• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Rachel and Jun

829 posts in this topic

Posted

Haku and Nagi video gets 306k in three days

Vlogs:100 to 200k each in 2 weeks

Posted

About jun's channel, one video a month seems like a reasonable, doable schedule to follow. I mean ffs mark rober has managed to consistently upload one HIGH QUALITY video every single month and considering how thorough and deep he goes into all of his videos, jun doesn't stand a chance. 

Posted

About jun's channel, one video a month seems like a reasonable, doable schedule to follow. I mean ffs mark rober has managed to consistently upload one HIGH QUALITY video every single month and considering how thorough and deep he goes into all of his videos, jun doesn't stand a chance. 

Funny thing is a video he said the goal was one video a month 😂

Posted

Well sweeties, I'm just very fascinated by Rachel and Jun because I honestly don't understand why their channel is so popular. That's not meant to be criticism as I think they are very authentic and attractive people who deserve all the success they've earned and I only wish them well. But when I watch their videos there doesn't seem to be anything particularly special about the content. It's either about their cats or some new gadget in the house or watching them opening a package from fans.

There are other long term Jvloggers who have been doing videos with similar content and they don't have even have 1/10th the subs or views. So my apologies if this question has already been asked, but I'm really curious to know what is the secret to their success and popularity. Can anyone explain this to me? I mean, certainly it helps that Jun is such a handsome young man and a tall drink of water to boot! I could easily watch him all day, honey! You can imagine my disappointment when there wasn't a single shot of Jun shirtless in the recent beach video. He's such a tease! lol

Posted (edited)

Their videos used to be decent until recently. Now they just pump out whatever. @Missy Deluxe

Edited by Studi0

Posted

Well sweeties, I'm just very fascinated by Rachel and Jun because I honestly don't understand why their channel is so popular. That's not meant to be criticism as I think they are very authentic and attractive people who deserve all the success they've earned and I only wish them well. But when I watch their videos there doesn't seem to be anything particularly special about the content. It's either about their cats or some new gadget in the house or watching them opening a package from fans.

There are other long term Jvloggers who have been doing videos with similar content and they don't have even have 1/10th the subs or views. So my apologies if this question has already been asked, but I'm really curious to know what is the secret to their success and popularity. Can anyone explain this to me? I mean, certainly it helps that Jun is such a handsome young man and a tall drink of water to boot! I could easily watch him all day, honey! You can imagine my disappointment when there wasn't a single shot of Jun shirtless in the recent beach video. He's such a tease! lol

My opinion is that they were the first western woman and Japanese guy couple on You Tube that really caught people's attention. Others came after yet never caught on like those two did. 

These days it really is all fur babies and vlogging. I guess they want to relax and enjoy the good life for a little while. 

Posted

In spite of the very bad content they are producing lately, their success is still well deserved. And many factors contributed to that:

-They have had a Youtube channel for more than 7 years.

-They were one of the first interracial couples on Youtube, and probably the first one where one of the partners is Japanese.

-Both of them can be considered attractive, especially Jun who is waaay above Japanese standards, either when it comes to his height or his facial features.

-The fact that they were separated for such a long period of time made many people curious and follow them with passion (that explains why they have a very strong and faithful fanbase)

-The fact that the content is about Japan, which has been a hot trend for the past few years.

-They used to invest a lot of time and efforts in their videos, and they were one of the most creative Jvloggers (Most Jvloggers did just random shit such as cafe tours or showing spots + with a shitty camera quality/editing, Rachel and Jun did creative stuff like the Japanese guide, introducing their audience to Japanese handcrafters, talking about sensitive issues like the Tokyo University Scandal, sharing different perspectives about Japan, and Jun sharing tips about how to learn English etc)

-They have 4 channels, which means whenever they upload on one, they still garner fans on other channels since they always link their other channels in the description.

-They have cats.

-Junskitchen Channel combined most of these factors all at once + the insane quality of filming. They really have the best quality to be honest.

So yeah, that's it. They were lucky to have many assets, but the reason why they became even more famous is that they exploited these assets efficiently by working hard and being more involved. And once you become famous, you don't really need to do all those efforts anymore, because you got your strong fanbase and you will still stay relevant for quite some time. After all, many famous Youtubers don't do shit and they are waaay more famous. Pewdiepie just films himself playing minecraft, Jenna Marbles do random videos about her dogs, even Nigahiga stopped the skits and now is doing podcasts. I think it is pointless for these Youtubers to still make a lot of efforts knowing damn well they can still earn a lot of money by not doing anything special. On Youtube, you don't really need to be highly talented or special to be famous, all you need is to follow the right trends and exploit a certain type of audience, and Youtube's algorithm will do the rest.

