• Announcements

• Recent changes to PULL   07/07/19

Hello everyone,   As promised, we're working on some changes to improve the forum and community! So far, here are the recent changes: Negative reputation has been disabled. Upvoting remains intact. This is a trial run to deal with whiteknights brigading certain topics and salty users mass-downvoting users they disagree with. Some text formatting options have been removed. Some users like to format their posts in ways that make them harder to read or downright obnoxious. (Light colors, tiny fonts, etc), so this helps make threads more readable. If you find yourself needing post formatting because you're making a new thread, please contact a mod and we will make it happen. New threads have to be approved anyway, so you're not going to have to start out with an ugly thread. Text formatting remains available to all users who have supported us via Patreon.No more threads on "Online Personalities". We will NOT lock or remove old threads, but we won't approve new threads about people who don't have any history of drama or controversies. Some threads will be moved to the snowflake sections if applicable. Read the new topic guidelines before you make a new thread.Here are our works in progress: New categories will be added. "Little Snowflakes" is too broad of a spectrum, so we're going to sort our flakes into a few sub-sections to keep things organized. We will also make more use of tags for those flakes who transcend categories. This will also allow us to appoint moderators to specific categories or snowflakes. New moderators will be onboarded soon. 

Rachel and Jun

638 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there like a... Special thing about people on YT adopting pets (in Japan) and then e-begging to their followers? Is this the new thing? Mimei & Duncan did it and now them? What's going on?!

Posted (edited)

(Double post)

Edited by French Fries

Posted

Why adopt a pet with health issues when you know you can't afford its medical care in the first place? It DOESN'T show that you're a compassionate good person, it only shows that you're selfish and want validation of being a good person. 

It's different from Mimei and Duncan who have a long history of e-begging and then spending money of superficial merchandise, then e-begging again and buying purebreed pets, then e-begging again and going to kpop concerts. At least Rachel and Jun adopted their pet, and they don't show themselves splurging on merchandise, so it's not as bad as Mimei and Duncan. But it's still bad.

Posted

Why adopt a pet with health issues when you know you can't afford its medical care in the first place? It DOESN'T show that you're a compassionate good person, it only shows that you're selfish and want validation of being a good person. 

It's different from Mimei and Duncan who have a long history of e-begging and then spending money of superficial merchandise, then e-begging again and buying purebreed pets, then e-begging again and going to kpop concerts. At least Rachel and Jun adopted their pet, and they don't show themselves splurging on merchandise, so it's not as bad as Mimei and Duncan. But it's still bad.

It's apparently not about Rachel and Jun but they're helping friends out who adopted thi dog. But same applied to them tbh

Posted

I am really done with ytubers e-begging for their pets. If you can’t afford a medical emergency for your pet, don’t have a pet. 

Poki situation was a bit different and I was fine with it. All I ask is a 5 min video and delete later. It's funny how they are busy but here is 23 min donation video 

Posted (edited)

I don't think they care anymore about views or fans. They already made enough cash these past years and that video was perhaps just a good excuse for Rachel to keep the channel alive. Now that they finally had their dream apartment, I think they will just take a long break to enjoy their time since it really took them a lot to reach that. So uploading pets and vanilla content once in a while is more than enough, at least for now. I find it hard to imagine them still being Youtubers for the next 5-10 years.

But they will probably stay Youtubers, as there aren't many options for them in the Japanese Job Market. 

Those are just my guesses.

Edited by LittleFlower

Posted

I mean in a way if the dog would not have the change to get help if left in a shelter, I get them asking for money. Honestly for an animal that's okay with me. I don't know what's the situation in Japan with animals, but I'm fine with them asking for money for an animal. If it was an animal they have bough sure, but an adopted one I'm kinda okay with it. Just my opinion, I'm not WK. 

