• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

General e-Artist thread

310 posts in this topic

Posted

When you google 'Pokemon Nessa' his art and the drama surrounding it is the first thing that shows up for me...

There are also a lot of videos popping up on YT including his fanart.

I think it's so sad that there is one black woman in the cast of PKMN SWSH and people cause so much drama around her and make art to purposely 'trigger' others instead of just enjoying the character, understanding that black people are happy about Gamefreak putting a gym leader with black skin into the game and enjoy the representation.

But apparently it's too hard to not be a dick for most people.

Also why spend time on making 'triggering' art of white Nessa if you could just enjoy her canon design and appreciate her the way she is?

The art community is especially shitty atm.

Literally this.
You're literally spending hours on hours creating something and you choose it to be ugly and disgusting! Sadly, they know it'll get attention and I guess any attention is better than nothing to them...

Posted

When you google 'Pokemon Nessa' his art and the drama surrounding it is the first thing that shows up for me...

I think it's so sad that there is one black woman in the cast of PKMN SWSH and people cause so much drama around her and make art to purposely 'trigger' others instead of just enjoying the character, understanding that black people are happy about Gamefreak putting a gym leader with black skin into the game and enjoy the representation.

Also why spend time on making 'triggering' art of white Nessa if you could just enjoy her canon design and appreciate her the way she is?

that shit is fucking disgusting not only that google hasn’t taken care of this situation when it comes to search results but also the artist should be able to be dealt with 

Posted

I bet he is lying and he doesn't show anyone his fail attempts to be funny because he knows he'll get fired. 

He is just the type to go "WELL MY BOSS LIKED IT" to try and seem cool. 

yeah this seemed liked total bullshit to me. He sounds like an /edgy/ incel to me and how he acts online is his way of making up for being a loser irl lmao

Posted (edited)

Literally this.
You're literally spending hours on hours creating something and you choose it to be ugly and disgusting! Sadly, they know it'll get attention and I guess any attention is better than nothing to them...

Exactly. I would not want to waste my precious time on making tons of art on something just to make others angry or because I hate it. Instead they could draw the characters they like. It's so sad these artists are so obsessed with triggering others they chose to create art with the motivation of hatred in order to spread more hate and discourse. Instead of actually drawing something out of love and passion. Even if most white-Nessa-artists just call it 'bait!' and act as if it's 'just a joke' they can't deny that they are having negative motivations and are doing it to hurt others, even if they disguise it. They could still draw Sonia if they are obsessed with white skin so much. It's not like there aren't a lot of PKMN characters and beauties who aren't black. It's a shame people let it all out on Nessa when she's actually a really cool and pretty character and shouldn't become connected to discourse and hatred.

Edited by CosplayQueen

Posted

it actually started because i think an asian artist on twitter made a meme comic and accidentally made her a shade too light and people starts to harassed her about it even after apologizing and fixing it, so her friends, other eastern artist, starts to make this "bait" to i guess kinda shift the attention from her. honestly it was fucking retarded, it's like watching a train wreck, weirdly entertaining. but then every single artist on twitter jumps on the bandwagon for clouts and made it uncomfortably edgy (evulart to name one).

idk man twitter artists are just another breed of people, most of them just straight up don't give a fuck.

Posted

it actually started because i think an asian artist on twitter made a meme comic and accidentally made her a shade too light and people starts to harassed her about it even after apologizing and fixing it, so her friends, other eastern artist, starts to make this "bait" to i guess kinda shift the attention from her. honestly it was fucking retarded, it's like watching a train wreck, weirdly entertaining. but then every single artist on twitter jumps on the bandwagon for clouts and made it uncomfortably edgy (evulart to name one).

idk man twitter artists are just another breed of people, most of them just straight up don't give a fuck.

Oh yeah you're right. Honestly I think the way it was started it was unfortunate that that artist was harrassed. And it could be handled better. I see how all these racist caricatures of Nessa are made in 'revenge' because of how that artist was called out as a racist for a drawing that wasn't even racist and how people werehone stly dicks towards that artist insteadof  educating them on the issue.

