• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you.

4chan.org

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I've noticed that 4chan.org has been going through quite a metamorphosis since years ago. It feels like the board has lived for so long that now it is entering that bitter old age stage of life. /b/, their once popular board and former meme factory, is now nothing but unfunny spam. The other boards, including /lgbt/ and even /mlp/, seems like it is being consumed by the idiocy of /pol/. /pol/ is now a hive mind for Trump followers who cannot even make up their own minds any more. Moot is gone. The board is changing or may have already transitioned to something else. I get the feeling that this quote accurately describes them to a tee now.

"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company."

While I wasn't there for the initial launch in 2003. This website has been much of my teenage and adult life.  I am still unsure if this is a blessing or a curse. Maybe I am just growing bitter with the entire world and humanity though.

Does anyone here who has been to 4chan feel the same way?

Posted

I agree with you. I feel like current day 4chan is on the same level as Reddit. It's soo vanilla (I mean, 4chan is/was supposed to be this soulless hellhole full of deviants). I think what made 4chan so shocking and controversial, like 12-13 years ago, was the fact that the users were .. idk, I think "everyday people" is the wrong term, but my point is that the majority of the users weren't outright stupid idiots. A lot of the trolling and stunts they pulled off were well-planned and well-coordinated. They made really big impacts on society, like with Anonymous. Now it's just full of edgelords that lack self awareness and try to be as offensive as possible (but it's super obvious and embarrasing).

I haven't visited 4chan since 2010 (until now) because it was a part of my edgy "I'm not like other girls!! I'm cool and edgy, look at me I'm on 4chan!!"-phase and I quickly grew out of it. It makes me terribly nostalgic though, I used to find the site kinda scary and remember seeing lots of news reports about how dangerous  it was. It's not like I support it or want it to go back to its old ways, but it was just so incredibly infamous and popular in the 2000s. And it's strange to see how much it has changed!

4chan hit its peak about 10+ years ago imo, when it was "raw", politically incorrect and people said whatever they wanted not caring about others getting offended. I'm not saying those are good things, it's just that there is a big contrast between 2007 4chan and 2017 4chan. I was so surprised when I read that there is a lgbt board, like weren't they known for throwing around homophobic slurs?

Posted

I've always only heard bad things about it but I occasionally started using it to get creepy guys to leave me alone (cause 20-30+ year olds would hit on me when I'm only 17) and I know people on there can get pretty nasty. Unfortunately one of my friends had one of her ex-friends post her kik on NSFW forums and she was so scared :alpacaworry:

Posted

i only really browse cgl and fit so my views are probably quite narrow, but it's pretty tame now. cgl is actually getting influenced by tumblr (in my opinion) and fit has some helpful and funny threads though most of it is just posting pics of scantily clad women (as with other several boards lol). 

i guess i occasionally browse pol and r9k for the fun of it but most of the guys are so cringey and desperate it just leaves me feeling sorry for them. their views on women is also shit. 

but yeah i have to agree it's definitely not what it used to be, and even "normies" go on it now. 

Posted

I used to go on /b/, but it's changed so much that it almost makes me sad. I missed the good ol' days when /b/ would raid people like "Ghost", a racist bigot with a loud mouth, but now they just harass Twitch streamers just to make them cry.

Nowadays I'm on /vp/ for Pokemon and video game related topics, but it's gotten stale, fast.

:alpacasad:

Posted (edited)

-

Edited by sunumi

Posted

I dunno, nothing stays the same forever man. I always see people (oldfags mostly) pining for 2007, and to a degree I agree. But I think it's more of an internet cultural thing than a 4chan in 2007 specific thing.  If I'm honest I don't think 4chan has really gone down hill (I mean come on, it's 4chan. Is there any lower it can go on that metaphorical hill?). 4chan has and always will be the armpit of the internet, and thats why I love it. I can go on, waste my time reading the boards I like, shitpost and begone. It's out of my system then. 

