• Announcements

• Recent changes to PULL   07/07/19

Hello everyone,   As promised, we're working on some changes to improve the forum and community! So far, here are the recent changes: Negative reputation has been disabled. Upvoting remains intact. This is a trial run to deal with whiteknights brigading certain topics and salty users mass-downvoting users they disagree with. Some text formatting options have been removed. Some users like to format their posts in ways that make them harder to read or downright obnoxious. (Light colors, tiny fonts, etc), so this helps make threads more readable. If you find yourself needing post formatting because you're making a new thread, please contact a mod and we will make it happen. New threads have to be approved anyway, so you're not going to have to start out with an ugly thread. Text formatting remains available to all users who have supported us via Patreon.No more threads on "Online Personalities". We will NOT lock or remove old threads, but we won't approve new threads about people who don't have any history of drama or controversies. Some threads will be moved to the snowflake sections if applicable. Read the new topic guidelines before you make a new thread.Here are our works in progress: New categories will be added. "Little Snowflakes" is too broad of a spectrum, so we're going to sort our flakes into a few sub-sections to keep things organized. We will also make more use of tags for those flakes who transcend categories. This will also allow us to appoint moderators to specific categories or snowflakes. New moderators will be onboarded soon. 

Rachel and Jun

638 posts in this topic

Posted

do you mean "my darling is a foreigner"?

Yes! That one, thank you.

Posted

A korean store/brand called chuu is currently selling similar-ish earrings to the ones Rachel created a while ago for $11 if anyone wanted dangly sakura earrings but didn't buy Rachel's.

Posted (edited)

A korean store/brand called chuu is currently selling similar-ish earrings to the ones Rachel created a while ago for $11 if anyone wanted dangly sakura earrings but didn't buy Rachel's.

thanks for the tip, I found her jewelry pretty but in the video they looked super orange..

random but does anyone else get annoyed by the way Rachel talks? Not her voice but the way she talks sometimes— it’s hard to explain. It sounds like she’s making her voice nasally and trying to sound excited or quirky or something idk. I don’t know why she won’t just talk like a normal person 

Edited by Granola

Posted

i don't want to sound wk, but i enjoy their content. rachel makes me laugh a lot, but i do agree sometimes she seems to be exaggerating. she should do gameplays, that area really fits her.

Posted (edited)

i don't want to sound wk, but i enjoy their content. rachel makes me laugh a lot, but i do agree sometimes she seems to be exaggerating. she should do gameplays, that area really fits her.

I agree. Rachel reminds me a lot of myself in terms of that I struggle with anxiety, and I also did a long distance relationship in my early 20s and struggled with a lot of the same emotions she did during that time. I feel like I can relate to her in that way. And she's kinda goofy and awkward and nerdy, and so am I, lol. 

Out of all the J-vlogger crew I like her and Jun the most.

Edited by heckin_bork
Spelling

Posted

I find Jun's videos really relaxing, especially when he goes biking with his cats. I'm not into ASMR but I could definitely listen to his videos in the background all day. 

I like Rachel too, but sometimes her anxious/nervous energy makes me anxious. 

I'm glad they're finally moving out of that tiny apartment, they need a much bigger place for their cats. I'll miss the old kitchen (Jun accidentally ripped the paint off the wall in his latest video 😳)

Posted

This is possibly the most interesting video I have watched in months about Japan. It's so fascinating, especially when I compare it to moving companies in Germany. Everything looks so safe and protected? I'm honestly super fascinated lol

Posted

This is possibly the most interesting video I have watched in months about Japan. It's so fascinating, especially when I compare it to moving companies in Germany. Everything looks so safe and protected? I'm honestly super fascinated lol

the title throws me off a lil with the Japanese but oh my gosh!! this is such an interesting video and it blew my mind.

I like how in the video the workers explained what box the furniture go thru, the meaning of different tape colours, and how they packed each furniture. Also interesting they pack several layers to protect the furniture and that you can buy and sell furniture from them at a cheaper price too. Damnnnnnnn, couldn’t believe Japan has such an amazing moving company. Also amazing how they hired middle aged ladies to help unpack too. 

