• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

General e-Artist thread

389 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just the other day I was wondering if this girl is still at it :alpacadone: It's so embarrassing she keeps doing these edits 'to prove her point'. She's just being stubborn at this point this has nothing to do with standing up for read-heads anymore, while her intentions seemed to be good when she made the first one or two posts about it, tho her posts ended up offensive and people tried to make her aware and she didn't listen. And now I feel like she goes more and more racist because nobody really sides with her. I hope she'll drop this soon enough and focus on read-head positivity rather than bashing black Ariel. (I mean I doubt it because she seems REALLY into this, but it would be better for her if she would stop this.)

Edited by CosplayQueen

Posted

Just the other day I was wondering if this girl is still at it :alpacadone: It's so embarrassing she keeps doing these edits 'to prove her point'. She's just being stubborn at this point this has nothing to do with standing up for read-heads anymore, while her intentions seemed to be good when she made the first one or two posts about it, tho her posts ended up offensive and people tried to make her aware and she didn't listen. And now I feel like she goes more and more racist because nobody really sides with her. I hope she'll drop this soon enough and focus on read-head positivity rather than bashing black Ariel. (I mean I doubt it because she seems REALLY into this, but it would be better for her if she would stop this.)

Tbh I don't get why she is so hung up on Ariel of all things like did she forget brave's Merida existed? 

9cc6001f-4571-4425-ba33-2834762f4c34.jpg

Like  she is so hung up over the mermaid whose from a fictional undersea kingdom that wouldn't have the same concept of race,if any concept of race,as us being played by a black person.  Meanwhile Merida is right there.  

I doubt this girl even realizes the story of the little mermaid has been told millions of times without a redhead anyway 

Posted

Screenshot_2019-10-09_kl._12.33.19.thumb

Just saw this on my explore page. I kind of find the artists edit stupid.
"I don't make fun of mental disabilities at all"
Except, yeah you do. It's right there. You drew the dog with weird googly eyes, drooling on itself and literally called it retarded.
Just because you weren't original about it and stole a dead meme doesn't mean you're not making fun of disabilities.

Slight over-analysing on my part here, but there's also the fact that the "retard" is a dog while the others are human. Would they have thought it was wrong if the dog was a drooling human instead? Do they even realise it can be seen as they're implying disabled people are animals/less than human?

"Sorry to those that are offended" "I swear I don't have any bad intentions"
Yet they still keeps it up because them thinking it's funny is more important than people being hurt by it, I guess.
And the plug for selling her art at the end seems gross in context to me. Like "you want the original art of me making fun of retards? Just give me your money!"

Posted (edited)

Except, yeah you do. It's right there. You drew the dog with weird googly eyes, drooling on itself and literally called it retarded.
Just because you weren't original about it and stole a dead meme doesn't mean you're not making fun of disabilities.

Slight over-analysing on my part here, but there's also the fact that the "retard" is a dog while the others are human. Would they have thought it was wrong if the dog was a drooling human instead? Do they even realise it can be seen as they're implying disabled people are animals/less than human?

Yet they still keeps it up because them thinking it's funny is more important than people being hurt by it, I guess.
And the plug for selling her art at the end seems gross in context to me. Like "you want the original art of me making fun of retards? Just give me your money!"

The problem is that if someone is thinking that using it because it's just a meme or because it's funny they become arrogant and make excuses for not being offensive when really they are. Since there are a lot of offensive memes out there and dead memes that people canceled due to their nature. Saying it's ok because it's a meme does not make the words less ableist. Saying it's just a joke should never be an excuse for saying harmful words. I think this artist does not understand what ableism means and tries to shift the guilt to the person who made the meme. But if they think it's funny (which they stated) then that means they action is ableist. Also if someone is offended, don't tell them to not be offended because 'you had no bad intention'. You don't get to decide what other people are offended about. If many people get mad about it, maybe consider you are in the wrong and reconsider your 'joke'.

EDIT:

I also saw many people say stuff in the comments like 'People are too sensitive' and 'Those who get offended about this are just wanting to be offended'. Maybe, just maybe consider that for disabled people this word is traumatising and has been used to dehumanise them? It's awful to make those who get offended by it feel even more guilty by saying they are 'too sensitive'. That people who get hurt by this comic or feel uncomfortable about it are being shamed is just tasteless. Yes, I know that it is just art and that art is supposed to make people feel something. But if the message is that the dog is saying something that the viewer shall find idiotic and moronic and labeling him with the r slur is supposed to be the joke, then maybe the message this artwork brings across isn't a very good one and is on behalf of making disabled people feel bad. I don't think this has anything to do with being to senstive, I think it rather has to do with being in friggin 2019 and finally wanting to get rid of harmful stereotypes and slurs like that.

Edited by CosplayQueen

Posted

Okay but literally change retarded to stupid and it's fine you don't need to copy memes word for word how dumb are you? And the dog in the meme didn't have weird eyes. It looks normal and that's part of the joke. 

Actually let me fix this for them. 

jUNmrwt.png

Seriously the way they have the speech bubble makes them look armless. 

Posted

i've seen this artist in my youtube recommended a few times, don't know much about her 
but i'm immediately surprised that for someone who does a lot of cute/dainty doodles managed to get into RISD (not a bad thing) - i imaged everyone at RISD doing realism/abstract art 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe4OuB3QCKs

Posted

i've seen this artist in my youtube recommended a few times, don't know much about her 
but i'm immediately surprised that for someone who does a lot of cute/dainty doodles managed to get into RISD (not a bad thing) - i imaged everyone at RISD doing realism/abstract art 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe4OuB3QCKs

Art schools do a lot of different types of art. I feel like if she is wasting some of her art learning on defending a meme that easily can be changed without changing the joke though that's dumb as fuck. 

Posted

Art schools do a lot of different types of art. I feel like if she is wasting some of her art learning on defending a meme that easily can be changed without changing the joke though that's dumb as fuck. 

That's not the same person, yams was bringing up a different artist! 

Posted

I mean she plagiarized sombodys comic and put it in her portfolio. Kinda b.s she got away with it.

I don't mind her style if it even is her style but I still dont think RISD should've  admitted her wasn't that good either. Also hate how braaagggy she is.

Posted

I mean she plagiarized sombodys comic and put it in her portfolio. Kinda b.s she got away with it.

I don't mind her style if it even is her style but I still dont think RISD should've  admitted her wasn't that good either. Also hate how braaagggy she is.

the artist i brought up at RISD isn't the artist that plagiarized the meme!!

Posted

the artist i brought up at RISD isn't the artist that plagiarized the meme!!

Well, I am not talking about the meme dont know about that.  Just pointing out she plagiarized and got into RISD.

Posted

Well, I am not talking about the meme dont know about that.  Just pointing out she plagiarized and got into RISD.

what comic are you referring to? just if you were referring to the artist that said the "retarded" comment, that's not the same person

Posted

Sorry I got confused. 

I know zero about that other artist. Mostly cause I can't watch videos right now. 

Posted

Which/whose comic did they copy?