Posted

I don't think they care anymore about views or fans. They already made enough cash these past years and that video was perhaps just a good excuse for Rachel to keep the channel alive. Now that they finally had their dream apartment, I think they will just take a long break to enjoy their time since it really took them a lot to reach that. So uploading pets and vanilla content once in a while is more than enough, at least for now. I find it hard to imagine them still being Youtubers for the next 5-10 years.

But they will probably stay Youtubers, as there aren't many options for them in the Japanese Job Market. 

Those are just my guesses.

That's kinda the thing. Where do they get money for rent and stuff? The prefecture they moved to isn't cheap and they only do YT. What is their income stream if/when their channel dries up due to their inactivity? Rachel was military so I guess she could go back to that? But there are no bases around them. 

Posted

I remember Jun mentioning that he wanted to open a cafe before he started YT full time. With his skills I think it's def a possibility. I don't know why they don't capitalize on their e-fame more, save and invest, and then retire from YT in a year or two if they're that bored of it already. I remember Rachel always complaining that she and Jun are SO busy... doing what tho?? It is a mystery. 

Posted (edited)

At this point they seem to be uploading 1 video in 2-3 months for their main channel which sounds bad but they get so much more views than your average jvlogger if you count the video they released on December in 6 month they have accumulated 7,5 million views from new videos and its not like people stop watching their old ones, their 9 month old cat video has now 7,3 million views .

The Rachel and Jun adventures channel that they update more often than their main channel has gained 6,3 million views from the videos they uploaded in the last 6 months.

Add to that Juns channels that have racked 3,6 million and 3,2 million views from the videos they have released in the last 6 months and of course just like their main and side channel people are still watching their old videos.

That means that they have gained over 20 million views just from the videos they uploaded in the last 6 months add to that whatever new views their older videos get and the fact that they have a patreon with 1,190 patreons and they should be earning quite a bit of money from all of this and not see any reason to upload anymore than that but i do believe that that attitude will lead to their channels eventually dying. Which is a shame because i feel like at the very least  Juns channels could be even more successful than now if he just uploaded more videos on them like he doesn't even need to upload every week just uploading every 2 weeks would help his channels grow by a lot.

Edited by Kiko💞
grammar and spelling issues sorry im not a native speaker

Posted

They are not busy I think, they are just trying to have some family/friends time now since they were very busy the past years. They were uploading a lot of videos before and they really put a lot of work into that. All they were doing before was Youtube, and Rachel stated in one of the vlogs related to moving that she was very depressed all these years. The moving out is finally an opportunity for her to be happy again and have some friends. After all, it always felt like they never had anyone but themselves. And as stated previously in a comment, they are already making enough money with only those few uploads.

I remember Jun mentioning that he wanted to open a cafe before he started YT full time. With his skills I think it's def a possibility. I don't know why they don't capitalize on their e-fame more, save and invest, and then retire from YT in a year or two if they're that bored of it already. I remember Rachel always complaining that she and Jun are SO busy... doing what tho?? It is a mystery. 

I think they are already saving and investing a lot. They earned a lot of money previously and they could've bought even fancier stuff for their apartment, but most of the furniture was low-cost. It is a great move I think.

As for Jun, to be fair with you, I think he is really a nice guy with some very good cooking skills. However, he is just an Amateur, not a chef. Japan has a lot of talented and highly skillful people, and most of us tend to forget this.  What Jun is doing in a video that took him 4 months to make is easily done by a Japanese chef in less than 1 hour. His videos are mostly special because of the aesthetics, the cats and a foreign audience which is easily astonished by his skills. So yeah, opening a Cafe is not that easy, but I believe it is highly possible, especially if he is creative. And since I think he is making a lot of efforts, he can definitely make it. 

Ps: He is really doing a great job at making those videos. And Rachel helps him as well.

Posted

They are not busy I think, they are just trying to have some family/friends time now since they were very busy the past years. They were uploading a lot of videos before and they really put a lot of work into that. All they were doing before was Youtube, and Rachel stated in one of the vlogs related to moving that she was very depressed all these years. The moving out is finally an opportunity for her to be happy again and have some friends. After all, it always felt like they never had anyone but themselves. And as stated previously in a comment, they are already making enough money with only those few uploads.

