• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

How do y'all lose weight?

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I tried out myfitnesspal because I've been losing weight but this is way too complicated for me. First off it always switches to the English site and couldn't find a way to return it back to the German one and since I have a food intolerance and bake my own bread and such, it's really complicated listing that bread on this site, I really don't have the time to work around that problem on a daily basis. If some of you can relate, I'd say the best is to figure out how much you need to take in everyday to lose weight and just count your calories on your own, old-fashioned... open a document in open office, word, or whatever program you have on your computer, count the calories for every meal you had and that's it. That's way easier and faster than doing it on that site. You don't have to deal with all the troubles on that site, it often times doesn't do what you want, you have to weirdly duplicate your servings, which often times doesn't work even, I think some may find it easier to do it the old-fashioned way.

Good luck to ya all!

Edited by ThePumpkinPot

Posted

Intermittent fasting, calorie deficit (obviously), cardio and strength training.

Posted

As much as I hate recommending it as a "diet", I think cutting out as many animal products as possible is great for not only weight loss but bloating as well. It seems as though dairy is a big offender for most people. 

As for exercise, I'd definitely recommend looking into at-home tabata routines. Personally they work great for me because I'm not known for having the best attention span (most I've done average nine minutes plus a warm up/cool down) but they're also pretty intense imo. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by *

Posted

Okay, I have a question (sorry its my first time posting here so sorry if i'm a little lame IDK if i should post it here but whatever) I'm 18 and I've really been struggling to lose weight, its mainly my arse, thighs and arms that i wanna get slimmer, but I am SUPER shy when it comes to going to the gym, and recently I have had no motivation to lose weight and it has seriously damaged my self esteem, I live in a relatively scummy area so i'm not too keen on going for a jog. If anyone had any advice to help me get my motivation back or if they know of any great workouts to do at home that would be great

Thanks! :alpacacrush:  

Posted

I replace one of my meals with a meal replacer powder drink. 

Posted (edited)

You should do Cassie's workout routines ! Cassie is a famous youtuber known as Blogilates and she makes fun, effective, short workouts. You should totally check her out ! Her workouts are so easy and you can do them in your room. She changed so many people's lives ! She has calendars on her website that you can print out too, they tell you exactly what workout to do each day. Another effective and easy way for you to loose weight would be running. Did you know that by running minimum 30 minutes each day you can loose one pound? I know your neighbor hood is unsafe, so maybe you could use a treadmill at a local gym? Also please don't stave yourself ! Binge-eating is super bad because you gain all the wait back and detrimental to your health. I am glad you are safe *hug* :alpacacrush: Please be patient ok? :( Loosing weight might take months but it is all worth it in the end. You don't need to count calories or replace your meals. Like Lumineux said, it's a lifestyle change. Just stay away from bread, soda, and junk-food. Make home cooked meals. If you are craving something, just find a healthier alternative. Learn to appreciate food and eat mindfully. Try food from different countries ! There are so many yummy/healthy foods out there. Good luck :D

Edited by sephrina

Posted

Okay, I have a question (sorry its my first time posting here so sorry if i'm a little lame IDK if i should post it here but whatever) I'm 18 and I've really been struggling to lose weight, its mainly my arse, thighs and arms that i wanna get slimmer, but I am SUPER shy when it comes to going to the gym, and recently I have had no motivation to lose weight and it has seriously damaged my self esteem, I live in a relatively scummy area so i'm not too keen on going for a jog. If anyone had any advice to help me get my motivation back or if they know of any great workouts to do at home that would be great

there are lots of at home work out tutuorials on YouTube to check out for, I'm not sure who to refer you to though, as I only looked at ones targeting weird areas of my body like calves and upper back. Also, make it into a lifestyle change, eat less of carbs and sugary things. Drink lots of green tea to maintain weight (green tea help me so much with losing and maintaining and I can't get enough of it now) and you should be fine... personally in my opinion any changes to your diet that restrict you 100% from certain foods, are not good diets and has a good chance of you crashing and gaining all of that weight back again. Anyway, there's lots of videos on YouTube, just look for the ones that have good views and ratings I suppose, I also recommend doing HIIT workouts. 

Posted

I fell off the wagon a couple of weeks ago after doing well on my diet for a few months. I've kept my training sessions with my personal trainer (She's wicked cheap i don't want anyone to think i'm some spoiled rich kid who STILL can't lose weight or anything, I just got lucky finding someone super affordable) and she's super patient with me even though I flake and reschedule a lot (I always make it to my two training sessions though unless she has to cancel for something).