Posted

My opinion is that they were the first western woman and Japanese guy couple on You Tube that really caught people's attention. Others came after yet never caught on like those two did. 
These days it really is all fur babies and vlogging. I guess they want to relax and enjoy the good life for a little while. 

Imo they also seem to have a loving and respectful relationship.

It's not uncommon for interracial couples (esp. European/ Asian ones) where race is fetishized to a certain extent. With Rachel and Jun I don't get that vibe at all.

Posted

It's not uncommon for interracial couples (esp. European/ Asian ones) where race is fetishized to a certain extent. With Rachel and Jun I don't get that vibe at all.

Especially respect. It is definitely a huge thing in their relationship which is something I truly appreciate. Both of them helped each other grow a lot: Rachel helped Jun open up and share his potential with the audience, and on the other hand, it is so obvious that Jun does so many sacrifices so that Rachel can feel happy and comfortable since she is the one to have struggled the most. I think that he was very uncomfortable making many videos (although he claims otherwise), but he still did nonetheless for the sake of Rachel. I don't think it's really bad because she also does most of the work, so sacrifices should be a thing in a relationship.

Posted (edited)

-Both of them can be considered attractive, especially Jun who is waaay above Japanese standards, either when it comes to his height or his facial features.

Not calling the man ugly, but I don't see it. He's not better most Japanese men I've seen facially and let's be honest, if he were 5'6" I dont think half as many people would care. I find Rachel more interesting and Jun's personality too quiet and boring for my taste. 

I was invested in their story when they separated, but as I mentioned elsewhere, they became boring for me very fast. I liked that Rachel was brave enough to publically call out Mira for her sock puppet accounts, but I haven't watched their content since. 

Edited by AudreyLah
Added mira drama

Posted

Not calling the man ugly, but I don't see it. He's not better most Japanese men I've seen facially and let's be honest, if he were 5'6" I dont think half as many people would care. I find Rachel more interesting and Jun's personality too quiet and boring for my taste. 

I was invested in their story when they separated, but as I mentioned elsewhere, they became boring for me very fast. I liked that Rachel was brave enough to publically call out Mira for her sock puppet accounts, but I haven't watched their content since. 

I don't really find Jun that good looking, but I just understand when many people do, mainly because of his height and his sharp/manly features... and the fact that he used to look like a manga character with his hair, which kinda triggers some bias for many people. And to be honest, yes, he is quite boring and Rachel is definitely more interesting. I find it weird when most people say otherwise. I just think many women/men lately want a partner that is too passive because they usually give the chill happy vibe that many of them are lacking. 

Posted

Truue. Thats the reason why I like this couple. ^_^ Honestly I dont really care for how long they dont make their vids on Juns Kitchen channel, as long as they are doing well and are bringing some comfy-vibe video that is done good, I don t mind. I cant find both of their channels 'bingewatching' or 'updating 24/7' worthy.

Posted (edited)

Yea i also think Jun and Rachel are a good couple and are cute together

I kinda wish they didn't get lazy like all the other jvloggers because I really liked their content... but i guess you COULD argue that they deserve it at this point because they did hustle at the beginning. I think they were one of the first japan youtubers to go out and interview Japanese people (before that incelish guy Nobito?). But also... their success can mostly be attributed to the fact they got in Youtube early, Japan itself being a popular niche, and taking advantage of the other niche of being an international couple. Compared to now, international couple youtubers are a dime a dozen now and the wannabe japan youtuber market is oversaturated. 

Edited by Athena

Posted

I kinda wish they didn't get lazy like all the other jvloggers because I really liked their content... but i guess you COULD argue that they deserve it at this point because they did hustle at the beginning. I think they were one of the first japan youtubers to go out and interview Japanese people (before that incelish guy Nobito?). But also... their success can mostly be attributed to the fact they got in Youtube early, Japan itself being a popular niche, and taking advantage of the other niche of being an international couple. Compared to now, international couple youtubers are a dime a dozen now and the wannabe japan youtuber market is oversaturated. 

Yes true, and I am glad they have friends now. Although they love each other and have great chemistry, I can only imagine how boring it must be to stay with the same person everyday in such a bad apartment (their old one).

Posted

yeah i dont think they thought of this as a job until maybe 2015/2016 when youtube turned around to be more marketing related. It was a hobby and something they wanted to do together to keep in touch when rachel was in the military. Its also not just international couple but interracial as well. Audiences eat up that stuff these days. I say that as I notice a lot of interracial couples "my *insert race* wife or husband" after watching a rachel and jun video.