• Announcements

• *NEW* PULL FAQ   07/11/20

Hello. It has been a long time coming, but we finally have a PULL FAQ! In this FAQ you may find answers to most commonly asked questions here on the site. Please make sure to read the FAQ before asking a question in the Site Feedback (formerly the "Make Your Voice Heard") subforum as chances are your question has already been answered. If it has not been answered, then feel free to ask your question within the thread or make a new one with your question. The FAQ can be found in 2 locations: The News & Announcements section and the Site Feedback section. We hope this helps current and new users. Thank you.

General e-Artist thread

786 posts in this topic

Posted

Screenshot_20200519-021900.thumb.png.b58This is not cool. Yes theyre stealing your art, you have the right to be mad but you could be insulting a child who doesn't know what they're doing right now. That is not cool, please put a disclaimer to not send hate, and to just report them in the future. Kind of immature to insult a child who don't know what they're doing just cause they stole art.

IMG_20200519_021933.thumb.png.3da20dabe9

This kind of reminds me of the recent drama that has just surfaced yesterday, a big artist @__0111___ calls out and harasses two smaller artists for using similar colours as them, and directs their fanbase to hate on them. I hate when big artists use their platform to cause witch-hunts, no need to name call anyone period. 

Here’s the link to the post about the colour theft drama I mentioned;

https://instagram.com/centip3des?igshid=n6jgo9y9worh 

Posted

This kind of reminds me of the recent drama that has just surfaced yesterday, a big artist @__0111___ calls out and harasses two smaller artists for using similar colours as them, and directs their fanbase to hate on them. I hate when big artists use their platform to cause witch-hunts, no need to name call anyone period. 

Is @__0111___ serious?? That's very immature and entitled of their part. It is not like they invented this pink/purple/blue color combo, I've seen this palette in many "color palette chalenges" and many artists have been using very similar colors for a very long time. I can only feel bad for @centip3des and @celia._.uwu. It doesn't help that Alma started a witch hunt towards much smaller IGs and outright lied to her audience about Kace not apologizing and not acknowledging the similarities. Also, I know everyone is diferent, and I don't know them personaly nor how their life is going, but saying your life is ruined bc someone uses a similar color palette to yours in the middle of a fucking pandemic, I think they really need to check their priorities.

Was Alma really expecting that @centip3des could completely change everything about her style in just a week? She really needs to chill about it. Neither styles are "unique". I'm pretty sure Alma also had their fair share of inspirations to get to the style they have now.

If it was someone like meyoco (or anyone of her inspirations), who has like 10x of Alma's following, I'm pretty sure @__0111___ would be all like "I'm so honoured senpai noticed me! uwu" even if they openly adimited they "stole" Alma's "style".

Posted

Hi, Idk if anyone know about this tracer which is name goes by @_art_koala_ on Instagram. This girl have been tracing many arts and gained many followers.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

You made the account on here just to talk about her and said the evidence was collected by you and your friends so I assume you are calling this girl out because you know her from IG or from your group of friends. Try talking to her about it in private and tell her to change! That will do more than posting it here since she doesn't have that many followers that most people would even know her. I hope she learns to draw by herself and will stop tracing since tracing will bring her nowhere and might get her into big drama if her account grows bigger. Good luck!

Oh wow...

Yet another entitled artist who claims color palettes as their property and makes smaller artists drop art entirely. Just looked at it, looked at all three accounts and they... don't look the same? Sure I can see the influence but it's mainly the colors. The eyes? Perhaps a little bit, as far as someone redrawing eyes from a tutorial or reference or so can go. The drawing technique, compositions and overall art skill is different for all three of them.

I can see the old artworks were more similiar to each other but apparently the most recent art is still a problem for Alma and was the reason for calling out the two other artists, so I looked at the most recent artworks and...

three.thumb.png.1174ccf23f62759470067735

They don't look the same. I can tell the two of them tried hard to move away from the inspiration if it's been much more obvious before. The way the images are shaded is very different and the lineart is done in just such a different way that I'm baffled that Alma claimed these don't try to move away from the influence or that they are so similiar they could be mistaken for copies. They are very much not.

