• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Mimei and Duncan (PDR-san)

2135 posts in this topic

Posted

imho her kiwi accent in her earliest videos was so weak that i was already unsure of whether she was from new zealand or australia, so i wouldn't be surprised if it was getting weaker the longer she stays in japan

Posted

I love Mimei and enjoy watching her videos on her English speaking channel but something about her Japanese channel makes me cringe, she seems to overact in Japanese and it sounds kind of unnatural, maybe because I'm more used to her deadpan speaking on her English channel:alpacaworry:

Posted

I love Mimei and enjoy watching her videos on her English speaking channel but something about her Japanese channel makes me cringe, she seems to overact in Japanese and it sounds kind of unnatural, maybe because I'm more used to her deadpan speaking on her English channel:alpacaworry:

You may want to watch this :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

You may want to watch this :alpacaheadshake:

Funnily enough I wrote my comment after watching that video, it did make me understand it more but it's just something I'll have to get used to lol

Posted (edited)

hey guys. long time reader, first time poster etc.

usually i'm a lurker but i thought i'd be able to explain what i'm pretty sure is the reason that duncan cut off contact with his family.

so basically i've been following duncan for a really long time now, like way back when he was still using his first english account. when he and mimei became a couple (or at least became known to each other) i started following her too.

i wouldn't really say that i'm "friends" with them or whatever, but they're both my mutuals on tumblr and have been for a while.

saying all that probably makes me sound like i'm showing off but i was just trying to make my point more credible...

just based off of what i know, that is, what mimei and duncan have said over tumblr to me and vice versa, and what i've seen in their oldest videos, i'm pretty sure that the reason duncan cut off his family was because they were all shit-talking about mimei throughout their entire relationship behind both their backs. iirc, other family members would be messaging each other, pulling the fact that mimei is white into play, calling her a slut that just wanted a visa etc etc. or at least, something along those lines if you were to translate it.

duncan's relationship with his family already seemed to be strained bc apparently his mum would talk shit about duncan's videos and say that dante's were better or something, but it looks like the final straw was when they started putting down mimei.

anyway i can't say that this is for certain, since it's just what i pieced together over old tumblr messages and neither of them ever directly said to me "hey this is the reason duncan doesn't talk to his family".

Reading this, I'm just wondering, why would his family dislike Mimei for being White/a foreigner, when Duncan's dad is too? And Duncan and his brothers are all half. Not saying I don't believe they said such things about her, but I just can't wrap my mind on why they are acting that way. It's super hypocrite, if anything. PDR/Duncan is my favorite youtuber and I quite like Mimei too, I feel bad for them having to deal with all these things.

Edited by Amethist

Posted (edited)

Reading this, I'm just wondering, why would his family dislike Mimei for being White/a foreigner, when Duncan's dad is too? And Duncan and his brothers are all half. Not saying I don't believe they said such things about her, but I just can't wrap my mind on why they are acting that way. It's super hypocrite, if anything. PDR/Duncan is my favorite youtuber and I quite like Mimei too, I feel bad for them having to deal with all these things.

From what little we know of Duncan's dad, it seems that he didn't travel back to Japan with them. It's also evident from Dante and Mikhail (Michael?) that neither had any significant British cultural influence growing up, and Duncan is the only one who remembers his time in England and maintained and improved his English language skills before the age of 20, to the point of fluency. Duncan said himself that he didn't really have anyone to practice English with before he met Mimei and relied on a lot of American films (he says this in a recent video about the US election results).

The assumption I take from all of this is that his family in Japan is almost exclusively Japanese culturally, meaning Mimei is still a foreigner despite Duncan being half European.

I feel as if there's the inevitable trap many foreigners from the Anglo-sphere fall into when learning Japanese, and it's simply how polite daily Japanese is compared to daily English. Mimei's quite restrained (in terms of being polite, not in terms of emotion) in her Japanese, and I feel like might be down to having to come to grips with something like Keigo as a second language learner, that it's always at the forefront of your mind because the equivalent doesn't exist in your native language.

