Mimei and Duncan (PDR-san)

985 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Mimei and Duncan are both Japan-based Youtubers, and are a married couple.

---

Mimei is a Japan-based YouTuber or Jvlogger who uploads content about anything related to Japan. She is from New Zealand, she's 29 years old and has a husband, fellow YouTuber Duncan/ PDR-san, who is half-English half-Japanese. They live together with their two cats, Cinnamon and Latte. Cinnamon loves the camera, Latte is camera-shy.

Mimei began posting videos in August 2010, a year after she had been in Japan and right now she has 3 channels which are Mimei, her main channel, which at the beginning was only in Japanese but now she posts videos in English or English subtitles as well, Mimeiland, created in 2011 in which she does random vlogs, and finally Bacouple, which is a channel with her husband and it was created on 2012.

I would like to remind you all that Mimei is not a snowflake, she has done nothing to warrant this title and she has also been dealing with her own personal problems (e.g. some people attempted to break into her flat while she was home alone). She is friends with other Jvloggers like Taylor R, Sharla, Kim Dao, Rachel & Jun, and also with Japanese YouTubers like Mahoto, Shohei, among others.

She also refers to her viewers as her lovely pineapples. :3

Links:

Main Channel, Second Channel: Mimeiland & BaCouple Channel

Twitter

Instagram

Snapchat: Bacouple

---

Duncan is a English/ Japanese Youtuber, who primarily makes videos in Japanese and subtitles them in Englsih. He's 31, married to Mimei, and lives with her and their 2 cats, Cinnamon (camera lover) and Latte (camera shy). Duncan spent part of his childhood in the UK before moving back to Japan when he was about 12. He is the oldest of three bothers, the other two being Dante (PDS-san) and Mikhail (Michael?).

Duncan's humour is frequently dark, crude, and grotesque, which is a (welcomed) deviation from the majority of Youtube Japan's content, which is highly commercial. His content is usually wide and varying, discussing anything from being half in Japan to shitty customers while working in retail to current news topics. Duncan also lands himself in hot water sometimes, as he has a propesity to critique and make fun of other Youtubers, especially ones he finds hypcrotical or producing content which he disagrees with. He has a running joke that his arch nemesis is Bando Eji. Despite his critique of YouTube Japan, Duncan is still friends with a number of Japanese YouTubers, such as Mahoto and Sohei.

He also chooses Kiwis over Aussies, as seen by marrying Mimei and vandalising a print out of Joey's face okay this was a joke

Links:

Main Channel, PDR's dust bin

Twitter

Instagram

Edited by redbowkiki
+ Duncan

Posted

I love her (and Duncan) :alpacacrush:

Posted

i personally like mimei! i feel like like out of her group of coughproblematiccough friends, she seems pretty normal and minds her own business which i like. i'm just worried one day she'll be influenced by her peers and start acting weird :alpacaworry:

Posted

She's cool, and so is PDR. I wonder what they're gonna do with the BACOUPLE channel...just kinda sitting there. Oh well, we see them together enough. 

And yes, every time I see her with the clique I die a little inside. But she seems well adjusted and also appears to have many types of friends, local and foreign. She's just so chill, and I don't doubt she's that different in real life, probably even more chill in person since you have to project a bit more character for the camera. 

I wish she'd get a fun haircut, I think something short and bouncy would make her color look better. 

Posted

Aw I love Mimei, she's so adorable, I want to squeeze her. It was about time someone made a thread for her. :alpacacrush:

Is she friends with those peoeple though? To me it seems she gets together with some of them to make very specific vlogs, and that's not very often either. I mean Taylor has beeen quite passive aggressive towards her in the past. (Only talking about "The Clique". Joey, Mahoto, Shohei and the guy who cut her hair whose name I can't remember do seem to be actual friends.)

