• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

General Koreaboo Thread

3199 posts in this topic

Posted

Sry to chime in, but saying they cut their hair to look like their oppas got me the wrong way. They could just be tomboys, or butches, or pre-transition trans men. Also, I live in a city where a lot of Asian companies have some facilities so there's plenty of Asians on business trips + simply Asian tourits because it's a pretty city and I feel guilty over even speaking to them because I fear that they will think I'm just into them because of kpop and I don't even really listen to it.

Hidden Content

The problem isn't that these people are trans, it's that they're skinwalkers. There are plenty of trans men and butch women with short hair who aren't trying to look like kpop idols. No one is forcing these people to copy BTS' hairstyles and fashion, squint in their selfies to imitate monolids, write their captions/tags in Korean etc.

OT but if you're scared to make friends with Asian people because you think they'll think you're a koreaboo, then don't be a koreaboo. Most Asian people don't give a shit that you listen to kpop as long as you're not cringey about it. As for what Asians think about trans people...that's an extremely broad question. Asia is not a monolith, it's a continent with 48 countries and 4.4 Billion people in it. Someone from Baghdad will probably have a different view on trans people than someone from Bangkok, who is likewise different than someone from Tokyo, who is again different from someone from California. And even then, it mostly depends on their age and their upbringing.

Posted (edited)

lol, these koreaboos do get this haircut and all of a sudden think they are korean now. that came from a korean person in her comments telling this person that.

shes obvioulsy white. just because you get your idols haircut dont make you asian. 

59A1DF2B-60B0-41C9-8F59-A0B26023E5A7.jpeg

9FAF1929-903F-4A14-AB50-E8B2603F5865.jpeg

Stuff like this is lowkey problematic. Asian guys already are perceived as "feminine" in the West, and these fetishizers are only making it worse. White girl squint her eyes and gets a bowl cut, and she's suddenly an Asian...guy? Make it sense. Especially since women get their hair cut like this over there too, and sometimes it's considered even more feminine (something about a girl looking good with short hair really bringing out her features - correct me if I’m wrong please).

Not to mention, being butch, pre-transition, or just liking the hairstyle is okay. But pretending and cosplaying as a real dude? Just rubs me the wrong way. 

Edited by ZapGold

Posted

Sometimes the tone in this thread is so aggressive towards any white person interested in Korea, it even slightly makes me feel learning the language and doing an exchange.

There is so much hate

Posted

Sometimes the tone in this thread is so aggressive towards any white person interested in Korea, it even slightly makes me feel learning the language and doing an exchange.

There is so much hate

being a white person myself, I dont really see this. Koreaboos are not just any white person interested in Korea. They take everything to the extreme, to the point of wanting to give up their white existence to go to Korea. Everything they care about is about Korea and they're obnoxiously fetishist too.

This thread points out and discusses their problematic behaviour. A lot of them happen to be white (not all of them are, btw)

Posted

There is so much hate

i didn't get that vibe...at least from this thread, i'm sorry you did tho, that's def not our intention? i mean, the point is to call out people that are koreaboos for real, who fetishize the entire country and it's people simply cause they like the pop culture, and only a small part of it for that matter...i think it was even stated so multiple times in the thread :) 

like, i for one got interested in learning korean once i got interested in korean pop music...it's easier to learn a language when you immerse yourself in it in whatever way, nothing wrong with that. 

but people here drag usually white people who pretend to be asian/part asian for clout. 

being a white person myself, I dont really see this. Koreaboos are not just any white person interested in Korea. They take everything to the extreme, to the point of wanting to give up their white existence to go to Korea. Everything they care about is about Korea and they're obnoxiously fetishist too.

This thread points out and discusses their problematic behaviour. A lot of them happen to be white (not all of them are, btw)

kmusicandblackwomen has her own thread...the got7 twins too...a lot of asian kboos as well...

anyway, no one will mind if you legit like the culture, language, pop culture, food or w/e as long as you're not being weird and creepy about it, like these people are. :alpacacrush:

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I feel like most people, especially nowadays are interested in other countries/cultures/languages because of pop culture and I don't see what the problem is. It's only problematic in my opinion when you don't attempt to get to know them for who they really are and base their characteristics off of how you see them acting in a song/video/movie, or when you denounce you own race/heritage and try to force yourself into theirs or want to be around them only because you want to say "Hey I have a friend/significant other from _____!"

