• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

ACNE Help & Questions

73 posts in this topic

Posted

@totemoyumii Thanks for the list of products, I'll have to try them out soon, provided they're not super expensive. When I say dry/oily, my skin is very oily, and it doesn't take long for it to get that way after using a cleanser. It gets pretty bad overnight, even when I use oil control lotions. Where my skin is oily is mostly my nose and nowhere else. If it's a really hot day my chin and forehead might get shiny too, but my nose is the main concern. I find that after using Cetaphil cleansers that are made for oily and acne-prone skin, my skin flakes, namely on my forehead and a little under my eyes, and it makes it difficult to use make up after that. Moisturisers that are for my combination skin are virtually impossible to find, as they just make my skin even more oily. :amgplz:

No problem! I would prob not use those cleansers...they sound like they are harsh and stripping your skin/causing more oil/flakes. I would use a gentle cleanser (you could try Hada Labo Foaming cleanser, it's around 10-12 bucks and I love it). A simple/cheap routine you could try is something like this:

Oil Cleanser- Kose SOFTYMO Cleansing Oil (11$) NIGHT ONLY/TO REMOVE MAKEUP/SUNCREEN

Face Wash-  Rohto Hadalabo Gokujyn Hyaluronic AcidCleanser (10$)

Toner - Rohto Hadalabo Gokujyn Hyaluronic Acid Lotion (moist) (14$)

Essence- Benton Snail Bee Essence (11$)

Moisturizer- CosRX Aloe Vera Oil-Free Moisture Cream (11$)

Sunscreen- Biore Watery essence (9$)

You could also just use a powder on the more oily  parts of your face to control shine ( I like the ELF HD powder, 6$, It's cheap and it has a "blurring" effect which minimizes the look of pores/soaks up oil).

Oil cleanser removes sunscreen and makeup without irritation, face wash is gentle and non stripping (less flaky skin) but leaves you clean, the toner provides some very light moisture (flaky/reduces oil long term), Essence can help with acne/light moisture/soothes your skin, the moisturizer is oil free and very light gel texture and is good for oily skin/acne prone skin. If you feel like you need MORE moisture I would apply a heavier moisturizer on the areas you feel are drier (for example, I apply Mizon Returning Starfish Cream only to the tip of my nose/forehead since it is very dry there compared to the rest of my face).

Has anyone had a retinoid treatment here? I struggle with an ugly acne since a few years... I've visited dermatologist many times and used lots of antibiotics, none of them work and it's getting worse and worse even though I keep healthy diet and lifestyle :alpacaworry2: I heard retinoids are very effective, what are your thoughts and experiences?

I highly recommend retinoids! I used Tretinoin (prescribed by dermatologist) and It cleared up all of my cystic acne after a few months of use. It is also good for clearing dark pigmentations/scars, for anti aging properties, and just overall skin improvement. Just make sure to use sunscreen while using these sort of products.

Posted

I highly recommend retinoids! I used Tretinoin (prescribed by dermatologist) and It cleared up all of my cystic acne after a few months of use. It is also good for clearing dark pigmentations/scars, for anti aging properties, and just overall skin improvement. Just make sure to use sunscreen while using these sort of products.

Is it prescription only?

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, soo there's been some new developments with my skin and I wanted to add something to the forum I think will help out a lot of people with oily/combination skin like mine. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this product before but if they have then this is kind of my review of it I guess!

I've suffered from acne since grade 7 and I am now 20, and it is a LOT better now thanks to changing my diet and my hormones calming down, but I still get a few persistent spots around my period, and have a lot of enlarged and red pores from the days when my acne was more severe. I stayed away from cleansers and creams for years because many of the acids in them hurt my sensitive skin. My acne slowly got better over time without them, but I still had the one or two persistent spots and slow-healing skin, as well as large pores.  

So recently I decided to break my vow to never use skin care products again (other than gentle soap) after my sister, who also suffers from acne, recommended the Yves Rocher skincare line to me, specifically the sebo vegetal skincare line which is meant for people who have combination skin that is difficult to treat. I only use the purifying cleanser at night and then use the zero blemish gel cream stuff in the morning and before bed - and holy shit, this stuff is amazing!

ttp://www.yvesrocher.ca/control/product/~category_id=1720/~pcategory=1000/~product_id=10268?cmSrc=Category this stuff right here. 

