• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

Unpopular opinions

9761 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm adding another screenshot just for full context,

Screencap1.thumb.png.3dafe40f0d7a992c51f

I've been running the site for nearly four years. Please, let's not go on a holy crusade against me, I've put a lot of work in.

I'm sorry, Pusheen, for glazing over your family member, as we just talked about in DMs. I completely missed it and when I came back with "blugh" I just came back to talk after you made a post talking about me on PULL. That'd never be an appropriate response to what you said. However, I don't think that specific drama is really appropriate here, this didn't need to become a public matter over a private issue. 

Around something like September? October? I dropped the ball for a few months and wasn't around at all, Pusheen basically fielded everything. I'm really sorry that caused trouble, I should have looked for more mods, been more communicative, literally anything, there's not much excuse, I was emotionally exhausted. Pusheen made a post bashing me, I talked to her about it and thought we talked through everything.

She gathered a group of some users to develop a new site, I said I'd be fine with that and would give them whatever info they needed.

I never asked for free work or rushed anyone, I was approached with their plans of making their own offshoot and I was fine with that, I only asked for sporadic updates so I'd know for how much longer I'd be paying the exorbitant hosting bill or if I'd have to start looking for new staff for my forum in the meantime. I offered all the help I could think of, including the "official" domain so they could get all of our traffic directed to their new site and make the most of it, while leaving them alone about any decisions and choices because I knew that wasn't my place.

I think there was some understandable, directed vitriol against me in that group, so I think everything I've said to any of those team members has been nitpicked by all of them. My mod who helps with a lot of tech work, Rhea, offered to set up the entire forum for them, ready to launch, with hosting and tech support and hand it over for them to do with as they please, they turned that down. 

Basically, I waited for some time, they kept working on the site. I haven't stifled any of their progress and offered to give them whatever they wanted, I've pretty much only waited. I don't think this came off as rushing anyone or asking for free work. No one ever really approached me directly about things, everything has been weird and through the grapevine.

screencap2.thumb.png.214c2bd18840eafda6f

screencap3.thumb.png.cb7826805a0ee444194

screencap4.thumb.png.0ef35a1e6b61af407ca

Screencap5.thumb.png.1bcbce2b54953666456

Posted

Well, I guess sometimes we need to feed our pull lolcow thread some milk too lmao

Posted

Hey hi, actually 2 out of the 3 people you've just tagged have been working hard on the new version of PULL since the beginning of January

Which I know because I'd be an admin there, along with Pusheen who's been one of the two active mods on this site during the past year

So thank you for your input, but we're aware of what it means to be a mod and what's going on behind the scenes (which, judging by your contradicting replies, you actually weren't)

A draft version of the new site has been up for months. We've gathered a team, archived threads, contacted a web developer, were in the process of reworking forum rules and terms of use with the help of a lawyer (so the site actually complies with data protection guidelines, unlike this one), restructuring the overall layout and creating designs.

Unfortunately covid made us lose our irl jobs one after the other, and while we were pretty much bending over backwards to still make the new forum happen, our financial situation made it impossible, and months' worth of time, energy and actual money went down the drain with it

We were still ready to cooperate with Nyx (who admittedly wants out) and try to fix some of PULL's current issues in the meantime, but her habit of disappearing and her general behaviour made us give up on that.

-

For anyone else interested: the site has been a disorganised garbage island for over a year now. Nyx and Rhea have disappeared for months at times, and the site went down regularly due to the server bill not being paid.

Mods couldn't do their job as they had basically jackshit control over anything and weren't able to contact the admins either, so they slowly jumped ship along with many long-time users who got fed up with the poor management.

People started calling out the admins both here and on the discord, asking them to transfer ownership if they can't look after PULL anymore for whatever reason. And after finding out some of us had started archiving threads and preparing for the site possibly shutting down, they've reached out to Pusheen to pass down the forum.

