• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

784 posts in this topic

Posted

This isn't going to ruin his reputation or mental health there is no need to pray for him. pewdiepiss isn't responsible for the shooting but he is responsible for radicalization. he follows prominent alt right figures like molyneux and paul joseph watson and has invited ben shapiro on his show. he has done racist shit numerous times so coupling those things together makes his apologies look weak idk how you guys believe him

Do you guys legit just want people to be like "thoughts and prayers uwu" and move on? how is that going to fix anything? is it now wrong to address to root causes of things like this? what are you guys on

Posted

This isn't going to ruin his reputation or mental health there is no need to pray for him. pewdiepiss isn't responsible for the shooting but he is responsible for radicalization. he follows prominent alt right figures like molyneux and paul joseph watson and has invited ben shapiro on his show. he has done racist shit numerous times so coupling those things together makes his apologies look weak idk how you guys believe him

Do you guys legit just want people to be like "thoughts and prayers uwu" and move on? how is that going to fix anything? is it now wrong to address to root causes of things like this? what are you guys on

I wholeheartedly agree with you. More than thoughts and prayers for him, they should be directed at the affected from this catastrophe. People need address that he's being problematic. But with 86 million bros, any sort of opinion that judges him gets you hit with "T-gay" or some rubbish like that. I am worried for him. He might feel responsible (which I hope he does). But he'll eventually move on. 

I am more worried of what people will get out of this. I am even more worried about the affected and the innocent who died for no reason. 

Posted

He shouldn't be held accountable over the shooting incident, but he definitely needs to reach out/at least try to control his community more. I have a friend whose humor is the whole edgy memes shit, and when I first encountered it I told him I can't understand how it's considered funny. Apparently I'm a ~normie~. He goes on to say it's all ironic, he doesn't really say slurs irl, and he doesn't believe that racism is justified and all, and anyone who does take it seriously is a normie. I think it's lost on him that actual people that believe that shit are on the Internet. The whole point of dark humor goes over the heads of a lot of people. They're radicalized online.

Pewds should realize how big of an influence he actually is. Just dial it down, Felix. 

Posted

I wholeheartedly agree with you. More than thoughts and prayers for him, they should be directed at the affected from this catastrophe. People need address that he's being problematic. But with 86 million bros, any sort of opinion that judges him gets you hit with "T-gay" or some rubbish like that. I am worried for him. He might feel responsible (which I hope he does). But he'll eventually move on. 

I am more worried of what people will get out of this. I am even more worried about the affected and the innocent who died for no reason. 

Most people are defending him he'll be alright. victims should be top priority but people are acting like its stupid and morally wrong to talk about what could've caused this which is foolish. the shooter was clearly begging for attention but its also obvious he was radicalized online and that needs to be addressed so shit like this doesn't happen more often 

Also heres some charities for the victims 

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/christchurch-shooting-victims-fund

https://www.launchgood.com/project/support_for_the_families__victims_of_the_new_zealand_mosque_shootings#!/

Posted

I'm back after doing some thinking. I feel like I probably sounded like some huge WK earlier and that's embarassing. Anyway, after the last two incidents with the meme, I definetly agree on that felix needs to tone down. After this, we will definetly not be hearing the "sub to pewds" sentence any longer, because it is now related to big tragedy. I hope Felix understands this and can finally shut down the meme and possibly ban it in his subreddit. Felix himself may not care much about T-series passing him, but his fanbase has cared about it way too much, to the point where it's just ridiculous. He has taken this incident very seriously, and I hope he continues that way by ending the meme for good. I still don't think he is responsible for this, but he has almost 90 million people following him now and I hope this makes him realise how big of an influence he has on people.

OT: Was KF mentioned by the shooter too? Their website is going crazy and they have a message stating they're not responsible and stuff like that.

Posted (edited)

No, PewDiePie is not the reason this man killed people, but it is burying your head in the sand to pretend as though the attitude that has fostered in and around his 'community'/fandom isn't one to be concerned about. The acceptance and excuses made for racism, homophobia, sexism, Islamophobia, as well as a general negative view of having empathy or caring about these things is common. Hell, you see the rampant cult-like personality in the replies to people pointing out the ideologies like the one the shooter had fester in these sort of environments, people misinterpreting it as people blaming PDP as the sole reason for the attacks when it's not the case at all.