It's making me mad when big artists go after the small artists who look up to them. As if none of us had an art inspiration before, as if pastel colors weren't used before. If I had to search for artists Alma took inspiration from I'm sure I could find japanese pastel artists on pixiv since the style looks really familiar as well. It's just your typical kawaii uwu soft pastel anime art style.

Ironically it's always the soft uwu artists who are the first to cause drama and push all other artists they dislike under the bus.

Posted

Sorry not sorry but Alma deserves the backlash she's getting. She didn't need to put them on blast to her 80k followers just because she expected them to completely change their style in a week and they didn't deliver, that's just unrealistic lol. You can't copyright a neon pastel palette and a coloring style that's already really common among kawaii/anime artists. 

Posted

even just googling "neon manga instagram artist" gives me soooo many similar accounts... why'd she only have to @ them two? its actually so sad seeing one of them quitting art because of this :/ its so petty and unnecessary

Posted

even just googling "neon manga instagram artist" gives me soooo many similar accounts... why'd she only have to @ them two? its actually so sad seeing one of them quitting art because of this :/ its so petty and unnecessary

I mean basically their color palette looks like just shading with mostly pink, blue and purple or yellow on highest saturation. It can also be easily be colorpicked from almost any vaporwave style anime art or any neon or vaporwave artwork to begin with. That Alma thinks it's a color concept they came up with by themself is confusing and also a little bit concerning, especially since they would have seen tons of drawings or CG artworks with these specific colors as it seems to be the aesthetic they like. Did they just tell themself they created the color combination? It's just so entitled and sad this person hurt the people influenced by them instead of encouraging them or thinking about it the way that they actually had fans who loved their art so much they saw them as a rolemodel and wanted to be like them. It's so pathetic.

Posted

Reminds me of this Renee Moonveil chick who tried to claim her colors were copyrighted when she got exposed trying to buy stuff while ignoring a commissioner's refund request. 

Posted

Reminds me of this Renee Moonveil chick who tried to claim her colors were copyrighted when she got exposed trying to buy stuff while ignoring a commissioner's refund request. 

Omg Renee....i've followed them on DeviantArt ever since 2011. When i was a kid i was a HUGE fan of their art

Then i jumped ship when i noticed that all they did was keep sending their wks after people and complain about others criticising them. Plus i got tired of their AUs almost always being a generic edgy take.

Posted

Omg Renee....i've followed them on DeviantArt ever since 2011. When i was a kid i was a HUGE fan of their art

Then i jumped ship when i noticed that all they did was keep sending their wks after people and complain about others criticising them. Plus i got tired of their AUs almost always being a generic edgy take.

I've heard they've got like a trail of drama behind them and was defending the Pedophile Griddles. But I got zero proof of it only heard from other artists and what I saw on her Artists beware post. 

Posted

I've heard they've got like a trail of drama behind them and was defending the Pedophile Griddles. But I got zero proof of it only heard from other artists and what I saw on her Artists beware post. 

I remember seeing some journals on dA talking about a WHOLE deluge of drama happening around Renee mainly when she was in the Undertale fandom, but never got into it because at the time i wasn't interested in her art anymore and was already considering unfollowing her.

But i do remember that every time she got into a new fandom and made an AU, she'd make a comic series. Then make 4-5 pages, lose interest, then complain that people are asking for new chapters, cancel the comic while blaming said people and then shortly after jump into another fandom. That i remember clearly.

Posted (edited)

Still got something to add regarding the Alma drama that I missed out on and that I just need to type down.

