• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Mimei and Duncan (PDR-san)

2094 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think all adults can have any hobbies they want, but what I find so specifically weird about the kpop obsession in adults is because I guess I see it as a pretty ´´flat/two dimensional´´ thing to be interested in. For teenagers I understand the crushing or fangirling over members, watching their vids over and over again thinking youre going to marry them and write fan fiction or something lol. I understand when youre a young teen this is all fun. But I dont see the appeal in being obsessive over these things as an adult I guess. You usually grow out of these kind of obsessive phases when you get older, Mimei stayed in them. I think its pretty limited when you have it as an sole interest as an adult. Pretty much everyone on here has a favorite artist/genre/singer/band, but honestly if I would limit my interests to one genre of music(which is basically what kpop is doing) I´d go mad within  a few days. And this is exactly what many of these obsessive kpop fans are doing.
lets just take mimei as an example who seems to have no other hobbies or interests and even made a specific kpop only twitter account LOL,
just a few examples here. kpop person dyes hair. mimei dyes hair
kpop person gets dog. mimei gets dog

she blatantly copies these people as a grown woman. seems to me like Mimei is lacking a identity of her own. Its one thing to be inspired by something.
I know a girl who started playing violin because of an anime, I thought that was pretty cool.
But there's a difference between taking inspiration from the things you love, like trying out a instrument because your fav artist does it vs. blatantly copying whatever a kpop person does especially something as fucking dumb as getting a dog. Quoting Duncan here ´´we really thought it through it wasn't an impulse buy´´ yeah sure. LOL.

I understand teenagers obsession but with adults well into their 20s 30s 40s 80s whatever I personally find it a little weird. Especially since you are obsessing over a lot of underage people. There's a huge difference between being a 50 year old mom liking a few kpop songs and watching vids/docs, and hey perhaps even learn some Korean/ a trip to Korea due to developing a deeper cultural interest, vs., being a full grown adult being obsessed with Kpop members who could be yours sons/daughters while hanging your wall full with posters or even make a shrine(yes people do that LOL) talk non stop about kpop, and simply just have nothing else going on beside Kpop(like mimei). Usually being obsessive over something is seen as compensating behavior and not healthy. I mean obsessive is not a positive word.
I mean if you don't want people to Judge you for it, I think you just should not put it online, by putting yourself on the internet you are putting yourself in the ´´public eye´´ and people will have an opinion over what you put online. Both positive and negativ. Probably a vast majority of society would think this woman is ´´weird´´. that doesnt mean she has to quit though, she can go on all she wants but there will be people judging her for it if she chooses to put it out for the world to see. imo, this also doesnt seem like healthy behavior for an adult to me. This goes for both the woman and Mimei.

EDIT.  I also like to add that the emotional maturity of this 50 year old obsessive kpop woman is already clearly being shown by this simple post. The whole ´´I dont give a fuck what you think! I am being me take it or leave it!´´ vibe (usually people who actually really do not care what other people think dont even care enough to make posts to prove the ´´haters´´ wrong, and make these kind of posts) seems like something a rebelling/emotional teenager would write.

Edited by Kiko

Posted

^ new video where they gave the dog the dumbest name on the face of this Earth.

Like I get that 90% of the name is a joke, and I actually like those kinds of names (e.g. "our cat's full name is Elizabethan Princess Monster Truck Crusher 5000, but we just call her Liz"), but the short name is usually pretty normal and easy to say.

They nicknamed the pom Puff Puff. -_____-

As for Mimei's K-Pop obsession, imo it's fine to have your hobbies that you're hardcore into, but you just have to grow with them and realise that your way of interacting with your hobbies changes with age and life experience. Then again, who am I to judge what people do in their spare time; as long as they enjoy it and don't shove it in other people's faces, whatever.

Posted

I feel like I can't judge Mimei because since I'm on the spectrum (asd) I have hyperfictation. I'm 26 and have limited interests, but the interests I have, I'm kinda all over it. I always feel like if I judge someone who is that obsessed, they might be on the spectrum as well and I feel bad for judging them (lmao would explain why Mimei can't really keep friends, but I'm not armchairing her)
Puf Puf is a silly name, but it definitely could've been worse

Posted

Nothing is wrong with loving kpop music/fashion/etc! The only thing I find weird is fixating on the idols, who are usually in their late teens, calling them hot and lusting after them. Actually just enjoying the music obviously has no age limit and shouldn’t be shamed. 

Posted

It's not ridiculous to be in your 50's and like kpop. Plastering pictures of 20 yr olds all over your bedroom wall  and bragging about it on twitter in your 50's is. 

