• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Unpopular opinions

7090 posts in this topic

Posted

Basically people who only care about foreign politics five days a year are chiming into a multi-faceted problem. A lot of friends are saying 'Just carve out a piece of land for the Kurds and that will bring peace :)'  Like Syria is gonna sign up for that. Like the indigenous people in NE Syria (Assyrians, Bedouins, and mixed groups) are gonna sign up for that. Like Iraq, Turkey, and Iran are gonna sign up for that. Meanwhile, the US has armed everyone involved and it's a dumpster fire. I want peace too, but let's not pretend carving up some land, claimed by multiple people, like a pizza is the peaceful solution. 

yeah that not gonna work and it never gonna work im pretty sure there are examples out there of it not working. 

Its mostly people who can't or won't give a shit about the history because its not really effecting them but if this is leading us to another Iraq  then they might wanna get their fact straight 

Posted

yes, we all know zodiacs and astrology are all phooey, but i still think it's fun to discuss signs, history with them, favorite ones and whatnot. some people take it too seriously though. :alpacacrush:

Posted (edited)

This is going to be a long one, but... cosmetic surgery isn't worthy of being called "drama." People are allowed to do whatever they wish with their bodies and it doesn't have to be justified by anyone else. That being said, I don't believe it's ethically alright for someone to get work done if they're going to lie about it. If you're not ready to answer honestly when someone says "have you had plastic surgery?" then frankly, you aren't ready to get it.

Cosmetic surgery should exist for those who feel they'd enjoy their body more and feel happier in it if they got it. It should exist as an opportunity to achieve the "beauty" one desires, whatever that may entail, since the definition of "beauty" is subjective and different for everyone. I don't believe, however, that it's healthy to get work done because of an insecurity, since insecurities derive from the skewed idea that beauty is an objective thing (it isn't) and also because insecurities can change over time (you can be insecure about a trait for a while, but then later find it beautiful.) I know some people might argue that everyone who gets cosmetic surgery does so because they're insecure about something, but that's not always the case. For example, a woman could be content with her breasts, but want them to be larger because she personally likes the idea of larger breasts on her body. This doesn't mean that she equates breasts of her size to be objectively ugly or unattractive. If that's what her desire for larger breasts meant, then she'd find every single person with breasts her size or smaller to be unattractive. If her desire for cosmetic surgery stemmed from an insecurity, she'd deny having surgery done when asked, but if she genuinely enjoyed her body more and felt more beautiful once she had work done then she'd be proud of the fact that she's had work because she's happier with how she looks.

If a person wants to alter say, their nose, but wouldn't tell people that they did if they had work done, that's when it becomes unhealthy - they're afraid to tell people that they've had cosmetic surgery because they want people to think the nose they now have is the nose they were born with, proving that they think humanity as a whole has objective ideas of beauty, and that their natural features were objectively ugly to everyone. If a person wanted to change their nose because they'd find themselves more beautiful with a differently shaped nose, they wouldn't be afraid to admit they've had work, since they don't believe the nose they were born with was "ugly", they just simply wanted a different one.

TL;DR: I'm supportive of plastic surgery, to a degree. I don't think it's right for anyone to judge another person for having work done and I also don't think it's alright for people who have had work done to be deceptive and lie about getting it. If a person wants to get work done, they should only do it if they know they'd be ready to acknowledge and be proud of it.

Edited by sloane
sometimes i think, "do i type too much?"

Posted

I don't understand Antinatalists, it's ironic for them to even live if they think giving birth is morally bad because the baby can't give consent. What a sad life you have to have. Also, people have the right to chose if they don't want to have kids, but I don't understand the ones that claim they don't want to have because the world is horrible, full of war, disasters, diseases, evil etc. If you see the world only through those eyes then you must lead a very sad and depressing life. Just because you are a pessimist or a nihilist doesn't make you special and smarter. The world has never been more peaceful and accepting in history, it will never be perfect, but even if it were, these people would still find a reason to complain. 

Posted (edited)

I don't understand Antinatalists, it's ironic for them to even live if they think giving birth is morally bad because the baby can't give consent. What a sad life you have to have. Also, people have the right to chose if they don't want to have kids, but I don't understand the ones that claim they don't want to have because the world is horrible, full of war, disasters, diseases, evil etc. If you see the world only through those eyes then you must lead a very sad and depressing life. Just because you are a pessimist or a nihilist doesn't make you special and smarter. The world has never been more peaceful and accepting in history, it will never be perfect, but even if it were, these people would still find a reason to complain. 

I have come to believe a lot of them are subconsciously suicidal due to whatever bad experiences they had in their lives. Hence joining a movement that supports and enables their continuous pessimism and depression is a way of consolation to tell themselves that their feelings are right.

It shares many similarities with how people with eating disorders turn to websites like myproana to find people like themselves, and how incels seek out people like themselves on 4chan and 8chan, etc. I don't specifically know the psychological mechanics behind this phenomenon, but people who express negative ideas/beliefs become attracted to other people and communities that express similar ideas/beliefs to themselves, which acts as a supporting pillar to further enable their negative ideas/beliefs.

