• Announcements

• Snowflake Banner Poll!   02/17/17

Hello everyone! Please pick your three favorite snowflakes to be put in the new banner. Thanks a lot!   

Reputation Feedback

36 posts in this topic

Posted

PULL's reputation system is actually quite useful for determining the veracity of the source of information and even help identify sock-puppet accounts & trolls.  Those with a higher reputation appear more "trust-worthy", so the information/content of a member with higher reputation points are viewed with greater regard & seriousness.  The source of the problem of "reputation point inflation" comes from how some members perceive the voting system in PULL. Some users would upvote for the sake of agreeing to a post, while others downvote just to disagree; IMHO these shouldn't be so. This is my particular system with regards to voting in the PULL forums:   

• I Upvote a post I find useful/helpful; those with contents/ideas I want to save/pass along to others.  
  • I Downvote a post I find useless/nonsense; those with contents/ideas I DON'T want to save/pass along to others.  

If I agree with a post, I simply respond with agreement. If I don't agree, then I respond likewise but with civility.  If we really are a truth-seeking forum, then we should vote for quality content that can be passed along. I don't mind if someone else "steals" the images/content that I created/posted and even reposts them, having contributed is sufficient enough as credit for me.  After all, truthful content is what really matters. 

In my opinion this doesnt 'feel' any different. I would still up- and downvote the same posts with your interpretation. 

also...let's be honest, not everyone reads rules, guidelines and so on, so there still would be (a lot?) to misconfuse it and then we would even have two different kinds of mindsets of how people vote. 

actually I found it quite useful because it drew my attention to users with high rep and i was attentive about posts from users with negative rep. I kinda can understand it though. And yes, some people took it waaaaaaay to serious, as if downvoting meant not liking another user or as a punishments whatsoever. 

I kinda still want it back. :darth: 

Posted

Okay... SO this is a long shot, but I'ma try it anyways 

Screen_Shot_2016-09-19_at_8.55.30_PM.thu    Screen_Shot_2016-09-19_at_8.59.35_PM.thu

Please please please can I have a fancy title name too ? I will trade my wings for the title "dingleBerry" ! 

:melting: @Biscuit                                        @BonBonChucked     

Posted

Okay... SO this is a long shot, but I'ma try it anyways 

Screen_Shot_2016-09-19_at_8.55.30_PM.thu    Screen_Shot_2016-09-19_at_8.59.35_PM.thu

Please please please can I have a fancy title name too ? I will trade my wings for the title "dingleBerry" ! 

:melting: @Biscuit                                        @BonBonChucked     

You can get it by pledging on patreon or bitcoin. See the announcement here https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/announcement/11-upgrades-donations/

Posted

"...And yes, some people took it waaaaaaay to serious, as if downvoting meant not liking another user or as a punishments whatsoever. 

I kinda still want it back. :darth: " 

LOL. Yes there are people who get offended when their post gets down-voted for fear of losing their reputation points (I'll refer to it as 'REP POINTS' or 'R.P.' from here on) :hurrplz:  -- these points has no real meaning IRL, only within the confines of a semi-anonymous message board.  But if one doesn't take the R.P.s seriously, then why have it back on display? For what purpose are we even up-voting and down-voting a post?  For what purpose are we even quantifying & tallying the up/down-votes?  So then, are we simply up-voting for simply agreeing to a post or down-voting because we don't agree with the post? If the up-votes are for "liking" (while the down-votes are "not liking"), then we might as well move the entire P.U.L.L. to Reddit as a sub-Reddit, where each user can collect their karma internet points, an implicit measurement of their likability as a user on the site.  Doing so can also save our Admin and Mods a lot of work from maintaining servers, filtering spams, etc.  

But in Reddit, the points has no in-site trade-able value and karma points is not a true measure of online post "reputation".  If I'm desperate for Reddit Karma Internet points, I can simply just post a NSFW pic of my bare tatas in one of the NSFW Sub-Reddits and within less than an hour I would have garnered hundreds of meaningless karma points, maybe even thousands if I time my post correctly at certain hours of the day.  Plus, Reddit is also prone to influence from hired sock puppet accounts and there is even a certain country in Asia that downvotes bad publicity about them on the site using their 50-cent "internet army".  So if you even want to promote a video on Reddit, you can even buy a illegal upvotes from some Romanian IT company and they have legions of sock puppets to promote your video to the front page, which is actually quite useful if you want to seed the popularity of your Youtube video & channel.  Imagine if one of our snowflakes having access to large sums of money, imagine what happens to the posts.  What happens then to the truths that we want to expose?

From my own understanding, the R.P. in P.U.L.L. is just a rudimentary gauge for a user's trust-worthiness of their post. It's just that:  a rudimentary gauge, not a complete representation.  If it is for reputation, then the votes must be reserved only to reflect the quality of the post and that is why I vote the way I do, as I explained before.  I may not like what a user has posted and/or even personally like a user, BUT if the content is worth saving, I upvote.  The content is what matters.

If it is decided then that the R.P. goes away, then we might as well eliminate the post up-votes and down-votes, likewise the "cakes" that reflects "seniority" or their long-term extensive presence & participation in the board.  With all these quantifiers gone, we are only left with just user names to identify our post, like a typical message board & "trip names" similar to the old 4ch /cgl/.  I wonder if there are other boards that's similar to /cgl/... ;D 

P.S. To the Readers:  You are always free to down-vote this post, if you don't "like" it ;-)  

:alpacawink:

Posted

I think the reputation puts everyone in a gang/hivemind mentality and its hard to express different opinions. 