Edited by redbowkiki

Posted

Yeah, that'd be pretty hypocritical of them and, maybe they don't have a good relationship with their father or dislike him or dislike their own or his whiteness? Mixed people can have those negative feelings towards one or more of their own races. Maybe that's what could make them dislike her whiteness. I never hear much about the dad other than he's English. Actually, that's all I've heard of him. Mostly I see stuff about his mom and brothers. Is his dad even in the picture? 

From what little we know of Duncan's dad, it seems that he didn't travel back to Japan with them. It's also evident from Dante and Mikhail (Michael?) that neither had any significant British cultural influence growing up, and Duncan is the only one who remembers his time in England and maintained and improved his English language skills before the age of 20, to the point of fluency. Duncan said himself that he didn't really have anyone to practice English with before he met Mimei and relied on a lot of American films (he says this in a recent video about the US election results).

The assumption I take from all of this is that his family in Japan is almost exclusively Japanese culturally, meaning Mimei is still a foreigner despite Duncan being half European.

Oh wow. It sounds like he's not part of the family...that'd be a shame, but that would explain quite a couple of things :hmm:

That was a good move by Duncan. Nowadays it's almost a requirement to know more than one language. 

all this talk about their family is making me sad actually. Poor duncan and Mimei.

Posted

I read a few articles and there's even a documentary about this (I watched the trailer but can't remember what it's called) about Japanese-foreigner couples (Mostly foreigner man Japanese woman) they move to the foreigners country then after awhile, the woman just ups and leaves and takes her kids if she has any. Sometimes without any notice, like the Dad comes back after a day of work to find them missing. Then, once in Japan, the kids lose their English and slowly become less connected with their fathers. There are struggles to get them back but once they go back to Japan it's a hard battle to win.

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED and I can't remember a lot of details but it seems to be something that happens quite a number of times.

Posted

PDR and PDS said different things about their dad, while Duncan said that their father is a hippie gaijin that already dead, Dante said that their father just left them and the family never heard of him again. Duncan always said that he was a poor kid growing up (maybe because their dad left), so maybe the family dislike foreigner because of the bad experience they endure.
You should watch Duncan's Alpaca Society video, then you'll maybe know that the 'Japanese society' (in this case, his family) push him to just be Japanese and forget about his 'western' descent (read Mimei's comment on the video), while he fully embrace his half-ness
:alpacasad::alpacabored:

I feel as if there's the inevitable trap many foreigners from the Anglo-sphere fall into when learning Japanese, and it's simply how polite daily Japanese is compared to daily English. Mimei's quite restrained (in terms of being polite, not in terms of emotion) in her Japanese, and I feel like might be down to having to come to grips with something like Keigo as a second language learner, that it's always at the forefront of your mind because the equivalent doesn't exist in your native language.

I sometimes feel that Mimei struggles hard with her Japanese because she received a lot of critique and bad comment from the viewer. From what I remember she even received some kind of hate and threat because of her Japanese. The Japanese netizen could be really harsh on her

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that'd be pretty hypocritical of them and, maybe they don't have a good relationship with their father or dislike him or dislike their own or his whiteness? Mixed people can have those negative feelings towards one or more of their own races. Maybe that's what could make them dislike her whiteness. I never hear much about the dad other than he's English. Actually, that's all I've heard of him. Mostly I see stuff about his mom and brothers. Is his dad even in the picture? 

Oh wow. It sounds like he's not part of the family...that'd be a shame, but that would explain quite a couple of things :hmm:

That was a good move by Duncan. Nowadays it's almost a requirement to know more than one language. 

all this talk about their family is making me sad actually. Poor duncan and Mimei.

iirc his dad is dead. I think he said he got hit by a train. But he could have been joking and I just didn't get it.

I don't think dante hates being half white so much as he doesn't care because he doesn't find it as a positive aspect of his life. By that, I mean maybe he doesn't find any perks or benefits from it either culturally or work related. He might not care at all honestly. On that note went to wales right? Dante is stupid (as stated by duncan and..it's also no secret :harharplz:) so I'm not surprised he would lamely and carelessly talk shit about mimei and duncan.

