Giving Back to PULL

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys!

Recently, we've had a HUGE surge of members! And we're still growing pretty quickly.

Firstly, I want to extend a warm welcome to all of our new members and thank everyone who's stuck with us through our transition. I'm so grateful I get to be part of such a welcoming community.

Some of you may have noticed that the site has been a bit slower and goes down on occasion. In order to better serve all of you, I have decided to upgrade the server. As you may have noticed, PULL has absolutely no ads--I intend to keep it that way. They are unsightly and I want the user experience to be as seamless as possible. Thus, we bring no money in. I was funding the previous server out of pocket. However, since a server upgrade will cost quite a bit more than the previous server, I'd like to ask for the community's help in the form of giving to the site. 

The new server will cost $25/month and any money donated in excess of that will go to further upgrades, maintaining the community, and will also pay for the time I spend administrating. I am using Patreon as a platform, since many are familiar with it. I have set up some rewards for different giving levels. I am trying to think of more possible rewards; do let me know if you have any ideas! The link to our Patreon is here:

https://www.patreon.com/PULL

Our GoFundMe is here:

https://www.gofundme.com/pulldonate

On GoFundMe, the giving levels are $6 for a custom rank. and $10, for a custom rank and name color. 

For those who prefer to use Bitcoin, our address is:

13t3bkW4Zgf2FSdtJHNyJRPnFpBRAMXpyJ

After you've contributed, please send me a PM with the email you used on Patreon, your desired rank name, and, if applicable, color code. You can select color codes at http://paletton.com. It should look like #ff0000. Please don't choose a rank name or color that might make users confuse you with staff. I may ask you to pick another rank if I think it'll be disruptive.

For less than a cup of coffee or a Netflix subscription, you can help keep PULL afloat. I want to stress that it's not the size of the contribution that matters--if 25 people give a dollar every month, we can have a nice new server. With more people giving, I can spend more time on the site. 

I hope I can count on the support of my members. Thanks so much to everyone for continuing to make PULL what it is!

Thank you! 

- Nyx

Posted

2c394c8cfc98d4696423bfabe89e9de6.thumb.p

....Really? :/ I understand funding the server, but this is just...wow lol.

Posted

2c394c8cfc98d4696423bfabe89e9de6.thumb.p

....Really? :/ I understand funding the server, but this is just...wow lol.

It was already covered in the chat that it's a joke. I suppose since Nyx is kind of an anonymous face behind the forum, most users haven't had the time to chat with her and realize she is hilarious and often utilizes sarcasm.

Nyx has no plans on selling PULL as she adores the website and is paying out of her own pocket to preserve it. Even I am donating $10 a month to support us upgrading the server. Debora's thread brought in a lot of new traffic and it seems every time we get around 1,000 users on at a time the website slows and sometimes goes down. So it is clear we needed the upgrade.

This is Nyx's way of asking if users want to help, giving them a way to do so, and offering a reward that is fun and doesn't affect the website, (In this case it is custom rankings and colors.)

I appreciate the amount of concern, especially since lolcow took this seriously too. The small number of PULL members that migrated to them came to this site fairly quickly and came into our chatbox to give us their opinions, under the assumption the admin promotion was serious. It lets us know that even our migrated members still care about PULL. :alpacacrush:

So TL;DR -

Nyx uses sarcasm as humor. Of course she will not allow anyone to take over PULL / be promoted to admin. She loves us all and the work that everyone does here. She isn't looking for a sugar daddy / sugar mommy. If some idiot does pledge 2G a month she can reverse the pledge. 

Posted

@BonBonChucked    

@Nyx

Mmm, there is no way for "one time" payments ? it has to be monthly ? Don't get me wrong, I love this site but if it becomes like my cellphone where I have a monthly bill/charging for it .. it takes away some of the joy..  

Perhaps make it so people could even just do a one time donation without having a monthly billing. Usually I would be alright with the idea, but as of lately I've been intensely saving for huge medical expenses that i've put off for to long. Monthly wont work for me for the time being, but I could do a possible one time donation.

