• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

General e-Artist thread

310 posts in this topic

Posted

Most of the critiques can be considered as helpful to the artist as they help them realize their mistakes and break from them. There are ways to critique an artist without sounding hateful to them.

No, hurting someone's feelings is not gonna help them learn from their mistakes. It is just gonna make them feel bad about themselves which is not what you would want if you wanted to help the artist grow with critique.

How do we give proper critique? Well don't be afraid to speak up if something is up in the artist's piece. Do not say something like "the anatomy is wrong, the colors are wrong"  instead you could explain why the anatomy is wrong because the artist may not see the mistake at first that's why it's important to mention it. Like "I think one of the arm is a bit smaller than the other, otherwise it looks great!" or "In my opinion I think a warmer color would look better in this piece." and the artist may have never tried something like that before and is able to experiment and learn new things from you! If you simply don't know what's wrong but wanna give out the idea that something is off just say this "I feel like something is wrong with the anatomy in this drawing but I can't tell what it is." Say it as an opinion. 

Proper critique will help the artist learn from their mistakes and that will make them improve! 

Proper critique is not saying something is just garbage or bad, it's hurtful and it's not constructive.

And I hope you realize we do not need to discuss the appearance of the artist any further as it is hurtful to them and it doesn't help them improve in what they need to improve on. 

That's not the whole issue though. It's that artists are taking any and every critique possible as an attack, and then blow it out of proportion because they see it as something negative. They justify their mistakes with "Your art is garbage why are you lecturing me?" or "You're not on my level" and attack others for it by strawmanning until they win. They create this bubble around them with their followers to mob others for saying something as simple as "the head looks weird" not even 'hateful' statements, just something that the artist persinally disagrees with. That's how more Kun0's and Cyome's pop up in the art community by shitting on others because they're so insecure about themselves. 

Insulting the artist's appearance or private life isn't helping anybody, that's just low and immature.

The art community is full of these sensitive ass babies who take any disagreement as personal attacks. And those with more clout shame and shit on others for not being as popular/skilled as them. Meyoco used to be one of my fave artists before she jumped on the bandwagon of "lmao you can't even draw straight lines I don't need critique lol shut up." No matter how politely you try to word yourself, they're not going to listen. It's a stupid argument and should be put to rest already, because it makes no sense logically and is only used as an excuse for mistakes. 

Posted

I feel that art style imitation (especially imitation of official art styles) has pros and cons. On the one hand it's a way to get quick attention. If a fanart looks close or the same to official art it will always get a lot of attention because fans love it when a fanart looks close to the original thing. I figure this is a thing in many fandoms. Many fanarts for nintendo games got artists who try to make their fanarts look like the real deal. People usually admire it when a fanart looks like it could be an official artwork and will support that artist. So I figured that redrawing an official art style is a quick way to get a big following since fans usually love it. A problem is that imitation an official art style and always sticking to it like some sort of guide line will bring a lot of artists to a standstill. I can see from the examples of your friend that she makes the necks too short and that the anatomy looks out of place. So there is a lot of basic knowledge that is missing here. To me personally it looks weird that some parts of the drawings look like referenced from a professional artwork while other parts of the same drawing looks like artist beginner level. The background also look like they are screenshots from anime episodes. I don't think what your friend does it wrong especially if she loves Love Live and has fun redrawing the official art style. But as an artist I agree that she should try learning more about art without redrawing just Love Live girls. Since I can tell that she has much to learn about anatomy but just skips that part and tries to imitate professional anime art when she really has to go back to basics first. As said, I don't think that she's imitating existing art is hurting anyone since every Love Live fan will be able to tell she's copying off oficial art. But for the sake as her growth as an artist I do agree that she should step back from it from time to time and work on expanding her own knowledge in order to improve her art for when she can't rely on references from that anime.

I completely agree with you. They have a huge issue with anatomy. A lot of the Love Live fans compliment them and I think that is why they do not wish to expand. They are getting too much praise and no criticism. I gave advice and asked them to expand on their art, and they tried, but the love live community insulted it. I like to draw and I have a lot to learn myself and I get criticism, but that makes me want to try things different. I guess everyone handles this stuff differently.

