• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Unpopular opinions

9120 posts in this topic

Posted

I wish people spoke about it more - buying and giving your kid a toy or any materialistic goods is not a form of parenting. You need to have a bond with what you spawned. Parents nowadays have no idea how lazy they've gotten.

Additionally, parents need to talk normally to children, not with high pitched voices and fake smiles - it actually disturbs the kid's upbringing and instils a weird habit on the relatives which can turn into belittling behaviour later in life. Kids are smarter than people say, they don't have to be spoken to that way. 

And finally, I often see when a child is angry or abnormally sad, the parents usually dismiss any contribution in these types of behaviour and blame it on the offspring alone. It mostly stems from home arguments, lot's of tears and poor relationships. That child wouldn't be that way if you didn't do anything to it. Children are like walls with ears, they caught on stuff everybody says so quickly and it can affect them irreversibly.

Posted

I hate how people use social anxiety and depression and claim it as a trend of being 'different'. Makes people who suffer of them look attention seeking when we reach out for help or talk about it.

^^^ YES. This is a double-edged sword, because on the other hand it causes the general desentesization in people towards mental illnesses, because they seem memeable. 

Posted

Useless dads/husbands should be an hot issue more people should care about 

Posted

The thing youtubers do where they cut to a shot of them far away from the camera, hands up to their mouths, yelling some inane point in that ugly Jenna Marbles "hElL yEaH" voice she does, is a trend that needs to die.  Along with the hell yeah voice in general.  It's horrific.  I seriously am thinking Jenna just forgot how to speak normally.

Posted

The episode "House Fancy" wasn't a bad episode. People are just too focused on the toenail scene. 

Posted

The episode "House Fancy" wasn't a bad episode. People are just too focused on the toenail scene. 

Honestly, I feel like the toenail scene was only added to gain traction to said episode. Without the toenail scene, I actually just found the episode to be really boring.

Posted

If you are going to support women support all women and their choices. Yes that also includes those who are polyam or work as sex workers.

Also learn that not everyone is going to live the same as you and need to find their own happiness

Posted

I honestly don't think WW3 is going to happen with this situation with Iran, and making memes about it is honestly feeding mass hysteria within the general public.

Posted

Girls PLZ for the love of god love yourself and stop dating beta dudes who drives a fucking FRS or BRZ with lame ass anime shit on it 🤢

Posted (edited)

The internet has gotten more and more boring over the years. I don't know if it's just because of nostalgia, but I remember it as being way more fun back when I first started using it (late 2000s/early 2010s).

If you are going to support women support all women and their choices. Yes that also includes those who are polyam or work as sex workers.

Also learn that not everyone is going to live the same as you and need to find their own happiness

Not every choice is created equal and choices also don't happen in a vacuum or never come at odds with other choices which is why if a woman finds that joining a terrorist organization and chopping up civilians is the greatest way to find her own happiness, that choice isn't something that should be supported just because she's female. If a woman (or man) chooses to support a practice or an industry which affects society and/or women more negatively than positively (and may even restrict other women's ability to make more favorable choices in some cases), there is no reason why that shouldn't be criticized.

Edited by JunkFood

Posted (edited)

-

Edited by cluelessmai

Posted

Could you please explain if it's not a bother?

I started using it regularly in the early 2010s but mostly just youtube which was definitely way better back then.

Sure. Here are a few reasons.
– Most big social media outlets have been bought by a few corporations who care mostly about promoting their own brand and earning money through questionable means and end up mistreating the platform they bought more and more. As you said, Youtube is a very good example of this.
– I prefer forums over social media but they aren't as popular as they used to be due to the rise of sites like Facebook, Instagram, Reddit (all of which are becoming more and more of a cesspool) and all the discussion moving there.
– It feels like creativity has decreased over the years because content creators care about earning money first and foremost and creativity second. Many 
people just largely follow the same trends nowadays.
– I know Adobe Flash had its problems but I had a lot of fun playing Flash games when I started using the internet and now many games have either disappeared or will become unplayable when Flash starts working in December this year

Coming across this thread on lolcow https://lolcow.farm/ot/res/497325.html is what caused me to think about this – you might find something else that's interesting

Posted

Could you please explain if it's not a bother?

I started using it regularly in the early 2010s but mostly just youtube which was definitely way better back then.

Maybe I can because I feel the same as someone who used the internet since 2009 but had it at home since mid 2010.If you have time you can watch this video.

People say that the moment when MySpace closed, the "totalitarian" era of the internet begun because back then on every social platform you could customize your homepage with colors, fonts, sparkles and more. After the rise in popularity of Facebook, Tumblr is the only place where you could customize your page. Social media giants wants us to be all the same. It sounds crazy and tinfoil hat-ish but think about it. 

- Although Facebook existed, the concept of internet fame, earning money via social media was still very new. Very little people tried that and nobody had taken that seriously. Everything was wholesome, although people started earning money through youtube in the late 2000s, everyone was doing with passion because no one outside of youtube knew that you could earn money. 

- There wasn't censorship, politics, propaganda at this degree, companies competing with creators, sponsorships and everything seemed more personal because of the low quality and minimal editing. There wasn't canceling, drama, "buy my merch", publicity stunts and other bullshit.

- There was free speech and with that came the edgyness and barely any political correctness. Internet was this counter culture thing that mainstream media stayed away from, unlike today. 

- I don't know about Reddit and other platforms because I spent my time playing games and watching YouTube videos until 2012, but I see Reddit tries too hard to make people to take him seriously by acting like a news outlet often spreading propaganda and censoring. 

- The only thing I don't miss is the hype around Facebook and these  cringy memes. Thank God I know like 3 people from my gen who use Facebook. The only reason I have ot because it's necessarily for college.