• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Rachel and Jun

829 posts in this topic

Posted

I've done volunteer work and never been demonized for it. There is a difference between doing volunteer work quietly or putting the attention on the cause vs one asshole I know who will post photos of himself doing it all over his social media in pure attention-seeking behavior.

As for RJ, I think people were calling them out for changing the thumbnail, the image before showed it was a big group effort with a dozen people to a thumbnail of just the two of them. No one is criticizing them for the good act of cleaning a beach. 

This. If the focus is you and not the volunteer work, it's shitty. If the actual work gets the cameratime and the tone is informative, not shitty. 

If it looks anything like something one might see on @Barbiesavior, it's definitely shitty

Posted

I believe I was kinda right to doubt their intentions. What they did was a great action, but the fact that they changed the thumbnail to themselves kinda shows that they care mostly about views and money. If it was really done with 100% pure intentions, they would have kept the original thumbnail to give credits to all the people who took part in that great initiative. Instead, they are still milking the AMWF thing for views. I also think that sharing a good deed with your audience can still be nice if you want to raise awareness, but the way it was done by R&J does not give this vibe. I would have had more respect for them if they kept the original thumbnail, and perhaps didn't put ads on that video specifically like many Youtubers do. 

It's a very sad life when your profits come mainly from branding your life to weebs and people who see you just as a fantasy. These two will only find themselves again if they go back to reality once and for all.

Posted

I just watched part of the video and I have another point to make here.

Not all of the garbage on the beaches in Japan come from people directly littering on the beach. Most of it is actually due to the Kuroshio current bringing garbage from other countries/ prefectures and dropping it off on Japanese beaches. It's one of the largest and fastest-moving currents in the world. Some of the criticism she has towards the beach/Japanese people is slightly misplaced since there is so much garbage washing up that it's hard to deal with it all. I mean, let's not forget that more people live in this part of the world than anywhere else.

Posted

Good lord, Jun's new video is so bad. Camera keeps focusing, it's so close to everything it's hard to see what he does... What happened

You probably should read the name of the Youtube channel before snarking, it was posted on 'Jun Yoshizuki'; it says in the bio that he posts more relaxed/unedited videos there. Its not a Juns Kitchen video.

Posted (edited)

Did someone here ever make a comprehensive list of the channels they have between the two of them? Tbh it seems to be exhausting and I don't have to manage even one...

Eta: And to be quite frank, I don't really think Youtubers such as R&J need more than... 2 channels? A main one and an extra for all the misc things they want to put out there which wouldn't quite fit with the theme of their main channel. More than that and it gets confusing. I'll give them that they'd probably get away with 3; their main channel, an extra for ALL the misc shit (gaming - if they're still into it, the cats, 'unpolished' videos, etc.) and Jun's Kitchen. But that's it.

The problem is, do they even keep track of what goes on what channel? They blurred the lines themselves by posting random vids of their cats on their main channel (when it was mostly focused on very informative bits about life in Japan) posted a cooking video not as qualitative as usual on a not-JK-but-still-Jun's-channel (when it could have gone on a misc. channel, even being turned into a "Hey guys, didn't feel like it was as good as the usual cooking videos to be on Jun's Kitchen but we still wanted you to see it") and so on.

Which makes it all the more confusing for the viewers themselves who may complain about the quality of a random video posted on what has to be their 4th or 5th channel (I may be hyperbolic here but it's close if my math is correct.)

Edited by French Fries

Posted

It was probably hella tiring for them at some point. However, I don't think it really is as they seem to no longer care or even upload regularly, so it should be fine. I think the strategy of having many channels works really well in a way you get more followers and views. Many people may not be interested in their Japan's content, so they will go to their other channel for cats or random vlogs for example, and vice versa. It's true that they upload random stuff to each channel now, but they only do so because usually the audience doesn't find an issue with that overall.

But it's known at this point that the strategy of having multiple channels brings more views and followers. Also don't forget that they are two people, so each manages two channels. It's pretty doable. It would suck for Jun if he had always been part of R&J channel the whole time, instead of having his own thing. 

