• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

698 posts in this topic

Posted

He's a casual racist. He's a white guy who has never lived a life where he faces any institutionalised or socially ingrained racism on a personal level so he thinks saying whatever is fine because 'I'd never do these things'. In a few ways this is harder to confront than extreme racism because casual racists don't realise that they're racist. There's a mental block or flawed logic that self-absolves the person because they always excuse what they're saying or 'reason' it away. In his case it's "oh I didn't mean it" or "oh my words don't reflect my actions I would never do what I say".

Yea well words have a strong impact when you have 50m+ subscribers and many of them are teenage boys to whom you're demonstrating that this behaviour is fine because you never get punished for it.

I am saying this as a statement of fact and not an opinion: no non-racist person would ever pay two Indian guys to hold up a sign saying 'death to all Jews' or pay a guy to dress up as Jesus and say 'Hitler did nothing wrong'.

It doesn't matter how he explained it away, it doesn't matter how much he says it was a 'social experiment' to see what people to do for £5 - it was racist. If he wanted to do the experiment he said he was doing, he could've picked literally any other topic ever. He could have made people hold up innocuous signs saying 'save the Vogons' or 'Britney for queen' and it would have had the same effect considering he has so many subs that he'd get a gajillion views in a day and his content matters so little to his view count.

So the end result to him thinking he's funny and edgy for getting some guys to sign 'death to all Jews' is that he's only making himself the poster boy for casual racism because he doesn't think twice about what he says or does. The NZ school shooting is proof because there were Nazi swastikas sprayed on the side of a UK school referencing the shooting that say 'sub to Pewdiepie' in conjunction.

This 4chan post sums it up better than I could:

tumblr_pokmmvLdyg1wus03v_540.thumb.jpg.9

He's starting to become shorthand for right-wing subtext and I find it very hard to believe that it was by sheer coincidence that these people gravitated towards him.

honey, never go in europe please. 

the amount of white kids saying the n word because their favorite rappers say it will be too much for your frail heart. 

the "subscribe to pewdepie" meme is literally pepe in a new package. 

Posted

honey, never go in europe please. 

the amount of white kids saying the n word because their favorite rappers say it will be too much for your frail heart. 

the "subscribe to pewdepie" meme is literally pepe in a new package. 

Well pepe meme is well known to be used by the altright so I don’t think that’s a great thing.

unrelated to all of this I don’t really like how he’s using bts as a meme and I don’t even like bts, it’s really unfunny? I don’t find his videos funny as well I don’t understand how he has 90m subscribes he’s not funny at all to me. When I watch his videos I feel like energy drink consuming socially awkward losers would find him funny, not saying all his subscribers are like that but that’s the image I get from his humor. He and his beard just looks at the camera saying sarcastically dumb shit and repeats it in another tone it’s not funny at all. 

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this comment is all over the place since Ive just had finals and my brain is fried but I'm really unsure of how to feel about this guy. This isn't like a JonTron situation where it was pretty clear-cut that the guy was an ignorant asshole with his multiple social media posts, interviews and debates (ie his iconic "if you can buy a Big Mac in your country you're not oppressed" tweet and "they're all commulists" comment), but at the same time, it's getting reeeeeally hard to see Pewds in a positive light with all the easily-avoidable mistakes he's been making. I'm not talking about the shooter; if the meme was subscribe to Contrapoints instead of Pewds I'm pretty sure that cringy fucktard would've said that instead. I'm talking about promoting a blatant Neo-Nazi, keeping in a segment about people he paid to say racist things, and following conservative pundits that spew really ignorant on his Twitter.

-He could've avoided the E;R controversy if he had just. . .literally watched any single one of his videos. Like I don't think anyone is asking for Pewds to do extensive background checks on the people he's promoting, just the bare minimum. Who even puts a channel in a top 10 favorites list if they didn't even watch any of their videos to begin with?

