• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

iamkareno / karen yeung

240 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

0.thumb.jpg.ca1e36b641e028c81f8bc2b586c3

youtube • instagram • twitter • facebook

karen yeung a.k.a. iamkareno is a hong kong-born chinese youtuber based in california.

0.thumb.jpg.cc068bc4d337312e0e7ec318ed43

0.thumb.jpg.b24d0fd2944ed90f54321c36ad22

0.thumb.jpg.43a8f613378f73b1766f42d72748

she works for michelle phan's ipsy and describes herself as a "fashion, beauty and lifestyle blogger".

with michelle:

0.thumb.jpg.de1c4465d4d0d350dd3a2eef9a1e

0.thumb.jpg.69547bd253b39e255bd5f798c5bb

there's a thread on guru gossip where she was accused of copying jenn im a.k.a. clothesencounters in 2013-14. she started posting to defend herself (while pretending to be someone else) and they easily found that it was her because of the username. however, she's changed her style since then.

with jenn:

0.thumb.jpg.3aa6b3bd238736ad1e394024040a

karen also has a boyfriend named leo who is a photographer and occasionally appears in her videos:

0.thumb.jpg.f30152290ab453bb4cee13e7daad

0.thumb.jpg.de330143042dcc83e02858bbaa05

0.thumb.jpg.b99f75c2ac851ebc28f4268602c3

i used to watch her every now and then because i love her editing and her current style is pretty fun, but i haven't been keeping up with her lately. however, this recent video of hers did appear in my youtube recommendations the other day:

(this is my first time making a thread so please let me know if anything's wrong with it!)

Edited by luda
added more photos

Posted

Personally, I think she's a cool person. I know her brother. They're both pretty outgoing people. I can see how her and Jen's styles are similar. TBH, I don't think she's copying her intentionally. I think they just like the same style, hence why they look like they are great friends. Sometimes I unintentionally match with my best friend; it's because we think alike and have a lot in common. But I guess she changed her style because of the pressure of people calling her out on it, which is saddening. Also, she seem to wear whatever is trending. In all, I don't really see anything unique about her. She just looks like any other fashion blogger out there. 

Posted

I have a love hate relationship with Karen lol I love her videos and her aesthetic but sometimes the way she presents herself and her execution of things irks me, I really do love her style but sometimes it comes off try hard haha 

well on gg there's proof of her copying heyclaire especially with how she furnished her new place and some editing styles, cause from what I remembered, Claire low key shaded her, and the there was a point where Karen was trying so hard to be friends with Jenn when Jenn didn't really return the same if that makes sense 

and then I remember her Korean makeup inspired tutorial and she was called out for it being more Japanese than Korean (which is nothing wrong with mixing trends up but with her being a "fashion blogger" you'd think she would be able to differentiate) 

anyways Karen is really charming and ahhh man sometimes I'll have my times that I love her a lot and other times not so much, like her HK vlogs were super cute and really relatable 

but her makeup application is messy haha 

can anyone do a cliffs note of her truth about YouTube vid?? I didn't want to watch it cause it was kinda clickbaity 

Posted

TBH there is nothing special about her. Just another wannabe michelle phan on youtube

Posted

I have no real opinion of her, but she doesn't edit her own videos, and knowingly copies other (usually smaller) youtubers. We run in the same crowd, and it's well known in the friend groups.

Posted (edited)

I have no real opinion of her, but she doesn't edit her own videos, and knowingly copies other (usually smaller) youtubers. We run in the same crowd, and it's well known in the friend groups.

Wait, who edits her videos then? Her boyfriend?