Apparently the 'copying of the eye style' played a big role in the callout when Alma accused the two smaller artists of ripping off her art.

alma.thumb.png.ac01345c8c448a9bc322eefa0

I looked at the eye style and it felt somehow familiar to me but just for comparison

these are by Alma:

aa.thumb.png.b38d76643e55cea33b0b5958697

aa2.thumb.png.640c95dd4bcdadf3d66b2f3718

and by Celia:

aa3.thumb.png.0c3a5a4a2dbf971c7cdcc9a6a5

aa4.thumb.png.287b62a18aad0dd03500b605b0

Apparently the 'soft pupils' were a problem for Alma since this is the way she shades eyes and I just.

These eyes look so familiar to me and the soft pupils were actually part of a tutorial pack by kawacy done a long time ago:

drawing_eyes___mini_version_by_kawacy_d9

(Upper right corner)

I mean kawacy is a fricking popular artist and he made tutorials for these soft pupils YEARS ago... Many people should have seen him draw eyes like this.

hqdefault.thumb.jpg.f6ed2e68ec53ac96829a

It's just so baffling to me because a lot of people started imitating this based on kawacy's tutorial and maybe by coincidence because it looks soft and nice.

fea332a01d338221d08b56063d53826c.thumb.j2be2111cdb25fc5594a18c9dba4962b4--manga-

These are just a FEW examples of very old and popular artworks with pupils with soft/blurred/no outlines

It's just so wild to me Alma is upset about someone outlines the pupils soft like her without a hard outline when this has been done THOUSANDS OF TIMES BEFORE.

Okay that's all I wanted to add. It's just so ridiculous to me :/

Edited by CosplayQueen

Posted

Still got something to add regarding the Alma drama that I missed out on and that I just need to type down.

Apparently the 'copying of the eye style' played a big role in the callout when Alma accused the two smaller artists of ripping off her art.

alma.thumb.png.ac01345c8c448a9bc322eefa0

I looked at the eye style and it felt somehow familiar to me but just for comparison

these are by Alma:

aa.thumb.png.b38d76643e55cea33b0b5958697

and by Celia:

aa2.thumb.png.640c95dd4bcdadf3d66b2f3718

Apparently the 'soft pupils' were a problem for Alma since this is the way she shades eyes and I just.

These eyes look so familiar to me and the soft pupils were actually part of a tutorial pack by kawacy done a long time ago:

drawing_eyes___mini_version_by_kawacy_d9

(Upper right corner)

I mean kawacy is a fricking popular artist and he made tutorials for these soft pupils YEARS ago... Many people should have seen him draw eyes like this.

hqdefault.thumb.jpg.f6ed2e68ec53ac96829a

It's just so baffling to me because a lot of people started imitating this based on kawacy's tutorial and maybe by coincidence because it looks soft and nice.

fea332a01d338221d08b56063d53826c.thumb.j2be2111cdb25fc5594a18c9dba4962b4--manga-

These are just a FEW examples of very old and popular artworks with pupils with soft/blurred/no outlines

It's just so wild to me Alma is upset about someone outlines the pupils soft like her without a hard outline when this has been done THOUSANDS OF TIMES BEFORE.

Okay that's all I wanted to add. It's just so ridiculous to me :/

The drawing you used to show Celia's is also from Alma. This one is Celia's more recent eye style:

Celiaeye.thumb.PNG.e6d76264b71b4017a0219

Colors: while I disagree with Alma, I can see some similarities. Still, doesn't make her the owner of pastel pink, blue and purple (with some yellow) color combo.

Eye Style: That's reaching. I've seen many anime/kawaii artists draw the eyes in a similar way. Both Alma's and Celia's eye have their similarities, but, especially now I think they are different enough from each other that accusing Celia of being a copycat is just immature. 

Celia's older artwork did look very similar to Alma's in some aspects, but now, Alma made look like she just wanted some drama with accounts that have little to no fighting power.

Posted (edited)

Won't deny that a first glance there's a couple of similarities on the other person's style but as stated before, it shouldn't be that big of deal, specially when a lot of beginner/smaller artists are heavily influenced by those that are much bigger or even are getting at their same level.