-He could've avoided the Fiverr drama if he had just. . .censored the sign they held up. The "joke" would still have it's punchline, and the "point" he was trying to make would've still been the same. All he had to do was blur out the words on his sign and he would've been fine

- He could've avoided the Twitter follower drama if he had just. . .never followed them in the first place. Call me dramatic but usually when you follow someone on Twitter it's because you support them in some way. It's possible he followed them because some of then came on his show, like Jordan Peterson, but at some point he must've seen the fucked up shit they were saying on his feed and unfollowed them? Unless he doesn't check his feed that often, which I don't know.

The thing is, if a person w/o 95mil subs made the same mistakes Pewds did they would've been dragged to Hell and back, but because Pewds has a massive fanbase people are more sympathetic towards him for some reason and defend him. This reminds me of a similar situation with Jeffree Starr, a massive beauty guru with almost 11mil subs, threatened to sue another guru over a trademark phrase (it wasnt even his actual trademark phrase he was suing for but whatev) he didn't have ownership or even file for back in 2016 and got almost no flak for it, yet later, when a smaller guru named Jordan Byers was threatening to sue another guru over a trademark phrase, people absolutely dragged her to filth. It's kinda unfair and we really need to start lookimg at ourselves and asking why we defend some but not all people when they do the same thing.

I've said this before in Shane Dawson's thread but YouTubers are never gonna get better if fans keep defending everything YouTubers do. On one hand, I can see all the good he's done as a person, like donating money to clean up vandalism one of his retarded fans did, and telling people not to be annoying about being a Pewds fan, but on the other hand, I also see the mistakes he's made and understand why people might think of him as racist and not wanna follow him because of that. I don't think it's fair to dismiss those people as just "sensitive snowflakes" because just as your feelings to follow Pewds because of his good actions are valid, their feelings that Pewds is racist because of his bad actions are also valid, since Pewds did both things. If you want him to stop getting hate, stop defending him and start inspiring him to change. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Amen. I am sick and tired of youtubers being excused for everything shitty they do. They are like spoiled children. Never will learn until you tell them no and mean NO.  

Edited by Senpai Trash
repeated a word and it bothered me heh

Posted

Some of you sound like the type of person who believes that when a person kills another saying gta influenced them that video games are at fault lol 

Pewdiepie didn’t make those jokes because he’s racist or a nazi, these are like the most mild jokes people make in gaming communities although now no one does them since the internet has just become a place full of sensitive people that take everything serious, but at the time he made those jokes he wasn’t the only one, it’s not his fault if some of his subscribers are mentally ill and take his jokes seriously.

Yes because the n word is a joke, you know one of his fans literally try to tell me , a black person, that the n word wasn't a slur? Yeah, lets keep capping for this shit because "issa joke". 

Posted

Yes because the n word is a joke, you know one of his fans literally try to tell me , a black person, that the n word wasn't a slur? Yeah, lets keep capping for this shit because "issa joke". 

A lot of the people saying the n-word and blackface were "socially acceptable" on the internet or the gaming community back in the 2000s are most likely 12-15 and were either the toxic edgelord themselves or were too young to fully experience how much the gaming community fucking hated those toxic edgelords. There's entire forum threads dedicated to complaining about racist redneck squeakers on COD or Battlefield, and there's a couple of now defunct YouTube channels that were dedicated to trolling/hacking Xbox edgelords, all from the 2000s. People hated and made fun of them even back then; being a cringy edgelord was never "cool" lmao! I have no idea what these guys are on about. 

Posted (edited)

They dont take it serious because they're racist to.

None of them will say those "jokes" to the groups of people he made fun of because they will get their ass beat

Edited by Anat

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this comment is all over the place since Ive just had finals and my brain is fried but I'm really unsure of how to feel about this guy. This isn't like a JonTron situation where it was pretty clear-cut that the guy was an ignorant asshole with his multiple social media posts, interviews and debates (ie his iconic "if you can buy a Big Mac in your country you're not oppressed" tweet and "they're all commulists" comment), but at the same time, it's getting reeeeeally hard to see Pewds in a positive light with all the easily-avoidable mistakes he's been making. I'm not talking about the shooter; if the meme was subscribe to Contrapoints instead of Pewds I'm pretty sure that cringy fucktard would've said that instead. I'm talking about promoting a blatant Neo-Nazi, keeping in a segment about people he paid to say racist things, and following conservative pundits that spew really ignorant on his Twitter.