Posted

I don’t know if that person was talking about this post: 

6E3580F7-9E81-4D03-BCDC-C58104242D7E.jpeg

Ah okay, I was looking for something regarding the dog since we've been on that topic for a while

For those interested, the full name of the dog is in the comment. Apparently there's, like, soooo many BTS references! 

Stupid name.

Screenshot_20190612-201949.png

Posted

The thing with aging is that the body ages, but the mind stops somewhere in your mid 20s or more. People use music or anything as an escape from harsh life, or reality seeking comfort in things they like or dream about. It might look weird seeing a lady in her 50s liking such bands, but I think is ok, she does not harm anybody with it. Nobody can tell you what you can and can not like.

I'm pretty sure it's actually that the brain, not the mind, is fully developing until mid-late 20s (I think pre-frontal cortex iirc?), meaning that even people in their 20s have literal cognitive changes going on as their brain is still not fully grown which a lot of people don't realize. It doesn't mean that your maturity level stops mid 20s or that your mind can't change after that point (it can and does), it just means until that point your actual physical brain is usually not done developing fully. So it shouldn't be a reason to suggest that everyone should have the same interests they do from 25 on, or that we all have exactly the same minds as we do at 60 as we did at 25.

On topic, I think liking "childish" things is fine at any age, but I think obsession is always weird. I'm gonna find it weird to find posters of a young kpop boy band in a 50 year old woman's house, just as I'm gonna find a house full of hunting gear or a pez dispenser collection or a house filled with cat/dog decorated objects odd too. But at the end of the day if their love doesn't hurt anyone, I don't really care it's just not my thing (though actual, deep obsessiveness can definitely be unhealthy, even if only for the person obsessing). 

Mimei however is using her obsession to BUY animals and encourage shitty breeding rather than even just adopting (not to mention the costs/finances issues), so I have no sympathy for her as it clearly affects those creatures' lives. 

Posted

Puff Puff?

I'm sorry but that is the most ridiculous unoriginal name for a pet ever.

However I prefer human names for my furry children 

Posted

I think all adults can have any hobbies they want, but what I find so specifically weird about the kpop obsession in adults is because I guess I see it as a pretty ´´flat/two dimensional´´ thing to be interested in. For teenagers I understand the crushing or fangirling over members, watching their vids over and over again thinking youre going to marry them and write fan fiction or something lol. I understand when youre a young teen this is all fun. But I dont see the appeal in being obsessive over these things as an adult I guess. You usually grow out of these kind of obsessive phases when you get older, Mimei stayed in them. I think its pretty limited when you have it as an sole interest as an adult. Pretty much everyone on here has a favorite artist/genre/singer/band, but honestly if I would limit my interests to one genre of music(which is basically what kpop is doing) I´d go mad within  a few days. And this is exactly what many of these obsessive kpop fans are doing.
lets just take mimei as an example who seems to have no other hobbies or interests and even made a specific kpop only twitter account LOL,
just a few examples here. kpop person dyes hair. mimei dyes hair
kpop person gets dog. mimei gets dog

she blatantly copies these people as a grown woman. seems to me like Mimei is lacking a identity of her own. Its one thing to be inspired by something.
I know a girl who started playing violin because of an anime, I thought that was pretty cool.
But there's a difference between taking inspiration from the things you love, like trying out a instrument because your fav artist does it vs. blatantly copying whatever a kpop person does especially something as fucking dumb as getting a dog. Quoting Duncan here ´´we really thought it through it wasn't an impulse buy´´ yeah sure. LOL.

I understand teenagers obsession but with adults well into their 20s 30s 40s 80s whatever I personally find it a little weird. Especially since you are obsessing over a lot of underage people. There's a huge difference between being a 50 year old mom liking a few kpop songs and watching vids/docs, and hey perhaps even learn some Korean/ a trip to Korea due to developing a deeper cultural interest, vs., being a full grown adult being obsessed with Kpop members who could be yours sons/daughters while hanging your wall full with posters or even make a shrine(yes people do that LOL) talk non stop about kpop, and simply just have nothing else going on beside Kpop(like mimei). Usually being obsessive over something is seen as compensating behavior and not healthy. I mean obsessive is not a positive word.
I mean if you don't want people to Judge you for it, I think you just should not put it online, by putting yourself on the internet you are putting yourself in the ´´public eye´´ and people will have an opinion over what you put online. Both positive and negativ. Probably a vast majority of society would think this woman is ´´weird´´. that doesnt mean she has to quit though, she can go on all she wants but there will be people judging her for it if she chooses to put it out for the world to see. imo, this also doesnt seem like healthy behavior for an adult to me. This goes for both the woman and Mimei.

