• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

How do y'all lose weight?

61 posts in this topic

Posted

So I decided to finally lose weight after years. I want to lose 50-60 pounds. I am 154 lbs and i want to be around 100 ideally. But realistically I want to be 115-120 by May. Can any of you put any exercise routines or healthy recipes/tips to lose weight. I can't go run everyday :( because I live in an "unsafe" neighbourhood, but I do play soccer on the weekdays. Do you have any exercises you can do in small cramped spaces that actually work?

Anyway I kind of wanted to create this thread to help eachother out show how we lost weight. I lost 10 pounds in less than a week by starving ( i know very bad, won't do it again ever) though but now I just binge eat and i gained it all back. I plan on just skipping dinner since one of my relatives told me thats how she dropped so much weight. she doesn't eat past 2pm.

Posted

Make sure the weight you want to be won't be considered underweight for your height and age. Its simple as burn more calories than you gain. Its best to avoid dairy, but if you can't, have a palm sized amount. Seafood and meat is fine, don't over do it. Grains and cereals (such as oats and wheat not cereal brands btw) those are fine. Primarily vegetables, then fruit, then grains and cereal, then meat and see food. Avoid fast food and typical junk food. If you feel you need sugar, fruit. Plenty of water is important as well. Its hard to lose weight when you eat lots of unhealthy stuff and do a little bit of exercise ^_^

With the exercise, I do sit ups/curl ups and stretching (stretching because I'm flexible and want to keep that). Since I'm usually cleaning cupboards and vaccuming because *clean freak*, it also helps out (I just googled it). With my house you can basically walk in a loop as the lounge room and kitchen are joined up to each other and the hallway and I just walk around. Listening to music can also make you feel energised. Hopefully this helps :alpacacrush:

Posted

How tall are you? 100 seems too little unless ur real short. Also don't skip meals eat three to six meals, instead of skipping eat smaller portions, choose things with lesser calories. I use an app called MyFitnessPal it helps you track your calories and helps you figure out how many you need to lose weight. Also i would not recommend starving yourself, it actually slows down your metabolism bc ur body is trying to conserve energy when you starve.(im not saying this to you specifically but if anyone else reading who wants to lose weight plans on losing it like that i just want them to know)

Posted

As for the motivation and inspiration aspect i recommend making an instagram account just for dieting purposes and following other dieters.
I find people using the #다이어터 #dietgram hashtags. it gives me some inspo on what to eat and some work out ideas 
And you can post your own food on there daily, it'll probably motivate you to eat good things since you're posting on a public platform 

Posted

actually because i eat rice three meals a day that's the first thing i removed from my diet. at the same time i set a goal of working out 6 days a week-only half an hour to 45 minutes per day so i don't burn out.

from then on i cleaned up my diet slowly--no processed food only fuits and veg. i tried goiing vegan but only became vegetarian for a while-- but surely and kept at it. i'm now at my lightest in my adult life.  good luck~ 

Posted

Generally speaking: drink more tea, eat a full breakfast and by night a really light meal such as soup, cut down the most processed food from your diet (I say the most, because pratically everything we buy is processed in some way or another), less red meat, more veggies... Oh, and workout.

Personally speaking: I am really petite (5'0 / 1,52) and not very active, so i try to not eat lot even though I have a pretty good metabolism. Whenever I feel the need for a snack, I usually eat nuts or almonds. Dry fruits are highly caloric but also the some of the healthiest things you can eat, especially almonds. I also tend to drink a looooot of caffeine, normally 2 espressos + 3 mugs of green tea per day. These drinks really boost your metabolism and can help you lose weight, such as the belly, but of course you must be careful with your blood pressure because of all this caffeine. Last but not least, I am pescetarian - in other words, I do eat meat but just fish and ocasionally seafood. In my country we are accustomed to the mediterranean diet, it is one of the healthiest/balanced eating habits out there and I'd recommend it to anyone, particularly if you like fish/seafood and tons of olive oil :D

Posted

Make sure the weight you want to be won't be considered underweight for your height and age. Its simple as burn more calories than you gain. Its best to avoid dairy, but if you can't, have a palm sized amount. Seafood and meat is fine, don't over do it. Grains and cereals (such as oats and wheat not cereal brands btw) those are fine. Primarily vegetables, then fruit, then grains and cereal, then meat and see food. Avoid fast food and typical junk food. If you feel you need sugar, fruit. Plenty of water is important as well. Its hard to lose weight when you eat lots of unhealthy stuff and do a little bit of exercise ^_^

With the exercise, I do sit ups/curl ups and stretching (stretching because I'm flexible and want to keep that). Since I'm usually cleaning cupboards and vaccuming because *clean freak*, it also helps out (I just googled it). With my house you can basically walk in a loop as the lounge room and kitchen are joined up to each other and the hallway and I just walk around. Listening to music can also make you feel energised. Hopefully this helps :alpacacrush:

thank you so much. I'll definitely try out your routine.

How tall are you? 100 seems too little unless ur real short. Also don't skip meals eat three to six meals, instead of skipping eat smaller portions, choose things with lesser calories. I use an app called MyFitnessPal it helps you track your calories and helps you figure out how many you need to lose weight. Also i would not recommend starving yourself, it actually slows down your metabolism bc ur body is trying to conserve energy when you starve.(im not saying this to you specifically but if anyone else reading who wants to lose weight plans on losing it like that i just want them to know)

I'm 5'2 (159 cm). As you can see i'm pretty short so it's ideal for me. I know I shouldn't skip meals and I won't. I tried it before and I didn't lose much.

