• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Rachel and Jun

646 posts in this topic

Posted

I wonder if they're getting burnt out on the youtube thing. At least Rachel. I'm sure Jun has more cooking videos in him, but without direct sponsorship from like tourism orgs or similar things I wonder if they just dont have anything to say in youtube videos anymore. The cats are kind of an evergreen source of content since you dont exactly need a "topic" or "plan" to just show cats doing cute things. Their moving video was clearly a big thing that could be mined for video material. 

I think they were great video makers but if the passion isnt in it for them anymore than I don't mind that they're taking a step back. I'd rather occasional cat videos than stale forced content without any heart in it.

The problem with the cat videos is that they are getting old and they feel forced now. There are about 10 videos from them that showed the same thing as their new one. They had some creative ideas with the cats but this video should have gone on their adventure channels. 

"Whelp havent been posting so here is another cat video"

Posted

The problem with the cat videos is that they are getting old and they feel forced now. There are about 10 videos from them that showed the same thing as their new one. They had some creative ideas with the cats but this video should have gone on their adventure channels. 

"Whelp havent been posting so here is another cat video"

It's kinda working though, most of their fans seem to enjoy that content so damn much so they won't see the need to change that any time soon. Especially not for a minority. Just check the comments (make a channel for Haku, more videos of cats please, etc). And honestly, I feel bad for Rachel lately, it feels like she doesn't have much of an impact as before. I think she is the one who kinda feels bored and Jun is the one thriving lately. He is finally doing what he loves and he is getting all the attention now. Their future is definitely Junskitchen, it is on the way of becoming one of the most (if not the most) popular cooking channels on Youtube. 100-120k subs per month are literally 1-1.2 million followers per year. 

Rachel is definitely proud of him, but I wonder how it feels for her to not receive the same attention as before. 

Posted

It's kinda working though, most of their fans seem to enjoy that content so damn much so they won't see the need to change that any time soon. Especially not for a minority. Just check the comments (make a channel for Haku, more videos of cats please, etc). And honestly, I feel bad for Rachel lately, it feels like she doesn't have much of an impact as before. I think she is the one who kinda feels bored and Jun is the one thriving lately. He is finally doing what he loves and he is getting all the attention now. Their future is definitely Junskitchen, it is on the way of becoming one of the most (if not the most) popular cooking channels on Youtube. 100-120k subs per month are literally 1-1.2 million followers per year. 

Rachel is definitely proud of him, but I wonder how it feels for her to not receive the same attention as before. 

No, I don't think it bothers her. Of course, I can't speak for her. But I'd be proud and that's it. I guess because they have different channels with different content. You can't compare apples with pears. And if she's really jealous, she could just make more content. Or at least that's my general opinion on this. I don't know her and she could be jealous after all

Posted (edited)

yeah and its trending so I get it's a smart money move but to me it just feels forced. I think they only put it on their main channel was because of the sponsor. I know im the minority based on views but it is sad because we all know they can do better than show off cats. Heck even their sketches were clever for just doing it themselves and a friend. 

Edited by saber932

Posted

I would have thought that after moving to a new place with two kitchens specifically so that Jun could do videos for his channel, he'd actually be taking advantage of it and uploading more..

As for their main channel and the other channel.. Can't really blame them for not posting much. They've been doing this for ages already, and are bound to be burnt out.. At least they're not just churning out crap like other channels... *cough* Kim Dao *cough*

Posted

I would have thought that after moving to a new place with two kitchens specifically so that Jun could do videos for his channel, he'd actually be taking advantage of it and uploading more..

As for their main channel and the other channel.. Can't really blame them for not posting much. They've been doing this for ages already, and are bound to be burnt out.. At least they're not just churning out crap like other channels... *cough* Kim Dao *cough*

adventures channel they upload more often because the main channel was for the better quality videos and specifically related to Japan. 

Now the main channel, in my opinion, is to the highest sponsor. I was confused why the ninja tour place was put in adventures instead of the main channel (tourist japanese place for people visiting japan) but oh well. They are very lucky that their channel isnt dead from the lack of posts at least or they would have to go out in the real world of work force japan. 

