• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Pill swallowing HELP PLS

18 posts in this topic

Posted

sooo i've always had a fear of swallowing pills, no idea why....I've swallowed pills before, and used to take birth control on the reg, but those pills are tiny with no threat...I don't gag, have no physical reason to not swallow pills...just a huge mental block...
I've just received some pretty hefty sized antibiotics from the docs that I can't crush up so i'm kind of panicking here...
Anyone struggle with the same thing? and how did u get over it, or what tips do u have?? thanks in advanced <3 

Posted

Try focusing on finishing a drink of your choice in as few large gulps as you can to put your mind off the act of swallowing the pill. If you make it your goal to finish the cup in front of you within an arbitrary time limit (let's say 10 seconds), it may distract you enough from thinking about the pill. Put the pill as far back on the tongue as you can without gagging and then immediately concentrate on drinking the glass of water or juice as quickly as you can. 

You can also try taking the medication with a spoonful of soft food like pudding, yogurt, applesauce, or jello. Milkshakes can work too. This helps mask the size or texture of the medication. Take care not to let the pill start dissolving though!

What did you end up doing? Hope you were able to start taking your antibiotics!

Posted

(depending on the medication, some meds advise you not to do this) you can crush them up and mix it into food or drinks. my dad has the same hangup with swallowing pills and he gets my mom to put it in his grits haha

:alpacacrush:

Posted

I used to be afraid of swallowing pills so I'd stick them in a big spoonful of peanut butter. You have to swallow it in a big lump anyway cause it's sticky and it completely covers the texture/taste. 

Posted

Honestly, I used to use jello to swallow mine. I'd shove the pill in a big spoonful of jello and just swallow the whole thing. I also used ice cream, though the pill may melt with the ice cream in you keep it in your mouth too long.

Posted

I never had problems with swallowing pills even dry, however it makes things easier if you just take a glass of water and drink a whole glass whilst swallowing the pill it just doesn't get stuck anywhere and its smoother.
As for the mental block its good you acknowledge that but try not to focus on it too much like 'oh god gotta take my pills' I think that'll only benefit the fear.
And if the pill is really big break it in two and then make it in two steps

Posted

I've had to take quite a few horsepills. Water has worked for me thus far, so long as its a reasonably sized glug.

Posted

I can't swallow pills at all alone anymore due to some things I did back when I was 14/15 years old, it's extremely painful for me now. Everyone is different but usually when I take medication I usually have a thick drink on me, like a milk shake or something, and I kinda have to have a big chunk of it so I don't feel the pill. If I feel it at all I stay nauseous for hours :alpacadone: But if a thick drink isn't exactly accessible, make sure you are at least full. (and a drink always)

Hopefully this could help you too :alpacacrush:

Posted

When I was younger my sister was constantly sick and had to take pills. She struggled to swallow them and I wanted to one-up her (lol) so I started swallowing m&ms to show that I could do it despite being 5 years younger than her lol! Maybe try on other food items first?

Posted

I usually take a sip of water, put the pill on the water that's in my mouth (so it floats) and then drink the rest of the water. You shouldn't wait too long inbetween steps though, the pill could dissolve

Posted

i use diet coke to swallow my big pills.

I don't know why but it works better for me. 

Posted

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but my question is pretty close to the topic so.. I've been on medication for the past few days but  every time I swallow a pill, the after effect feels like the pill gets stuck in my throat :alpacaworry2: Can anyone help me on how I can get rid of this feeling? it's really uncomfortable :alpacaworry:

Posted

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but my question is pretty close to the topic so.. I've been on medication for the past few days but  every time I swallow a pill, the after effect feels like the pill gets stuck in my throat :alpacaworry2: Can anyone help me on how I can get rid of this feeling? it's really uncomfortable :alpacaworry:

What is the medication and formulation (capsules vs tablets)? What have you tried so far to address the sensation of it being stuck in your throat?

Posted

What is the medication and formulation (capsules vs tablets)? What have you tried so far to address the sensation of it being stuck in your throat?

I have UTI so I'm on Ciprofloxacin and Mefenamic Acid, both are tablets. I only tried drinking a lot of water but it doesn't work. 

Posted

I've been drinking pills for my anxiety disorders and insomnia for almost 3 months now. I had to eat everyday before taking my pills. At first I vomitted at my sleeping pills from first drink because of the bitter aftertaste and I drank water, now I don't. I usually drink my pills with a fruit juice or chocolate milk instead of water (I don't like the taste of tap water in my place) as fast as you can, so the bitterness won't stick to your tongue.