Personally, I didn't used to be very fond of Karen because of the ripoff "kawaii" fashion style, taken mostly from Japanese culture, that she called her "own" lol. But I can't help watching her videos because 1) the editing is awesome, 2) I love her music taste (I follow her on Soundcloud), and 3) I actually love her personality, and something about her and her boyfriend is so endearing😩 In all honesty, I'm really envious of her; she built a name for herself and she's really living out her dream - now that's something not everyone can say they've done

Edited by Santa
spellcheck

Posted

I have a love hate relationship with Karen lol I love her videos and her aesthetic but sometimes the way she presents herself and her execution of things irks me, I really do love her style but sometimes it comes off try hard haha 

well on gg there's proof of her copying heyclaire especially with how she furnished her new place and some editing styles, cause from what I remembered, Claire low key shaded her, and the there was a point where Karen was trying so hard to be friends with Jenn when Jenn didn't really return the same if that makes sense 

and then I remember her Korean makeup inspired tutorial and she was called out for it being more Japanese than Korean (which is nothing wrong with mixing trends up but with her being a "fashion blogger" you'd think she would be able to differentiate) 

anyways Karen is really charming and ahhh man sometimes I'll have my times that I love her a lot and other times not so much, like her HK vlogs were super cute and really relatable 

but her makeup application is messy haha 

can anyone do a cliffs note of her truth about YouTube vid?? I didn't want to watch it cause it was kinda clickbaity 

yeah, that's pretty much how i feel about her too tbh. the things i like i really like, but then the other things... eh. however, i will say that i do appreciate how she embraces being chinese and her hong kong vlogs are very enjoyable!

the video is so long that i didn't make it to the end when i clicked on it the other day, but from what i did watch: she was getting upset about the new youtube notification system? how subscribers have to click on the bell icon to receive notifs now and apparently if you don't watch a channel's videos for a while, youtube will unsubscribe you from them. basically, her subscribers aren't seeing her videos.

that's disappointing. i may not like everything she does, but one thing that i've always enjoyed is the editing in her videos. does someone else at ipsy edit for her?

Posted

Wait, who edits her videos then? 

nictrick does most of the editing for her.

Posted

nictrick does most of the editing for her.

Funny...in her last video, she said she edits her own videos

Posted

Funny...in her last video, she said she edits her own videos

Yea... it's easy enough to lie about it since it's not easy to prove. Nictrick keeps editing for her to try and use her for popularity points, so I guess it's a symbiotic relationship.

Posted

nictrick's youtube channel for comparison. they also have an instagram together where they share photos of other people dressed in a similar style to them? (or ~bbhoodz~ as they call it lmao...)

some photos together:

Posted

I think Karen is ok, but she needs to find her own style, it's always a copy and paste of whatever is trending. Her obsession with Korea and Japan is really irritating though, you could literally find most of the clothing in UO. And that clickbait video about the truth about YouTube, when all we got was an ipsy ad and some irrelevant whining about notifications. People are getting them, it's just no one cares lol.

Her boyfriend's photography sucks too, someone please teach him how to edit without VSCO cam. But seeing as I'm being so negative, they are pretty cute.

Posted

i subscribe to karen, i enjoy her lookbook videos a lot. i also think her and her boyfriend are very cute together! when they had a couple q&a thing, they weren't awkward at all and were very comfortable together.

but like as said above, i too kinda have a love hate thing with karen. i either love her videos or feel like they're just eh.

Posted

I was wondering when she'd show up on PULL hahaha tbh her aesthetic is pretty, and her fans are really dedicated but that's all I like about her. I don't like that she labels her videos as "Korean/Japanese" makeup/fashion when it looks nothing like trendy (or remotely popular) makeup/fashion styles in Korea and Japan. The closest thing she's ever done is highlight under her eyes (aegyo sal) but that's about it. I don't think there's anything wrong with liking Korean/Japanese stuff but from her videos, it looks like she's just forcing it. 

Posted

I always felt she tried to market herself as Japanese or Korean because I had no idea she was Chinese till she said it and posted the vlogs, also with her username KarenO I thought she had a Japanese last name or something but then again I was boo boo the fool and didn't look at her facial features all too well because again her aesthetic is pretty and distracted me lol 

okay but does anyone else find it annoying or hate how hard she tries to make bbhoodz a thing???? Like what does it even mean