• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.
    • Reputation Has Increased!   07/06/20

Hello. You have been asking for it and it is finally here. We have increased the number of reputation given in a day from 25 to 50. We will see how well 50 works out and if that is enough. Please continue to provide feedback and we will reevaluate as needed. This change has been added to the site changes thread located here. Happy repping. Thank you.

Share your embarrassing stories

40 posts in this topic

Posted

A thread to share some of the embarrassing stuff that happened to you

Mine: Once I was really zoned out and i ended up in front of a nearby house thinking it was mine. I spent 3 min trying to insert the key until I heard a lady ask me what I was doing in front of her house. I replied confidently ''But that's my home, I'm sure of it''. After a moment I finally realized and quickly left after muttering an apology. Luckily it was around 6pm so it didn't look like i was trying to break into her home.

Posted (edited)

Deleted

Edited by Person
Deleted

Posted

Right, so this maybe doesn't seem so embarrassing but to me it was. 

It was at Oxford University interviews a certain time ago. I was talking to a few other people in a group who were also being interviewed at the time for different courses. Now, I am not originally from the UK so I have a bit of an accent. But that's not the point. One girl in the group had an accent that was quite unique, obviously foreign, and I was curious where she was from originally.

So I asked, "where are you from?" And she asked what do I mean, do I mean Britain or her home country (she said it in an almost accusatory manner, I was a bit taken aback) so I stammered, and I was like, uh, originally. So she asked me "are you trying not to be racist?" 

I felt so embarrassed that I did not tell her I was not from there either and I was just curious because I liked her accent. She obviously took offense by the tone of her voice though I did not mean it to sound offensive, and I believe I was not offensive at all. Turns out she was, indeed, foreign, but I went on about how she had a unique appearance and dug my hole even deeper because while I complimented her eyes (which was probably creepy oh God, I'm horrible with people) she went on "and a big nose, yeah". I never even suggested that or thought it. I felt almost as if she was pushing words I did not say into my mouth and making me look racist.

I was a bit annoyed since she took offense to a rather simple question. People often ask me where I am from because of my accent etc so I do not take offense yet she did? Idk if it's because it was in England so foreigners are treated differently than in NI so maybe they're less open about these things, but I was slightly irritated and I meant to apologise and explain to her later but never got to.

I was so embarrassed, it still makes me cringe. Never meant to come off as racist by any means.

Posted

It was at Oxford University interviews a certain time ago. I was talking to a few other people in a group who were also being interviewed at the time for different courses. Now, I am not originally from the UK so I have a bit of an accent. But that's not the point. One girl in the group had an accent that was quite unique, obviously foreign, and I was curious where she was from originally.

So I asked, "where are you from?" And she asked what do I mean, do I mean Britain or her home country (she said it in an almost accusatory manner, I was a bit taken aback) so I stammered, and I was like, uh, originally. So she asked me "are you trying not to be racist?" 

I felt so embarrassed that I did not tell her I was not from there either and I was just curious because I liked her accent. She obviously took offense by the tone of her voice though I did not mean it to sound offensive, and I believe I was not offensive at all. Turns out she was, indeed, foreign, but I went on about how she had a unique appearance and dug my hole even deeper because while I complimented her eyes (which was probably creepy oh God, I'm horrible with people) she went on "and a big nose, yeah". I never even suggested that or thought it. I felt almost as if she was pushing words I did not say into my mouth and making me look racist.

I was a bit annoyed since she took offense to a rather simple question. People often ask me where I am from because of my accent etc so I do not take offense yet she did? Idk if it's because it was in England so foreigners are treated differently than in NI so maybe they're less open about these things, but I was slightly irritated and I meant to apologise and explain to her later but never got to.

I was so embarrassed, it still makes me cringe. Never meant to come off as racist by any means.

I would probably have handled the situation the exact same way. You asked a perfectly normal question so what came next wasn't your fault at all. It makes me wonder if someone had made her feel bad in the past by mentioning her ethnicity or something. My mom for instance has a very thick accent and pronounces her "R" differently then westerners do. Because of this, wherever she goes, people (especially Russians) will always ask her if she's Russian (which she's not). This really annoys her not because they asked but because when they find out that she's not Russian, they're no longer interested in continuing the conversation with her. 