The cream is sooo gentle, nothing like any other skincare products i've used. Afterward my skin feels soft, fresh and smooth, not that dry exfoliating feeling i'm used to. It takes a few weeks for so to start working (or at least it did for me), but the results are SO WORTH IT. It doesn't keep acne at bay completely, I still get a few little spots here and there, but it helps them heal a lot faster and keeps your skin very smooth, so the pimples I do get now never get big and inflamed and go away pretty quick. All of my enlarged pores by my nose have disappeared, and the overall look and feel of my skin is a lot healthier. 

But yeah, this is the only product I've used in years when it came to skincare other than soap. I gave up on it for a while because my sensitive skin was so easily damaged. But this stuff works amazingly and is so gentle on the skin. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone that has problematic skin like mine. Plus it smells incredible. :)

Edited by Veevee

Posted

You guys recommended face sheets, right? I bought a Tonymoly one (aloe) to try it out. How often do you guys recommend? Should I try like, once a week or something since I use a topical medication?

Posted (edited)

I don't know if anyone's posted something about this but here goes:

I had acne ever since I was like 12 yrs old and I'm 18 now and it's still here. It's not as severe as before but yeah ... its still here. My dermatologist told me that I shouldn't use any Make-Up to cover it up but that was a No-Go for me, haha ... So I covered up my face in foundations and stuff all the time. 

Of course, the acne got worse but I didn't want to stop covering it because I hated looking at myself without covering those nasty spots up. So, about a month ago, I started testing some various,  make-up brands out. Conclusion:

Guys, please don't use cheap Make-Up.  

seriously, I used to apply the cheapest Make-Up one could find because I was hella broke and didn't pay much thought to it. I have a oily/dry skin and using that cheap make-up made it much more horrible and clogged my pores and that led to my acne getting worse and worse. So I opted for better make-up, which was like 3x more expensive but holy hell, it's worth it. 
I've been using it for one month and I can really feel how my skin can actually breathe again ( never thought that was possible while wearing make-up ) and the acne hat really gotten better!  

so yeah, i think it should be clear not to use any cheap products on your face but hEY, maybe this is helpful for someone, especially with the same skin type as me. the best thing, of course, is not wearing make up at all, but come on...  (again, if some tips about make up have been posted here already, im sorry! i just wanted to share my personal experience with you) 

also, i have pretty ugly looking scars on my face from popping... does anyone have tips on that? i don't think i saw anything on here about this. 

Edited by schweety

Posted (edited)

I used to have horrible face after I graduated from high school years ago, it was so bad that was not even a 1 cm space between each acne, I got ditched by someone and friends as well, it went horribad but,

Now my skin is flawless. By flawless I really mean not even a white bump or pimple or scars. I don't even use anything sometimes, I use only water to wash my face. Girls asked me what I used, and I had to say, I used nothing most of the times, or just face masks sometimes whenever I feel like it, or moisturiser once a week or none at all.

I'll skim it down so it's easier to know what to do.

1. Don't use put on too much things on face, many moisturisers that has crazy abundance of properties, serum, etc.
It helped me A LOT just by using these,
Cleanser, Toner, Moisturiser and serum for troubled skin. (Acne)

NO MORE THAN 3-4 steps or items. Any more, it will be difficult!

2. Use cleanser RIGHT after waking up to get rid of that piled up nasty stuff face while sleeping, especially, oil.

3. Use cleanser 2 times a day, 12 hours apart. That means if you cleanse at 9 in the morning, cleanse again at 9 for night time.

4. If your face feels uncomfortable before you get to wash on the next, dab some toner onto your face to fix and balance the oiliness. If you're using tissues, please use FACIAL tissues.

5. After cleansing make sure you use Toner, and moisturiser. The reason why face becomes oily it's because the skin is trying to balance the natural oil on face. Oily face is actually the outcome from having dry face. But using too much moisturiser will just make your face more oily, so find something that absorbs quickly.

Note: The less and simpler you use for your routine, the better your skin will be and the easier it will be to take care and keep up as a routine.

What's on face has to do with things that you eat. Not only by touching with dirty hands can cause acne, but also hormone and eating habit.

Getting white bumps on your face and small acne means you lack a certain Vitamin B. To get less scars take Vitamin C and Collagen.
Topical vitamin C is alright too. To improve acne and get them less is to take Zinc.

Drink more water.
Sleep early.

It's that simple to get nice skin. Do Routine Religiously.

P.S. If you want it to be a bit quicker, visit dermatologist, make sure to take care religiously, and do peeling. Light chemical peel is good too. Your face would be hell red though at first.

