• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

We need more ROOSTERS .... for this hen house ..

55 posts in this topic

Posted

Making the report button bigger in theory is a nice idea but when we make the scale bigger we have to deal with the post format being throw off and ruining how it looks across all monitor sizes. Moving the button entirely is an even bigger mess. As of now all hyperlinks (aside from those in post) are the same color. We might be able to play around with the color.

I like the idea of having checkboxes so I will bring it up with Nyx to see if it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. So far the recent suggestions are coding suggestions which are only accessible on Nyx's end.

Posted

I want to give a nice example why the rep system is useful. Why the downvotes are useful.

CASE 1 : Say, X has a strong opinion about something. A negative opinion which you don't agree on. Without the rep system your only way of expressing that you disagree is by starting a discussion. Now there are 10 people starting a debate about this opinion. Everyone is mostly making the same point. Because you want to show that you disagree, and since the rep system is gone you can not upvote the first disagree post you agree with. Now X feels butchered like a piggy and starts squeeling and arguing with everyone, resulting in funny but useless bickering. Because they feel threatened by all the for them negative comments.

CASE 2: X makes the same post. There is no rep sytem. No-one is in the mood to start a healthy debate on the topic because they are too chicken to post why they disagree with X. So the post remains undebated. Making it seem like it is a popular opinion because there are no posts saying otherwise. X feels like a beast and continues their rampage.

CASE 3: With the rep system. X makes the same post, people disagree so they give X a downvote. Z makes a post about why they disagree with X. Z gets a few upvotes from people with the same standpoint as Z, meaning they don't have to make their own post. X is a normal human being who understands that the downvotes are because people disagree. No feeling are hurt in this case.

Heh, Oh but Spoopy we have  rep buttons and all of that is still happening xD People are down voting and adding redundant debates .. People seem to always want to feel like they've had a say even if someone else already said it. 

I feel like at this point it should just be a rule for people to not complain then about the Rep system, because sometimes someone could have a decently written comment/opinion but ruin it with " Oh but w.e just down vote me because I know you will". This alone just makes me want to report/down vote their asses. I think no matter what rules Nyx writes for the Rep people are always going to revert back to doing what ever they want in regards to how they use their rep. ( People view their rep as you would with money. "Its mine and I'll do whatever I want with it ") 

Posted

I found this topic while looking for why the reputations disappeared. I have com to complain. Jokingly! I hope it's only down for maintenance or something and comes back, I miss it. It feels weird not being able to see how well users are doing.

Posted

Welp! its gone! My prediction came true faster than I thought

Posted (edited)

Reputation is merely hidden for the time being, but all of you are still earning it. All of our staff can still see everyone's reputation. We are merely testing it for the time being. Along with this we are working on ways to make the website load faster.

Edited by BonBonChucked

Posted

Reputation is merely hidden for the time being, but all of you are still earning it. All of our staff can still see everyone's reputation. We are merely testing it for the time being. Along with this we are working on ways to make the website load faster.

Oh good.  

I hope it comes back.  It is useful for spotting lurker trolls.  

On putting some little snowflakes back in "personality" by vote, I think that would be difficult.  Many people don't often go to certain threads to be familiar with that person.  I think it would be problematic.  

Perhaps only put it to vote if the snowflake has under a certain number of pages (maybe ten or fewer) and only those who have been involved on the thread should really decide.  If the thread has been languishing in the unused pile for ages and has only like five pages of comments, perhaps it should be restored to personality.  

Just my thoughts.  

Posted (edited)

For the ranking system, I don't really see it as the higher the ranking, the more popular you are. Its a forum, it mostly goes to show how frequently they post/visit the site. Users with higher rankings shouldn't feel that because of the numbers, their opinions are better or approved more than someone with a negative or lower ranking. I'm sure a lot of frequent users have noticed how users with negative rankings are treated, despite that person actually chipping in some valuable information and opinions from time to time. The ranking system should really be ditched. 

Edit: Lol it was just ditched for a bit 

Edited by Hagrid

Posted (edited)

I'd also like to add that having the reputation points visible gives incentive for higher quality posts.  

Before Biscuit become a mod, when she was only a commenter, her advise had more sway to me because she had a very high rep to post ratio.  

It allows higher-quality posters to have more positive influence.  The mods can't be everywhere.  You need the more seasoned members to exert that influence.  You don't get a rep/post ratio of 1200/200 without doing something right.  That kind of member should have greater sway over incoming members.  

Without the reputation stat being visible, a member who say looks like this:  

10 rep
450 posts 

looks the same has a member who looks like this:  

1950 rep 
450 posts.  

Clearly one has been better received on the site and can help push things in a more positive directions.  

Without rep points, they look identical.  I think it'll lead to lower quality posting as all you need to surpass the higher quality commenter is to just write a bunch of posts.  It won't take people long to figure out how to game the system and I think it'll lead to a headache for the mods.  

All I have to do is write a hundred posts with varying forms of: "I so agree with you man" and "I really dislike this snowflake" and I'll have more sway than someone who takes the time to put thought and quality into their posts.  

Quality vs. quantity

Edit:  

I also notice that without the rep system people start to get nastier with each other.   

Getting rid of it dumps a check on that kind of behavior.    

Edited by All Over The World

Posted

I'd also like to add that having the reputation points visible gives incentive for higher quality posts.  

Before Biscuit become a mod, when she was only a commenter, her advise had more sway to me because she had a very high rep to post ratio.  

It allows higher-quality posters to have more positive influence.  The mods can't be everywhere.  You need the more seasoned members to exert that influence.  You don't get a rep/post ratio of 1200/200 without doing something right.  That kind of member should have greater sway over incoming members.  

Without the reputation stat being visible, a member who say looks like this:  

10 rep
450 posts 

looks the same has a member who looks like this:  

1950 rep 
450 posts.  

Clearly one has been better received on the site and can help push things in a more positive directions.  

Without rep points, they look identical.  I think it'll lead to lower quality posting as all you need to surpass the higher quality commenter is to just write a bunch of posts.  It won't take people long to figure out how to game the system and I think it'll lead to a headache for the mods.  

All I have to do is write a hundred posts with varying forms of: "I so agree with you man" and "I really dislike this snowflake" and I'll have more sway than someone who takes the time to put thought and quality into their posts.  

Quality vs. quantity

Edit:  

I also notice that without the rep system people start to get nastier with each other.   

Getting rid of it dumps a check on that kind of behavior.    

This is true, but I have noticed that some higher rep members have been making almost what seems to be spam post for the "Sans P-whatever" badge. They contribute almost nothing to a thread, and just kind of make useless comments or unfunny comments IMO. I wouldn't mind the post count being taken away, or something like that just because people like to try to hit 1000 post for the badge. You can tell because their content quality is awful after a point, but no one downvotes them because they're high rep members.

Posted (edited)

You can tell because their content quality is awful after a point, but no one downvotes them because they're high rep members.

Wut you mean?  My 80 posts on "Why did the Kandajin cross the road?" jokes were pure gold.  I know the peeps appreciated my sparkling wit!  

And I know those lower rep/post count peeps love it when I plant my boot heel on their napes and drive their faces into the mud.  I'm just ribbing them a little. Reminding them of their place BENEATH me (where they totes belong)  ;)  

Edited by All Over The World