It's not that the action of asking about someone's accent is bad, but maybe the person being asked has had so much drama revolving around their  ethnicity that they wouldn't want to talk about it. Idk.

Posted

I would probably have handled the situation the exact same way. You asked a perfectly normal question so what came next wasn't your fault at all. It makes me wonder if someone had made her feel bad in the past by mentioning her ethnicity or something. My mom for instance has a very thick accent and pronounces her "R" differently then westerners do. Because of this, wherever she goes, people (especially Russians) will always ask her if she's Russian (which she's not). This really annoys her not because they asked but because when they find out that she's not Russian, they're no longer interested in continuing the conversation with her. 

It's not that the action of asking about someone's accent is bad, but maybe the person being asked has had so much drama revolving around their  ethnicity that they wouldn't want to talk about it. Idk.

Wish I had more upvotes to give. I thought so too, but I did think she overreacted a little bit. I have issues with my ethnicity too (I had instances when people purposefully began speaking English very slow once learning I'm foreign but they were actually trying to be mean for no reason) but to me it's a normal question since it happens so often so I didn't know why she took offense. It reminded me a bit of a Buzzfeed video where Asian Americans were offended when people asked them about the origin of their parents, and the same question wouldn't be asked towards a white person. I'm white, I still get asked where I'm from here. People mean it out of curiosity, I was baffled that she was offended :amgplz:

I don't get why people are disinterested in conversation once they find out their ethnicity is not what they expected, a person is a person and they deserve the same amount of attention and respect as somebody who is native or the same ethnicity. I guess some double standards still exist regarding that which is quite sad.

Posted

Wish I had more upvotes to give. I thought so too, but I did think she overreacted a little bit. I have issues with my ethnicity too (I had instances when people purposefully began speaking English very slow once learning I'm foreign but they were actually trying to be mean for no reason) but to me it's a normal question since it happens so often so I didn't know why she took offense. It reminded me a bit of a Buzzfeed video where Asian Americans were offended when people asked them about the origin of their parents, and the same question wouldn't be asked towards a white person. I'm white, I still get asked where I'm from here. People mean it out of curiosity, I was baffled that she was offended :amgplz:

I don't get why people are disinterested in conversation once they find out their ethnicity is not what they expected, a person is a person and they deserve the same amount of attention and respect as somebody who is native or the same ethnicity. I guess some double standards still exist regarding that which is quite sad.

Oh man, when I'm initiating a conversation with someone and I realize that they have a different accent, I purposely begin to speak slower because even my own friends have a hard time understanding my own slurred english. We had a Japanese exchange student in my school and in my friends group and I purposely spoke slower to her-- gosh, I hope i'm not offending her. :alpacaworry: Apparently, I offended her once by something I said (and it would make a terrific embarrassing story but I think I'd like to hang on to what dignity I have left for today, lol ). 

The reason why Russians stop talking to her once they discover where she is from is because her country merged into Russia some time in history and so people from her country were forced to learn Russian. However, the country later broke away from Russia. Now when some Russians ask where she's from and they discover that she's not Russian, they don't bother talking to her because she's not a "true russian." (I'm not trying to make anyone look bad by saying this, I'm just stating what happens to her.) I guess it's sorta like an artist getting excited when they see someone else drawing a picture only to walk closer to the person and find out they they're not drawing, they're writing an essay on microbiology and so there's nothing really to talk about between the two. lol.

Posted

Oh man, when I'm initiating a conversation with someone and I realize that they have a different accent, I purposely begin to speak slower because even my own friends have a hard time understanding my own slurred english. We had a Japanese exchange student in my school and in my friends group and I purposely spoke slower to her-- gosh, I hope i'm not offending her. :alpacaworry: Apparently, I offended her once by something I said (and it would make a terrific embarrassing story but I think I'd like to hang on to what dignity I have left for today, lol ). 

The reason why Russians stop talking to her once they discover where she is from is because her country merged into Russia some time in history and so people from her country were forced to learn Russian. However, the country later broke away from Russia. Now when some Russians ask where she's from and they discover that she's not Russian, they don't bother talking to her because she's not a "true russian." (I'm not trying to make anyone look bad by saying this, I'm just stating what happens to her.) I guess it's sorta like an artist getting excited when they see someone else drawing a picture only to walk closer to the person and find out they they're not drawing, they're writing an essay on microbiology and so there's nothing really to talk about between the two. lol.