-He could've avoided the E;R controversy if he had just. . .literally watched any single one of his videos. Like I don't think anyone is asking for Pewds to do extensive background checks on the people he's promoting, just the bare minimum. Who even puts a channel in a top 10 favorites list if they didn't even watch any of their videos to begin with?

-He could've avoided the Fiverr drama if he had just. . .censored the sign they held up. The "joke" would still have it's punchline, and the "point" he was trying to make would've still been the same. All he had to do was blur out the words on his sign and he would've been fine

- He could've avoided the Twitter follower drama if he had just. . .never followed them in the first place. Call me dramatic but usually when you follow someone on Twitter it's because you support them in some way. It's possible he followed them because some of then came on his show, like Jordan Peterson, but at some point he must've seen the fucked up shit they were saying on his feed and unfollowed them? Unless he doesn't check his feed that often, which I don't know.

The thing is, if a person w/o 95mil subs made the same mistakes Pewds did they would've been dragged to Hell and back, but because Pewds has a massive fanbase people are more sympathetic towards him for some reason and defend him. This reminds me of a similar situation with Jeffree Starr, a massive beauty guru with almost 11mil subs, threatened to sue another guru over a trademark phrase (it wasnt even his actual trademark phrase he was suing for but whatev) he didn't have ownership or even file for back in 2016 and got almost no flak for it, yet later, when a smaller guru named Jordan Byers was threatening to sue another guru over a trademark phrase, people absolutely dragged her to filth. It's kinda unfair and we really need to start lookimg at ourselves and asking why we defend some but not all people when they do the same thing.

I've said this before in Shane Dawson's thread but YouTubers are never gonna get better if fans keep defending everything YouTubers do. On one hand, I can see all the good he's done as a person, like donating money to clean up vandalism one of his retarded fans did, and telling people not to be annoying about being a Pewds fan, but on the other hand, I also see the mistakes he's made and understand why people might think of him as racist and not wanna follow him because of that. I don't think it's fair to dismiss those people as just "sensitive snowflakes" because just as your feelings to follow Pewds because of his good actions are valid, their feelings that Pewds is racist because of his bad actions are also valid, since Pewds did both things. If you want him to stop getting hate, stop defending him and start inspiring him to change. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

I think all of these things are semi-intentional, they're calculated. Also it's no longer just a "controversy", it's more like a "saga" at this stage.   

It may not be that each one is individually done with specific intentions, but he certainly doesn't avoid the situations he gets himself into. He knows about the big pushback against obtuse SJWism, and he wants to be seen as like some kind of torch-bearer to those people. He'll never go outright alt-right, he'll always have it just going a little bit over the edge, that way he won't alienate his fans. They'll fight for him and defend him, all the while generating a bigger and bigger persecuted-messiah complex "no, no, stop attacking poor long-suffering pewdiepie who has over $100 million in the bank yet I donated half of my week's income in just so he could call out my name on stream".  

Edited by Puyo_Puyo

Posted

Tbh I really hate to be one of those who say this, but I will still say it:

BRING BACK 2016-2017 PEWDS PLS

I love dat sheit on reacting to weird ass YTers or just weird stuff. Had the most fun around that time, altho that's also the time when he fucked up with Fiverr. But still, people who watched his videos around that time would understand, it's somewhat like the peak for his channel imo

The current shows can be fun at times, but it's already starting to get boring with all the S2P memes going on. I've stopped watching his videos for the past month, really hope he can step up and possibly make great game LPs again after Detroit: Become Human.

Posted

I think all of these things are semi-intentional, they're calculated. Also it's no longer just a "controversy", it's more like a "saga" at this stage.   

It may not be that each one is individually done with specific intentions, but he certainly doesn't avoid the situations he gets himself into. He knows about the big pushback against obtuse SJWism, and he wants to be seen as like some kind of torch-bearer to those people. He'll never go outright alt-right, he'll always have it just going a little bit over the edge, that way he won't alienate his fans. They'll fight for him and defend him, all the while generating a bigger and bigger persecuted-messiah complex "no, no, stop attacking poor long-suffering pewdiepie who has over $100 million in the bank yet I donated half of my week's income in just so he could call out my name on stream".  