As for the motivation and inspiration aspect i recommend making an instagram account just for dieting purposes and following other dieters.
I find people using the #다이어터 #dietgram hashtags. it gives me some inspo on what to eat and some work out ideas 
And you can post your own food on there daily, it'll probably motivate you to eat good things since you're posting on a public platform 

Wow I actually never through about uploading my food. I'll definitely give it a try. I've tried where you write down what food you eat but I get so unmotivated. I think the instagram diet account thing would change me. Thank you so much!

Generally speaking: drink more tea, eat a full breakfast and by night a really light meal such as soup, cut down the most processed food from your diet (I say the most, because pratically everything we buy is processed in some way or another), less red meat, more veggies... Oh, and workout.

Personally speaking: I am really petite (5'0 / 1,52) and not very active, so i try to not eat lot even though I have a pretty good metabolism. Whenever I feel the need for a snack, I usually eat nuts or almonds. Dry fruits are highly caloric but also the some of the healthiest things you can eat, especially almonds. I also tend to drink a looooot of caffeine, normally 2 espressos + 3 mugs of green tea per day. These drinks really boost your metabolism and can help you lose weight, such as the belly, but of course you must be careful with your blood pressure because of all this caffeine. Last but not least, I am pescetarian - in other words, I do eat meat but just fish and ocasionally seafood. In my country we are accustomed to the mediterranean diet, it is one of the healthiest/balanced eating habits out there and I'd recommend it to anyone, particularly if you like fish/seafood and tons of olive oil :D

Thanks! I'll definitely try to be on a mediterranean diet. Seems pretty easy to go into as my family mostly eats seafood! and thanks for the caffeine suggestion. Gives me a reason to drink more coffee and tea

actually because i eat rice three meals a day that's the first thing i removed from my diet. at the same time i set a goal of working out 6 days a week-only half an hour to 45 minutes per day so i don't burn out.

from then on i cleaned up my diet slowly--no processed food only fuits and veg. i tried goiing vegan but only became vegetarian for a while-- but surely and kept at it. i'm now at my lightest in my adult life.  good luck~ 

I plan on trying to do the same as you. I think i'll add more days of exercise. Basically 7 days a week, since I am an "athlete" and need to get more in shape for lacrosse. Btw what do you do for your exercises?

Posted

i did hiit. high intensity interval training. i love it so much. im not so much of a gym girl. i dont like treadmills. also i prefer getting fit at home im embarassed to do it outside so...

Posted

i did hiit. high intensity interval training. i love it so much. im not so much of a gym girl. i dont like treadmills. also i prefer getting fit at home im embarassed to do it outside so...

I think i'll try it. It's not that I'm embarrassed to workout outside but I just can't. its too dangerous.

Posted

I think i'll try it. It's not that I'm embarrassed to workout outside but I just can't. its too dangerous.

how is it dangerous?  is it the area where you live in? i probably worded that wrongly. i meant, if i was given a nice track to run in i would still rather workout at home. not a running type too. basically im just lazy with lots of things excepts for workouts i can do at home.

Posted

Personally: I've lost 10kg in a year and I just do around an hour of walking.(to my school) For breakfast I make myself a smoothie and I find that a smoothie really helps. Also, consuming small blocks of dark chocolate between meals. Or eating eggs and toast or apples as snacks when you're craving food. 

*I am not a professional, I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Posted

I think counting calories is effective. And cutting out sugar/sweets + limit red meat. 

Posted

how is it dangerous?  is it the area where you live in? i probably worded that wrongly. i meant, if i was given a nice track to run in i would still rather workout at home. not a running type too. basically im just lazy with lots of things excepts for workouts i can do at home.

I live in a "ghetto" neighborhood. I don't think it's ghetto but there are bad things that happen and i'm not going to run at night or in the morning risking my life. I'd probably be mugged or shot. Oh i get you now.

Personally: I've lost 10kg in a year and I just do around an hour of walking.(to my school) For breakfast I make myself a smoothie and I find that a smoothie really helps. Also, consuming small blocks of dark chocolate between meals. Or eating eggs and toast or apples as snacks when you're craving food. 

*I am not a professional, I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Wow! Thanks! I'll get it a go. I think the dark chocolate thing will help with my cravings. Hopefully i have a big change.

Posted

If you want to work out but inside, I am all about the online yoga videos. My fav. are Yoga with Adriene on youtube because she is an adorable, relatable spaz. I do one or two a day & she has a few different 30-day challenges which are nice if you are just starting. Plus she is super body positive.

Posted

i use the myfitnesspal site and app! it asks for ur current weight and ideal weight, how much u excercise, how tall u are and gives u an amount of how much u should eat daily to safely lose weight! i just started a few weeks ago and i really like it :)

i can't work out at the moment for personal reasons so i chose to just eat the healthy minimum i need. at the end of the day it says how much you will weigh in 5 weeks if you were to eat that much every day! it's very motivating and i like it a lot, i love it :) a good addition to your plans imo