• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dealing with bullies, rude people etc on social media

8 posts in this topic

Posted

It came up on various snowflake's threads but I want to know; how the heck to deal with rude people on the internet? What is the right way? I'm talking about bullies (leaving unreasonable comments, stalking, talking bad), creeps (leaving sexualizing comments, stalking as well) and all that other kind of weirdos. I'm dealing with a huge problem recently of receiving very weird messages send by creeps. Sometimes I'm a little scared, they come back with a new account and get mad at me when I block them, not leaving me alone. How do you think is best to deal with this people? Just block and ignore? I'm really worried atm. I'm a cosplayer, so I'm not surprised creeps are messaging me. I just don't know how to deal with it. What are your experiences on social media? Have you ever met people there making you feel unsafe and how to deal with this kind of rude people?

Posted

I'm going to write you through PM. :alpacacrush:

Posted (edited)

Edited by fiend

Posted (edited)

While it is pretty difficult to ignore bullies and other sorts of rude people (Like in the thread I just wiped because I started to feel it was a really bad idea.), it really is the best to block them and ignore. And I mean it is hard to ignore them because it takes me a while to calm down to think and know it is the bestest option to ignore (My anxiety sometimes really does not help.). But, from my experiences, that is how it worked the best as someone who was relentlessly bullied in the past irl during middle school years. If you do react or respond to their comments, you are basically giving them what they exactly want, a reaction.

The only time you should really react is when they threaten to kill or do something really horrible to you, know where you exactly live (as in they know your address), doxx you or anything that would very likely require the law irl, which you should basically report both to the SNS and the local law enforcement. 

One way I coped with it is to talk about them privately through my close friends on skype as it helps me sort out my feelings, or just roll on doing things I really like or get bored and read something random.

I have dealt with a rather whiny kid (As in an actual kid) on tumblr who pestered me to talk to them many times when I told them no, so I ignored and blocked them on all places. Wish you the best!

Edited by Cagari

Posted

I think addressing bullying or harassment online is pretty tough depending on your circumstances. I would personally ignore it as addressing it can usually make the situation worse. However, not addressing it might be a sign to the perpetrators that you're "okay" with the harassment. Based on my own experiences, turning a blind eye and not giving toxic people my attention is usually effective. 

Posted

I would say the same or similar things that the others have said. I think it's better to block/report and ignore and then repeat the process since that's the most effective way to deal with toxic/creepy people so far. Usually other people will get tired of it and would soon leave you alone that's why ignoring them is another good reason to 'solve' the problem.

Posted

From my experience of being bullied at school & online, I've learned that it's not worth giving these people attention. That's what they want from you. Some people at my school always try to get things I say/do & use it against me. Ignoring what ignorant things these people say is the best thing you can do. Having comebacks to what these people say won't get them to stop bothering you. If someone is actually threatening you & hurting you, you should have an adult control the situation.

When you are getting cyberbullied it's important to know that what these people are saying is not true at all. If someone is constantly bothering you online you should block & report them. There's is reason why you have that option.

Usually people who bully are insecure with themselves or are envious of something you have.

Posted

I would say address it if someone didn't get their facts right on a situation, or there has been a misunderstanding over something. But if someone's just being a creep, or saying nasty, petty shit about you, block or ignore.