• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

How do you feel when you see some of the snowflakes/instagrammers?

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Even though most of them use a bit of photoshop (or for some; A LOT) they are usually still very pretty behind all that makeup and filters. I'm someone who is really insecure about the way I look and can't for periods of time even look at myself in the mirror, so I just sometimes browse these topics and sigh to myself wishing I had at least some of their facial features. 

I can't possibly be the only one?
How do you guys deal with it?

Edited by boopa

Posted

A lot of the time I feel the same way. But I also remember that they photoshop a lot and they wish to have different features as well. I just sort of try not to think about my outer appearance and focus on studying things that interest me or the inner qualities because by the end of the day they're what makes a person the most attractive.

And I also remember that while there are things I'd like to have, they may not suit my appearance and that chances are that people would like to have some of the things that I myself have. As they say, "the grass is always greener on the other side". 

Overall, I sort of came to terms with my appearance though I feel as if my body and mind are completely separate (sometimes I look in the mirror and don't know who I am looking at) and try to distance myself away from it. I feel like pretty much everybody is average in real life when I see them, so I know that pictures and video is just an idealised version and the same features may not look good in real life.

Posted

Completely agree with House on this.

To add to it..take time for yourself. Like go have a personal shopping/spa day or something. If your budget is tight you can always do cheaper versions by doing those things at home. But if it's all about looks you can look up new makeup tutorials (if you wear it), get a new hair cut, or maybe even try a new fashion/style you like. Also focus on your good traits/qualities vs things you 'don't have'. Like House mentioned I'm sure there are others who admire certain things about you as well :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

On the topic of eating disorders / anorexia: 

I've had an ED much longer than I have been following snowflakes and got an Instagram account. It's interesting to see the discussions of people talking about snowflake's weight. I understand that I am the type of person that projects myself onto other people, perhaps because I so often try to see myself in other's shoes. So when I look at a girl walking down the street, who by all medical definitions is underweight, I think "wow she carries a lot of fat on her arms. how are her calves that thick/! if she fasted for a couple days it might get rid of her stomach bloat". Of course I never say these thoughts to anyone's face because I understand it's just the skewed way my mind thinks. Hence it was quite shocking for me to see people concerned about Yumi's weight in her thread. (I'm 5'5'' and I hover between 96lb - 100lb at the moment.)

It's not body dysmorphia where someone might see themselves as 300lb when they are in fact 100lb, although this is a much more common issue for those with eating disorders. Instead I am very tuned into any bit of flesh that moves, looks too big for my taste, or looks bloated. In general I think my body is fine aside from my upper arms and my thighs. Those are what I identify as my "problem spots" - and why I wish I could selectively lose fat in certain areas. 

So reading PULL can be refreshing since I am trying to recover. When I see users frantically panicking over the weight of people heavier than me, it settles my own anxieties about my weight. I don't have anyone in my life that can tell me I am getting too thin - if anything my younger sister (who doubles as my roommate) makes comments like "Oh I see you've gained a bit. CONGRATULATIONS ~" which is extremely counterproductive for me because I translate that to "Oh damn. You really put on the pounds. Geeze lay off the food for a few days." I know she means it with a good heart, and I've mentioned it to her before, but sometimes she is so excited to see progress that the words just come out. 

Beyond that, I rarely am jealous of a snowflake's appearances. When I do see someone at first glance and think they are pretty, I look closer and see warping everywhere or obscene amounts of blur. I might think that one snowflake has pretty eyes, or another has really healthy looking hair, or beautiful porcelain skin, but it's hard to tell. Unless we find tagged photos, or other candid shots, I can't see beyond the circle lenses and blur tool to define whether someone is pretty enough or not for me to be insanely jealous.

On those occasions I feel jealous of a part of a snowflake's appearance, I use it as fuel to better myself. Perhaps this mindset is partially fueled by the same part of my brain that allowed me to come to the disordered conclusion that if I lost weight I would be happier with my life. (Which overall, I am, but losing so much weight has caused a lot of new problems to arise.) So if I am mesmerized by a snowflakes gorgeous healthy hair, I will use a hair treatment. If I really love a snowflake's complexion, I might start assaulting my dark circles with brightening and anti-wrinkling cream. That is as close to a "spa day" as I ever get, haha.

I have to admit I do become jealous of material possessions. I can be a very materialistic person at times. Despite wanting to say "oh I am above it all and I treat myself to a bowl of strawberries instead" I often hunt the item down, add it to a wish list, etc.

STORY TIME ~

I casually watch Sophie (PeachMilkyTea) on Youtube. I started noticing her back when she posted gyaru related videos. From there I started following her on social media. I never really got into her cosplaying because it's not a community I am really a part of, but I adore her other videos. 

I can't remember if it was a Birthday Haul, Christmas Haul, or just a general "favorites" video....I think it must have been a favorites video, that she showcased a fluffy Disney Princess robe from Primark. We do not have a Primark in the USA. So I FINALLY found the robe on eBay and spent $70 USD on it. :alpacadone: I thought it was so perfect for my upcoming trip to DisneyWorld (which it's true) but I really shouldn't have spent so much on it. That being said I am getting a ton of wear out of it and it will be fun for DisneyWorld......but any fluffy pink robe would have sufficed. 

Sooooooo those are my true feelings about how personalities affect me. If anything, you all learned they affect my wallet more than they affect me.

Posted

Honestly, a bit jealous.

But I would also cringe.

People trying to be Asian (that's what I see most snowflakes on Instagram trying to be) sends shivers down my spine.

Yet, it makes me envious that they photo shop so good.

Posted

This is going to sound stupid but I get jealous of a lot of their noses. They all have such cute noses that fit their faces from every angle. (Except for Pele's potato nose lol) My nose and face shape is kind of similar to peachmilkytea's before she got rhinoplasty and it's always been the thing I hated the most about myself. Hopefully I can get a decent nose job like her someday. But other than that I realize after hanging out on PULL and other forums that a lot of these flakes' beauty is makeup and shooping.

Posted

I feel a mix of jealousy, anger and a sense of smugness.

Jealousy because they look so beautiful even though they ALL look the same(big eyes, lips, thin straight nose).The fact that they get attention.

Anger because I know they shop their stuff to gawd but people still fawn all over them in the comments. The persona/fake image they create is annoying. Like can't people see it's smoke and mirrors?!

I feel smug because I can see through the facade. :/

Posted

I have awful skin, so when I see these snowflakes or instagrammers with flawless skin I'd think "wow I wish my face is that clear", but then I remember "oh yeah, I'm a lazy ass who couldn't be bothered at times to do skincare" and just get over it lol. Plus seeing the amount of blur and blend used on some of those pictures I cared even less xD