I kinda don't wanna think he's doing this shit on purpose because being a militant anti-SJW is an edgy phase high schoolers or college freshman go through. The thought that a frown-ass adult in his 30s might be going through that immature phase makes me wanna cringe into a black hole. Then again, the immaturity kinda makes sense since his humor is still trapped in 2012 when it was trendy to scream and laugh at video games, only now he screams and laughs at YouTube videos instead. 

Posted

He read, reviewed and recommended Jordan B Peterson's book in one of his book reviews. He usually does a lot of research about the books he reads and the authors from what I've seen in his book reviews. I doubt he didn't know anything about him and the other people questionable people he followed.

He either really supports and shares these racist views or is just super dumb.

Posted

Recently I've watched him because my boyfriend watches him. When I've been bored, I've taken a seat with him and casually consumed what seems to be relatively harmless memeing. If I only watched PDP like this and didn't look into his past or know about the controversy, I wouldn't really have much of an opinion outside of thinking he's a bit undeserving of his following, occasionally cringey and obnoxious, but mostly fine. Just a dude who got lucky because he hit the jackpot with timing.

But then there's the fact that he has the kind of child-like mind that thinks it's funny to use the N-word and make hateful anti-semitic "jokes". He followed known white supremacists on Twitter, and not just one, but a dozen of them. Suddenly he stops following them when a white supremacist commits and unthinkable hatecrime and shouts his name. He's had to "apologize" and explain away his behavior for years, so it's not a mistake. If it's a persona, it's an incident of, "every joke holds a grain of truth".

I think he's funny. Some of his vlogs are wholesome and down to earth and other people I enjoy watching have described him as a great guy in different ways. I think he's a sweet, funny guy who is also racist, anti-semitic, and the kind of person who doesn't understand the gravity of his actions. I've met people like that. They're relatively common here in Scandinavia, where on the surface we certainly don't mean those awful things! But if you go on forums you will find many angry Scandis who are sick of "SJW brainwashing" and brown people. It's ugly, and it shouldn't be overlooked because he's funny or makes cute vlogs.

Posted

He read, reviewed and recommended Jordan B Peterson's book in one of his book reviews. He usually does a lot of research about the books he reads and the authors from what I've seen in his book reviews. I doubt he didn't know anything about him and the other people questionable people he followed.

He either really supports and shares these racist views or is just super dumb.

Sorry but how is Jordan Peterson racist? I've listened to his interviews and some lectures before and he just doesn't believe that censoring "hate speech" is the way to change society, but rather having conversations. Not to mention using science to back up your arguments, which many people are unable to do these days. Jordan Peterson is an intellectual, and Felix reading his material doesn't mean he has "racist views" for wanting a different perspective than what's commonplace online these days.

Posted (edited)

about J.Peterson: 

Sorry but how is Jordan Peterson racist? I've listened to his interviews and some lectures before and he just doesn't believe that censoring "hate speech" is the way to change society, but rather having conversations. Not to mention using science to back up your arguments, which many people are unable to do these days. Jordan Peterson is an intellectual, and Felix reading his material doesn't mean he has "racist views" for wanting a different perspective than what's commonplace online these days.

Makes me think that they didn't themselves read Jordan P.'s books. I've read his books (I've also taken one of his classes), they've got nothing to do with race. One has to do with how the human mind defines "Meaning", the second is a bit of a memior mixed with advice and discoveries, his new one? It's about political correctness. 

Instead of spreading misinformation or complaining about a book someone suggested - at least - READ THE BOOK FIRST.

About the anti-semetic comment:  

Anti semitic yet had Jew (Ben Shapiro) host his most popular youtube series. Explain that one for me. 

Edited by honeycrisp

Posted

About the anti-semetic comment:  

Hidden Content

an orthodox (the most religious out of the streams of jewdism) none the less. lol