• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

698 posts in this topic

Posted

My thoughts on this:

Pewdiepie is subjective. He has done both good and bad.

Posted

I’m not really sure how to feel about him unfollowing everyone. On one hand, it’s a good move that he’s unfollowed some of the more controversial people, but it also kind of feels like he turned it into a joke by unfollowing everyone except for BTS.

I just wish he’d make a serious video denouncing all of this stuff. While I still don’t think he’s an alt-right extremist like someone like Jontron for multiple reasons, I think he really should address it or clarify what he thinks in a video. 

Only NZ is trying to keep international media down on the subject. They don't want the news spreading as to further. They're trying to suffocate the story as much as they can while instead focusing on the victims, laws and practices of safety. He's made his statement, and like I mentioned before he'll likely donate in private as he usually does. Staying quiet now and leaving it in the hands of the NZ officials is better, they likely contacted him in regards to it too. He's also surely talked to his PR and they'll tell him how to handle this situation. 

I understand the concept of wanting him to address it, his fan-base, the meme-ness - it would be a good time for leadership. People are looking for someone to speak of the injustice - 
Only I think he's chosing to follow, the NZ Officials are the leaders here. They're the ones who need to keep the light on the topic - not Felix. 

It is not his battle to fight. He was dragged down by a terrorist. He's addressed it, he's changed what he has control over (subreddit, public statements) and now he's processing. He needs to process.

People seem to forget (or refuse to acknowledge) that while he's not a direct victim of this scenerio, he's still been victimized. His job is not to be a voice, it's to cope with a tragety. Like the other user mentioned, this is PTSD enducing. He's not a world leader, he's just a millennial on youtube. It's not his job.

I do agree, maybe after the wound is a little less fresh - that he should make an all encompassing videos denoucing extremists/racists. He's mentioned it countless times in various videos, but for the people who aren't going to watch all his videos and just judge him based off a Vox article or something - it'd be smart to have one video to direct them too. A "For the Record" type video like he did with his apology. 

Posted

I’m not really sure how to feel about him unfollowing everyone. On one hand, it’s a good move that he’s unfollowed some of the more controversial people, but it also kind of feels like he turned it into a joke by unfollowing everyone except for BTS.

I just wish he’d make a serious video denouncing all of this stuff. While I still don’t think he’s an alt-right extremist like someone like Jontron for multiple reasons, I think he really should address it or clarify what he thinks in a video. 

idk how to feel abt that tbh like it is a good gag but i think people forget he is a genuine fan of bts 

also is jontron an extremist??? 

Posted (edited)

He’s been a fan of BTS since 2015 and he admitted that.. I don’t know why people are saying that he’s being sarcastic about it and I don’t think unfollowing everyone except BTS is a serious matter, he probably wants to chill and get away from stuffs “at the moment” he’s a human too you know.

Edited by kiwifruit

Posted

He’s been a fan of BTS since 2015 and he admitted that.. I don’t know why people are saying that he’s being sarcastic about it and I don’t think unfollowing everyone except BTS is a serious matter, he probably wants to chill and get away from stuffs “at the moment” he’s a human too you know.

Yeah he loves G-dragon too! its so silly to think he would do it for clout, like him and bts are so popular ahahaha as if either need any promo since they're both #1 in their own categories. we all know how beautiful jimin is ;;;))) even jimmy fallon loves him

Posted

Skimmed through the recent posts and I don't think this has been mentioned but Pewdiepie stole the tweet about Jimin's dimples

D19WtoYXcAM_tLT.thumb.jpg.217f9a333d9170D19WtocXQAA44vM.thumb.jpg.3517ea9abc2a5f

and at this point it seems like he's just using bts as a meme

pp1.thumb.JPG.be8912240c5bf193dd4de95fe2pp2.thumb.JPG.16fe253ff880e6953a772233afpp3.thumb.JPG.1b3390af8437e665c84997cd8b

idk i just find it a bit weird that bts is the first thing he tweets about right after his tweet about the shooting

Posted

Skimmed through the recent posts and I don't think this has been mentioned but Pewdiepie stole the tweet about Jimin's dimples

D19WtoYXcAM_tLT.thumb.jpg.217f9a333d9170D19WtocXQAA44vM.thumb.jpg.3517ea9abc2a5f

and at this point it seems like he's just using bts as a meme

pp1.thumb.JPG.be8912240c5bf193dd4de95fe2pp2.thumb.JPG.16fe253ff880e6953a772233afpp3.thumb.JPG.1b3390af8437e665c84997cd8b

idk i just find it a bit weird that bts is the first thing he tweets about right after his tweet about the shooting

He's completely ignoring the shooting now. He's taking attention elsewhere, picked a topic pretty much everyone enjoys talking about. He memes the things he loves all the time. meming something =/= not liking it. 

Posted

he's doing it to divert the attention from all the controversial shit he's connected to. if any of you really believe he likes BTS like...pls grow tf up. 

i only find it hilarious how his audience is, once again, 12year olds. going back to his roots i guess.

Posted

Whether he likes it or not, his name is now connected to a horrible and deadly terrorist attack, that's not something he can just ignore away. It doesn't matter that he doesn't want to be connected to the shooting, because he is, and that's a really shitty situation to be in. He has handled it very poorly though, in my opinion at least.

It would've been better if he'd just not used social media at all for a while, and then later properly adress the shooting somewhere that isn't just a tweet, after he had time to process it all.

Tweeting about k-pop right now kind of comes off as a bit insensitive.