Posted

It looks so empty.

I like the idea of not having post count/reputation (it creates an unnecessary popularity contest) but maybe we can have customizable taglines or something under our profile pics? Something small ofc...

It was always a feature I liked on other forums. KF is limited to a certain number of characters so it doesn't get too big.

GTNeXc1.png 74qqEtg.png nVn2fot.png BUUSkIv.png

I also am on a forum where you can change your mood and the mood displays under you avatar (there are like 40 different moods, like happy, hyped, depressed, ect.) each with a little banner. This one seems a bit more pointless than the tag lines, but might help fill the space. The tiny avatars with large expansions of white just look weird to me :/ 

Posted

You can get it by pledging on patreon or bitcoin. See the announcement here https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/announcement/11-upgrades-donations/

It looks so empty.

I like the idea of not having post count/reputation (it creates an unnecessary popularity contest) but maybe we can have customizable taglines or something under our profile pics? Something small ofc...

It was always a feature I liked on other forums. KF is limited to a certain number of characters so it doesn't get too big.

GTNeXc1.png 74qqEtg.png nVn2fot.png BUUSkIv.png

I also am on a forum where you can change your mood and the mood displays under you avatar (there are like 40 different moods, like happy, hyped, depressed, ect.) each with a little banner. This one seems a bit more pointless than the tag lines, but might help fill the space. The tiny avatars with large expansions of white just look weird to me :/ 

If you look at the post of Biscuit's I quoted, you can get customizable taglines under your username. Since it's something that doesn't add to the quality of the forum or it's content we made it an optional feature for people who would like to support PULL. 

Personally, I think moods would clutter the forum but the suggestion will be added to the list.

Posted

If you look at the post of Biscuit's I quoted, you can get customizable taglines under your username. Since it's something that doesn't add to the quality of the forum or it's content we made it an optional feature for people who would like to support PULL. 

Personally, I think moods would clutter the forum but the suggestion will be added to the list.

And popularity contests of reputation add to.the quality? It just turns eveyone into mindless followers.

Posted

And popularity contests of reputation add to.the quality? It just turns eveyone into mindless followers.

You're new. It's never been a popularity contest. Anyone who doesn't comprehend the purpose of reputation and takes it seriously probably doesn't belong on the site. Most people, especially those who have been here awhile understand what it's for. Just sayin.

Posted

They could maybe put the "Joined Date" below the DP with the stars/crowns/turds aswell ? So people have a general idea of rep and when people joined ? 

Idk, just an idea. 

this 

Posted (edited)

You're new. It's never been a popularity contest. Anyone who doesn't comprehend the purpose of reputation and takes it seriously probably doesn't belong on the site. Most people, especially those who have been here awhile understand what it's for. Just sayin.

What is it for then? Nice way to treat new users btw I'm not even new otherwise I wouldn't have had time to observe. I don't know how it was intended to be used but seems like people just become afraid to say their opinions and everyone ends up kissing eachothers asses for likes and fear of being downvoted. Is it there to vote down and silence unpopular opinions or is it there to help the site?

And why wouldn't someone take it seriously? It affects you account when it shouldn't.  Just sayin.

Edited by pikarin

Posted (edited)

^ agree i am actually an old member from PULL i joined back in 2012 or somewhere around that time,i was just a lurker in fact i am sure a lot more people never made an account until an year or two later like in my case and i used PULL just to keep myself up to whats going on,so even tho now i do have an account which was made when this new server was created i really didnt comment much, which makes me a debutant but i really dont mind about that,but yea..i know that there is people who would like to have a nicer title and i understand it fully..it just takes time 

Also if you guys don't mind here is some of my ideas:

1. I Think that in my view adjusting the tittles / name / and the little boxes could be moved to the bottom 
  2. Maybe you guys could just remake the names of post count

Example: 50 posts right now is named debutant (please correct me if i am wrong) 

New tittle: maybe something more appealing fun or cute as mentioned above

Edited by Miyu

Posted

^ agree i am actually an old member from PULL i joined back in 2012 or somewhere around that time,i was just a lurker in fact i am sure a lot more people never made an account until an year or two later like in my case and i used PULL just to keep myself up to whats going on,so even tho now i do have an account which was made when this new server was created i really didnt comment much, which makes me a debutant but i really dont mind about that,but yea..i know that there is people who would like to have a nicer title and i understand it fully..it just takes time 

Also if you guys don't mind here is some of my ideas:

1. I Think that in my view adjusting the tittles / name / and the little boxes could be moved to the bottom 
  2. Maybe you guys could just remake the names of post count

Example: 50 posts right now is named debutant (please correct me if i am wrong) 

New tittle: maybe something more appealing fun or cute as mentioned above

Any fun or cute tittle suggestions?

Posted

Maybe we can try moving the position of debutant (or the custom title for patreon pledgers) and the pink cake thingy under the profile picture so it doesn't look too empty? And as the other users have suggested, adding a joined date or mood can help fill up the empty space as well.

Just a thought xD

Just a Thought.jpg