• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

What to do during anxiety attacks

10 posts in this topic

Posted

hello, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to cope? Sometimes I feel like my world is crashing down and I feel numb and can't move. I want to get up and walk and breathe but I cannot move, and just the other night I played loud music in my car and just screamed and breathed heavily and cried... This happens a lot to me and I am against medication and therapy so I try to just sit it out. 

Posted

I've been diagnosed with panic disorder and anxiety (amongst other stuff) and I do take medication however I'm still not a 100% clear from that 'monster' and I also find it hard to cope so I'm thankful for this thread <3 
Have you tried muscle relaxation? Where you tense up all your muscles step by step and then slowly 'release' them? That sometimes helps a lot with the panic and breahting. Also hitting stuff or really screaming (into a pillow for example) helps...if you're not alone and have someone around you trust and are ok with touching and holding you ask them to really hug you tightly like reaaaally tight that helps a lot.
Also snapping a rubberband sometimes help (like around your wrist)
I see why you're against medication but why therapy? :// it really helps to talk with a 'special person' to get an emergency plan settled with someone who knows what their doing (I don't judge you though you do you)

Posted

for me easiest way to get out of a panic attack is to use your senses. once you realize whats happening fond.

one thing you can see and focus on it.

two things you can feel (i.e carpet, couch cussion, bench)

three things you can smell ( cooking food, freshly mowed grass, your shampoo)

four things you can hear ( people talking, train in the distance, car horns or like music)

just work through the list and count your sense focusing on each thing for a short period of time and kind of brings you out of your panic, or it works for me anyways.

Posted

Learn how to meditate this helps me a lot. Watch some meditation video on youtube.

Posted

I noticed when I have a panic attack I drink crisp cold water. The water makes me feel refreshed and wakes me up kinda. For some time I used to have fishermans friend with me, the "spicyness" helped to distract me and refresh me. Atm I just try to get fresh air and generally be outside. 

Posted (edited)

I usually stop what I'm doing and find somewhere to sit by myself for awhile. There are also times I try to distract myself by walking, listening to music, cooking, playing a mindless or requiring not much critical thinking skills video game on my phone, computer, or ps4. If I can't do those things, I'll read a book, watch a favorite childhood show and movie. Doing one of those things usually help me a lot. It helps to have a lot of hobbies when something like this happens.

Edited by Candwhytwo

Posted

During anxiety attacks I try to find something to engage with. I also do the grounding technique similar to the one Ashlee posted, but mine is 5 things you can see,  4 things you can feel, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and 1 thing to taste.

One game that helps me not focus on my symptoms is Pokemon Shuffle. It's also a very good game for those with PTSD, similar to those studies about Tetris.

Posted (edited)

I breathe deeply and let it wash over me. It works better than trying to fight it. If I can talk to someone I will, but a lot of the time I like sitting on the toilet by myself until my body calms down. 

Edited by kiwi

Posted

I've been struggling with anxiety for about two years now since I had a really bad panic attack on public transportation.  now, only the thought of going on the subway freaks me out.  I've tried a lot of things since at some point it became so crippling I couldn't walk more than 2-3 blocks away from my apartment without getting an anxiety attack.  What's worked for me is to push through, even though is hell.  Having someone to talk to (aka don't be alone) or simply have a few items that I know will help: my watch to check the time, a water bottle, fully charged phone and data connection.  I would also really recommend valerian root.  It's 100% herbal and natural (so no chemicals) and it's a natural relaxant.  I usually take 1-2 pills before a long journey or right when I feel that I'm getting an attack.  To be honest, I haven't had the need to take it in a really long time, but just carrying it with me comforts me. (I literally have it in plastic containers in all of my bags/wallets and in the beginning, I used to walk around with the full container that had about 100 pills).  

I've been to therapy for my anxiety, and it was shit.  On the other hand, I've talked to multiple psychiatrists and they all approved my Valerian usage.

Posted

My therapist taught me a breathing technique where you inhale deeply and in six seconds, hold for six seconds and breath out slowly. That combined with lavender oil and chamomile tea help a lot