Posted

the title throws me off a lil with the Japanese but oh my gosh!! this is such an interesting video and it blew my mind.

Hidden Content

I honestly don't mind the "Japanese" part this time in the title, because it's just so different from anywhere else. I don't think any other country would have such a perfect moving service lol. The different kind of boxes? How they protected the hallway? And that they even had someone to unpack their stuff, like woah...

Posted (edited)

hey so i just watched their japanese moving company vid, and at about 4:30, one of the movers is asking, in japanese, where they want stuff to go in their new apartment... and Jun TRANSLATES FOR RACHEL????? Initially, I thought maybe Jun was translating for the sake of the video being watched by english speakers, but the way Rachel doesn't actually respond UNTIL Jun translates is really confusing.

I always thought Rachel was fluent in Japanese. I AM SO CONFUSED???

Edited by mcgsy

Posted

This video! was amazing! Poor Poki, e was scared of the strangers, while Haku wanted to make friends with everyone! 

@mcgsy maybe she can't properly understand the very formal Japanese - it sounded very formal and complicated to me (who knows zero Japanese, lol)? or she was distracted or mesmerized by how well they were doing their job (like i was)? Because at other points, she replies to the direct questions... that moment also got me a bit confused. 

Posted

i mean... to be fair, it seems like rachel doesn't really have a life of her own outside of being a couple. does she do anything without Jun? does she have friends who aren't jvloggers or other american girls married to japanese husbands? with that level of coexistence, does she even NEED to know how to speak japanese? like, she's married so she doesn't need a student visa, doesn't need to go to language school. i just always thought her being fluent in japanese was a given.

Posted

hey so i just watched their japanese moving company vid, and at about 4:30, one of the movers is asking, in japanese, where they want stuff to go in their new apartment... and Jun TRANSLATES FOR RACHEL????? Initially, I thought maybe Jun was translating for the sake of the video being watched by english speakers, but the way Rachel doesn't actually respond UNTIL Jun translates is really confusing.

I always thought Rachel was fluent in Japanese. I AM SO CONFUSED???

I mean you can hear her conversing with Jun and the movers in Japanese several times. She probably couldn't understand the accent, formality, or speed in which he was speaking.

Posted

i mean... to be fair, it seems like rachel doesn't really have a life of her own outside of being a couple. does she do anything without Jun? does she have friends who aren't jvloggers or other american girls married to japanese husbands? with that level of coexistence, does she even NEED to know how to speak japanese? like, she's married so she doesn't need a student visa, doesn't need to go to language school. i just always thought her being fluent in japanese was a given.

But she may have...? last year when Jun made birthday gifts for her, he had to wait for her to come home. i don't think he said where she was coming from, but if i remember correctly she was dressed pretty formal office style? sorta? so i assume she might have an offline job as well. well, had, now, as they moved. i also think Jun also had an offline job - if they were full time youtubers, they would make and upload more videos. (not trying to criticize you, nor am i trying to be condescending, sorry if i come across as such. i just know that not everyone can watch every video of a youtuber they like or follow, nor can they remember everything the person said or did or showed...)

i could say i'm almost bi-lingual myself, with English being my 2nd language, and i still don't understand some stuff in English (puns, movie/song references...) It's also possible that Rachel wasn't even paying attention at that moment. 

i do think her japanese is pretty good, though she seems shy to talk in japanese to the camera, unlike others -sharla, miranda, mimei... (im not discussing their japanese level, just pointing out they -seem to- feel more confident to speak in japanese in front of the camera.) 

Posted

About the friends topic, there was a video last year I think where Rachel was doing stuff with a friend of hers (albeit also a foreigner). And they said that one of the reasons they're moving is that a lot of their friends moved away.

I don't think Rachel's Japanese is bad, she's at least fluent on conversational level and maybe Jun just slipped into explanation mode because he was nervous about the whole move? It's definitely not that Rachel wouldn't have been able to understand the question. I checked that moment again and Rachel entered the room a couple seconds later into the question the moving lady was asking, so maybe he only meant to repeat what she asked. It's probably also playing into it that they were talking English for the camera/viewers, but had to switch forth and back to Japanese for the workers, so I really wouldn't think too much of it.