Posted

adventures channel they upload more often because the main channel was for the better quality videos and specifically related to Japan. 

Now the main channel, in my opinion, is to the highest sponsor. I was confused why the ninja tour place was put in adventures instead of the main channel (tourist japanese place for people visiting japan) but oh well. They are very lucky that their channel isnt dead from the lack of posts at least or they would have to go out in the real world of work force japan. 

Let's just accept that they reached a point of fame where they no longer need to do anything and it would be more than fine. Things may change in 5 years or so, but I think even if they don't upload in the next 2-3 years, they would still live pretty well. It's like a CEO when he makes a company and reaches the peak, he gets it easy for quite some time. Maybe they are trying to figure out some stuff, I am sure they don't spend the whole day doing nothing, that is impossible. Especially for Rachel who is very hyperactive and who needs to do things. I am sure there is some stuff going on. It's like Daniel Howell when he disappeared (Although Daniel really did disappear for quite a long time haha).

Posted

Let's just accept that they reached a point of fame where they no longer need to do anything and it would be more than fine. Things may change in 5 years or so, but I think even if they don't upload in the next 2-3 years, they would still live pretty well. It's like a CEO when he makes a company and reaches the peak, he gets it easy for quite some time. Maybe they are trying to figure out some stuff, I am sure they don't spend the whole day doing nothing, that is impossible. Especially for Rachel who is very hyperactive and who needs to do things. I am sure there is some stuff going on. It's like Daniel Howell when he disappeared (Although Daniel really did disappear for quite a long time haha).

I do understand that and can't judge them based on majority vote on what viewers want to see. The only thing is with being a CEO is that you have others do the work for you to make it easier or have merch to sell. I'm just saying if it wasn't for their fans, they probably would lose views just compared to other youtubers who post even at least a video a month with their views. At least we don't get "sorry we have been gone" videos every 6 months. (though I do sometimes enjoy update videos lol)

I had to look up Daniel and yeah I cant complain about rachel and jun not posting enough now xD  *goes to the corner* 

Posted

At this point, they are reading this forum and trolling us, right?

Posted

I used to be a huge fan of Rachel & Jun, and I completely understood them taking some time out to get organised with their house move. However in my opinion their content has plummeted. When I received that little notification of their new apartment tour I was excited and then disappointed. And now their channel has become about cats? Really?

For me, when they posted the 'Go fund me' for their friends dog I was disgusted, I understand the dog needed medical care and such but for Rachel and Jun to ask their fans for money, I sat there shaking my head, what have they become? Then we get a few cat videos which make me cringe, they tease their cats to a point where I feel uncomfortable. Especially the one where Poki is crying for 2 hours for food and it takes what feels like 30 mins to feed them and then they feed Poki last, the poor cat choked down his food he was so hungry because Rachel was too busy with the camera. I am not sure if this is the same video with the pointless coin conversation? That video was awkward and something seemed really off between Rachel and Jun, she's talking and he just moves the camera off of her to the cats, like he was bored or easily distracted, it makes me wonder if they are having issues within their marriage, maybe the move wasn't all they thought it would be or maybe Rachel spends more time playing Overwatch than she cares to admit. 

As for Jun's Kitchen, I think although he enjoys cooking I don't think this channel was his idea, I seems more like it's something Rachel persuaded him to do, so he had his own thing within the community too, this could explain why he doesn't upload frequently. The way he comes across, being a Youtuber was not his idea of a career, maybe a hobby and maybe he hoped in time it would pass. He seems like a nice guy and was doing what keeps his wife happy. 

As people, I am sure they are both really nice in their real lives but I am very disappointed in the route they are taking the channel. If they don't want to do Youtube anymore, then they should say instead of just throwing out these cat videos and awkward talks about where people keep their loose change.  

Posted

I used to be a huge fan of Rachel & Jun, and I completely understood them taking some time out to get organised with their house move. However in my opinion their content has plummeted. When I received that little notification of their new apartment tour I was excited and then disappointed. And now their channel has become about cats? Really?

