• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Unpopular opinions

4910 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

-Being a sex worker and being a victim of sex trafficking are two separate things and sex work does not glamorize or take attention away from how serious sex trafficking can be. If you don't agree with or support sex work, fine. But please do your research and don't mesh the two together just to prove a self righteous point.

-I know this is an unpopular opinion thread but why do people get bum tickled over getting down votes here?? Its literally points online, and people are allowed to disagree with your opinions, popular or unpopular. Its not being sensitive its just how it is.

-Colourpop is affordable but they're one of my least favourite brands. The lipsticks are so streaky and easily smuged, the jelly much shadows have the most bizarre formula ever, clumpy, takes forever to blend out and creases up even when you use primer. Only good thing is their concealers.

-As rude as this sounds, some people really don't have the face to cosplay certain characters. 

-Closet cosplays were meant to be fun,easy and refreshing but now its like lude cosplays. Most of them are lazy and low effort. Its also easy to tell who just does it for popularity and who genuinely does it bc they enjoy the craft but acknowledge how expensive it is.

Edited by Van ghostly

Posted (edited)

- makeup is unnecessarily expensive. I do buy higher quality brands, but still. Loose powder should NOT cost more than $30-40 imo

- sub-tweeting is fucking stupid. Just say what you want to say to a person to them directly 

- I feel like, in some ways, we’re so well educated in Australia. But in other ways, I feel like we are so dumb and lack important skills. For example, language skills. It seems like so many people from non-English speaking countries learn to speak English as well as other languages, too. In Australia, we have the option of learning languages in school but they way they are taught is ineffective and no one seems to utilise what they have learnt because there is no need to. It’s weird, because we’re a very multicultural country. But even people i know who grew up with parents who speak languages other than English at home claim that they actually don’t know their parents language. It almost seems pretty ignorant for such a large proportion of us to be monolingual. I wish I had been taught languages better as a kid, so I wouldn’t struggle as much with them now I’m a bit older and English is so ingrained 

- if you’re playing fortnite in squads and you don’t have push to chat enabled and you just sit there talking out loud the whole time about nonsense, you do not deserve to have a headset and as your teammate, I will break the bonds of brotherhood and wilfully eradicate you 

Edited by Cyrillic

Posted

99% of the people who say "sorry for my bad english" are just fishing for compliments bc their english is usually great lol. or at least that's what it seems like to me

I was walking down the street downtown, in Bucharest, ROMANIA, with a friend, talking in English (we need to practice -.-) .. and this foreigner (perhaps from Australia -he had a British accent and looked like a surfer...stereotyping him because I still get a bit upset thinking about the incident) started hitting on us. And because we didn't pay him any attention, he started making fun of my accent... So, yea, sometimes I feel the need to say "sorry for my bad english" Also, at times, I may be too tired and type weirdly, or I'm not sure if what i say makes any sense. 

Posted

I was walking down the street downtown, in Bucharest, ROMANIA, with a friend, talking in English (we need to practice -.-) .. and this foreigner (perhaps from Australia -he had a British accent and looked like a surfer...stereotyping him because I still get a bit upset thinking about the incident) started hitting on us. And because we didn't pay him any attention, he started making fun of my accent... So, yea, sometimes I feel the need to say "sorry for my bad english" Also, at times, I may be too tired and type weirdly, or I'm not sure if what i say makes any sense. 

Popular opinion - that guy is an idiot and I’m sorry he treated you that way. How about he learns Romanian so he’s not such an idiot foreigner, rather than picking on your english

Posted

Really wish ppl would wait for the facts before they start canceling on someone. It just makes you look dumb when the person ur canceling is found to be innocent. This whole 'cancel culture' is fucking toxic. 

Posted

- I feel like, in some ways, we’re so well educated in Australia. But in other ways, I feel like we are so dumb and lack important skills. For example, language skills. It seems like so many people from non-English speaking countries learn to speak English as well as other languages, too. In Australia, we have the option of learning languages in school but they way they are taught is ineffective and no one seems to utilise what they have learnt because there is no need to. It’s weird, because we’re a very multicultural country. But even people i know who grew up with parents who speak languages other than English at home claim that they actually don’t know their parents language. It almost seems pretty ignorant for such a large proportion of us to be monolingual. I wish I had been taught languages better as a kid, so I wouldn’t struggle as much with them now I’m a bit older and English is so ingrained 

TBH though, Australia is one of the lowest ranked countries when it comes to education I think accordding to the UN we are like 39 out of 41, and I think it's due to lack of resources that subjects like languages suffer. I remember in primary school from like, kindergarten year 4 so like 2002-'06 we had to learn Japanese with these really crappy audio tapes the same shit that we had to use in 2011 when I had to take Indonesian and my Japanese teacher was really really passionate about it as well . Also, I think a lot of Europeans usually consume English-spoken movies/videogames mostly subbed? Unless its like a kids movie or something? I've got relatives from Germany and that's how they learnt English, aside from it being taught at school from like primary school I think?? 