Edited by Detective.Oreki
Added information.

Posted

My skin is not perfect, but it's getting better so I thought I would throw in what helped me a bit. I have never been able to 'cure' or completely get rid of my acne. I'm not super knowledgeable though- these are changes I've made/products I've used that have resulted in improved acne.

I've had acne since I can remember. I also have uneven skin tone/texture, redness, large pores and combination skin. By combination skin I mean my skin can have dry flakes and be super oily at the same time. I'm very sensitive to products. A lot of these have been mentioned before.

• What got me started on better skin was Paula's choice. I use their Clear skin line- I actually buy the trial kit for $13 and it lasts me for a few weeks. The products are nice and come in regular strength and extra strength. More than that, I think getting in and sticking with a routine. I have excellent results from this line.
  • I know everyone says it, but drinking a lot of water and getting enough sleep really helps. 
  • My hormones caused a lot of my acne. My hormones are out of whack. I also had a TON of acne all over my jawline and my doctor attributed it to how out of balance my hormones are. I've been taking a medication called Aldactone for about 7-8 months now. It's not a cure all, but I've noticed that the jaw acne is now almost non existent. 
  • Getting in a routine and sticking with it. Patience is something I had to learn with skincare. I'm a skincare product junkie. It's embarrassing how much money I spend on skincare/ make up. I love new products. Making myself stick with what works and giving products the time they need to work is tough for me, but it helps. If I don't see instant results, I get discouraged so I had to learn to be patient.
  • Olive oil is amazing for my skin. I highly prefer it to coconut oil. Coconut oil unfortunately causes break outs with my skin. Olive oil does not. 
  • I make sure to moisturize. When I was younger, I would slack on this. My skin was so oily that putting Olive Oil on my skin or using a moisturizer twice a day was not something I was willing to do. Now, keeping it moist has helped keep my skin in line, cut down the oil my skin needs to produce and has kept my acne at bay. 
  • I don't over exfoliate. I wasn't super nice to my skin. I thought scrubbing and exfoliating a lot would help it out. In the long run, it caused more redness and more break outs. 
  • When I have a bad break out raw honey masks do wonders for me. I typically just buy raw honey from the farmers market and apply it to my face gently. 
  • While I'm currently changing my skincare products to a different routine to address different skin needs, Ole Henriksen's products worked well for me. Their 3 Little Wonders in particular really helped my skin and kept break outs mostly at bay.

I'm sorry this is so long, acne has been a huge problem for me. I have tried hundreds of products/suggestions with no/bad results and I'm thankful I finally am getting it under control. 

Posted

I used to have very bad acne when I stopped using the birth control pill. That was 1 and a half year ago if I remember right. 

But not only that, a very bad diet and wrong skin products made it even worse. It started to get better when I changed my diet and after I went to the dentist to get a professional teeth cleaning. But my hormones seems to be bitches so a few more months I got particularly break outs on my cheeks with those small pimples, lots of those skin under deposits (sorry, I don't know how to say the right word in English.... But they were sitting extremely deep). Plus there were this big red and painful pimples popping up. Usually also sitting very deep. I got them on my throat, backside on my neck and even the back and chest. That usually happened around ovulation. 

Then since around 3 months ago, I started to clean my face with natural soap(no manufactured knew you get in stores). My skin got slightly better and after using Shea butter it felt great an soft. But still got those small break outs which lead to scars. 

Now my skin is magically clearing up since I use Aleppo soap every single day combined with Shea butter and nothing else. Even on my back and chest, there are no noticeable break outs. My skin is as soft as it never was before. 

I can finally use my fruit acid peeling again because I have no open wounds on my face. So the scars are slightly lightening up and fading more and more. 

I also have to say, that my diet is completely gluten free since I'm intolerant and I don't eat any meat. Just fresh veggies, no fast food and fish twice a week or so. But the main point for me really is the cleaning with Aleppo soap and no chemicals. 

Posted

Hey guys, maybe this is unnecessary but if your dermatologist suggests Acutane please only use it as a last resort. If this has been mentioned I apologize, but since I just got off the pill I can say it's something you should avoid. I know some people have had better experiences with it, but right now I weight ~110pounds and I'm at risk of a heart attack because of it.

For me, regular face wash and diets never worked and I ended up having to use the pill as a last resort (birth control had worked but then I lost a ton of weight so we had to try something else). So my doctor suggested acutane, which if you look up its side effects you can see it's pretty bad just from that.

