Rachel and Jun

343 posts in this topic

Posted

Rachel & Jun

Youtube // Twitter // Blogspot // Facebook // Instagram // Patreon  

Image result for rachel and jun

Hey guys I've been wanting to make this thread for awhile now, truth be told I don't know much about Rachel and Jun and I wouldn't mind knowing more about them they've been mentioned a bunch in other jvloggers topics and when I searched for them they didn't have their own thread.

What do you guys think of them? I'm a fan of Jun's cooking show but other than that I'm not much interested in their vlogging videos, I think I'm a bit over constantly seeing videos titled "IN JAPAN" by Youtubers, "brushing my teeth IN JAPAN" "Going to the bathroom IN JAPAN" argh

They have been controversial with the Angry Asian Girls United and Reclaiming Asia tumblrs. Rachel has also been called out for having yellow fever because of her comments in the "In Defense of Weaboos" video.

“Most people who are attracted to Asians like them because of their looks, though.  I grew up in the middle of the weeaboo crowd who were attracted to Asian men and women, and it was all physical.  I love Jun with all my heart & I would love him no matter how he looked, but the fact that he’s so exotically different from me pretty much makes him irresistible.  We’re biologically wired to find "exotic” people attractive since it gives our children a better spread of gene combinations.Even just a foreign accent tends to get people hot & bothered.“

-Rachel from her "In Defense of Weaboos" video

I'm actually a bit nervous about starting this thread, it seems like every time they come up with drama Rachel rushes in and comments (she commented in the Texan in Tokyo thread when people was wondering about possibly them being fishy with their Patreon) fair enough they are allowed to defend themselves but it's still a bit awkward that jvloggers follow these threads so much.

Posted

Jun's cooking videos give me life :alpacacrush:

Posted (edited)

giphy.gif
a protection spell from the jvlogging deities, and not sure if this thread will last.

IMHO: These people are the Taylor Swift of the jvlogging community! They have better PR control then Angelina Jolie.

Only controversial stuff they have is this stuff I found here: and I believe I posted before in the common jvlogging thread.
Reclaiming Asia tumblr
AngryAsiangirlsunited

has yellow fever:
“Most people who are attracted to Asians like them because of their looks, though.I grew up in the middle of the weeaboo crowd who were attracted to Asian men and women, and it was all physical.I love Jun with all my heart & I would love him no matter how he looked, but the fact that he’s so exotically different from me pretty much makes him irresistible. We’re biologically wired to find "exotic” people attractive since it gives our children a better spread of gene combinations.Even just a foreign accent tends to get people hot & bothered.“
As a psych major..Ima call BS on
we go for opposites(My spouse may not physically resemble my dad but persona wise...they the SAME!)

I didn't watch the videos(well I peeped the weaboo video for 30secs) but these two sites I linked are not inclined to lie about issues such as these.

There's also a comment about her on lolcow in regards to the whole Weaboo jvlogger scandal with Mira and her denying sponsorship for these clothes she used.
And an anon saying Rachel&Jun took credit for her work, but even though it irked them they didn't want their names out in public anyways so it's like a *annoyed but not annoyed* issue.

other than that, and I do deem the controversial stuff touchable territory, I guess they aren't touchable.

*shrugs*

oh yeah, and new nose (not my body, so don't care)

+people noted, and not just here*sorry I can't scower every forum known to man to point it out, but someone on 2ch mentioned it too*, that it seems Rachel talks over Jun/*Runs the show a lot and he hardly speaks. Jun persona could just very well be  the listening type, but her over talking over other people has been shown with other vloggers as well *Go to the Sharla thread, I think it was mentioned in their recent video together*

That's it. (I like cats so if they can just dedicate a channel to her cat and jun's food..that'd be great)

Edited by yourfavoritevillagetruther
Forgot this wonderful gem right here.

Posted

i dont dislike them thats for sure. but the only interesting thing in their videos is their cat haku. i adore that cat. apart from that they are quite boring. they had a bunch of sponsored traveling videos which i didnt like. it was just not interesting for me. :alpacaheadshake: but jun's cooking channel is really great.

also, rachel's posed pictures on instagram are just pure cringe for me.

Posted (edited)

I saw some videos from this channel and thought to myself, 'they're painting Japan in an unrealistic light blah blah' then I saw that they do advertisements for language and travel related apps and things and realized that they're meant to 'sell Japan' (promote tourism mostly) to you in a way really and don't have a lot of room for some honest opinions, negativity, or criticism. I give them kudos for being professional and trying their best to be respectful and respectable.