EDIT.  I also like to add that the emotional maturity of this 50 year old obsessive kpop woman is already clearly being shown by this simple post. The whole ´´I dont give a fuck what you think! I am being me take it or leave it!´´ vibe (usually people who actually really do not care what other people think dont even care enough to make posts to prove the ´´haters´´ wrong, and make these kind of posts) seems like something a rebelling/emotional teenager would write.

completely agree. It's fine to like kpop just like it's fine to like any genre of music. Liking a group is fine. But when it becomes your entire identity and you base your life decisions around it? Even something as big as getting a living, breathing animal? That's not the sign of a healthy, well-adjusted adult. And unfortunately for her, she seems to only be surrounded by people who feed into her obsession, like Duncan.

I hope at the very least they TRY and take caring for this dog seriously. 

Posted

completely agree. It's fine to like kpop just like it's fine to like any genre of music. Liking a group is fine. But when it becomes your entire identity and you base your life decisions around it? Even something as big as getting a living, breathing animal? That's not the sign of a healthy, well-adjusted adult. And unfortunately for her, she seems to only be surrounded by people who feed into her obsession, like Duncan.

I hope at the very least they TRY and take caring for this dog seriously. 

There was a brief period where I found Duncan attractive. Ended when I heard his maniacal laugh he does for no reason and after seeing their house-particularly his “room” where you literally cannot walk without fear of toppling over what looks like hundreds of manga and those god awful Funko dolls and getting buried alive. I’m so serious when I say that house would probably pass for hoarding in the West and they now force 3 other animals to live in it? Come on.

I get collecting and that it might be more acceptable in Japan due to small spaces being the norm...but that house is too fucking small for that shit. Also you’re mid 30’s. Like, Jesus. Also (and I get that’s the point, but like) those things ALL LOOK EXACTLY ALIKE. 0 artistry. Cheaply made. Basic boi shit. At least stuff like anime figures are legit sculpted. 

All that aside I guess...I do appreciate how loving/loyal he seems to be with Mimei-even if they interact on what feels more like a roommate situation. If they’re romantic I hope they use protection cause I can’t imagine a child in that house...I’d say they  probably wouldn’t go through with that but, idk...

They need to learn living beings aren’t collectibles. They need room.

I really want to like Mimei like I used to but it feels kind of ruined.

Posted

I'm pretty sure it's actually that the brain, not the mind, is fully developing until mid-late 20s (I think pre-frontal cortex iirc?), meaning that even people in their 20s have literal cognitive changes going on as their brain is still not fully grown which a lot of people don't realize. It doesn't mean that your maturity level stops mid 20s or that your mind can't change after that point (it can and does), it just means until that point your actual physical brain is usually not done developing fully. So it shouldn't be a reason to suggest that everyone should have the same interests they do from 25 on, or that we all have exactly the same minds as we do at 60 as we did at 25.

On topic, I think liking "childish" things is fine at any age, but I think obsession is always weird. I'm gonna find it weird to find posters of a young kpop boy band in a 50 year old woman's house, just as I'm gonna find a house full of hunting gear or a pez dispenser collection or a house filled with cat/dog decorated objects odd too. But at the end of the day if their love doesn't hurt anyone, I don't really care it's just not my thing (though actual, deep obsessiveness can definitely be unhealthy, even if only for the person obsessing). 

Mimei however is using her obsession to BUY animals and encourage shitty breeding rather than even just adopting (not to mention the costs/finances issues), so I have no sympathy for her as it clearly affects those creatures' lives. 

I did not mean brain, I meant personality with "mind" sorry my mistake I should have write it better. And I wrote mid 20s and more. Most people hide their "interests" which might be looked down upon, but some like Mimei and that old lady are loud about it. For example my friends grandmother wears thongs high with low jeans and she is in her 70s. Every person in this world has some kind of crazy stuff about them. Unless they hurt anybody with it its ok. But the animal problem in Mimeis case is a little bit serious.  

Posted

2202668F-E1C9-438D-887D-A1184B067F04.jpeg

223E3246-0812-413C-BA57-D5AD8D73D6D2.jpeg

Posted

Wth is this ugly hair style, anyway?

Posted

Instead of spending your money on a pet that 1. will cost you even more money in the future and 2. probably has not enough space for his well being, how  about getting a decent haircut + colour? She looks so unkept.