For me, when they posted the 'Go fund me' for their friends dog I was disgusted, I understand the dog needed medical care and such but for Rachel and Jun to ask their fans for money, I sat there shaking my head, what have they become? Then we get a few cat videos which make me cringe, they tease their cats to a point where I feel uncomfortable. Especially the one where Poki is crying for 2 hours for food and it takes what feels like 30 mins to feed them and then they feed Poki last, the poor cat choked down his food he was so hungry because Rachel was too busy with the camera. I am not sure if this is the same video with the pointless coin conversation? That video was awkward and something seemed really off between Rachel and Jun, she's talking and he just moves the camera off of her to the cats, like he was bored or easily distracted, it makes me wonder if they are having issues within their marriage, maybe the move wasn't all they thought it would be or maybe Rachel spends more time playing Overwatch than she cares to admit. 

As for Jun's Kitchen, I think although he enjoys cooking I don't think this channel was his idea, I seems more like it's something Rachel persuaded him to do, so he had his own thing within the community too, this could explain why he doesn't upload frequently. The way he comes across, being a Youtuber was not his idea of a career, maybe a hobby and maybe he hoped in time it would pass. He seems like a nice guy and was doing what keeps his wife happy. 

As people, I am sure they are both really nice in their real lives but I am very disappointed in the route they are taking the channel. If they don't want to do Youtube anymore, then they should say instead of just throwing out these cat videos and awkward talks about where people keep their loose change.  

Agree with you overall but I don't think they have problems in their couple (I mean they might have but I didn't get that vibe honestly). To me, it feels like they have more chemistry flowing than before and Jun seems to be more comfortable when it comes to expressing his feelings to Rachel. As for their videos, I definitely get the vibe that they are bored but they gotta make a living. After all, making a forced cat video and earning thousands of dollars is still better than a 9-5 job if you think about it 9_9

If you check SocialBlade, the four channels earned last month +20 million views just from people viewing their old content, that is like 20k dollars. And they have also a Patreon with over 1100 patrons from which they make at least 3k dollars. Honestly, there is no point for them to upload any quality content anymore, one or two cat videos and they make it to trending and even Youtube's official account shares their videos constantly. Even the most bored person would be satisfied with that, I guess so. Now they have more time for each other, their friends and doing other stuff, that's it. They worked really hard before when their circumstances were quite bad, but now that they are rich, there is no point in trying harder, especially when 90% of the fans are satisfied

Posted

Then we get a few cat videos which make me cringe, they tease their cats to a point where I feel uncomfortable. Especially the one where Poki is crying for 2 hours for food and it takes what feels like 30 mins to feed them and then they feed Poki last, the poor cat choked down his food he was so hungry because Rachel was too busy with the camera. 

Poki was feral, and often cats who lived in the streets will exhibit leftover habits from their time of scavenging, which is why he also dumpster dives, looking for food. It's totally normal for cats like that to whine and steal food. He's not starving. They're feeding him a healthy amount. They feed him last -because- he eats so fast, also a psychological habit from his feral days. Experts advise to ignore excessive whining and pleading for food from healthy cats. 

Posted

Poki was feral, and often cats who lived in the streets will exhibit leftover habits from their time of scavenging, which is why he also dumpster dives, looking for food. It's totally normal for cats like that to whine and steal food. He's not starving. They're feeding him a healthy amount. They feed him last -because- he eats so fast, also a psychological habit from his feral days. Experts advise to ignore excessive whining and pleading for food from healthy cats. 

True. One thing we cannot doubt is that their cats are super duper spoiled. After all, they are the stars now! 

Posted (edited)

I think with Jun's kitchen, he has a lot more freedom and time vs a normal working job in Japan. Jun has always done cooking videos and when the knife video went bank, they move on to that. He did seem to like it more when he started but now I have no idea. I cant see Rachel forcing or persuading him to do it if you decide you needed two kitchens for your show. What would Jun do besides youtube? Heck I can say the same for Rachel. I can see them having other jobs but they would be miserable with Japan's work life balance. It's sad when you can tell the videos they enjoyed making has lower views than their cat videos.

As for the dog, if it was for stray or they posted regular videos, I probably wouldnt have an issue with it. By not doing anything and just posting "hey help this dog that my friends bought without checking their finances" I get it's hard to get a pet  but dont buy a dog if you cant afford medical expenses. 

Edited by saber932