If you're white, don't take as as a personal attack/get insecure when people say "white people____Korea" especially if you're aware of why you appreciate the country and the people and there's nothing to gain personally on your end.

I think the reason the white ones get called out more is because they are the more popular ones. Basically if you're white and semi-good looking or into something "non stereo-typically white" somehow people are impressed and give them that attention and free pass to be an idiot so it's easier for them to get followers on platforms like IG, etc. They can also play up and change their features more than other races can. It helps them become more "exotic" or so they say.

Basically, I agree with @vader_chan

Edited by joohonie

Posted

Lets be real though. Most non-asian aspiring "k-pop artists" go to korea to become a uwu kawaii popstar because they either think/deluded themselves the lifestyle is glamorous and cool with all the frilly tennis skirts, k-beauty, fashion, "Dr kim plastic surgery perks," and/or they think get to live in korea with chances of meeting their oppas from exo or BTS kek.

:harharplz: 

Does anyone know that EXP group with all the foreign dudes who are trying to make it in Korea as an idol group.... are they still active?

Posted

Does anyone know that EXP group with all the foreign dudes who are trying to make it in Korea as an idol group.... are they still active?

They have no money because the lady who "created" them did it as a college project and only received enough money to support them for a year or two. They can only afford a comeback a year, but they can't really pay any good producers, lyricists, or choreographers, so the quality of what they're putting out is so low that most music shows didn't post their performances on youtube during their last comeback. Kinda sad for them but that's the reality of the industry for nugus, white or not. 

Posted

for me, americans trying to break into kpop just feels like....but y tho?

like its so much effort to move to another country and learn to speak a different language when you have an immensely popular/internationally loved music industry in america (sorry but jpop and cpop might be loved by some around the world, but its nowhere near as powerful as american and korean music industries, which also bring in a lot of cash....hence why you have all these chinese/japanese/thai idols + as mentioned above the benefit to the companies of breaking into that market, its a win win). if you become a pop star in america you can become famous but not have all the time spent learning another language/learning stuff like how to act on tv and have a persona that is received well in korea 

idk to me its just like....so much time and effort for a teeny tiny nonexistent chance you will be successful

but honestly if shes like actually properly learning korean/working hard then good for her, maybe she can change the industry. better than the americans who announced they were breaking into kpop but sang terribly in korean and clearly didnt know any at all and just wanted the attention 

i think its because they want to be admired by korean people

Posted (edited)

what do you think about this?

Edited by ShapiroTheory

Posted

That's going in some koreaboo cringe compilation for sure lmao. 

Why is she rapping in Korean though? Does she have any connection to South Korea, like wha?

This song is so bad though. The beat is unoriginal, her voice is monotone and irritating, "it's miri jay ya ya ya ya" Jesus fuck how unoriginal but she could have pulled it off if she wasn't so monotone ughh...

Posted

There is so much hate

if you legitimately want to learn the language and do an exchange that's great.

we're calling out problematic kboos, not people who are genuinely interested in the culture/language/etc.

thank u, next.

Posted

I don't wanna be the one pointing out the obvious, but where tf is her rhythm? Her lines are all over the place.

Posted (edited)

In the meantime, I am sorry to bring out this topic again, and yet as I noticed for the last several months, it seems that there generally appeared a strange concept among Koreaboos that "North Koreans and South Koreans are ethnically different groups of people." :|

I must have mentioned the first example of this phenomenon I saw in real-life back in August or something, and before 2018 ended, I saw two more different persons with a Kboo propensity believing this same thing - "North Koreans and South Koreans are ethnically different groups of people."

I mean, one might claim that they are not being 100% nonsensical as there does exist a slippery slope between a regional identity and an ethnic identity, but the real problem with this phenomenon is that these Koreaboos with this specific belief hold this belief primarily in order to talk trash against North Korean people as if they are a sort of "sub-Koreans." This is an outrage against people who are already suffering from so much, and should not happen regardless of what the North Korean politicians do (the ones who do not even experience direct elections).

In addition, are they even aware that quite a huge portion of their oppas actually have grandparents from the North? As Busan was once mentioned in this thread last month, one of the reasons why Busan became so populated was because so many Northerners came down to Busan after the panic that they might be strained in "collective farms." According to their own logic, does it mean their oppas were actually "sub-Korean"?

Edited by May Prince