• Announcements

• Artists Wanted! (New Banner!!)   01/08/17

Hi everyone! With the new year, we want to continue to make some changes to the site. Firstly, we'd like to make a new banner! Artists who are interested in contributing, please get in touch with me with some samples of your work.  Thanks so much!

Reputation Feedback

36 posts in this topic

Posted

I think the reputation is not needed and definitely not a sign of an user being trustworthy or not. In a lot of threads you can find posts without any real value to the topic with a really high reputation, just because the user who made the post is/was popular. Other way around you can also find many posts getting negative reputation because of an unpopular opinion by an unpopular user.

As far as I'm concerned the reputation system could be deleted entirely. :alpacawink:

Posted

Thank you for addressing this.

I'm for hiding the rep and showing the post count. This is my view on it:

Reputation: People started taking reputation way to serious. It's good to still have it showing on the post so that by skimming through a thread you'll notice at a glance which are the important posts to read. I like reputation for that and that only. I know I am one of the people who has a relatively low post count compared to my rep (or had before some dozens of downvotes in the Venus section :haiplz:), but I'm all for hiding it.

Post count: I am most active in the Taylor section where we always have some new members showing up, some WKing, some just curious, having googled about Taylor's surgeries and stumbled upon PULL. The post count makes it fairly easy to spot them and give them some advise how to get around, how things are handled on PULL and just giving them some slack for posting in wrong topics etc. For this you don't need the relation of reputation compared to the post count, but the post count in relation to the post.

Posted

I can't say I really enjoy it, but I'm not sure if it's because it just looks so empty now. 

First, I'll say this: There isn't really a post count war. Keeping it there or removing it won't really make much of a difference, but it can be helpful for deciphering new posters at a glance, as we all know a common sign of a selfposter is having only one post, and that's a thread on someone. 

I think it's a useful feature personally.

As for reputation... Yes, it's true people with a large positive reputation can make stupid or incorrect posts, including myself. But honestly, if people rely on total reputation of the poster alone to decide whether the post is crap or not... Well, nothing is going to stop them from going with the flow. Instead of looking at the reputation, they're going to read the replies to the post and copy what everyone else thinks in that way instead.

I think reputation is useful when it comes to easily spotting a shitposter. I don't always want to click on their profile to check this out, since some shitposters seem to get a huge ego boost from seeing that people looked at their profile. 

Posted

Most new posters that I've encountered always 99% of the time immediately announce that they are new... 

" Hi, I'm new here and this is my thoughts on the current subject" 

Kinda hard not to tell that person is new... When they stated it... 

If they don't state their new ( which dear new members, its not a requirement to do ) it really isn't that hard to hover the mouth over their Display picture and see : 

Screen_Shot_2016-09-16_at_12.45.13_PM.th 

Takes literally 5 seconds to check my fellow Membs !

I am loving the sight of new commenters in the Taylor section ! Non of them are really "White Knights" and some seemed like lurkers that have grown the courage to comment now that it doesn't seem like a rigged system where only high post-content/rank is viewed as the only opinion/content that matters. Besides people are bound to clash on topics/opinions and thats fine, this isn't a hive-mind site where everyone is required to agree and think alike. 

Besides, no matter what we do we'll always have the occasional whit knight or spammer or shit poster... Getting rid of something or adding it back won't really change that. ( Though there won't be as much bickering about being down voted or in the negative ) 

Posted

I think if rep count is done away with than post should go as well.  I think they don't work without each other.  

I'm more ambivalent now on whether to keep them.  I wouldn't be opposed to either way.  

The only thing I really want back is my little King Koopa crown I got from a 1000 rep.  I love that thing.  And it won't intimidate people.  Most probably won't even notice it's not the star.  

Posted

Yeah I don't mind the numbers going away, but if we are going to keep the little cakes (is it cake? idk) and wings to represent post count I think we should keep the stars and crowns for rep. Just so it doesn't seem so empty and kind of gives people a general idea of a poster's standing. 

Posted

I just wish profile felt less empty. Perhaps move the rank images (those weird squares) under the avatar? :)

Posted

They could maybe put the "Joined Date" below the DP with the stars/crowns/turds aswell ? So people have a general idea of rep and when people joined ? 

Idk, just an idea. 

Posted

I like the reputation ;-; it was my goal to get more reputation than post count. It looks empty otherwise. I mean I get why you removed it I suppose? But I don't agree with it.

Posted

I think that losing the reputation will do good things for this forum. People were getting way too butthurt over downvotes, that shouldn't matter as much now.

I feel like some sections of pull have suffered a little bit from "mob mentality" and I think the reputation was mostly to blame for that. I hope that this will help people just speak their own minds and that people will stop being afraid of disagreeing with the majority.. :lamaheadshake:

Posted

I'm quite neutral on the subject. There's benefits to both having it displayed and having it removed. Maybe have a poll, majority wins type deal?  

Posted (edited)

PULL's reputation system is actually quite useful for determining the veracity of the source of information and even help identify sock-puppet accounts & trolls.  Those with a higher reputation appear more "trust-worthy", so the information/content of a member with higher reputation points are viewed with greater regard & seriousness.  The source of the problem of "reputation point inflation" comes from how some members perceive the voting system in PULL. Some users would upvote for the sake of agreeing to a post, while others downvote just to disagree; IMHO these shouldn't be so. This is my particular system with regards to voting in the PULL forums:   

• I Upvote a post I find useful/helpful; those with contents/ideas I want to save/pass along to others.  
  • I Downvote a post I find useless/nonsense; those with contents/ideas I DON'T want to save/pass along to others.  

If I agree with a post, I simply respond with agreement. If I don't agree, then I respond likewise but with civility.  If we really are a truth-seeking forum, then we should vote for quality content that can be passed along. I don't mind if someone else "steals" the images/content that I created/posted and even reposts them, having contributed is sufficient enough as credit for me.  After all, truthful content is what really matters. 

Edited by Duck-Otter-Roast
I'm a dumbbitch cause I wrote "...regarded with greater regard..." WTH. Error 404. English cohesion not found.

Posted

I'm on the fence with the reputation thing, but I think that having a post count helps weed out self-posters with very little post counts. Although you can check it just by hovering your mouse over the profile icon in desktop mode, its a bit more troublesome to check when you're on mobile. I think that if you're gonna promote PULL as a place that does its own research, we shouldn't be too worried about people being easily swayed by post counts and reputation.