• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

784 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I also would really advise anyone thinking Felix's charity work makes him a good person to rethink. Just because someone does good things occasionally doesn't mean they're a good person. Literally just look at his track record for anti-semitism and his significant alt-right fan base. He's used by the alt right for a reason.

didnt he change his mind tho? i remember rëading somewhere that he got really bad backlash by his nazi fans, so he ended up not donating anything. please correct me if im wrong

EDIT: so i was right he really took it back

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49686018

Edited by potato
putting more info with source

Posted

Can I just...applaud you? Seriously, I've been on this thread several times months ago and people were so determined to defend him that they wouldn't accept being wrong when faced with evidence. You're great. Seriously, this level of maturity is something you barely see these days.

Glad that this thread has taken a turn for the better.

I am so glad too! I jumped in here one day and I was torn to shreds because I didn't support sweet baby Felix uwu. I am glad people are finally realizing that he is not the angel they think him as. Which is weird because he is anything BUT angelic. 

I just hate when a thread becomes a white knight plague like PULL ain't about that.

Posted (edited)

I dont think it's rediculous. I live in the south. Deep South, out in the countryside, like so far out that the local towns down here are so old and southern you can easily identify the little pavillion where the slaves were sold way back when. There's a cafe decorated in red and white, called the "Kountry Konnection Cafe." I don't think you have to be particularly intelligent to understand what's wrong with that. 

Felix reminds me of this cafe. Why, when the place is dressed up in American nationalist posters and confederate flags, with their uneccessry usage of Ks in their store name, with the lack of non-white people in the area, would I, as a non-white person trust this place. 

To anyone who isn't  his fan, he is consistently fucking up in one specific way. Every single time I hear about this guy, it's because he's done something racist or because someone did something horrific in his name. And it's the same with the people he followed on Twitter. I wouldn't trust the people at the Kountry Konnection Cafe, so why would I trust Felix when he was following people like Lauren Southern, who literally helped try to drown refugees on boats and has been banned from multiple countries for her nonsense. Stefan Moleneaux, who hates women and believes in eugenics. Ian Miles Cheong, who hates Jews and called Hitler his Idol. Paul Joseph Watson, who writes for InfoWars.  These people are also crazy alt right wackos who believe in the great replacement, which was talked about by the Christ Church shooter. 

These things don't exist in a vaccum. It's perfectly reasonable to think he's a Nazi because actual Nazis think he's a Nazi. Why? Because they think he's dogwhistling alt right viewpoints with all of this stuff. His favorite book is written by a Japanese facist. He's constantly surrounded by scandals about Jewish people and somehow thought it was a good idea, when rescinding his donation to the ADL after a wave of Nazi fans emerging from the depths to spread hatred, to wear an obscure Georgian cross that looks like an Iron cross and was still used in the same used in the same way during WWII. He's said the n word with disturbing ease and encouraged people to read Jordan Peterson's book. If you go to Stormfront, they're stuck between thinking he's not hardcore enough for them and thinking he's a great redpiller for the youth.

His apologies are meaningless because he keeps fucking up. "I'm sorry," doesn't count if you keep making the same mistakes over and over again. And just like how having a black friend doesn't make you not racist, Felix having friends the alt right wouldn't agree with doesn't mean he isn't alt right. Him wanting to be edgy is a dumb excuse. People have been telling him to stop for years. People have been telling him that Nazis think he's cool for years. Within his fanbase now, are literal Nazis who think he's their buddy and who defend him at the same time as defending the Christ Church shooter and other alt right mass murderers in the same breath. People who tell their fans to check Felix out because he's "got the right ideas but won't say them out loud."

So yes, in my eyes, Felix is either a Nazi or so ignorant and plain stupid, to not have figured out how bad this all looks, that it's a miracle he's navigated posting on YouTube for so long. And I think anyone defending him is delusional at this point.

I just found a prime example of that sweet ol' (not that old after all, I agree with you that the "Georgian" cross display wasn't an accident) Pewdiepie's dog-whistle politics. He took the most exaggerated situation as an occasion to indirectly and sarcastically promote his political stance. Honestly, if people STILL can't see that in this video, then they're a lost cause. I now recall being shocked when I first watched this, but I didn't remember this, nor the video it comes from.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JdG6zXiqlv4

Edited by thankyouforthemeows

Posted (edited)

Felix' recent video truly shows that he doesn't understand what kind of impact he's having. He takes zero responsibility for his large alt-right/neo-nazi following and for having become a symbol for these people. It's easy to downplay and ridicule how effective memes can be in radicalizing people further (edgy jokes and blurry lines of irony are the first step down the alt-right pipeline for many) but it's ridiculous to imply that e.g. pepe the frog did not eventually become a symbol for people of the alt-right and that it's just a cartoon with no further associations. (that doesn't mean you're not allowed to ever use e.g. pepe the frog as an emoji or whatever but things can have different meanings and one of pepe's meanings is clearly a sign of support for the alt-right nowadays)

Edited by sulla_luna

Posted

Felix' recent video truly shows that he doesn't understand what kind of impact he's having. He takes zero responsibility for his large alt-right/neo-nazi following and for having become a symbol for these people. It's easy to downplay and ridicule how effective memes can be in radicalizing people further (edgy jokes and blurry lines of irony are the first step down the alt-right pipeline for many) but it's ridiculous to imply that e.g. pepe the frog did not eventually become a symbol for people of the alt-right and that it's just a cartoon with no further associations. (that doesn't mean you're not allowed to ever use e.g. pepe the frog as an emoji or whatever but things can have different meanings and one of pepe's meanings is clearly a sign of support for the alt-right nowadays)

Oh god...I don't keep up with him anymore these days. I can't believe his videos are still filled with the same kind of imagery. I have a hard time believing this isn't intentional anymore, to be honest. He even sounds out of his mind. I get that he's dissatisfied with his private life, that he's attached to the bottle once again and that he suffers from depression, but nothing can justify NEVER learning from your mistakes.