Posted

-I know this is an unpopular opinion thread but why do people get bum tickled over getting down votes here?? Its literally points online, and people are allowed to disagree with your opinions, popular or unpopular. Its not being sensitive its just how it is.

Agreed, and complaining about downvotes existing in this thread is more sensitive than the act of silently giving a downvote :P If you know your opinion is unpopular, it's a given that there'll be people who don't agree with it and people are allowed to use the buttons as they please lol why does it matter

Posted

I don’t understand why people say cis men when they talk about misogyny, being trans doesn’t mean you can’t be misogynistic. 

Telling abuse victims to go to police instead of speaking about it online is a bit stupid to me, at least in my country the cops don’t care and it feels like they want to silence the abuse victim. In high school I helped a friend to go to the police and was with her when she told them she was raped. They told her to fulfill some papers and sent her home and never contacted her again. There’s also many cases of foreigners reporting rape to the police and being the ones getting arrested instead.

People always complain about unpopular opinions here not being unpopular but they don’t seem to understand that opinions are subjective. Some of my unpopular opinions might be popular in your community but it’s still unpopular in mine.

White liberal feminists who shush muslims in the global south talking about the abuse they receive because the men use islam as an excuse to be abusive are annoying. They claim  that it’s islamphobia but how is it islamphobia when a muslim is talking about how men use the religion as an excuse to be abusive? Alot of christian men use the religion as an excuse as well to be misogynistic/homophobic/transphobic etc and they understand that so why do they keep attacking muslim women for talking about the abuse they have to suffer from men who use a religion as an excuse to get away with their actions?

Posted

Agreed, and complaining about downvotes existing in this thread is more sensitive than the act of silently giving a downvote :P If you know your opinion is unpopular, it's a given that there'll be people who don't agree with it and people are allowed to use the buttons as they please lol why does it matter

I mean, sure, it's just points on a forum, I'm not going to throw a rage fit over it when it happens, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the thread? Obviously these are supposed to be unpopular opinions, so a lot of people won't agree with them, but this is supposed to be a place to freely express them without the major backlash you'd get elsewhere. So my rule of thumb is to not downvote anyone I don't agree with here, but maybe this is the unpopular opinion?

Posted (edited)

I mean, sure, it's just points on a forum, I'm not going to throw a rage fit over it when it happens, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the thread? Obviously these are supposed to be unpopular opinions, so a lot of people won't agree with them, but this is supposed to be a place to freely express them without the major backlash you'd get elsewhere. So my rule of thumb is to not downvote anyone I don't agree with here, but maybe this is the unpopular opinion?

Haha I share your opinion. I don’t care about downvotes at all, but on the off chance I do check my recent reputation and see that I had a downvoted on a post here I’m like “....huh?” I just always assumed it was like an unwritten rule not to downvote people here.

If I downvoted people everytime they made a point I might not necessarily agree with in unpopular opinions, I could probably use the majority of those sparse daily reputation points just downvoting people on this thread 😂 

anyway, pointless argument I guess. At the end of the day, people are free to downvote. I guess some of us just expected it wouldn’t be something that happens in this thread 

Edited by Cyrillic

Posted

Compared to other forums with unpopular opinion threads (reddit for example, post a legit unpopular one there and boom people will downvote like hell but also try to argue with you) a downvote here and there is pretty polite. I never see anyone go at another person for an unpopular opinion. You're free to post it no issue, but opinions are still subjective so some will just agree to disagree (thats how i view a down vote here)  and carry on. 

Posted

i have no idea what downvotes are for anymore. i initially thought you downvote a post when you disagree with someone (just like all of you said) but then i saw a mod's post in another thread that said "don't downvote just because you disagree with someone" and now i'm confused :alpacaconfused:

Posted

lets start upvoting the most unpopular opinions and downvoting the ones we agree with lol

Posted

With how often I read about jealous (ex) boyfriends killing their former partners, I'm glad I never had a boyfriend. Never want one, who knows what kind of psycho you're inviting in your home...

Posted

Selena and miley's only good music was under Disney.