Putting more under a cut since it's honestly just rambling about the issue.

I remember an artist did the same thing years ago - it was gashi-gashi if i remember correctly? - they drew a SU fanart where the gems had the skin color of their actual gems and that made Garnets skin be way too light in his image. People told him about the issues of whitewashing and he actually understood, made a polite reply in which he was explaining that he didn't know whitewashing was an issue because it isn't in japan. But that it's not an issue where he lives doesn't mean it's not an issue, and he showed his support towards black people by actually redoing the image and making Garnet's skin black. So I think if talking about it reasonable there are peaceful solutions to situations like this. People didn't have to be dicks towards the asian artist who made Nessa too light in his image. That's how we can make people of other culture aware of problems that don't exist in their country, but that are still harmful to other people and that they have to know about. I understand people are annoyed by the 'SJWs' that attacked the artist, but turning it into revenge by actually making racist caricatures of Nessa is not a solution either. I feel like these artists who prefer white skin just use the situation as an excuse to be a dick too and to shove their idealisation of white Nessa into the faces of other people while trying to get away with being racist since 'Chill, it's not a racist depiction, it's just bait' and 'I'm just defending that artist who got called a racist for not reason, so my image just looks racist, but it's not'. I feel like these so called 'bait artist' are turning a thing that was a shame but was not a big issue into an actual big issue. Since whitewashing is still racist, even if doing it for bait or saying it's to 'annoy those stupid SJWs'. There would have been other ways to annoy the SJWs or to have revenge for what happened to that asian artist. But now it's just a huge number of actually racist drawings, with edgy descriptions like: 'Oops I hope I didn't make her skin too light teehee UwU' which sound just provocative and as if the artists think the issue is just a joke to them. If I scream at someone that they shall not eat from my freshly baked cake that might be shitty of me and I could state it better but that doesn't mean that they are in the right to just eat the whole cake in revenge and excuse it as 'Well, you screamed at me, so poor little me was in the right to actually take the whole cake you told me to not touch.' I know it's a dumb example/comparison, but I feel like this is how they turned it into a way bigger issue than it was at the beginning.

Sorry for the rambling, the whole thing is just EXTREMLY annoying to me since the artist community is being shitty once again. Can we please not have drama for once?

Posted

viviria_ new drawing. I have a feeling she's not tired of tracing just yet.

The legs and feet line up, all I did was scale the body parts with their original ratio and moved them around... :alpacaworry2:

wonk.thumb.png.cbecfff607207c53821c9f722

I don't think tracing off of other artists and to say "It's okay because like nothing is owned by no one" Is okay because

1: That's not how the law works and 

2: If you're part of "Artist support" you should understand that you're not supporting someone's work by taking it as your own

3: If nothing is owned by no one then why do you think copyright exists? 

Like be inspired but don't rip off of their work.

Posted (edited)

Artists are now creating these provocative works as a defense mechanism against people who will slam them or try to end them because they painted a character a tone too light (it fits their pastel art style for an example), it's insane, people are openly stopping to draw PoC because of being constantly attacked. I miss the old times when people weren't so aggressive and childlish, and race bending was as okay as gender bending in art - look it up with Homestuck, everybody could express themselves and present a character in a different perspective without malicious thoughts. Especially when they are fictional characters. It's not like making Bruce Lee a white middle-aged man, ffs.

Like now with the ,,Little Mermaid" movie in making, which story took place in Denmark + the fairytale is Danish itself, but Ariel will be potrayed by a black girl. And? 