Turns out the forum has been barely maintained for years now (our source being the one and only Biscuit here). Which means no account or even one single post can be deleted without the site crashing down. This means 1. paying hefty server bills for basically storing trash 2. the forum is currently operating illegally, as it goes against data protection laws, and anyone who ever had an account here could sue us on this basis. Nyx herself said that she has to deal with legal issues all the time, which means only slightly shady server hosts are willing to deal with PULL to begin with.

So we figured the only reasonable thing to do at this point is to move the site to an entirely new platform, which has been in the making for months as I stated above, and we've made surprisingly good progress until the current pandemic decided to kick us in the figurative balls. So that's it, that's the story.

Since Nyx refused to give us any kind of control over the site while she's the one paying, and we have no other means to scrape up the shit here, we haven't come to a conclusion, and we've all gradually lost interest in PULL cause it's just not enjoyable anymore. So yep, I guess we are leaving (some of us, like Lopunny and Cyrillic already did)

Thanks, Rhea for offering your help though. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me here or on the discord. And yeah, we've saved all the progress we could, so in case we ever want to deal with managing a gossip forum in the future, we won't be starting from scratch.

What do you think about placing ads on the top and bottom of the page? I know it's annoying but it may cover the bills and maybe keep you guys motivated in running this forum. 

Posted

What do you think about placing ads on the top and bottom of the page? I know it's annoying but it may cover the bills and maybe keep you guys motivated in running this forum. 

I've always been pretty against adding ads to the site just because they're clunky and ugly and I'd sacrifice the cost to myself for the increased user experience, honestly. 

Posted

A draft version of the new site has been up for months. We've gathered a team, archived threads, contacted a web developer, were in the process of reworking forum rules and terms of use with the help of a lawyer (so the site actually complies with data protection guidelines, unlike this one), restructuring the overall layout and creating designs.

Unfortunately covid made us lose our irl jobs one after the other, and while we were pretty much bending over backwards to still make the new forum happen, our financial situation made it impossible, and months' worth of time, energy and actual money went down the drain with it

this actually sucks, im so sorry to hear that 

Posted

can you name some alternatives?

Some alternatives are: https://saidit.net/ Ruqqus has to have an invite I think so here's mine: https://ruqqus.com/signup?ref=gir30

https://steemit.com/ and https://talksub.com/

the overall legal age should be raised to 21, 18 year olds are still fucking stupid tbh 

I agree, but a year below. Chronologically, you're a young adult at 20. Wikipedia says adolescence starts at 10 (preteen)- 19 (teenager).

Posted

Is it just me or do AP kids (advanced placement kids, some states call it differently so that's why im clarifying) constantly gotta show off they take AP just so they can make it a personality trait? Maybe its just me but most AP kids I know are so snobby and only associate with other AP kids. I took it but I didn't take it again my next year bc a lot of the students in AP are so toxic and privileged. 

Also it's really annoying that they have to announce it every day to remind everyone. 

Another opinion on this is that I don't think it's going to get you THAT much ahead of non AP kids when you apply to college, if anything I don't think AP does much for you other than to show off how "smart you are". Idk maybe I'm spewing bs but if anyone disagrees, please respectfully tell me why I'm wrong :) oh yeah not sure how this thread works or the rules so sorry if this post isn't right for this thread lol I usually post on like 1 or 2 threads only.

Posted (edited)

This honestly makes me so sad.

Screenshot_2020-05-16_180639.jpg

Screenshot_2020-05-16_180643.jpg

Screenshot_2020-05-16_180659.jpg

Screenshot_2020-05-16_180712.jpg

Edited by Bloemkool

Posted (edited)

Is it just me or do AP kids (advanced placement kids, some states call it differently so that's why im clarifying) constantly gotta show off they take AP just so they can make it a personality trait? Maybe its just me but most AP kids I know are so snobby and only associate with other AP kids. I took it but I didn't take it again my next year bc a lot of the students in AP are so toxic and privileged. 