The colour looks lovely, though I have to admit I saw the title and as someone who has about 25% grey hair (and I'm 22, fml) I felt a rush of empathy before actually watching the video, lol

Posted

1. I think she'd look fab with a short bob, her face is very long and slender so long hair just makes it longer I guess

2. Mimei's great : D I respect her for doing a main job outside of YT and doing YT as her hobby

3. the funniest thing about her and Duncan's videos is the random cat hair stuck to their clothes, it's just so random and out of nowhere lol.

Posted (edited)

Never really liked her. She seems extremely boring and mushy to me, tried a couples of her videos but most of them couldn't make it to the end. (I do remember well her trip to Korea vid though, but it annoyed me over how hypocrite her opinions on it were).

She does seem like a rather drama free person however, so good for her I guess.

Edited by LockTarget

Posted

I like her for the most part. I agree with above posters that there is something off about her. I think she's just prone to some moodiness though, and because of that, I can't fully trust her or like her.

As for the Going grey video, I really think she should go full grey. That color looks bomb on her.  a tough color to pull off to me. Her hair looks good shorter too.

What can I say...she is a bit boring, but I think that's good. In the dramatic and messy pond of Jvloggers, her being "boring" is a welcome change :) And her relationship with Duncan makes me smile. They are so cute. I'm a sucker for that stuff (love and romance) however. 

Another thing, I wish she'd show her creative side to us more. I see hints of it here and there, but it's not fully formed or feels like she's shy to show more of that side?? She's got a bit of uniqueness and quirk to her that I'd loooooove to see more of. Yeah, I wanted to mention that because I find her interesting in that respect. There's a bit of talent with filming and editing there that I think might go to waste if she does too many sit down videos and vlogs. I guess I'm a little thirsty for cool filming and editing from the Jvloggers. I appreciate that she puts in the work :alpacacrush:

OH LAST THING, Her natural warmth and kindness are what immediately attract me to her. I don't know. It's like she's very soft and sensitive?? I get a nice warm and maternal feeling from her :P like from that of a grandparent (mine at least. dk about anyone else's). 

Posted

I can't say I'm a super fan of mimei, but I like Duncan's personality and I think they have the sweetest relationship of any of the Jvlogger couples.  All of the other jvlogger couples try to overplay things (constant hearts and proclamations of how they're soulmates), don't make a big deal out of it but don't seem to have that interesting of a relationship, or do have humor between them but don't still don't seem like that interesting of a couple.  

I like how Mimei and Duncan interact.  They come across as very empathetic and aware of each other's needs.  It doesn't feel like they are just "playing it up for the camera" or to get people to write "#relationship goals".  

They seem like the most dynamic of the couples.  

Posted

new video

Posted

Hmmm I agree. I saw one video of her's and I just forgot about her honestly. :/  What's her full time job? I think that keeps her busy.

Posted

I am one of those people who found her via JaPhan. I like Duncan's videos a lot and then always check Mimei's video afterward, I think the reason why she only does vlogs and sit down video is her job. I love her vlogs, the calm & soothing pace, also her style of shooting and editing keep me entertained even though most of her vlogs content are basically the same (going out for foods and or looking around shopping).

At first I also think that she low key roasting Taylor most of the time, after some time I don't think she does it only because she envy Taylor but also to make fun of herself, she's a bit bitter because she can't afford most of the things lol.

I always intrigued about her hoarded house..lol.. I like that she's boring, and her demeanor reminds me a lot of myself, always the quirky one

Posted

Love watching Mimei and Duncan! :alpacalove: I guess her demeanour can rub some in the wrong way and she doesn't seem as fun to "hang out with" cause of her "disinterested" personality, but hey I like it! It seems more real and relatable.

Posted

Love watching Mimei and Duncan! :alpacalove: I guess her demeanour can rub some in the wrong way and she doesn't seem as fun to "hang out with" cause of her "disinterested" personality, but hey I like it! It seems more real and relatable.

I don't get disinterested from her at all. I get calm and chill. I suppose she can look disinterested to some because of how over-the-top and fake 98.9% of the Jvloggers are...