Sure, there's plenty of people there with shitty opinions, but I'd rather have them be contained on somewhere like /pol/ where they can express their shitty opinions and live in an echo chamber (ironically the same thing these people love to accuse liberals of), rather than have them elsewhere scattered on the internet. It's just a fact of life- people have different opinions and they have a right as much as we do to express them. 

I don't personally really visit the '4chan 4chan boards'. Like the type synonymous with the name such as /b/. Most people that seriously visit 4chan on a regular basis and aren't 13 don't. My hobby homeboards are mainly /cgl/, /mu/ and /x/. I like to go to /adv/ and /r9k/ though, because there are often comfy threads on there, especially /r9k/ if you ignore the woman hate and tfwnogf posters. I often see threads about this very subject on there actually, people just getting comfy and sharing stories from 10 years prior and explaining to newer users to the site the general feel of the site back then. It's interesting. 

Bottom line is, if you visit 4chan just go in with your feelings cast to one side and take everything with a pinch of salt. And if you can't deal with someone using the suffix '-fag' or the word 'cuck' you can always just close the tab.

Posted

4chan is a mess tbh to this day and imo it was always a mess, I used to read stories from /x/ lurk a couple of threads on /a/ and download some stuff from the safe for work "cute anime" imgboards that was abt it

Reddit is a lot more readable in formatting terms although I'm not particularly a fan of their design either but it's a lot less toxic, although it depends on the subreddit. then again 4chan can be less toxic in certain sections. just. very certain sections. I haven't visited officially in awhile more than just very occasional thread reading from an external google search

Posted (edited)

I agree, I browsed the boards in 2005, and obviously from then, it's changed a great amount. I use to love the carefully planned trolling as well, but now every time you see a "4chan" raid on a stream of some sort, it's lame as fuck and they just spam memes/say unfunny things, and nothing creative what so ever. I agree that now it attracts a lot of people who don't appreciate original content, and mostly just unfunny edgelords. I think personally, 4chan died off the moment their popular memes hit mainstream, and as well as when Reddit started getting popular. From that point on, people who don't even browse 4chan, seem to think Reddit is the creator of all the content that we see from 4chan.

Also, I always see random shitposts on instagram or twitter etc of someone (who doesn't even browse the boards, and is your average irl fuckboy) using a 4chan inside joke/meme but fucking it up till it's no longer funny and losing its meaning. Although the boards they have were all considered dangerous and "scary", it still felt like a secret club that only the most "open" people can go to. I know it sounds kind of "special snowflake teehee" to feel like you're in some sort of a club, but, that was the excitement behind it, however, currently, since everyone pretty much abused the shit out of the sites most popular content, it doesn't feel like a secret haven anymore, and more, dare I say it, feels like a "normie" haven now. 

Plz ignore spoiler from a previous thread 

E41EC31A-0B45-43DD-ADF4-57AC7ABC9157-230-0000001F839C8C79_tmp.png

C1B4AA3F-CB40-484B-ACE5-3DEDD939C1E9-230-0000001F85C2DC0F_tmp.png

D7835006-FA4F-4198-A9EC-B1DAE316678E-230-0000001F86342B09_tmp.png

Edited by Offline

Posted

Mmmhm, definitely. I'm usually over on /u/ but when I visit other boards, I definitely see a change from previous years.

Maybe it's because there's a new generation of people browsing now *shrugs*

Posted

I've not really noticed a difference, probably because I pretty much only use /d/ (which has always been a cesspool of depravity) /ck/ (which is just people getting angry about food,) and /u./ I was never one for /b/ or /pol/ or anything like that. If anything's changed, it's /x/, which used to be a place for actual paranormal events and is now religious "debate" and conspiracy theories.

Posted

Ugh, I think it's horrific that 4chan members are posting fake pictures on twitter under the manchester tag, pretending they're looking for their family members! While people are actually looking for their children! They think it's a joke and its funny. In my opinion it's disgusting and they should be ashamed!