• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Unpopular opinions

7097 posts in this topic

Posted

Ship culture is toxic. Let justin's wife live. Everybody spams on their posts how Selena would be a better wife for him BUT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THESE PEOPLE IN REAL LIFE, this selenaxjustin ship must stop, they've moved on and found new people. Stop harassing Hailey Baldwin, Justin and Selena will never get back together.

How could she be a better wife for him when they literally broke up twice? What are these people smoking and where can I get it-

Posted

I mean, a knight or a European princess has never been a marginalized, and dressing up as one isn't going to harm the current royal families of Europe or make knighthood as a title less impressive. When I think of European princess costume, I picture a fantasy setting or nerds larping But dressing up as a Mexican labourer with the sign that says ILLEGAL is definitely racist and harmful. It's why it's ok to dress up as Princess Jasmine and not ok dress up as a caricature of an "Arab woman" for Halloween. As for the Japanese and Perry, I don't know but I doubt they would praise Perry if she had done it at the height of 'yellow peril' in the US/Canada while generations of Japanese were taken from cities and farms to be interned at concentration camps. 

Idk it gets blurry for me when people use cultural appropriation to flex ownership. Not wearing a racist costume stops harm in that regard but how does saying someone cant wear something fix the problem? For example, henna is part of my culture, but how it does fix racism to say Beyonce can't wear it for her baby shower? She did it respectfully and hired someone from the community to do it for her iirc I view it as her uplifting the community. 

I 100% agree with you. There's usually a fine line between culture appreciation and culture appropriation (and usually it's behind the person's intentions, which we can never know). It really makes me iffy when I see people lump the two things together and call everything appropriation, because that's a proposal of segregation only. I come from a multicultural country and it's hard to say who gets a "pass" to do or wear certain things, since everyone is mixed to a considerable degree, and many of the things that are part of our general culture come from the interaction of many ethnicities; cultures are dynamic and interactive by definition. Umbanda, for example, is a fusion of African religions and Christianity (besides numerous ramifications that are more or less influenced by Spiritism, indigenous and Indian practices). Have I heard foreigners (especially Americans) saying that's "bad" and "appropriating"? Absolutely. 

I think that as long as you're doing it respectfully, it's fine. Like, wearing a sacred religious symbol from another culture for aesthetic's sake? That's bad. Wearing a costume that perpetuates a harmful stereotype about a culture? Also bad. But who cares if you wear hoop earrings being non-Latino (yup, I've seen people saying hoop earrings are "Latino culture")? Or if you travel to Japan and take a picture wearing a yukata? Get a fucking job. You're missing the point if you think that going on a Cruzade against any random white dude who wears dreadlocks is more useful than fighting the structural racism that makes dreads be seen as unkempt/unclean when worn by Black people.

Ngl, I could write an entire dissertation on how much this idea of going after individuals for "cultural appropriation" is bullshit neoliberal propaganda to keep us fighting among ourselves and not actually solving the bigger problem of structural opression.

Posted (edited)

idk why people here are constantly pointing out people wearing circle lenses/contacts while swimming, genuinely don't see the problem? if you aren't putting your head underwater it's fine, i've worn contacts to the pool/beach tons of times

Edited by foxing

Posted

ok but.....we're talking about white culture in the us and in general. just like how there is black culture in the us (and also in general); thats why the meme was created. also....it really is not that big of a deal lmao. when white people get offended by jokes like this its just funny seeing their ego get hurt. like chill you still are held as the "superior" race in society it's all good fam lol

i ship justin and therapy. 

ok that point kinda went over my head lol, but im not actually offended. it's just annoying how some people claim to be very knowledgeable and woke and then say shit like that.

Posted (edited)

I mean, a knight or a European princess has never been a marginalized, and dressing up as one isn't going to harm the current royal families of Europe or make knighthood as a title less impressive. When I think of European princess costume, I picture a fantasy setting or nerds larping But dressing up as a Mexican labourer with the sign that says ILLEGAL is definitely racist and harmful. It's why it's ok to dress up as Princess Jasmine and not ok dress up as a caricature of an "Arab woman" for Halloween. As for the Japanese and Perry, I don't know but I doubt they would praise Perry if she had done it at the height of 'yellow peril' in the US/Canada while generations of Japanese were taken from cities and farms to be interned at concentration camps. 

Idk it gets blurry for me when people use cultural appropriation to flex ownership. Not wearing a racist costume stops harm in that regard but how does saying someone cant wear something fix the problem? For example, henna is part of my culture, but how it does fix racism to say Beyonce can't wear it for her baby shower? She did it respectfully and hired someone from the community to do it for her iirc I view it as her uplifting the community. 

I don't think people are doing it will Ill intentions like blackface, but yeah actual racist costumes are unacceptable. What I think it's dumb is to be offended by is dressing like a taco and something like that. I was laughing my ass off when someone called out Rihanna for having super thin eyebrows on Vogue cover that she was appropriating Cholas, like wtf. I would firstly never dress up like another culture on Halloween because there are a hundred other things like skeletons, fairies and stuff. And yeah, Europeans have been marginalized by different cultures and of course by Europeans themselves, but that's not really popular and pc because Britain was on the other hand a colonial empire and that's the reputation of entire Europe. 

Edited by shady

Posted

I lowkey miss those "Just Girly things" blog that was popular on tumblr circa 2013

Posted

ok that point kinda went over my head lol, but im not actually offended. it's just annoying how some people claim to be very knowledgeable and woke and then say shit like that.

yeah I see what you’re saying

Posted

Kim Kardashian was never ugly

Posted

How could she be a better wife for him when they literally broke up twice? What are these people smoking and where can I get it-

eh I don’t think Justin should be in relationship at all tbh. he seems like he’s far from ready. but ion know 

Posted

As much as i would hope some of these flakes would take a look at these thread on them and turn their behavior around there are other flakes that there's  just no fucking hope for them. 

Posted

im not even like a feminist or anti man or anything like that so this isn't coming from that kinda place

but the amount of men in makeup right now is getting annoying to me, and I know I'm in the minority here...

but we all know a lot of it is not out of real interest, just how popular it is

*cough*shanedawson*cough*

Posted

Cant believe Emma Roberts and Amber Heard are still getting roles when they are confesed abusers, I'm-

Posted

i hate drawn eyebrows they're ugh tbh and not everyone can pull them off

Posted

i hate drawn eyebrows they're ugh tbh and not everyone can pull them off

i've never understood how do people not realize how bad it looks when they fill in their eyebrows in the front