Ohh I see! Russia has a history of taking countries under their iron wing and then when the countries are free sometimes there's conflict or at least tension. My home country has the same issue with Russia, but my parents get along well with Russians, they just said they don't blame the normal people for politics.

I'm curious about the story now! A bit slower is okay, depending on how long the person's been there. If they're an exchange student I don't think they'd find it offensive. It depends how you do it, if you do it mockingly people will get offended but if you do it taking the person's language abilities into consideration, honestly, it's fine :) talking to foreign people can sometimes be very difficult because we try to hard not to offend that sometimes we come off as offensive, which is quite strange but I guess life is weird.

Posted (edited)

Ohh I see! Russia has a history of taking countries under their iron wing and then when the countries are free sometimes there's conflict or at least tension. My home country has the same issue with Russia, but my parents get along well with Russians, they just said they don't blame the normal people for politics.

I'm curious about the story now! A bit slower is okay, depending on how long the person's been there. If they're an exchange student I don't think they'd find it offensive. It depends how you do it, if you do it mockingly people will get offended but if you do it taking the person's language abilities into consideration, honestly, it's fine :) talking to foreign people can sometimes be very difficult because we try to hard not to offend that sometimes we come off as offensive, which is quite strange but I guess life is weird.

Deleted

Edited by Person
Deleted

Posted

Oh what the heck, I don't have anything better to do on New Years Eve. When I was in high school (again, this is the time of my weeb phase), we got a Japanese student at our school. I was super excited to meet her cause she just so happen to become friends with all of my friends. Finally, one day I got to meet her at the lunch table. She was talking to my friend but then my friend left so it was just the two of us. I quickly started asking her questions about anime since I heard from my friends that she watches a lot of it. I could tell she was shy by the way she shifted her eyes when I spoke to her. I also felt pretty shy meeting a foreigner for the first time so in short moment, I slurred "Doyoulikehetalia?!" It was obvious she didn't understand a thing I said so, embarrassed, she picked up an apple, hunched her shoulders, and turned away from me and took a bite. Realizing that what I said barely made audible sense, I asked once more "Do you like hetalia?!" This time she looked at me and responded "no".  Not knowing what to say, I responded "haha...me neither..." We both ate our lunch in silence. Later, I would see her in the hallways and smile and wave every time I saw her and she would just look away. One day I decided that what I was doing was awkward so I decided to take a different hallway to avoid seeing her. Then one day during anime club while we were watching Howl's moving castle, I saw her enter the room and take a seat in the back and not say a word. I saw her drawing some anime character (it was edward elric but because it wasn't done, I didn't know it was him) so excited I asked, "Are you drawing sasuke?" and she shot me a bad look and said "...no?.." Flustered by her response, I didn't speak anything else to her. Later that year, only a couple of smaller less awkward and insignificant things happened between us.

At the end of the school year, my friends decided to create an end-of-the-school-year party. When I arrived to greet my friends, I saw her on the side of the house laughing with my friends and having a good time. When she saw me, she put on a big smile and ran to me with open arms and gave me a hug. This sort of surprised me since she didn't really react that way towards me before, but I decided to smile, laugh and hug her back. After that, the party went pretty good and for once things weren't awkward between us and we all laughed and had a good time. 

I think the reason why she acted that way to me was because she was in the presence of people she knew so for once she didn't feel nervous around someone she hardly knew and she felt confident at that moment to prove to me that she's actually a nice, active person. *shrug* I can definitely see why she was so shy though because I would be too if I was in a country with no one else like me and I had to talk alone to someone who I can't even understand. :alpacaworry:

It funny I bring this story up today because this year, she came back to study at an american university where some of my friends go to. I'm hosting a party this upcoming week and my friend asked if she could bring the exchange student with her to the party. I said sure. 

Aww it doesn't sound too bad, I think she was just shy and didn't know what to do :) (don't know how she couldn't like Hetalia though, I liked the episodes I did watch). I guess that since she didn't know how to respond to you the first time, all the time afterwards perhaps she felt embarrassed herself and wasn't fully comfortable, but that's normal with some people. I'm glad it turned out okay in the end :) 

I do hope that you have fun at the party and good luck! Happy New Year!

