflix to be super enlightening. 

Edit: Going vegetarian or vegan won’t magically make you lose weight. There are plenty of calorie dense foods that have no animal products in them. Remember: Oreos are vegan!

Also: It is extremely unsafe to restrict your calories to anything under 1000! Doctors and nutritionist usually recommend around 1200 calories a day for safe weight loss.

Edited by SadBlythe
Added the part about vegetarianism/veganism and calories

Posted

Hello! 

I'm trying to lose weight myself and have started a ketosis diet today. I never really payed attention to what I ate and now that I think about what I would usually eat in a day I would mostly be eating carbs and not eating enough protein or vegetables. As well as do my best to try and exercise everyday (even if its a small workout thats not very intense) 

Posted (edited)

nvm

Edited by Kimplysenna
nvm

Posted

Intermittent fasting has actually helped me slim down some! I’m loving it. I’d recommend it to everyone, as long as you have a healthy relationship with food. I do the 16/8 version.

Posted

good luck to you! My bf just started ketosis. Which just realize its not good for a long term diet! He plans to do it three months. I personally am not because im vegan. I am trying to not eat bad carbs like pasta because it makes me feel bad i realize. (I just made it last night and ugh). Rice can be okay for some people but not me.

Im mostly eating veggies, sweet potatoes, lentils, tofu and oatmeal with some fruit thrown in.  I do have cheat meals some times but i still watch my in take. 

I just started going to the gym and i hope it works. Right now ive been at gym 5 days a week doing stair climber for 30 minutes or 100 levels. I feel really good and ive gotten leaner but no weightloss. Its only been a month though. Im actually planning on a strength training weights/machine routine but i gotta dig out this gym guide from last year. I hope it works! 

Thank You I hope it works for you as well ! I plan on challenging myself to stick to this diet for a moth for now and maybe a bit longer if I fell it works well. But I definitely will not be on this diet long term.  :alpacasad:

Posted

i go by the 80/20 rule for a more flexible diet. 80% is prioritizing nutrition dense foods, eating less carbs from sugary drinks/snacks/fast food, and more protein. 20% you can still eat junk food if you limit yourself and exercising by doing both cardio and weightlifting. 

Posted

Here's what I've been doing to slim down. So far, I've lost about 13 lbs in a matter of three months! 

*Don't take the lazy way to my destination. Climb every escalator. Ride my bike to destinations within a 30 min radius. 

*Don't keep unhealthy snacks in the house. Healthy snacks include yogurt, fruit, dried squid (I live in Japan), wakame soup and konyaku jelly. Having unhealthy snacks around is just too tempting for me!

*Limit MOST meals to a MAX of 400 calories, but ideally in the 200 range. You can occasionally go out and treat yourself to a bigger meal with friends, but those meals are treats, not regular occurrences. 

*Stay busy. If you are watching Netflix or YouTube, keep yourself busy doing something else as well so you won't be tempted to mindlessly snack.

*Round up with calories. Calories are just an estimate and some say this estimate can be off by as much as 100 calories. So I round up to the nearest hundred and limit myself to about 1200 calories per day.

*When you're hungry, drink some water or tea and then wait a bit. Still hungry? Grab a healthy snack! Occasionally treat yourself to a sweet, but be aware of leftover calories.

Diets that completely deny you the right to eat certain foods are the ones that fail. That's why I haven't cut anything out entirely. 

Posted (edited)

-

Edited by Meredith

Posted

I was under the impression that spot weight loss is a myth? Like targeting areas to lose weight wont work, either it's the whole body or nothing. I may be wrong though if anyone can give a differing opinion. ^_^

Yes it is totally untrue, the most basic and important thing to weight loss is to simply eat less calories. I did keto with my ex when he wanted to lose weight (I didn't need to lose that much weight maybe like 5-6 pounds, I just did it for fun since I didn't wanna eat stuff in front of him that he couldn't eat) and it's okay but all the different diets you see online and on TV and stuff are just all business schemes, even those clubs you see older women going to (I don't want to name any of them) are mostly just fads. A lot of people think that diets are just something you can do once and then you can start eating junk food again after, that isn't really true and you will gain most of the weight back if you go back to your eating habits.

Another way to put it into perspective is that Americans eat the large portions of food on average than any other country in the world and they're like the most obese statistically, countries like Japan have waaaay smaller portions and has less than 5% obesity.

Just eat less calories, this becomes 100% easier if you can cook for yourself, like, if you can cook even basic stuff like chicken (red meat isn't good for you really so just have chicken!) you will be waaaaaaaay better off. One chicken breast for example is super duper filling and is maybe like 300 calories at most, compared to a bag of chips that is like 1300 calories that you can eat in a sitting and won't even make you feel full. Also if you drink soda or beer you should stop if you want to lose weight, they have so many calories that it's not even worth drinking them. If you want to get drunk just drink vodka or something instead of beer, it has way less calories.