*the perspective of a person who draws*

Edited by Art Deco

Posted (edited)

Apparently, there's an artist that is now on the spotlight due to tracing official art from some games or trace heavily other people's artworks. This has been going for a while but seems like they're calling out the artist again. Said artist is Bluepotionco and to be honest, I might have heard something about her tracing a Pokemon character and turn it into a pin but I quickly forgot about it. (also probs I'm very late uh;;;)

(spoiler with her stuff and comparison):

959412104.thumb.jpg.99cc83eaf84529a49ab8e7726ac93d1e5fd14a20490a46d27b30_originaDxspB-WWkAMsTuL.thumb.jpg.d0d3b67cfd5fdddownload.thumb.jpg.4656d3adcdb48a629a34cpinssss2_2048x.thumb.jpg.9f22350e98245ce db.thumb.PNG.323f1ad50da6d88de26b35928ba

Some of them are obviously stolen. Yet the combination of [insert console + things popping up from it] is a little bit different from Meyoco's but surely they got inspired by it. Still, I understand why some people won't let that slide as I've also seen others doing the [insert object/bottle/coke can + sparkles/clouds/plants] or anything similar much more closer to Meyoco's style.

Can't say I'm biased because I yesterday I remembered this artist exists.

Edited by justpassingby

Posted

+_e925d2d91ec249a1d6a99c3a71448eeb.jpg

I saw this floating around too. It started gaining attention because she was called out again in a video (sorry it won't embed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atnrv7s5R-M

I'm a firm believer in 'Artists don't own styles" so when it comes to general concepts (like the ocean water bottle thing or plants coming out of consoles) as long as it isn't an exact traced copy it's ok. Meyoco doesn't own that and I've seen plenty of other artists do that type of art long before she did.

What isn't ok is tracing from other artists, or official art from companies, and selling merch off it. That's shady. She's blocking every person who calls her out and is buying followers to make up the difference when she blocks her own followers. She also put out a half-assed apology on her twitter and is still selling her merch after the fact, stolen art included.

D9wfzy2WsAAXvYS.jpg

D9wf0lLWkAAovC6.jpg

Posted (edited)

Oh man i've been wanting to talk about this forever

Anyone know jordan persegati, The artist known for making anything horror/creepypasta related? I used to follow him back in high school and i noticed he traced some pieces, he's done it even to around the time Doki Doki Lit was popular. Me being a huge Persona fan back when this speedpaint of his came out i noticed he actually traced official artwork.

He doesn't show the sketches of his work either he goes straight to coloring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8s9caaAWYg "Speedpaint"

Official Artwork by Shigenori Soejima

Related image

It's  even the cover for the Persona 3 drama cd https://www.amazon.com/PERSONA-MOON-GAME-MUSIC-DRAMA/dp/B001IAPCFO

He has traced Evangelion Fanart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Fe9ZpJQyU

Tags: Anime, Pixiv Id 647068, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nagisa Kaworu, Mobile Wallpaper

https://www.zerochan.net/501552

Chobits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNLZ8orOzrU

Image result for chobits chii flower

Doki Doki

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmOcWzaFblJ/

Tags: Anime, Pixiv Id 8956220, Doki Doki Literature Club!, Yuri (Doki Doki Literature Club!), Blood On Weapons, Brown Jacket, Self-harm, Fanart, Fanart From Pixiv, Pixiv

https://www.zerochan.net/2211591

I'm pretty sure the Monika is this image too

Related image

Edited by Shikinami
Forgot an image

Posted

Even though direct tracing obviously isn't ok, the otter, for example, isn't traced. It's just a "redraw"-copy, which I personally think is ok as long as you admit to "being inpsired" by the original or call it a redrawing, or even fanart. The style is different, and she gave it a different item and added some plants... so I think she made it her own. (I still think the original is way cuter)

As someone who doodles A LOT, I sometimes copy something for practice and then draw 100 other things and I literally forget that I copied anything, especially when looking back at it weeks or months later. It's not great, but it happens.

Idk why I'm sort of defending her, I have no idea who she is lol
And like I said, tracing isn't ok. And the other shady stuff she's doing is deserving of being called out.

Posted (edited)

Artists are now creating these provocative works as a defense mechanism against people who will slam them or try to end them because they painted a character a tone too light (it fits their pastel art style for an example), it's insane, people are openly stopping to draw PoC because of being constantly attacked. I miss the old times when people weren't so aggressive and childlish, and race bending was as okay as gender bending in art - look it up with Homestuck, everybody could express themselves and present a character in a different perspective without malicious thoughts. Especially when they are fictional characters. It's not like making Bruce Lee a white middle-aged man, ffs.