Edited by Caeleigh

Posted

I have come to believe a lot of them are subconsciously suicidal due to whatever bad experiences they had in their lives. Hence joining a movement that supports and enables their continuous pessimism and depression is a way of consolation to tell themselves that their feelings are right.

It shares many similarities with how people with eating disorders turn to websites like myproana to find people like themselves, and how incels seek out people like themselves on 4chan and 8chan, etc. I don't specifically know the psychological mechanics behind this phenomenon, but people who express negative ideas/beliefs become attracted to other people and communities that express similar ideas/beliefs to themselves, which acts as a supporting pillar to further enable their negative ideas/beliefs.

That's really sad, I thought those are type of people like atheists who think that their pessimism and nihilism makes them superior. I know about people with eating disorders supporting hashtags on tumblr and ig (not anymore) like #proana, #ana or #mia and more. It's bad in a sense that it probably stops them from getting any help because they feel less alone and weird when they discover people like them. My ex had self diagnosed depression and kept romanticizing it without getting any help, he's still alive lmao and cringy af. I wrote that because watched some video by a youtuber who was explaining why she doesn't want to have kids and I was shocked how many antinatalists were in the top comments without anyone who disagreeing with them. 

Posted (edited)

I don't believe in generalizations but I have yet to come across a white french person who I like, french-Canadians included. 

Edited by Sugarbeets

Posted

The people who started saying "anna oop" instead of "and i oop" just ruin the whole thing for me tbh lol

i get annoyed at the people who use "and eye-" "and 👁"

Posted

I thought about this for a little bit lol. If it wasn't for sonic mania being released the same year as sonic forces, sonic forces would've totally fucked Sega lmao.

Also, trent is the best anti hero in the power ranger franchise and I will take that to my friggin grave.

Posted

Nnoitra is actually pretty hot

I wholeheartedly agree

Posted

People who take entitlement and empowerment from self proclaiming to be weebs are so fucking delusional to what a weeb is. 

There is nothing wrong about researching about culture, traditions, etiquette and liking entertainment ect. but saying that if you were japanese or asian because they do a certain tradition you want to do and you want to be japanese and know everything about japan because of anime and think Japan is some fantasy land and you see what your doing is good, then why don't you take all that 'research' and look up what an actual weeb is because clearly you have no idea about what your self proclaiming to be.

Posted

am i the only one who finds sarah baska really annoying,,, getting blackout drunk isnt a personality trait sis

Posted (edited)

you dont get a medal for being a good parent

growing up in a good household is a right not a privilege

Edited by leonheart

Posted

am i the only one who finds sarah baska really annoying,,, getting blackout drunk isnt a personality trait sis

I used to love her in 2016 and she was the model of a best friend I didn't have at the time because I stopped being friends with my bff. Her vlogs with Ashlyn were something I daydreamed of doing with my bff. Now she acts like a stoned hippy, looks unkept, what you said, and she looks like she smells like weed and essential oils. Nothingwwrong with weed and essential oils but I simply don't like her vibe and aesthetic anymore. I have to admit I found her Coachella storytime interesting and made me finally decide to go on a music festival I wasn't sure if I would be going lol. But that's all for 3 years, it seems like she stopped gaining subs, I remember her growing really wast and having at least 2m views in 2016.

Posted

When someone who's a topic of discussion on PULL posts a random thing about politics or real world events on their IG/Twitter/whatever I kinda get bored with all the posts dragging them because the reasons usually end up being "well Person X never talks about politics/current events/etc. so why now? and what about every other issue that they could talk about but don't?" 

I want to be clear, I'm not talking about someone like Joey (TheAnimeMan) getting self-righteous all of a sudden about the typhoon and earthquake that just hit Japan. He was being his typical asshole self. Here's his little post:

jocringe.JPG

And he deserves to be dragged. Same with others who are obviously trying to score points as if they're just so much more aware of real life than everyone else when we all know they just care about themselves (and that's why they have a PULL thread).

I personally just do not care if someone whose online presence is about something totally unrelated to current events does or doesn't post about those issues. And 99% of the time, if someone does post about such things, the posts end up being vapid and stupid because they don't have much to say anyway so there's not much substance for PULL to talk about.

What's a lot more problematic, to me, is when some online personality goes on and on about how "woke" or politically aware they are and then prove themselves wrong with their ignorance or hypocrisy. Now that is worth discussion! Same with anyone who gets judgmental and preachy but we all know they're fools.

(All this being said, everyone has different views of what's problematic, so I can't be too judgmental, but I do feel like some threads drag it out too much when someone just posts a pretty boring thing about a current issue. Unless it shows that they are a hypocrite because of prior statements or actions, or they are definitely trying to grab points by jumping onto a trendy topic, then I say move on).