• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Pill swallowing HELP PLS

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I have UTI so I'm on Ciprofloxacin and Mefenamic Acid, both are tablets. I only tried drinking a lot of water but it doesn't work. 

Well, the good news is that there probably aren't that many days left before you're done with the antibiotic! Have you tried taking the tablets with food or a small snack? How about any other liquids besides water? I would suggest something thicker like a shake or smoothie to see if that helps. Have you been laying down after taking a dose? Sometimes that may cause irritation in the throat with some medications (not common with cipro or mefenamic acid as far as I know though).

Posted (edited)

There are pill cutters and crushers. Normally I'd say to try crushing your pills and putting it on a piece of toast of something where you can eat the whole thing and get all the medicine in at the same time, but you can also try disolving it in a liquid or cutting it down somehow and mixing it into bites of food.🙂

Edited by Dorothy Catalonia

Posted

I know this is an old thread but someone might benefit from this: stick the pill in a spoon of honey or other syrup and swallow. My mum did that with me before I got over my fear.

I got over the pill swallowing issue when the doctor asked me if I had ever swallowed an ice cube or jelly bean whole. The answer was yes and yes and I lived through it. For me child-self, that was sufficient for me to realise that pills would not choke me. Obv it won't work for everyone. Always ask your pharmacist if the prescription can be ground, cut or comes in another form (like liquid or powder).