Also it's really annoying that they have to announce it every day to remind everyone. 

Another opinion on this is that I don't think it's going to get you THAT much ahead of non AP kids when you apply to college, if anything I don't think AP does much for you other than to show off how "smart you are". Idk maybe I'm spewing bs but if anyone disagrees, please respectfully tell me why I'm wrong :) oh yeah not sure how this thread works or the rules so sorry if this post isn't right for this thread lol I usually post on like 1 or 2 threads only.

Ikrrrrrrrr, a lot of AP I know are kinda condescendingly shitty bootlickers. Some of them were basically defending College Board's decision to go online and the other massively shitty things they have done. My issues with College Board include:

- College Board basically gave no shits to the students who said they do NOT have access to internet at home

- When people were voicing their complaints about how they couldn't submit their test answers on the online test, so CB made them have to retake the test in June.

- When they gave everyone a half-assed test for $100 USD each test at full price. Didn't even bother giving some money back. This means that those who spent money on multiple tests were basically ripped off.

- The fact that they call themselves non-profit when there's plenty of receipts flying around online proving that they aren't. Not to mention they're basically a monopoly on the US education system. One of the sources like this one source kinda explains it all.

- They created an account on Reddit and Twitter with the user "Dinosauce313" and tried to trick people into cheating on the test but failed because everyone could see through the bullshit. || Here's another source containing a compilation of all their shit.

- They collect info from students so they can sell them to advertising companies. || Btw they might be in a lawsuit for doing this

College Board is lucky that I'm graduating this year, because there is no fucking way I'm supporting them after this fiasco. I'd rather take dual enrollment and take classes at a *real* college than give it to some companty that basically exploits teens into giving them money in hopes that they pass. Not only that, but some of the classes are half-assed so you have to spend more money on prep books or tutors to accommodate the class since the classes themselves aren't enough. If you are a student from a low-income household or can't afford any of that stuff, the chances of passing are lower, giving students from upper-income households to have a higher advantage. And don't even get me started on some allegations of how they're recording students on the online exams without their consent. Basically, they're recording minors. Idk if this is true or not but either way, I no longer want to support this batshit sketchy company.

Edited by trashpedia

Posted

Ikrrrrrrrr, a lot of AP I know are kinda condescendingly shitty bootlickers. Some of them were basically defending College Board's decision to go online and the other massively shitty things they have done. My issues with College Board include:

- College Board basically gave no shits to the students who said they do NOT have access to internet at home

- When people were voicing their complaints about how they couldn't submit their test answers on the online test, so CB made them have to retake the test in June.

- When they gave everyone a half-assed test for $100 USD each test at full price. Didn't even bother giving some money back. This means that those who spent money on multiple tests were basically ripped off.

- The fact that they call themselves non-profit when there's plenty of receipts flying around online proving that they aren't. Not to mention they're basically a monopoly on the US education system. One of the sources like this one source kinda explains it all.

- They created an account on Reddit and Twitter with the user "Dinosauce313" and tried to trick people into cheating on the test but failed because everyone could see through the bullshit. || Here's another source containing a compilation of all their shit.

- They collect info from students so they can sell them to advertising companies. || Btw they might be in a lawsuit for doing this

College Board is lucky that I'm graduating this year, because there is no fucking way I'm supporting them after this fiasco. I'd rather take dual enrollment and take classes at a *real* college than give it to some companty that basically exploits teens into giving them money in hopes that they pass. Not only that, but some of the classes are half-assed so you have to spend more money on prep books or tutors to accommodate the class since the classes themselves aren't enough. If you are a student from a low-income household or can't afford any of that stuff, the chances of passing are lower, giving students from upper-income households to have a higher advantage. And don't even get me started on some allegations of how they're recording students on the online exams without their consent. Basically, they're recording minors. Idk if this is true or not but either way, I no longer want to support this batshit sketchy company.

Holllly shit! Didn't know about THAT lol. These AP kids are being ripped off but act all snooty bc they think that paying $100 on a test makes them better than us.

Posted (edited)

- "Tagging" things has lost its original intention.

If you use the internet, you're bound to see someone need a word tagged. It's hard to not see one.

Tagging was meant for PTSD victims, such as I,  to prevent flashbacks or anything that could trigger them. 'Special Snowflakes' now use them to tag words that offend them, even though the smallest word, such as "fanboy and chum chum" [that is a REAL TAG, which I've seen with my own eyes] can 'trigger' people.

I've reached  the point where I just don't want to tag anything? I used to do so, with words such as "needles" or "blood" but I'm urged not to do so anymore.

If you're bound to get 'triggered' by a word that shouldn't be seen as that way, it's time you talk to a therapist. Not everyone has to bend and break to fit your needs. 

My PTSD has gotten better, where I don't mind seeing certain words, but if someone links a video to me that has loud noises or alarms in it, I need them tagged, or I need a warning beforehand. 

I'm known to be nice and approachable but I'm about to crack and just not tag shit anymore lmfao

Edited by Priest

Posted

Last Holiday is one of the best movies ever, I dont know why its so underrated

Posted

I used to piss off others by talking about IB (International Baccalaureate). My school only did AP and not IB, but they would brag about it all the time, so I would say something like: "IB has tests that have 1-7 while AP classes have tests 1-5". I would talk about that taking AP classes doesn't make you smarter than everyone else, and I'd ask some moron bragging about taking 5 AP classes that one IB class costs $300 while Him taking 4 AP classes would cost him $400 dollars. I asked him if he would take that class, and he said no. I was thinking "Why the hell would you take 4 AP classes versus one IB class?" IB is harder than AP, but I (I know this is weird) would do AP Calc AB and IB Math Diploma SL worksheets for fun, and they were challenging (unlike my math class at the time). IB is known to be much harder than AP, but I did take one AP class, and got a 3 on the test. Of course some arsehole said the AP class I took wasn't a "real AP" class. Elitism at the finest. Also, some idiot took an AP language class, did her damn writing in Spanish, yet the teacher graded it a 92. WTF? It's a fecking English class not Spanish. Yet when I called her out one time, she gave the excuse "aT lEaSt I hAvE mY sHiT tOgEtHeR" Like yeah right twatter, you don't because you're part of Gen Z, and we're either very young adults, teenagers, or preteens. She also doesn't realise that I was born three fucking months early and had a lot of health issues since then. I'm not in poor health, but I just had been diagnosed with a crap ton of things ever since I was born. Oh boy, I don't want to write it all though. The only years of igens that probably have their shit together is probably those born in 1995-1998. 1999-2009 probably don't.

Holllly shit! Didn't know about THAT lol. These AP kids are being ripped off but act all snooty bc they think that paying $100 on a test makes them better than us.

IB rips you off more lel. It costs $300 per test. Imagine taking both AP and IB, and getting 1's on both of them lel.

Posted (edited)

You're totally right. I remember when I was in high school all the kids in the accelerated track to continue with AP classes were usually very snobby and unfriendly to those outside their little clique. I was in that "track" for the first half of high school then realized it wasn't worth the stress for all those classes lol. And a lot of the theater kids were also AP kids, so that whole group was ridiculously clique-y and thought they were hot shit. Tbh if this wasn't a very competitive school, I know those kids would've gotten the crap kicked out of them somewhere else. It's like they were proud to be a know-it-all. Not all of course, but as a former theater kid myself, who along with other "regular" kids was always pushed aside for the favored kids who wouldn't shut up about how smart they are being in AP classes and how it must suck to take regular classes, yeah these people irritate me lmao. And you're right, in the end, taking AP classes or not isn't going to impact your future career, so why people always make it a big deal? Idk.

Edited by disappointedwitch

Posted

Good looks actually matter.