I don't like AngryAsians at all and I actually did like the 'Defending Weeaboos' video too for the most part. I honestly think Weebs only become problematic once they start acting like or serving as an authority figure on 'what is Japanese' while being pretentious and incorrect about some things for an audience that believes them, or if one fakes Japanese heritage/ancestry or pulls a Mira basically.

I also think that sometimes people have racial preferences and if their romantic partner has no problem with it or feels the same way, then it shouldn't be a concern to an outside party.

Edited by kksd649

Posted

I like their interview videos a lot, I think it's a good thing that they actually go out of their way to interview people of their subject to get real experiences/stories/opinions

I think Rachel and Jun are pretty normal and I respect the fact they take their jvlogging seriously and try to keep their videos high quality

Posted (edited)

I get a fakey vibe from them, especially Rachel. I think Jun is too good for her (as in, he comes off like he could be with someone more intelligent, but probably has as much "mystical white girl" fever as Rachel has yellow fever). 

The interviews...if you like 'em, you like 'em. Honestly I felt they weren't really interested in how Black people are treated in Japan, they just wanted to come off as compassionate. 

And the weeaboo video was problematic...and fake compassionate as well.

Edited by nicotine

Posted

I do agree that their videos (especially the more recent ones) are about "selling" Japan and I guess it's just personal taste but I like their videos now lol (I used to be subscribed to about 10 Jvloggers and now R&J and Chris remain lol) But I only watch videos on locations because i'm more interested on finding places to travel to in the future. Also, Jun's videos are always A+ I love the fact he has his utensils in the description, he's giving me future kitchen goals :alpacalove:

I definitely agree about the fakeness relating to the weeaboo video, i'm sure like 80%+ of a jvloggers fanbase are comprised of current/former weebs but I feel like it's ok as long as she encourages them to actually take a moment and thing about the culture they're putting on a pedestal, yeah some won't do it (might be lack of interest, empathy, or just flat out laziness) but as a former weeb (that's debatable on who you ask lmao) I get being so passive around them.

Huh, I never thought about Rachel's persona maybe being a result of some kind of anxiety, it makes a lot of sense actually. I'm well aware I can become really fake when trying to be social to strangers or someone I want to impress.

Posted

About their Black in Japan video, I'd rather just watch the videos created by black jvloggers on the topic.

Posted (edited)

Good info, Truther.  

The "Weeboo" video was controversial. 

I don't like charging $50 for a postcard on their patreon. 

It feels like milking.

Abroad in Japan is how you do a patreon and it shows (the guys at like $3600 per month now).  You get a lot for it. 

I'm not a fan of Rachel. Jun is pretty cool. 

Edited by All Over The World

Posted

I saw some videos from this channel and thought to myself, 'they're painting Japan in an unrealistic light blah blah' then I saw that they do advertisements for language and travel related apps and things and realized that they're meant to 'sell Japan' (promote tourism mostly) to you in a way really and don't have a lot of room for some honest opinions, negativity, or criticism. I give them kudos for being professional and trying their best to be respectful and respectable.

I don't like AngryAsians at all and I actually did like the 'Defending Weeaboos' video too for the most part. I honestly think Weebs only become problematic once they start acting like or serving as an authority figure on 'what is Japanese' while being pretentious and incorrect about some things for an audience that believes them, or if one fakes Japanese heritage/ancestry or pulls a Mira basically.

I also think that sometimes people have racial preferences and if their romantic partner has no problem with it or feels the same way, then it shouldn't be a concern to an outside party.

Dismissive much?

Im not going to touch upon why you didn't like Angryasiangirlsunited, and I think Yumi who was included in the links provided did specify why weaboos are harmful.
Rachel is entitled to her opinions, just as you, but to dismiss others  who are actually offended by this video cause of the experiences they had and effects them greatly isn't right.

But regardless of how you feel on the video, I will touch upon how you justify  racial preference isn't a problem when it clearly is!
Racial preference in general whether it be work related or life related is harmful in general, but lets touch upon the dating aspect of it:

First up, there's an article thats been making its way around the internet from a playboy girl bunny saying she only dates Asian Men.

Why is this an accomplishment? Why is this news? Oh I know, cause a Western Woman finds an East Asian man attractive when Western society says they aren't! Thank you Western Woman for validating if East Asian men are hot or not!!
Your Yellow fever has opened the doors to other yellow fever followers!

