Mimei and Duncan (PDR-san)

985 posts in this topic

Posted

While I don't think tweeting about it is necessarily a good idea, I do understand Mimei being upset about this. Just in case not everybody saw it, I'll mention that somebody posted a podcast recently in which Mimei's best friend (from England) was interviewed at length. Mimei and her have been online friends for 12 years and talk literally every day. On her trip to London Mimei and this friend finally got to meet. I am assuming that the friend she mentions going on a double date with in these tweets is this same person. If that's the case, it absolutely would be heartbreaking for your best friend's boyfriend to say he thinks you're an impossible person and that you and your best friend of 12 years should stop being friends. I don't think she's overreacting. Though whether or not she should publicize it is a different story... sounds like she should talk to her friend about it or vent to Duncan.

Posted

I don't see many faults in her Japanese phrasing. She uses similar slang that you can see on Japanese people's twitter posts - and like many countries' slang, it's not the "proper" use of grammar, which is why it's called slang :alpacaheadshake: 

Her good Japanese language skills is the one thing I like about her. Especially in comparison to some other j-vloggers clique who have been in Japan as long or even longer than her, Mimei definitely comes off better.

But unfortunately, there's also that aspect, which makes me dislike her as much as other of her "former friends":

Mimei turns EVERYTHING into a pity party. If you're having problems with everyone, you might well be the source of the problem.

I agree. It's no different from other snowflakes who are always I'm-so-victim-everybody-always-so-mean-to-me-but-it's-not-my-fault-and-I-need-to-post-it-on-Internet. And it's not even something new, Mimei has been doing this for ages.

Posted

Her Japanese is fine. It got the point across, and is better than other Jvloggers. It read quite nicely to me.

I wonder what happened for him to have that reaction, though. It could just be a personality clash. When my boyfriend met one of my best friends a few months back, he simply told me he didn't like her. He couldn't say why, but just that she didn't like how she carried herself and her general attitude towards things. It can't be helped, I guess. Can't be liked by everyone. Maybe it was the same thing with Mimei and her friend's boyfriend. Or maybe her friend had built up an image of her, and he met her, and she was different to how he imagined. It happens.

Posted

Been chuckling for some minutes.. Why do so many people talk about Europe as if it's a country and not a continent? Lmao

Posted

Been chuckling for some minutes.. Why do so many people talk about Europe as if it's a country and not a continent? Lmao

because more like one country than continent because open border i think

Posted

probably because you can drive to some other countries in europe in a couple hours, where it'd take me 2 weeks straight driving just to get to the other side of canada haha

Posted

There's cultural differences even within the countries in Europe(and this goes for every country also outside Europe)  I went to the other side of my country last week(only takes 2 hours) but I couldn't understand anything people were talking about due to their dialect. Certain festivals or customs are only present in certain areas of the country. Open borders have not Changed this :) Mimei and Duncan have become so bland past years. Also Duncan's humor gets old. I used to watch his jp channel. I thought it was funny at first now it just feels meh. One thing is for sure j vloggers video quality has decreased tremendously. Or I just became old and bored of it I'm not sure actually. I used to enjoy Mira and sharla Vids the most in the good old days. 

Posted

probably because you can drive to some other countries in europe in a couple hours, where it'd take me 2 weeks straight driving just to get to the other side of canada haha

Good point. Never thought of that. 

because more like one country than continent because open border i think

That's more about the EU deal tho, no? Guessing brexit aren't included in europe anymore after they left the deal :harharplz:

Posted

The distinctions (especially linguistic, ethnic and religious) between Asian nations vs European are far more pronounced (though I would argue people are far more likely to generalize Asia and the other continents over Europe). Europe is also less than half the size of the US. Not to say that each European country isn't unique, but from a non-eurocentric perspective, Europe can seem small and homogenous. Also, both Mimei and Duncan are from island nations somewhat removed from their neighbors and were visiting Europe for the first time. We know Mimei visited at least three different countries during her trip and it's far easier to say "Europe" than "England, Germany and Czech Republic."

Posted

The distinctions (especially linguistic, ethnic and religious) between Asian nations vs European are far more pronounced (though I would argue people are far more likely to generalize Asia and the other continents over Europe). Europe is also less than half the size of the US. Not to say that each European country isn't unique, but from a non-eurocentric perspective, Europe can seem small and homogenous. Also, both Mimei and Duncan are from island nations somewhat removed from their neighbors and were visiting Europe for the first time. We know Mimei visited at least three different countries during her trip and it's far easier to say "Europe" than "England, Germany and Czech Republic."

It's the same in every continent, just some are more neighbor friendly than other and that's why the lines can seem blurred(as you brushed over with the generalization of Asia). But I do get what you're saying. Maybe I'm just a bit more interested in knowing where people have been and hearing about it. Kinda like having a friend say "I went to Africa"... WHERE THO?? WHERE IN THE CONTINENT DID YOU GO? It just bothers me when people use continents instead of countries to tell where they've been. Unless it's a road trip through the continent then yeah I'd get it.
Just had the same thing repeated again and again and at first I just wanted clarity since some genuinely believe europe is one nation and not a continent (step your game up geography teachers!!). Kinda like when people think America is just US when it's south and north and then canada is the hat.

(like UK being our estranged brother as of now :harharplz:Ok I'll stop now