Posted

I completely agree with you. They have a huge issue with anatomy. A lot of the Love Live fans compliment them and I think that is why they do not wish to expand. They are getting too much praise and no criticism. I gave advice and asked them to expand on their art, and they tried, but the love live community insulted it. I like to draw and I have a lot to learn myself and I get criticism, but that makes me want to try things different. I guess everyone handles this stuff differently.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation since you see that artist getting a lot of compliments while getting bashed yourself when you try to give them advices on obvious stuff they still get to learn. What I can say (been there before) is that if the advices are unwanted you probably have to let them be, even if that means they get a lot of biased praise and will stop growing as an artist. It's good that you want to learn and try many different things! So I think in the end it's best if you focus on your own art :alpacacrush:

Posted

That's not the whole issue though. It's that artists are taking any and every critique possible as an attack, and then blow it out of proportion because they see it as something negative. They justify their mistakes with "Your art is garbage why are you lecturing me?" or "You're not on my level" and attack others for it by strawmanning until they win. They create this bubble around them with their followers to mob others for saying something as simple as "the head looks weird" not even 'hateful' statements, just something that the artist persinally disagrees with. That's how more Kun0's and Cyome's pop up in the art community by shitting on others because they're so insecure about themselves. 

Insulting the artist's appearance or private life isn't helping anybody, that's just low and immature.

The art community is full of these sensitive ass babies who take any disagreement as personal attacks. And those with more clout shame and shit on others for not being as popular/skilled as them. Meyoco used to be one of my fave artists before she jumped on the bandwagon of "lmao you can't even draw straight lines I don't need critique lol shut up." No matter how politely you try to word yourself, they're not going to listen. It's a stupid argument and should be put to rest already, because it makes no sense logically and is only used as an excuse for mistakes. 

Preach. You coudn't have said it better. Im sick off artists that aren't able to grow a pair so they whine, moan and send their fanbase off to attack anyone who voices their own opinion.

The whole "You cant draw don't lecture me" is petty and so immature. For example my boyfriend can only draw stick figures but he is really good at pointing out my anatomy mistakes as he has studied anatomy so he is very perceptive of it. And honestly I am thankful that I always ask for his opinion when I finish a piece. In terms of "unwanted critism". If you dont want bloody critism then please stop whining, close your bloody eyes and move on. Its the internet its a right for people to give opinions if they want to. Just like that you have same rights whether you choose to take the critism or not.. don't assume people are forcing their views on you and grow some thick skin.

Posted

A lot of people should take notes on that... 

Posted (edited)

I’ve been following this artist meilkuii for awhile now, I think all of her prices are too high imo, her recent she’s offering commissions for a sketchy bust up, like it’s basically just a sketch? With base colours? 45-65 for a bust up?

09A38EE1-05C8-4A65-A8F9-8975E1B0314E.thu

And if you look at the rest of her profile she was selling adopts for around 40-80 dollars and they aren’t even detailed.

A8EA04EC-8B25-4FB6-B6D5-0773EA2C0900.thu89CD6F01-625A-4215-86A7-1D4F27544701.thu2E7B5714-CD81-407D-96E8-9381B7E0DF93.thu

It looks like it took 10mins to do that, an hour at max tbh. 

-

Also I’ve heard that she’s quite rude to people.. even other artists, and she blocks ALOT of people on Instagram for barely any reason at all. Imo she doesn’t seem like a nice person at all. Also “kill yourself” that’s not a thing you go around saying? Especially putting it on your bio like that? Trigger warning much?.

1ED74DEB-D00F-4DE0-B09E-A1E04986F5DF.thu

10742CDA-9C9B-40B4-9D40-D3A052016E60.thu

Edited by Roz

Posted

I mean,, considering she has a lot of followers, it seems like kinda okay price to me. I dont like to see artist undervalue their time and effort put in creating the art. 

I personally like her art, but would really not pay that much for a drawing that has only the base colors and sketchy, shaky lineart and all. For finished works with details I can see ~60 dollars a reasonable price.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I definitely agree, I wouldn’t mind paying that kind of money for a finished piece, but if it’s just a sketch? No ty. I guess it’s their choice. Also I’m not a big fan of her personality and the way she treats others.

1ED74DEB-D00F-4DE0-B09E-A1E04986F5DF.jpeg

Edited by Roz

Posted

How has she treated others? And what is wrong with her personality? It seems as if she has deleted all her previous posts from instagram so i can't really see anything except her recent activity

Posted (edited)

I’ve been following this artist meilkuii for awhile now, I think all of her prices are too high imo, her recent she’s offering commissions for a sketchy bust up, like it’s basically just a sketch? With base colours? 45-65 for a bust up?

09A38EE1-05C8-4A65-A8F9-8975E1B0314E.thu

And if you look at the rest of her profile she was selling adopts for around 40-80 dollars and they aren’t even detailed.