But, problems aside, let me tell you now that my face is clear as can be. I haven't had a break out in the month I've been off of it. However, I think part of that is because I've discovered Cetaphil (which is suuuper cheap) really works for my sensitive skin so I 10/10 recommend if you have bad acne and haven't tried that yet!

I think that a good diet / finding a face wash that works for you really works wonders and maybe this post of mine really is unneeded but I can talk about my acne horrors with acutane for days. 

Posted

Hey guys, maybe this is unnecessary but if your dermatologist suggests Acutane please only use it as a last resort. If this has been mentioned I apologize, but since I just got off the pill I can say it's something you should avoid. I know some people have had better experiences with it, but right now I weight ~110pounds and I'm at risk of a heart attack because of it.

For me, regular face wash and diets never worked and I ended up having to use the pill as a last resort (birth control had worked but then I lost a ton of weight so we had to try something else). So my doctor suggested acutane, which if you look up its side effects you can see it's pretty bad just from that.

But, problems aside, let me tell you now that my face is clear as can be. I haven't had a break out in the month I've been off of it. However, I think part of that is because I've discovered Cetaphil (which is suuuper cheap) really works for my sensitive skin so I 10/10 recommend if you have bad acne and haven't tried that yet!

I think that a good diet / finding a face wash that works for you really works wonders and maybe this post of mine really is unneeded but I can talk about my acne horrors with acutane for days. 

Cetaphil is really amazing! I started using it too and I'm very happy with it :alpacalove:

Posted (edited)

The main reason to pamper our skin is to make sure that it breathes freely and just to add an extra lightful tone to our skin its necessary to take proper care of our skin and genuinely use the correct products to make skin rejuvenate. Acne is just so irritating at time. I need proper care.

Edited by elainemartinez
spelling mistake

Posted

Also! If anyone's looking for some more natural solutions, tea tree oil is a must have. It's used on both acne/wounds/cuts. It's not hard to find, I got my bottle at target. I tend to put it on after washing my face/before moisturizing. Masks do wonders as well, Lush for example has amazing all natural, vegan masks. Their Don't Look At Me mask is supposed to be the best for acne prone skin. (Lush in general has some reallyyyy nice cleansers, toners, masks, and face lotions. They're amazing, but it gets pricey if you're purchasing it all at once.) Lush is definitely worth the investment.

A cheap, DIY mask for home though is the aspirin mask! I used to do it quite often when my acne was at it's worst a few years ago, it takes away redness pretty quickly. I'll link it here at risk of making this post any longer.

Posted (edited)

So I had bad ache as a teen and afterwards I had pretty bad dark spots leftover because I would not leave my acne alone properly. To help fix my now acne free skin of blemishes I started researching and found Murad post-acne spot lightener. It has worked amazing for my skin. It retails at about 60 but you can find it on ebay for about 40 and one bottle can last a few months. Wash your face before bed and put a thin coat on your face and then sleep! I believe it works on all skin colors. So for those of you now with less acne, I'd totally suggest this product to try, it will also take a month to show results but keep with it!   

Edit!

I also put a thin layer from my face to my neck which also helped even out my skin tone to one-ish color. My neck was always darker than my face and chest and using Murad helped correct my color drastically!

Edited by Paki

Posted

I only skimmed through the thread so I don't know if you guys answered anything about blackheads because I have a terrible outbreak of them on my nose. 

I do wash my face at least once a day so I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions to get rid of then. (It doesn't have to be immediate since I know those don't just disappear over night.)

Posted

Can't remember exactly who said it but indeed know your skin type and what type of acne you have. 

Sadly none of the advice on here could remotely help me as my acne is caused my having extremely oily skin. ( no really, I sparkle more then a twilight Vampire in the sunlight.) AND NOTHING could stop my oils.. Not even 6 months of Accutane. ( my skin is extremely stubborn and my derm thinks its funny )  

( Retin A cream btw is the satan's butt hole and just wrecks your skin ¬¬ )

Dermatologist are a hit and a miss, why ? Because they will essentially prescribe and give the same advice as a regular GP until you've successfully tried everything for 3 months + and failed. ( of course this depends on your acne type, cystic is straight to potent stuff ) If its just bad acne they will put you thru everything ... and I mean everything ( diet change, organic treatments, drug store products,Prescriptions from GP  ect ) and if after all that your acne persist they will then discuss with you if you want to try something much stronger ( accutane, retin A, chemical Peels ect ). 

For those who may be thinking about accutane as a last hope be prepared for hell.