People can say "with millions of fans comes the chance of this" but I can't think of many (if any) hugely popular internet personalities or celebrities that have people committing mass-shootings while referencing their name specifically, as well as other things associated with their 'corner' of the internet or whatever. PDP has managed to establish a fanbase who will defend and excuse his many faults, some of those faults concerning bigotry similar to the ideology exhibited by extremists, and he's also directed fans towards a Youtube page run by what is essentially a Nazi. I know I know, he apologised as he mostly always does, but I don't think he realises the scope of the issue. 

ETA: And as others pointed out, he associates with far-right or alt-right people quite a bit, for him to not realise what that is doing or what environment that is encouraging is either purposeful or stupid.

Edited by anastacia

Posted

90 million people. Bigger than most countries. Do you think a single person is responsible for the interpretations of MILLIONS? Felix repeatedly condemns negative behaviour INCLUDING his own. He has asked his own supporters to call him out when he’s in the wrong and they do, and he address it and doesn’t do it again. Has he said the nword since? No. Has he made an anti Semitic joke since? No. He condemns and denounces all of it. Actions and words, his track record is proof he’s got good intentions. 

The comment you're quoting quite literally said they dont think hes responsible 

Him to this day following white supremacists makes his apologies look fake and his intentions questionable

Posted

Pewdiepie notoriously has a prominent alt right facet of his audience because he follows them on twitter

This a big reason why he was chosen

Let's not act like we don't know this 

Posted

Really OT: 

But how come no one ever mentions the shooter was active on 4chan and was playing a fucking meme song (Remove Kebab) during the massacre? 

Posted

I'm gonna set some things straight, i dont give a shit about pdp, i just knew him as the big youtuber who used to have kids for fans and now he's more of a memelord. You cant blame kylie jenner for people busting their lips on the stupid challenge, you cant blame the creator of pepe the frog because of disgusting alt righters trying to use the image, and of course of all, you cant blame islam/muslims for things like isis/911 because in the end extremists views and actions DO not represent the masses.  This person was lets all say it a TERRORIST. A right wing terrorist who is trying to incite fear, hatred and race wars because of disgusting ideals promoted by the right wing EXTREMISTS. I for one feel sickened by this ordeal, taking meme culture and using it as a weapon to try and distract from what it truly was, an act of terrorism and an act of extremist right wing bullshit. I'm gonna echo people by saying the thing to concentrate on is the victims, the masses i mentioned earlier who had nothing to do with this piece of shits manifesto, the people who were going about their daily lives....regardless of religion or race we all bleed red and deserve the same respect. God i hope they rot in jail for eternity for this gross act of hatred and violence, but I do think we need to look into these extremist boards like 8ch and the absolute abhorrent attitude that leads to these horrible things.

tl;dr dont blame the references, blame the perpetrator 

Posted

Really OT: 

But how come no one ever mentions the shooter was active on 4chan and was playing a fucking meme song (Remove Kebab) during the massacre? 

Oh people have mentioned 4chan a lot. 

The meme song I've seen like once mentioned but not named. Most that even address the internet thing mention it being full of internet memes and leave it at that though not even including the shooter using the Pewdiepie meme.  I guess as to not draw attention to it. 

Posted

Tbh it seriously reminds me of that one case when two girls attempted to murder their classmate in order to please Slenderman. People were only focusing on how Slenderman was at fault bc the girls said he was the reason they did it, but actually those girls were mentally ill and one of them (or both) suffered from shizophrenia and additionally didn't get the right treatment by their parents. If it wasn't Slenderman it might have been Jack the Ripper or anyone else because the girls already showed signs of not getting proper treatment and doing unreasonable things before. A meme or a creepypasta or a game won't automatically make someone's beliefs change fundamentally. Slenderman doesn't automatically make mentally healthy kids think they have to murder their classmates and the pdp meme won't make people automatically belief that nothing matters and turn them into shooters. I don't really know the condition the shooter was in but if it was been planned for more than 2 years I don't think that pdp can be blamed for what happened. As some of you said before if it wasn't pdp it would have been someone else who would have been named as influence. If he planned it for 2 years then there's more behind that then just a meme. I feel like that should be taken into consideration, that a meme or a game or whatsoever can't just change a person into a killer and that this person probably considered doing horrible things for a very very long time. I think only he is to blame for what he did. And as it was mentioned before he wanted to spread hate and get attention. He noticed how pdp's meme would get him as most attention as possible and took the opportunity. Since pdp is the #1 youtuber he probably only chose him because targeting him would make the biggest audience react to it. He's a truly horrible human being who tried to take or ruin as many people's lifes, and cause as much anger, conflict and hate as possible.