Edited by pooraesthetic
going to wales isn't why he's stupid

Posted

Hmmm I agree. I saw one video of her's and I just forgot about her honestly. :/  What's her full time job? I think that keeps her busy.

Mimei is a dinosaur hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoEXgZXK3YA

Honestly, I think that would take up so much time. First you have to scout out the dinosaurs and then you have to plan an attack without destroying the city. Like, she must work like crazy for that job????

Posted (edited)

I read a few articles and there's even a documentary about this (I watched the trailer but can't remember what it's called) about Japanese-foreigner couples (Mostly foreigner man Japanese woman) they move to the foreigners country then after awhile, the woman just ups and leaves and takes her kids if she has any. Sometimes without any notice, like the Dad comes back after a day of work to find them missing. Then, once in Japan, the kids lose their English and slowly become less connected with their fathers. There are struggles to get them back but once they go back to Japan it's a hard battle to win.

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED and I can't remember a lot of details but it seems to be something that happens quite a number of times.

WOW. That is wild. I've never heard of that. That's terrible. :/ I'll have to look it up ;) I love documentaries. 

In response to Hakacze: LOL. I'm sorry, but that made me laugh. Duncan is so sarcastic when he jokes that I don't doubt he made that story up. I'm more inclined to believe Dante since he's more honest even if he is a little...dumb? 

In response to Pooraesthetic: Yeah, I believe it's just a joke. I remember him joking about how he lied that his brother was his real brother. That he was just another youtuber and they pretended to be brothers for YT. His jokes are honestly a little hard to take sometimes. Duncan is dark. I really didn't like that video actually. And that makes me remember the video he did with Sharla and phallic shaped object. My god sometimes his sense of humor is too much for me!! 

With all this talk of Duncan, I feel like the Mimei thread is getting derailed. Should we make one for Duncan too?? I would but I don't know what I'd put in it... :/ 

Edited by Whythough
SORRY THAT IT'S SO MESSED UP BUT IT WOULDN'T QUOTE CORRECTLY

Posted

One idea is that I could edit this thread's OP to be about Duncan and Mimei? I feel like that would be viable because they feature so much in each other videos and they're married after all...

Posted

Hidden Content

In response to Hakacze: LOL. I'm sorry, but that made me laugh. Duncan is so sarcastic when he jokes that I don't doubt he made that story up. I'm more inclined to believe Dante since he's more honest even if he is a little...dumb? 

If this happened to Duncan I wouldn't be surprised he would take his father's side, and Dante could be easily manipulated to take his mother's. (he could be easily manipulated to believe anything TBH. even that the earth is flat) But even though we could never know exactly what happened, and they were more like children-aged when it did, I still feel more inclined to believe Duncan. 

One idea is that I could edit this thread's OP to be about Duncan and Mimei? I feel like that would be viable because they feature so much in each other videos and they're married after all...

Please do! :alpacashocked:

Posted (edited)

If this happened to Duncan I wouldn't be surprised he would take his father's side, and Dante could be easily manipulated to take his mother's. (he could be easily manipulated to believe anything TBH. even that the earth is flat) But even though we could never know exactly what happened, and they were more like children-aged when it did, I still feel more inclined to believe Duncan. 

Please do! :alpacashocked:

:( that video was so sad. I can't imagine having that happen or doing that to someone...(unless that person were abusive. then I'd run for the hills with my kids.) 

Oh yes! That's a good point about him being easily manipulated. Their mom has come off like that since I've been hearing about her. I guess now I don't believe either of them. Duncan has a way of dealing with serious personal subjects in a reluctant way and he lies. I don't believe him. I wish he'd said nothing instead of lying. and Dante is...not that smart. Since he was pretty young and considering how dumb he is, yeah, I can't fully believe him either.

I guess we'll never know.  I don't care if they deal with it in private, but if they're out here publicly lying about what went down.... 

Yeah, that sounds good :)  

Edited by Whythough