Like now with the ,,Little Mermaid" movie in making, which story took place in Denmark + the fairytale is Danish itself, but Ariel will be potrayed by a black girl. And? 

*the perspective of a person who draws*

Where the heck are you that artists are forced to draw PoC characters like how? 

Artists can draw someone whose not white and have it not mean anything. A lot of people draw poc characters they like anyway so are you really sure they're being "forced" instead of just drawing ones they like? ʅ(°⊱,°)ʃ 

Also wasn't racebending a trend anyway? Trends die off.  And Genderbending happens a lot still.

Also also do you not to realize Danish =/= automatically white? And that Ariel is a mermaid anyway so it doesn't fucking matter what Denmark's racial make up is she's a mermaid who lives in the ocean.

Edited by CareyAisha

Posted

Apparently, there's an artist that is now on the spotlight due to tracing official art from some games or trace heavily other people's artworks. This has been going for a while but seems like they're calling out the artist again. Said artist is Bluepotionco and to be honest, I might have heard something about her tracing a Pokemon character and turn it into a pin but I quickly forgot about it. (also probs I'm very late uh;;;)

(spoiler with her stuff and comparison):

Hidden Content

Some of them are obviously stolen. Yet the combination of [insert console + things popping up from it] is a little bit different from Meyoco's but surely they got inspired by it. Still, I understand why some people won't let that slide as I've also seen others doing the [insert object/bottle/coke can + sparkles/clouds/plants] or anything similar much more closer to Meyoco's style.

Can't say I'm biased because I yesterday I remembered this artist exists.

I only heard of her now because she seems to be popular at american cons only, so I didn't know her art existed before the call-outs recently startedpo pping up. Based on what I saw she's not tracing. She's using existing references and redraws them, making little changes and making it into her own art. But the problem I see is that she's still stealing the ideas. It might be really difficult to say to which extend tho since most of the things she copies are fanarts so the original artists don't have the rights for the characters but they still come up with their own poses, color palettes, ideas in which way they portray the character. And I feel like she's stealing these ideas. As an artist myself I do invest a lot of time doing pose studies and coming up with ideas for a character that just click because the overall piece/composition just looks good. This is work I spend time on and that I had to practice in order to come up with cute poses for characters, a chibi style that just looks pleasant etc. It rubs me the wrong way she's taking this work that other artists did invest into their art as well. I think she should be held responsible for what she's doing but I think not many people think the same way as me since it's a grey zone. I think as an artist I know how hard it is to come up with a nice overall drawing or with just the right pose or color palette. But nothing of these things can be copyrighted. And she isn't tracing it either, she just.... references it? So that might be why she was able to copy stuff without being called out for it for so long. I think legally she isn't doing anything wrong since she deforms the references she uses. But morally I think she shouldn't be supported for this and that people should stop buying her works if they are clearly copied off the idea, work and imagination of another person who might have spend a lot of practice and time to be able to come up with the idea that she simply snatches and makes money from it.

Posted (edited)

Oh man i've been wanting to talk about this forever

Anyone know jordan persegati, The artist known for making anything horror/creepypasta related? I used to follow him back in high school and i noticed he traced some pieces, he's done it even to around the time Doki Doki Lit was popular. Me being a huge Persona fan back when this speedpaint of his came out i noticed he actually traced official artwork.

He doesn't show the sketches of his work either he goes straight to coloring.

Hidden Content

He's one of those people that copy other people's artworks and post them as their own and quite honestly, some beginner artists start doing that and I don't really see that as an issue as long as it's official artwork so at least the original artist got paid (ie. official anime artwork) and they don't intend to make profit with it. However, it would be troubling if this person or any other individual that does this, copies from a freelancer. So yeah he's not the first one and definetly not the last one to do this, but it's upsetting if he gets more recognition for drawing someone else's work than the original artist... can be quite frustrating;;

Edited by justpassingby