A8EA04EC-8B25-4FB6-B6D5-0773EA2C0900.thu89CD6F01-625A-4215-86A7-1D4F27544701.thu2E7B5714-CD81-407D-96E8-9381B7E0DF93.thu

-

Also I’ve heard that she’s quite rude to people.. even other artists, and she blocks ALOT of people on Instagram for barely any reason at all. Imo she doesn’t seem like a nice person at all. Also “kill yourself” that’s not a thing you go around saying? Especially putting it on your bio like that? Trigger warning much?.

1ED74DEB-D00F-4DE0-B09E-A1E04986F5DF.thu

10742CDA-9C9B-40B4-9D40-D3A052016E60.thu

I agree with the 'kill yourself' is something she should not have written even if just as an edgy ig profile name, that's immature of her and could rub people the wrong way especially if they struggle with stuff. But beside that she doesn't seem bad to me. I don't want to tell artists what to charge for their art. We never know how much time it takes her to make those and if she's selling the character designs as adoptables I think it's her decision to make the pricing for the design. So I think it's her loss if people think it's too pricey, but I wouldn't tell her what to take for her art. That's a decision only the artist can make. Can you provide some examples of when she was rude to her followers?

Edited by CosplayQueen

Posted (edited)

I agree with the 'kill yourself' is something she should not have written even to if just as an edgy ig profile name, that's immature of her and could rub people the wrong way especially if they struggle with stuff. But beside that she doesn't seem bad to me. I don't want to tell artists what to charge for their art. We never know how much time it takes her to make those and if she's selling the character designs as adoptables I think it's her decision to make the pricing for the design. So I think it's her loss if people think it's too pricey, but I wouldn't tell her what to take for her art. That's a decision only the artist can make. Can you provide some examples of when she was rude to her followers?

These are some of the many things she’s done:

- brought down other artists in her discord server

- blocked many people in the art community for petty reasons ( I’m not going to name names)

- also she gets mad when people complain about her overpriced art. Even though they are just trying to be reasonable

I don’t have the evidence because I never saved it, nor would I like to name names, but I know that’s not proof to make any allegations against her, so I just kept it as (( imo: I don’t like her personality and the way she treats others )) you guys don’t need to believe me but since you asked I shared, but in other words I’m saying you guys should just keep an eye out for her. 

Edited by Roz

Posted

A real shame how so many artists turn out to be egoistical cunts. I want to be an e-artist myself as well, these people unnerve me.

Posted

- blocked many people in the art community for petty reasons ( I’m not going to name names)

- also she gets mad when people complain about her overpriced art. Even though they are just trying to be reasonable

I don’t have the evidence because I never saved it, nor would I like to name names, but I know that’s not proof to make any allegations against her, so I just kept it as (( imo: I don’t like her personality and the way she treats others )) you guys don’t need to believe me but since you asked I shared, but in other words I’m saying you guys should just keep an eye out for her. 

Do you have any screenshots?

Posted

In my opinion, only point one is problematic. It's okay to block people, and while it may not make sense to other people, if she wants to block people for her own comfort, that should be okay. And as others have said, pricing is really down to the artist. She doesn't owe anyone her adopts or drawings, it's peoples choice if they want to buy her stuff or not. Sure, it's a shame if you want to buy her art but can't afford it, but it's not like anyone is going to suffer because they can't afford a luxury item like that.

Posted

2E7B5714-CD81-407D-96E8-9381B7E0DF93.thu

Are you considering the time and money it took her to learn how to produce that in under an hour? I suspect her prices are prohibitively high because if everyone who wanted her work could afford it she wouldn't have time to complete them all and still live her own life.

Being unable to afford the luxury of an art piece doesn't affect your quality of life, so complaining about her prices isn't "just trying to be reasonable", it's telling her what her time is worth and that is really insulting. Of course, blocking out everyone who so much as disagrees with you is how you turn your social media into an echo chamber, and that can profoundly affect your quality of life (see facebook antivax groups), but I'm not inclined to say she's too ban-happy with no account of any specific event. Putting "kill yourself" in your bio is certainly trashy, but don't serve me a cup of hot water and call it tea.

I don’t have the evidence ... you guys don’t need to believe me but since you asked I shared, but in other words I’m saying you guys should just keep an eye out for her. 

You came to us with vague, unsubstantiated accusations of misbehavior and when asked for evidence you're trying to dump the burden of proof on us? Looking at your nonexistent post history, this reads like a vendetta post to me. Please come back with receipts