( Though if I misunderstood things then lemme know ) 

Posted (edited)

Maybe create a GoFund me? The thought of monthly payment can scare people or just be ^ difficult for people, so a one time donation could be a great idea! With a one time donation i bet alot more people will be able to join!

Edited by Lotto
typos

Posted

@Lotto @AppleCrumble It seems as if you are on the same page as the staff, haha. :alpacacrush: We are working on setting up a way to make one time payments. The idea came up in the staff chat after Nyx created the announcement. We want to find a perfectly private way for people to donate. Safety and privacy is the utmost importance to us, so we are trying to find anonymous services to donate. (In short, places that won't display your address as what is done if you use Paypal via most services.) We have drafted a few ideas behind the scenes. As of this moment, we are using patreon which only has a monthly payment option. 

I will say, just to play devil's advocate for the monthly donations, Netflix is a source of entertainment and it costs $9.99 a month. If you spend a good amount of time on PULL site and tend to use it daily, spending even $1 a month seems reasonable. So think about any subscription boxes you have, streaming services, and other sources of entertainment and joy in your life. If you can spare $10-$20 bucks a month on those, and still want to donate to PULL, consider a monthly payment even if it's a small amount.

Posted (edited)

ah ok!!! i so badly wish i could donate but sadly i cant  :(I hope this gets solved and some kind souls donates enough!!<3

If there was a one time payment i do believe i could maybe donate that one time!! I trust that you mods figure something out<3

Edited by Lotto
typos

Posted (edited)

Luckily @Nyx can afford the $25 a month (but that is $300 a year) but if our web traffic keeps growing at the same rate we may need to upgrade again sooner than we planned. I know @Nami has pitched in $5 a month, I pitched in $10, and hopefully more people add a dollar or two here and there. I will see if I can figure out a one time payment option sometime today.

Donations are NEVER required. We sincerely appreciate those who go out of their way to support the site. Sadly the custom names and colors were the only things we could come up with for donators. Honestly, if anyone can think of any suggestions we are happy to see what we can do with them! :alpacacrush:

Edited by BonBonChucked

Posted

If I think of anything, I might put it here but I may as well mention that I probably back this at the 1st of October and probably the first Paetron I have ever supported.

Honestly, I love the $2,000 tier one, seems like something a snowflake would do (like Jnigs) that really made my day.

Posted

What about $50 for a postcard?  

Seems like a lot of the vloggers think that's reasonable.  :/  

Kidding aside, I think a one time donation might be a good idea.   

Posted

Sorry to be that guy...but will there be any "receipts" so that (future) funders can see what the money is spent on?

Posted

Sorry to be that guy...but will there be any "receipts" so that (future) funders can see what the money is spent on?

Well with new servers you can see that when we get 1000+ people online at once (especially when new information hits Debora's thread) the site won't slow or crash anymore. Still, I will bring up the idea in the staff chat. Is there anything you would consider being proof enough for a "receipt"?

Posted

Well with new servers you can see that when we get 1000+ people online at once (especially when new information hits Debora's thread) the site won't slow or crash anymore. Still, I will bring up the idea in the staff chat. Is there anything you would consider being proof enough for a "receipt"?

Providing receipts for intangible objects can be very hard, but that also means it's hard for members to spot any of the changes being made "behind the scenes" so to speak. I guess what I'm requesting is as much transparency as possible when it comes to how the money was spent and why. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Nyx was upfront about this in the original post, but I think a lot of people would feel more at ease if they could literally see where their money is going. As long as it doesn't compromise the forums safety or anyone's identity outside of PULL of course.

Posted

Providing receipts for intangible objects can be very hard, but that also means it's hard for members to spot any of the changes being made "behind the scenes" so to speak. I guess what I'm requesting is as much transparency as possible when it comes to how the money was spent and why. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Nyx was upfront about this in the original post, but I think a lot of people would feel more at ease if they could literally see where their money is going. As long as it doesn't compromise the forums safety or anyone's identity outside of PULL of course.

In short: Yep. I plan on being completely transparent. Thanks!