Which brings me to ask you
Read Rachel's  comment again, and tell me that isn't problematic?
Who describes their loved one as EXOTICAL?.Exotical is how I would describe my Savannah cat, NOT A PERSON!  So that's why Jun is Irresistible!? Cause he's East Asian? Not because he has other personality traits that make him a good catch?!
I don't describe my spouse that way or vice versa, and technically their relationship is  our business since she put their relationship out there!
So she finds Asians, wait lemme correct  her, EAST ASIAN people attractive when their traits are not confined to East Asian people alone! Technically speaking, she should of then found a Khoisan tribesman attractive or even a Sami person, or ANYONE, but no....she found East Asian men the most attractive due to what?
Past weabooism perhaps!?
Now I admit, I was an otaku (and sort of still am even though I am very critical of anime now a days), and yeah, this did make me get into Japanese culture. But the thing  is, I was always attracted to guys regardless of their race, as long as they were cute by my standards, I was into them! So I was crushing hard on Steve Urkel and Dante basco at the same time! And before I met my husband I was involved with a half black/half south asian guy(He was Guyanese) but pretty much dated people from the Caribbean like myself.
So Rachel just admitting that she has a preference based on stereotypical looks associated with East Asians. Not differing other East Asians, but seeing them as a collective whole. Which means, any East  Asian man would've been a good husband for her, not just Jun.
I'd be very upset if my spouse admitted to me that he felt this way because it would make me feel like any black girl would've suited his needs when there is so much more to me than my physical attributes.

I like to be valued as a person, not some accessory prop.

Sorry if my response is harsh or a bit rude, but I have Trump or Hillary to welcome as my new president and I'm still grasping straws to get to Canada...
Race is very tense right now...for EVERYBODY...so when you bring up Racial Preference, it affects me...a lot!

About their Black in Japan video, I'd rather just watch the videos created by black jvloggers on the topic.

Same..it was a genuine video but ugh, whatever it wasn't brand new info.

Good info, Truther.  

The "Weeboo" video was controversial. 

I don't like charging $50 for a postcard on their patreon. 

It feels like milking.

Abroad in Japan is how you do a patreon and it shows (the guys at like $3600 per month now).  You get a lot for it. 

I'm not a fan of Rachel. Jun is pretty cool. 

Thanks, but seemingly ignored or dismissed . Yet if Grace said it..it'd be scrutinized heavily :notimp:
Im surprised everyone is Team Jun here!! Jun can do better than rachel?!

tumblr_m0hn7g7Vpg1rqfhi2o1_400.gif
TBH: I think they go great together....there's someone for everyone, so let them stay together forever.

Its okay, protection candle is running low..she prob gonna pop up and come for us all

Posted

I don't get the hype over that 'documentary'. Not for any weird social reason or anything (because thats not something I ever get into), but because it wasn't even made well? I remember them hyping it up like "omg guys we are doing this big project and its taken so long and we can't wait to show it to the world~!!!!!". And then it was released and I was just sort of...disappointed tbh. Maybe because I'm such a documentary junkie (Netflix's documentary genre is :alpacalove:) so I'm kind of smug about it, but why does everybody call it an effing documentary when it's just vlogs pasted together. Not even good quality vlogs. I mean I know not everybody they interviewed is going to have the latest HD equipment, but it could have been done SO much better.

Warning: Kind of shallow rant below dont hate:ph34r:

I want to teach Rachel HOW to shop for clothes. She seems like she just goes to the Recycle clothes stores and just gets everything she likes, so she ends up with these really mismatched pieces. Or she pairs weird things together like ripped leggings and stilettos or semi-office attire with childish cat stockings. And some of her pieces are kind of outdated. There I said it (I know its shallow). She dresses like it's still 2010 sometimes (bringing up dem ripped leggings and stilettos gurl) and it kind of bugs me because she would look SO FREAKING CUTE in some of the trendy things right now like some ripped bf jeans or something. She doesn't have to go full Taylor R. or Sharla and dress like an overgrown toddler, but she doesn't have to dress like an OL who raided her daughters stocking drawer either. RACHEL I KNOW YOU ARE LURKING, LET ME TAKE YOU SHOPPING. H&M CAN BE CHEAP TOO I PROMISE.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, but seemingly ignored or dismissed . Yet if Grace said it..it'd be scrutinized heavily :notimp:
Im surprised everyone is Team Jun here!! Jun can do better than rachel?!

@yourfavoritevillagetruther

TNT has a more established thread. Her thread was the same at the start. Same for Sharla. 

Who knows what people will feel if this thread grows? 

I haven't how I feel about RUN. 

And I didn't mean Jun could do better than Rachel. I only meant I liked his work in videos better. 

Edited by All Over The World

Posted

hmm so die young enough to be a hero or live long enough to become a villain mantra.

I gotcha. Welp, it took Taylor Swift like..6 years for the internet to semi turn on her, this should be interesting to see =)

2016 isn't over yet 

200.gif