Posted

Aww it doesn't sound too bad, I think she was just shy and didn't know what to do :) (don't know how she couldn't like Hetalia though, I liked the episodes I did watch). I guess that since she didn't know how to respond to you the first time, all the time afterwards perhaps she felt embarrassed herself and wasn't fully comfortable, but that's normal with some people. I'm glad it turned out okay in the end :) 

I do hope that you have fun at the party and good luck! Happy New Year!

I didn't even like Hetalia -- I was just looking for a conversation starter, so I wasn't lying when I said "me neither". xD I'm just glad that's all over. I'm actually pretty excited for this party because it'll still be interesting for me to see her all these years later. 

Happy New Year to you too!  

Posted (edited)

Oh god where do I start...Embarrassing stories always come up to me at random times... 

so I liked one of my friends. He had previously confessed to me but i thought he was joking. I didn't like him instantly but rather it started later when the semester ended and we weren't going to be together anymore. So for a two whole semesters I was head over heels for him. I always made way to bump into him and make small talk(oh how embarrassing.) and one day i was feeling exceptionally happy so i decided i was going to tell him that i like him. I didn't want to go alone so i brought one of my friends and he agreed to accompany me from afar. Once he was outside his class he kept asking me what happened as i as only staring at him and stuttering. I had lost all that bravery and i couldn't even speak! I kept looking at my friend who was watching from afar and he kept making hand gestures to go on and tell him. While my "crush" was desperate to go inside his classroom i pulled him towards me and whispered that i like him. He got taken aback and shocked but i couldn't let him talk because i ran away. To this day that very memory hunts me. I can't believe i did something so lame and dumb I kind of wished i hadn't even like him and continued to be friends(he is a really nice guy so maybe sooner or later i was going to fall for him?)

Edited by P.O

Posted

forgive me i might sound like a sjw... :alpacadone:

i totally understand people are curious. idk about that woman you interviewed, but as an American who was born and raised there, "where are you from?" kinda does tick me off since... i'm not from anywhere..? personally, i see the question seem like i possibly can't be American just because of my skin color or accent or whatever, that's why. 

Personally, bluntly asking "what is your ethnicity?" is better (at least for me). I personally wouldnt be offended at that question but of course that probably can't speak for all people... but yeah, don't feel bad about it, maybe ask "what is your ethnicity?" instead next time!

Posted

forgive me i might sound like a sjw... :alpacadone:

i totally understand people are curious. idk about that woman you interviewed, but as an American who was born and raised there, "where are you from?" kinda does tick me off since... i'm not from anywhere..? personally, i see the question seem like i possibly can't be American just because of my skin color or accent or whatever, that's why. 

Personally, bluntly asking "what is your ethnicity?" is better (at least for me). I personally wouldnt be offended at that question but of course that probably can't speak for all people... but yeah, don't feel bad about it, maybe ask "what is your ethnicity?" instead next time!

Thing is, the USA is much more diverse than the UK would be, and tbh what interested me in the first place was her accent which was not British but it did sound foreign. Here it's a normal thing to ask somebody where they are from so I don't know why she'd take offense to it tbh, I get asked where I come from all the time and it's no issue. There are people who are racist, of course, but for most part people are curious. 

I don't know why she seemed so offended by it though. She acted a bit mockingly towards me afterwards in her tone which ticked me off. In the UK very few people with a different ethnicity were born and raised here and it's not very diverse in that aspect as most people who would consider themselves British are white Anglo-Saxons. I kind of get why she was offended but given the social culture in the UK it was a normal question to ask as I was genuinely curious and wanted to ask follow up questions but I suppose I can't expect people to not take offense to inoffensive questions all the time since they're not me and I'm much more open, idk. But I don't understand why she'd insinuate that I'm racist/trying not to be racist. She could have said it in a nicer manner and corrected me or something :alpacaworry2: I'm foreign myself which kinda made me understand why some people who were born in the UK are awkward around me as a foreign person or try to tip-toe around questions regarding my motherland. 

Posted

I was at some bible camp with my class and we were all talking in our cabins. Me and my friends were having a convo about a guy I liked and everyone went silent as I said

"If he won't tap me, I'll tap myself"

... Everyone lost it... Now that I look back, it was kinda funny, but still embarrassing 

Posted

a694215626c6b2e426be172841337a14.jpg

reminded me of this lol :alpacacrush: