• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Unpopular opinions

8587 posts in this topic

Posted

^ This may sound weird, but I feel like part of the hype came from the fact that Korea has a growing shiny new spotlight in the west due to the Olympics, BTS, etc.

I also think the Oscars was kind of pandering by being like, "See?? We do value representation! Lol" 

Parasite was a good movie imo. I genuinely liked it. But yeah I do think part of the push was inauthentic.  

The amount of literal stans Parasite collected just show how strong hallyu is nowadays, it's honestly fascinating. I loved the movie and I truly believe they deserve the awards but there have been so many great South Korean movies (some by Bong Joon Ho himself) that didn't receive all this praise internationally because they weren't released and promoted at the right time in the right way, like Parasite.

Posted

I don't agree with unethical practices with some companies (slave labor etc) buuuut people shouldn't be shamed for indulging in fast fashion. Not everyone can afford to buy clothing from companies with 100% squeaky clean practices...since they tend to be VERY expensive. People who live check to check deserve to treat themselves to cute affordable things too, and they will shop within a budgit versus buying a simple shirt that could cost 1/2 or more of their left over spending money.

this! omg thank you!

Posted (edited)

- 'Kinning' has gotten really stupid.

It's one thing to relate to a character, and I understand as there is characters I can relate to as well, but to get mad at somebody because they relate to the same character as you do? Like...sis...lmfao you're not the only...one who can relate to that specific character?

I really don't care if you relate to Kylo Ren because you have daddy issues, or you relate to this character because you had a terrible childhood, but to throw a tantrum and scold someone else for feeling comfort within a character is just ridiculous. They're not there for just you. The website I visit daily has people like this and I roll my eyes so damn hard, man. 

Edited by thechurchesareburning

Posted (edited)

hriuojklfjsdkuhvioofapidiSNJgokd;f;pifuuojklmnwjafhsduiodklmansfjdkguiogulskrsemjnksdhuiofklh,.mngefjskolpirewugnjkfdlaoirnhjmdsfnbgvftyguvibjlksr,mejnbsghdtyuifgjlkhnmhjhdsvbgretysud7ifoglkhfmnjbewrjmklgjfmnh,kle;opresifnhmdklsroi fnmdvklhujygtfrdetrgyuikl,m.nbvcxdsfrtyuiolkmnjbvcfdertyuikljmnbvcfdgthyjlkjihuytresdxcvbnjkloijuyjtrdesfxcvbnjkiujytgfrdxcvbnmjkljhbvgcfdxsedrtyujikoplkjmnhbgvcvbnm,l;p[oiuyt5r4e34567890p[;l,mnbvfcdser4567yuiokl,mnbvcxsderty6u7i89ooi8uytgvbnmklk;loiuytgrf

Edited by sandy11

Posted

Huh? Something like that exist? Why would someone get upset. I would see a "soulmate" who has the same struggles, not an enemy.

Some people go as far as believing they're the character, maybe it's a coping mechanism, but tbh it's unhealthy for the person and the people surrounding them. Also some people identify as a watermelon.

Posted

Also some people identify as a watermelon.

died

Posted (edited)

- 'Kinning' has gotten really stupid.

It's one thing to relate to a character, and I understand as there is characters I can relate to as well, but to get mad at somebody because they relate to the same character as you do? Like...sis...lmfao you're not the only...one who can relate to that specific character?

I really don't care if you relate to Kylo Ren because you have daddy issues, or you relate to this character because you had a terrible childhood, but to throw a tantrum and scold someone else for feeling comfort within a character is just ridiculous. They're not there for just you. The website I visit daily has people like this and I roll my eyes so damn hard, man. 

the thing I remember about "kin" on tumblr, which is the only place I saw it, is that a lot of them tried to claim they were the character themselves and that disturbed me greatly

sometimes I'm glad some of the characters I like aren't popular or liked by weirdo fandom people

OT: if I've gotta give a recent example... I've seen ppl claim sayaka kanamori is trans because she's not traditionally feminine looking. I'm so tired of lgbt headcanons and people saying that the men in predominantly male cast anime Must Be Gay or that girls in all girl shows Must Be Lesbian. Shipping is so cancerous and dumb and so are people constantly trying to claim these series with mainly one gender casts have all lgbt when their sexuality isn't even fucking apparent (fanservice isn't even present in a lot of these series). Leave my haikyuu and hibike alone!! Leave them alone!

also trans headcanons are way too often used for any character who doesn't conform to a certain gender norm, did people ever stop to think that androgynous looking men/women or people who don't 100% conform to gender norms can still be comfortable with the gender they were born with? Guess not

Edited by jvcki

Posted (edited)

the thing I remember about "kin" on tumblr, which is the only place I saw it, is that a lot of them tried to claim they were the character themselves and that disturbed me greatly

sometimes I'm glad some of the characters I like aren't popular or liked by weirdo fandom people

OT: if I've gotta give a recent example... I've seen ppl claim sayaka kanamori is trans because she's not traditionally feminine looking. I'm so tired of lgbt headcanons and people saying that the men in predominantly male cast anime Must Be Gay or that girls in all girl shows Must Be Lesbian. Shipping is so cancerous and dumb and so are people constantly trying to claim these series with mainly one gender casts have all lgbt when their sexuality isn't even fucking apparent (fanservice isn't even present in a lot of these series). Leave my haikyuu and hibike alone!! Leave them alone!

also trans headcanons are way too often used for any character who doesn't conform to a certain gender norm, did people ever stop to think that androgynous looking men/women or people who don't 100% conform to gender norms can still be comfortable with the gender they were born with? Guess not

I saw a Hatsune Miku post about her being trans, and if you didn't like that hc [it was forced onto you so you had no choice], they call you transphobic.

I'm literally only on Tumblr for my followers because we all are in the Outlast fandom and it's quite small, but...I roll my eyes on the daily. Headcanons are not fact. I make Headcanons about characters all the time [including a 'trans' crossdresser, who is my icon at the moment] and I don't force them onto people? The stupidity..

Huh? Something like that exist? Why would someone get upset. I would see a "soulmate" who has the same struggles, not an enemy.

I see it a lot on Quotev [a site I'm on, aka the one I mentioned in my post], and almost everybody has a kin list of characters they relate to. Like Kimberly said above, it is like a coping mechanism.

But people will take this too far. I remember jokingly roleplaying an anime character called Death The Kid, and someone who 'kinned' him said "omg can u stop my kin isn't like that'

??? how the fuck do you know if your ''kin'' is like that or not??? I will never understand these people. I have multiple characters to relate to. But I won't become a child if someone else relates to them too. 

Posted (edited)

Omg y'all giving me war flashbacks. Tumblr ship art I did of two anime characters got attacked by a kinner for months. Basically they kept reblogging my art and cry-typing shit like "this ,,, tr iggering me???? A d it's himophob1c towards me????" Because apparently in their mind they are this male anime and they believe this guy is gay. And my shipart was of this character with a female character (that he canonically has a crush on, mind you) and that conflicted with the kinner's uhm.... Ok I'm going to say it. headcanon. Because that's what it fucking is. They're not some anime teenage boy. No matter how much they spam my notifications to say otherwise.

I blocked them eventually but holy shit the amount of delusion. It was really unsettling how persistent they were. 

Edited by jadedotgif

Posted

People can kinkshame all they want. You're not entitled to have others listen to you talk about your weird af sexual fetish. It's just gross.

Posted

Speaking of quotev, people are way too obsessed about how their page looks. Like honey I've been on that site since 2013 !!!! Trust me !! Me disagreeing on changing my account to match that (short lived) trend doesn't warrant you a reason to move accounts !

People also move accounts for any petty ass reason. 

Posted (edited)

Speaking of quotev, people are way too obsessed about how their page looks. Like honey I've been on that site since 2013 !!!! Trust me !! Me disagreeing on changing my account to match that (short lived) trend doesn't warrant you a reason to move accounts !

People also move accounts for any petty ass reason. 

Oof ikr?? The hentai ahegao icon bs is also old as well. Do you miss the old site?? Where you could use colours and stuff?? Cause I sure do. ): My layout making career collapsed real quick.

I had to move accounts because my ex friend [who sent me death threats if you could believe that lmaooo] knew my account and I didn't wanna deal with that bs. Now people move because they don't wanna be on a profile that's been around for longer than a month. "Joined 1 week ago" and having over 1k followers is the new aesthetic?
Also, THE FB ACCOUNTS. THEY STARTED SHIT WITH EVERYBODY. I will never miss those.

EDIT: Adding onto that, the "byf" bullshit now is so full of irrelevant stuff. "don't follow if u talk to [username]" "don't follow if u don't like sexual content"

Bruh...that site is for WRITING AND READING. Go read instead of getting triggered. 

I also am tired of the people who tell me to "tag" posts regarding blood, even though my profile states I'm into stuff like that.

I'd get it if it gave you flashbacks, but if blood just unnerves you I shouldn't have to heavily tag my post, to the point where people have to scroll tf down. It's sad that people now have to make seperate accounts to be themselves. 

Posted (edited)

Oof ikr?? The hentai ahegao icon bs is also old as well. Do you miss the old site?? Where you could use colours and stuff?? Cause I sure do. ): My layout making career collapsed real quick.

I had to move accounts because my ex friend [who sent me death threats if you could believe that lmaooo] knew my account and I didn't wanna deal with that bs. Now people move because they don't wanna be on a profile that's been around for longer than a month. "Joined 1 week ago" and having over 1k followers is the new aesthetic?
Also, THE FB ACCOUNTS. THEY STARTED SHIT WITH EVERYBODY. I will never miss those.

edit lol i got heated: and honestly not really? but if colors AND THE EMOJIS !! came back I wouldn't hesitated to relive my nostalgia days LMAO i would take advantage of the old site so quickly. it was probably updated because of issues that PULL has before they got horrible.

spoiled for ot !!

But see, that's okay because they were essentially threatening you. People just be moving because "well we're not friends anymore and i don't wanna see you or your friends so bye!" like just...block them? there's also people who move accounts 3 times within a week and i'm like is it THAT serious? maybe if you stop going by apollo and having the same info with a different taehyung icon on your account no one would figure it out? as big as quotev is, it's such a small community that it's bound to happen that one friend will know a friend who knows a friend that knows someone you dislike and they'll go on a follow spree and...like?

People who bitched about the ahegao icons made me laugh like of course you're going to get deleted. Quotev has never truly enforced the rules up until now so they're having a kenna-like freak out that now they're being forced to follow them. Someone once moved accounts because I said the whole no color, mismatched icon/background, none square, no url ( basically, bare ) trend was ugly and that no one was doing it and this girl said "well uh i know lots of people that do!" and im like...there's so many accounts on Quotev trust me ur the minority and see i was right lol it died out not even two months later. 

Edited by vivaldi

Posted

White people: We need to stop having kids and sterilize ourselves for the environment!

Third world countries: *have at least 6 kids per family*

White people: *cricket sounds* 🦗 

Also white people: *imports third world migrants because of low birth rates*

a great way to permanently fuck up the population of a country

This agenda is slowly coming to my country through sitcoms licensed by the Netherlands. 

Posted

White people: We need to stop having kids and sterilize ourselves for the environment!

Third world countries: *have at least 6 kids per family*

White people: *cricket sounds* 🦗 

Also white people: *imports third world migrants because of low birth rates*

a great way to permanently fuck up the population of a country

This agenda is slowly coming to my country through sitcoms licensed by the Netherlands. 

I don’t think the majority isn’t having having kids because of environment they aren’t having kids because they just don’t want to