I find it a bit petty to do that when everytime I check my feed, it's all people heavily influenced and drawing closely like fresh_bobatae, ibu_chuan, meyoco, faiha_kuntum, hieihirai, just to name a few.

PS: the implications of accusing someone of "color palette theft" is just absurd, as much as I get the frustration, but god, nobody can own a color scheme.

Edited by justpassingby

Posted

Won't deny that a first glance there's a couple of similarities on the other person's style but as stated before, it shouldn't be that big of deal, specially when a lot of beginner/smaller artists are heavily influenced by those that are much bigger or even are getting at their same level.

I find it a bit petty to do that when everytime I check my feed, it's all people heavily influenced and drawing closely like fresh_bobatae, ibu_chuan, meyoco, faiha_kuntum, hieihirai, just to name a few.

PS: the implications of accusing someone of "color palette theft" is just absurd, as much as I get the frustration, but god, nobody can own a color scheme.

Nobody can sue someone for using the same color palette unless it’s Brand 2 using the same palette as competitor Brand 1 with exactly the same products/services. But artists using another artists color scheme is quite hard because there are many other artists who could use the same colors. What makes art unique is just more than colors—the concepts, the use of lines, etc.

Posted (edited)

The drawing you used to show Celia's is also from Alma. This one is Celia's more recent eye style:

Celiaeye.thumb.PNG.e6d76264b71b4017a0219

Colors: while I disagree with Alma, I can see some similarities. Still, doesn't make her the owner of pastel pink, blue and purple (with some yellow) color combo.

Eye Style: That's reaching. I've seen many anime/kawaii artists draw the eyes in a similar way. Both Alma's and Celia's eye have their similarities, but, especially now I think they are different enough from each other that accusing Celia of being a copycat is just immature. 

Celia's older artwork did look very similar to Alma's in some aspects, but now, Alma made look like she just wanted some drama with accounts that have little to no fighting power.

Thanks for pointing it out! I had a couple of faces cropped from several artworks and saved, so it seems I accidentely uploaded Alma's artwork twice instead of Celia's for a comparison. Will remove that for an actual drawing by her to not confuse anyone. Good eye!

EDIT: Okay I fixed it!

Nobody can sue someone for using the same color palette unless it’s Brand 2 using the same palette as competitor Brand 1 with exactly the same products/services. But artists using another artists color scheme is quite hard because there are many other artists who could use the same colors. What makes art unique is just more than colors—the concepts, the use of lines, etc.

I looked at the leaked DMs and figured Alma is more upset about the fact that someone is immitating her rather than the colors being hers or so. It seems she's really obsessed with having a unique art style and is very self-consious about her skills since she appears to see anyone similiar to her as some sort of rival. She probably thinks that if someone draws similiar to her that everyone will go follow that person which tells a lot about her confidence in her art and her fanbase. That her 'rival' only aquired the skill due to her own artworks seems to be the thing that upset her and hurt her. It's very childish of her to let her frustration out on someone else. Especially since even in the DMs it came across as if she was an idol for Celia and Kace. Kace was very polite and respectful in the DMs and even seemed upset at first about having made Alma sad. I think Alma just has to change her attitude about her own art and has to work on herself. If she thinks her followers will drop her the moment they can get art very similiar to hers from someone else tells a lot about how she sees art and not how the others see it.

(ignore the spoiler section, the pics won't go away)

aa3.thumb.png.0c3a5a4a2dbf971c7cdcc9a6a5aa4.thumb.png.287b62a18aad0dd03500b605b0

EDIT:

Okay so Alma legit deleted her whole account. As if that wouldn't cause more damage than doing good. Now we have three artists who stopped doing art instead of one apology fixing everything. That big artists behave like superior people and will throw their whole career away instead of making one tiny apology is nuts.

Edited by CosplayQueen