Posted (edited)

``

Edited by tttttttttt
``

Posted

I understand why some of you would want him to address the shooting. But it has been discussed earlier in this thread that him talking about the shooting will only validate what the shooter did. The shooter is a terrorist and his actions must not be acknowledged. Just like how the president(??) Of new zealand addressed it. She said her condolences and said that the terrorist must remain nameless and faceless. Felix has said his condolences and even put up a donation link on YouTube. And just like someone on here said, his name was negatively connected to it. He has no contribution to what happened. It wasn't his fault so why should he address it? Atleast that is what I think about the situation.

Screenshot_20190323-013002__01.thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

I don’t feel even a bit sad for him. He’s not responsible for the shooting but it’s useless to act like he’s not creating a space for his fans to radicalize online. He follows altright all his apologies are empty, if he cared he would unfollow them and strongly condemn hate, just like another user mentioned he’s providing a platform to islamphobes and other racists, he cannot detach himseld from hate crimes that result from this promotion. It’s like ben sharpio butting out when he has been racist so many times in the past and has radicalised people. Pewdiepie has a huge following but instead of being really careful he pushes this watered down altright edgy memes, he’s now backing out because he’s being attacked and nothing else. It’s like his accident with the nword, his fans don’t care. They think ironic racism is a joke and ok because he has pushed that narrative from day 1. If people of out his fanbase wouldn’t made it an issue he would’ve just ignored it. His fans didn’t care, and he didn’t care. His apologies are all empty and he has never been hold responsible for opening a gate to radicalisation online. People watch him for some gaming videos and then it follows with the small political videos. He is not responsible for the shooting but he should be hold responsible. Saying pewdiepie have nothing to do with the altright is willful ignorance. He’s a gateway to rightwing radicalisation. I have yet to run into a single pewdiepie fan online who hasn’t been racist. Thousands of young men are being radicalised online by white supremacists under the guise of being edgy. That along with youtube algorithm that promotes more extreme content   once you see a single video about that topic leads to a dangerous precedent.

Pewdiepie knows what he’s doing, he dips in altrighty shit and throws empty apologies when he’s called out so his fans can attack you with “HE APOLOGIZED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”, his apologies don’t mean anything when he’s following the altright and opening a gateway to the altrigh in guise of being edgy to his followers. Not everything is a joke, especially racism. It leads to death. Hold him responsible. Stop acting like anything will happen to him when his cult fanbase will defend him no matter what. Stop being biased towards him. If you go few pages back to when he said the nword you can see people were defending him saying a literal racial slur. The same thing is happening now. 

Fucking facts, people for years been saying "your jokes have effects", but same people get blown off because "yOurE jUsT bEinG A SJW". Not saying he's responsible, but it's not exactly surprising that these types of people follow him, I mean look at people placing "subscribe to pewds" on Jewish memorial stuff as well as neo-nazi stuff, this isn't "out of nowhere", how long are we going to pretend like he doesn't make a platform for people to act out like this? Hell, A LOT of his fans say racist shit, why do you think he keeps attracting these types of people?

Edited by Cg1280

Posted

I've been a Pewdiepie fan since 2011 and I've watched him go through several phases... his current phase is definitely the worst in terms of the edgy humour (and content wise, to be honest). I honestly believe that he isn't aware of how big of an impact he has on his fanbase and how easily it is for what he's saying to be misconstrued ...there have even been moments where I personally couldn't tell if some of the more offensive remarks he was making was him just joking around or if he genuinely believed in what he's saying... I think this experience will be a wakeup call for him and I hope he would be more conscious of the type of content he's putting out in the future. (I'm not trying to imply that the NZ shooting was his fault/that he was partially responsible for what occurred... I just believe he should be more careful to avoid being used by radical individuals/terrorists).

Posted

He's a casual racist. He's a white guy who has never lived a life where he faces any institutionalised or socially ingrained racism on a personal level so he thinks saying whatever is fine because 'I'd never do these things'. In a few ways this is harder to confront than extreme racism because casual racists don't realise that they're racist. There's a mental block or flawed logic that self-absolves the person because they always excuse what they're saying or 'reason' it away. In his case it's "oh I didn't mean it" or "oh my words don't reflect my actions I would never do what I say".

Yea well words have a strong impact when you have 50m+ subscribers and many of them are teenage boys to whom you're demonstrating that this behaviour is fine because you never get punished for it.

I am saying this as a statement of fact and not an opinion: no non-racist person would ever pay two Indian guys to hold up a sign saying 'death to all Jews' or pay a guy to dress up as Jesus and say 'Hitler did nothing wrong'.

It doesn't matter how he explained it away, it doesn't matter how much he says it was a 'social experiment' to see what people to do for £5 - it was racist. If he wanted to do the experiment he said he was doing, he could've picked literally any other topic ever. He could have made people hold up innocuous signs saying 'save the Vogons' or 'Britney for queen' and it would have had the same effect considering he has so many subs that he'd get a gajillion views in a day and his content matters so little to his view count.

So the end result to him thinking he's funny and edgy for getting some guys to sign 'death to all Jews' is that he's only making himself the poster boy for casual racism because he doesn't think twice about what he says or does. The NZ school shooting is proof because there were Nazi swastikas sprayed on the side of a UK school referencing the shooting that say 'sub to Pewdiepie' in conjunction.

This 4chan post sums it up better than I could:

tumblr_pokmmvLdyg1wus03v_540.thumb.jpg.9

He's starting to become shorthand for right-wing subtext and I find it very hard to believe that it was by sheer coincidence that these people gravitated towards him.

Posted (edited)

Some of you sound like the type of person who believes that when a person kills another saying gta influenced them that video games are at fault lol 

Pewdiepie didn’t make those jokes because he’s racist or a nazi, these are like the most mild jokes people make in gaming communities although now no one does them since the internet has just become a place full of sensitive people that take everything serious, but at the time he made those jokes he wasn’t the only one, it’s not his fault if some of his subscribers are mentally ill and take his jokes seriously.

Edited by Yukino