Did someone here ever make a comprehensive list of the channels they have between the two of them? Tbh it seems to be exhausting and I don't have to manage even one...

Eta: And to be quite frank, I don't really think Youtubers such as R&J need more than... 2 channels? A main one and an extra for all the misc things they want to put out there which wouldn't quite fit with the theme of their main channel. More than that and it gets confusing. I'll give them that they'd probably get away with 3; their main channel, an extra for ALL the misc shit (gaming - if they're still into it, the cats, 'unpolished' videos, etc.) and Jun's Kitchen. But that's it.

The problem is, do they even keep track of what goes on what channel? They blurred the lines themselves by posting random vids of their cats on their main channel (when it was mostly focused on very informative bits about life in Japan) posted a cooking video not as qualitative as usual on a not-JK-but-still-Jun's-channel (when it could have gone on a misc. channel, even being turned into a "Hey guys, didn't feel like it was as good as the usual cooking videos to be on Jun's Kitchen but we still wanted you to see it") and so on.

Which makes it all the more confusing for the viewers themselves who may complain about the quality of a random video posted on what has to be their 4th or 5th channel (I may be hyperbolic here but it's close if my math is correct.)

Jun barely uploads on Jun Yoshizuki's channel. He barely uploads even on his own channel. 

Posted

Jun kitchen actually had a Jun kitchen video. Did they finally get the hint 😂 

Posted

Jun kitchen actually had a Jun kitchen video. Did they finally get the hint 😂 

My boyfriend said the same - but I'm sure he hasn't watched it yet (he was a big fan tho). Seems like people generally agree on this, seeing that it got only 360k. Ofc that can change and increase ... But I feel like people don't care as much anymore, which is understandable

Posted

My boyfriend said the same - but I'm sure he hasn't watched it yet (he was a big fan tho). Seems like people generally agree on this, seeing that it got only 360k. Ofc that can change and increase ... But I feel like people don't care as much anymore, which is understandable

The uploads on JK have been so inconsistent and rare that in the meantime, a lot of subscribers probably left to watch other EA channels who post cooking videos (and who fit the bill of: high quality videos, English/Other languages subtitles, uploading every few weeks max, some have cute animals, etc...)

Posted

"Only" 2 months of difference between the video, seems like they got the hint lol + they made it in that kitchen that was built thanks to patreon.

It was a very nice video. But you guys are right, he is becoming slowly less and less relevant. But it makes sense, his uploading schedule is the issue. When I check Li Ziqi, I am like damn. She puts him into dust.

Posted (edited)

well when the cat videos easily make one million views in two days...i cant blame them but at the same time it sucks

Edited by saber932

Posted

i cant blame them but at the same time it sucks

That's 100% how I feel. I was hoping after their move, when they settled they would explore a little more. They had amazing travel vlogs once in a while. Micaela stopped posting vlogs of the region for personal reasons for a while, so I was looking forward to see a bit of Fukuoka and southern Japan.

Posted

That's 100% how I feel. I was hoping after their move, when they settled they would explore a little more. They had amazing travel vlogs once in a while. Micaela stopped posting vlogs of the region for personal reasons for a while, so I was looking forward to see a bit of Fukuoka and southern Japan.

Yeah because their one vlog at the mueum I believe made 90k in one day for which isn't alot. I get it why put time and effort in a video if people aren't interested. 

Posted

@saber934 

While I agree when it comes to that particular vlog, some people like me lose interest overall. I'm bored with the constant cat videos and I even like cats. I haven't watched maybe the last three or more videos. I'm thinking of turning off the notifications. I feel like I already know what will happen in the vlogs, so why bother watching it? They did a variety of different vlogs, travel vlogs, cats, cooking, gaming, reading, rambling that was somehow relateable and stuff I probably forgot. These days it's 98% cat videos.

Posted

The thing is with Rachel and Jun, they seem perfectly harmless but just kind of boring? I'm sure they're nice people and I do find some of their videos relaxing to watch (plus their cats are very cute!), but like... it isn't particularly interesting, especially their more recent stuff.