I've just been sad and tired. My husbando doesn't really help keep our apartment clean so i let it pile up and it destroyed my motivation to not only clean it myself but to cook, which lead to eating out a LOT for the past couple of weeks. My weight went up 5 pounds but then went back down so I think lifting has kept my weight gain in check but i still feel like crap.

But yesterday I got back on track mostly. I started tracking again and made a small amount of progress on cleaning, enough that I can cook again. Our apartment is really disgusting though and I don't know what's wrong with me that I can't bring myself to clean even when I see flies and shit (my husband refuses to do it because it freaks him out, but i do every gross job in our apartment so my energy is just really low when it comes to cleaning).

Lately he's been saying he will help though but I'm not holding my breath. /rant sorry.

I personally use myfitnesspal and I wanna share some tips for using the app, especially for those of you who cook from scratch:

First, if it's something you cook often, enter it into the app. Even if you have to enter every ingredient by hand do it. Then click on "quick tools" and save it as a meal. Now when you make it again you only have to go into your saved meals, and it loads the whole thing in there. Did you leave out an ingredient this time? No problem, add the meal, then delete what you didn't actually eat. 
If you know the nutritional info of a dish (some recipe sites will include the info which is a godsend) then you can similarly create a food with your nutritional info and just add it that way. 

Worse comes to worse, if I have to guess (For ex. didn't weigh the chicken i made or something) i'll aim higher than what I think i ate because it's better to guess high than to lowball it. 

If you have trouble fighting cravings, do what I do when I'm on track: Enter it into MFP FIRST before you even go grab it. Sometimes seeing the calories and sugar and what not shoot up is enough for me to lose my craving and find something else instead. 

Today is the start of day 2 back on the wagon. I have my appointment with my trainer later and I intend to do it even though i didn't sleep and I'm going to be exhausted. I don't know if i should try to sleep and go in to see her groggy, do my usual "one hour nap" before I go in and just power through it (Should be arm day which i can handle more than leg day on little sleep) or just stay up because I usually do better staying up than trying to sleep a shorter amount of time.

Sorry for using this thread as my blog it just feels nice to unload the fact that I had a setback. 

Posted

I use myfitnesspal. I'm slightly overweight for my age & height (I'm 4'11 or 149 cm) and I've been on a 1000 calories diet for a month. I lost 5 pounds so far and my goal is to weigh 95-100 pounds (43-45 kg). So far, I've been counting my calories and exercising more. Why a 1000 calorie diet? Well, I did my research and I found out a few of my favorite celebrities use that diet to stay fit. I noticed I am losing inches on my waist (I went from 30 inches to 28 inches; my goal is 24-26 inch waist). Eating right helps you lose weight, but exercise will help you more in the long run to keep It off.

Posted

I got you !

i personally don't want to lose a ton of weight i just want to tone up a bit especially in the stomach area so i just started to eat more healthy i never had any problem with food i just ate big portions i guess?? so about 3weeks i started to reduce them, sleep early drink way more water than usual, i don't really eat meat that much and same for dairy so it doesnt bother me to cut down those two, count calories and eat less for dinner at night and i started to work out too between 30 to 50minutes per day 5 time a week I prefer to do it at home too (I tried going to the gym with a friend but it was boring within the 5 first minutes) using keaira lashae's videos she has her own yt channel but also did Burn to the beat videos on BeFit yt channel some videos last between 10-20mn so i suggest doing couple of those and it's great I love her videos she's always encouraging you throughout the whole videos, definitely check it out ! I'm starting to notice some changes in the waist/Stomach area so I'm going to keep doing those until i'm satisfied 

Posted

Rowing. It's a killer exercise that combines cardio and strength training. 

Posted

Something that helped me was very small amounts of rice and vegetables. I make a lot of stir-fry, my favourite being string beans, carrot and broccoli on top of a little cup of rice. The vegetables are very nutritious and the rice will fill you up so you only need a small amount. Occasionally add a meat of your choosing (preferably not red) and you're set to go. There's so many different sauces and vegetables you can add to your meals too, so you don't get too bored of eating it. 

For snacks, small amounts of grain and fruit do wonders. Looking into basic workouts to do after meals is the best way to go. 

Don't completely cut out sweets/junk from your diet, just have very small amounts on occasion (once a month of every 2.5-3 weeks) so the cravings don't get the better of you. Eventually the junk will become disgusting and you'll wonder how you ever handled it in the first place.

It's a long, not easy journey but it's so worth it. I hope this helps!! :alpacacrush: 

Posted

the less you eat and the more you exercise the more weight you will lose.

Posted

Hi! I'm not really here to lose weight as I am already underweight, but I do have love handles and I'd like to get rid of them. Any tips?