I think they are already saving and investing a lot. They earned a lot of money previously and they could've bought even fancier stuff for their apartment, but most of the furniture was low-cost. It is a great move I think.

As for Jun, to be fair with you, I think he is really a nice guy with some very good cooking skills. However, he is just an Amateur, not a chef. Japan has a lot of talented and highly skillful people, and most of us tend to forget this.  What Jun is doing in a video that took him 4 months to make is easily done by a Japanese chef in less than 1 hour. His videos are mostly special because of the aesthetics, the cats and a foreign audience which is easily astonished by his skills. So yeah, opening a Cafe is not that easy, but I believe it is highly possible, especially if he is creative. And since I think he is making a lot of efforts, he can definitely make it. 

Ps: He is really doing a great job at making those videos. And Rachel helps him as well.

I mean if you have most of your videos as apology for not posting, there is a problem. I don't mind they take a break and post a few a year but it's not even that. They are lucky they have a faithful fan base or the channel would die down. 

like ive said youtube is a business and a job. Like we all have day jobs that we have to go no matter how we are feeling. Especally in Japan, they would most likely be even more depressed with an office job. 

as for the cafe, it was more for foreigners than locals. I think with the right training, he could be great. He was going to post once a month but that wwent out the window. 

Posted

I'll be honest, I don't begrudge them having a social life. I just miss their videos because I usually enjoy most of them.

Posted

I'll be honest, I don't begrudge them having a social life. I just miss their videos because I usually enjoy most of them.

I wish they'd do more with people... I thought the move to FUK would mean they'd collab with the YouTubers who live there but nope

Posted

I mean if you have most of your videos as apology for not posting, there is a problem. I don't mind they take a break and post a few a year but it's not even that. They are lucky they have a faithful fan base or the channel would die down. 

like ive said youtube is a business and a job. Like we all have day jobs that we have to go no matter how we are feeling. Especally in Japan, they would most likely be even more depressed with an office job. 

as for the cafe, it was more for foreigners than locals. I think with the right training, he could be great. He was going to post once a month but that wwent out the window. 

I do agree with you completely. But as you said, they have a faithful fanbase and they are aware of that as well. Their fanbase is highly biased actually, to the point where negative feedback is not even tolerated in the comments section. After all, it is true, they barely upload anything lately and they still make at least a solid 4k dollars per month. It won't last obviously as Youtube is highly competitive, but at least for now, they have it very chill. The apology videos are there just so that people can tell them "you can take a break as much as you want blabla". 

"Like we all have day jobs that we have to go no matter how we are feeling"

They are totally aware of that as both of them had regular jobs. And Jun I think at some point was just doing the dishes in a restaurant? (I am not sure of this though). The thing is when you have an audience which consists mainly of teens, it is not hard to impress or convince. For example, there are many people who are in awe of Jun's English whereas I think it is a pretty normal skill, knowing that he majored in English, is married to an American woman and is just doing Youtube as a full-time job now. You will never see someone in a Pewdiepie video saying "Hey you got some pretty good English for a Swede".  There are millions of people around the globe who speak English as a second language fluently, and it is not much of a big deal. In Scandinavian countries, a lot of people speak English like native speakers while still majoring in other fields. Where I am from, it is the same case. 

And yes, I also miss their old content a lot. They really have some good videos and the efforts put into those are very obvious (quality of the video, different types of information and entertainment, many options when it comes to subtitles, good editing, etc). But like I said before, since the audience seems to be in awe of literally anything they do, they can just produce some lazy pet content or any random vlog and it will be just fine. It's a bit disappointing because I thought they cared more about other things than just earning cash. Especially Rachel who said in some of her vlogs that she cares about conveying important messages and informing people as much as she can.