There are things in that video the could've been avoided, and it would still pass as EdGy. He's not an idiot, he must be well-aware of that. I'm referring to the recurring rifle theme, ESPECIALLY when coupled with certain other topics in that video. And again, I don't care if he jokes about these things in private, that is down to personal taste and sense of humour and that's it, but he knows full well that THIS is a dangerous game he's playing. At this point I'm convinced he's completely lost it and actually ENJOYS sending subtle messages to a certain slice of its audience.

Next time something happens (let's hope not!) he will be directly accountable for it in my eyes. And if this is still an unpopular opinion, then you're all blind and need to wake up.

Posted

Wait what happened? Can someone update me please? Sorry if it's a bother i haven't been keeping up with him at all

Posted (edited)

Hidden Content

No worries! About a week ago, Pewdiepie uploaded a video titled "The BROFIST is declared a HATE SYMBOL! (this is bad)" in which he downplays the validity of memes and symbols such as Pepe the frog and the ok symbol as a sign people of the alt-right use (sorry btw I thought the video was more recent). Whatever his intentions were, it peddled typical alt-right/neo-nazi talking points of always playing defense and making the left (which he conflates which the media) look over-sensitive and over-reaching every-time they talk about these symbols to his audience. (Vaush did a video on it, that's how I found out about it). 

Edited by sulla_luna

Posted

I'm gonnna be that person and ask...with all of his present controversy... how has he not been moved from Online Personalities and over into Little Snowflakes yet??

Posted (edited)

First time in this thread and I’m always gonna say what I normally say when pewdiepie is brought up in discussions about him being a controversial/problematic figure:

I remember when I was younger, I was watching him play the last of us, and I swear to god I saw him hold back from calling one of the black characters the n word. I was young so mind you, this was before I even got into being socially aware of anything really. I was just a kid that wanted to enjoy a video. There was this black character, a young boy, who was taking to one of the main characters, Ellie. Pewdiepie kept trying to say “get away from her” and saying anything related to not liking him and not wanting him to talk to her. It got to a point where he was edging near to calling him a word, and then finally he said “get away from her you n-“ but stopped there cuz he catched himself. 

i felt so uncomfortable as a child, especially as a black one. of course, I shoved it in the back of my mind bcus I just wanted to be entertained and enjoy his videos, and also I don’t think I validated me hearing that. it wasn’t until a controversy of him saying the n word came up years later that I knew what I saw wasn’t in my head.

Edited by jaybird

Posted

No worries! About a week ago, Pewdiepie uploaded a video titled "The BROFIST is declared a HATE SYMBOL! (this is bad)" in which he downplays the validity of memes and symbols such as Pepe the frog and the ok symbol as a sign people of the alt-right use (sorry btw I thought the video was more recent). Whatever his intentions were, it peddled typical alt-right/neo-nazi talking points of always playing defense and making the left (which he conflates which the media) look over-sensitive and over-reaching every-time they talk about these symbols to his audience. (Vaush did a video on it, that's how I found out about it). 

Bit OT but this Vaush person talking about the Bolivian situation as it was a coup just makes him lose all credibility for me lmao

Posted

I find kinda stupid to think that he hates the jews or is racist when he has friends that are in that spectrum.

what in the “I’m not racist my friend is black” is this?

Posted

what in the obvious fuck.......the racism really exploded here. 

you....never apologized for you being racist against Romani people......

I did. I said "I apologize for my ignorance" which included all of the racist things that have been said. Have you missed that reply or...?

Posted (edited)

I did. I said "I apologize for my ignorance" which included all of the racist things that have been said. Have you missed that reply or...?

you only said that in reply to some info on Pewdiepie. And there’s a difference between being ignorant (which you were being in regards to not knowing the impact Felix has) and just being straight up racist....which you were

but as long as you learned from it I’m fine. 

Edited by jaybird

Posted

you only said that in reply to some info on Pewdiepie. And there’s a difference between being ignorant (which you were being in regards to not knowing the impact Felix has) and just being straight up racist....which you were

I didn't tag everyone that replied to my comments about the Romani, but it was indeed an apology for everything that I typed, not just the info about PewDiePie. I did also realize I was coming across as both racist and ignorant in my previous replies.

Posted

Probably off topic but I remember when I used to watch him back in the day when he was still playing horror games but stopped watching once he dropped gaming. If I remember correctly (maybe someone in this topic has already brought it up) he made a song about rape somewhere in the past and got called out for it.