• Announcements

• Recent changes to PULL   07/07/19

Hello everyone,   As promised, we're working on some changes to improve the forum and community! So far, here are the recent changes: Negative reputation has been disabled. Upvoting remains intact. This is a trial run to deal with whiteknights brigading certain topics and salty users mass-downvoting users they disagree with. Some text formatting options have been removed. Some users like to format their posts in ways that make them harder to read or downright obnoxious. (Light colors, tiny fonts, etc), so this helps make threads more readable. If you find yourself needing post formatting because you're making a new thread, please contact a mod and we will make it happen. New threads have to be approved anyway, so you're not going to have to start out with an ugly thread. Text formatting remains available to all users who have supported us via Patreon.No more threads on "Online Personalities". We will NOT lock or remove old threads, but we won't approve new threads about people who don't have any history of drama or controversies. Some threads will be moved to the snowflake sections if applicable. Read the new topic guidelines before you make a new thread.Here are our works in progress: New categories will be added. "Little Snowflakes" is too broad of a spectrum, so we're going to sort our flakes into a few sub-sections to keep things organized. We will also make more use of tags for those flakes who transcend categories. This will also allow us to appoint moderators to specific categories or snowflakes. New moderators will be onboarded soon. 

Unpopular opinions

5557 posts in this topic

Posted

I’m Smirnoff and I have something I wanna say... (about art):

-People who don’t know shit about art.... do not speak on it. Many times I land on some post about readymades or basically any other mediums that aren’t drawing or painting, I see laymen commenting “ummm this isn’t art sweety :-/“. Put some damn respect on Duchamp’s name.

-Too many people confuse modern art and contemporary art. It’s like there was collective amnesia regarding the whole ass post modernism period.

-Surrealism was one of the best movements. Impressionism was boring as hell for me.

-Kinda feel uneasy about the influx of people who go to art galleries just to snap pics for the gram. I’m just paranoid it could potentially change the way that collators choose for exhibitions i.e choosing “aesthetic” installation works rather than some not so pretty but nonetheless important works. Idk.

-Banksy is so fucking annoying.

sorry for my dumb pretentious ass

I GET SO ANNOYED WHEN PEOPLE USE MODERN AND CONTEMPORARY INTERCHANGEABLY 

but in a general way; like "modern movies" and "modern video games" (vs "retro games") when they're both "modern" products in a sense

also, apparently taking photos during a museum visit/of an art installation makes the whole experience less enjoyable according to a study 

I really wish there was more appreciation of artists that aren't the typical ones from art history textbooks. Yeah Matisse, Monet, Picasso and whoever are seminal artists for what they did but there's so many more interesting (aesthetically-speaking) artists who aren't really acknowledged if at all. 

Monet? Van Gogh? Who? Important but so boring honestly.

What about la Touche, Odilon Redon, William Blake and all that? 

Posted (edited)

This!! Have people forgotten about the Ottoman Empire enslaving people in Europe? I find the hypocrisy of the extreme left insane. For one, only American history and struggles are the focus, ever. And the fact how they're so eager to talk about the differences among Black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, Native people. But white people? European people? Nah, we're apparently all the same according to them. I wish I could talk about how my grandparents miraculously survived WWII in Ukraine and Poland and the shit them and their families have gone through, but according to the internet my appearance means that they supposedly know more about my heritage and family's struggles than I do. Sure, Jan. Sure.

It's seriously unfair. Especially in K-pop/J-pop/whatever fandom people enjoy attacking Europeans verbally. People know so little about European history it's ridiculous, all they know about are the imperials. How about Eastern Europe, huh? Poland and Ukraine had a horrible fate, as well as Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland/Karelia and so on. We're a bunch of smaller nations on the east border, heavily influenced by the World Wars, Civil Wars and purges.  It's a miracle we survived through the World War at all, or to be honest, that we survived even to see the World Wars.

To conclude, people should educate themselves. Europe is so much more than German, France and UK - and even their histories have more than colonialism to them. 

Edited by Neonpet
Typos

Posted (edited)

This!! Have people forgotten about the Ottoman Empire enslaving people in Europe? I find the hypocrisy of the extreme left insane. For one, only American history and struggles are the focus, ever. And the fact how they're so eager to talk about the differences among Black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, Native people. But white people? European people? Nah, we're apparently all the same according to them. I wish I could talk about how my grandparents miraculously survived WWII in Ukraine and Poland and the shit them and their families have gone through, but according to the internet my appearance means that they supposedly know more about my heritage and family's struggles than I do. Sure, Jan. Sure.

And not only did the Ottoman empire enslave people and attempt to wipe out Armenians and Assyrians; it's either not talked about much or flat out denied in the case of the Armenian and Assyrian genocides. I'm not sure the people who constantly talk about how much white people suck and are racist by default or whatever are always aware of things such as the racial hierarchy of Mauritanian slavery, how the language shift from Berber to Arab in the Maghreb region happened, the way China treats its non Han Chinese ethnic minorities or the Nanjing massacre.

Edited by JunkFood

Posted

It's seriously unfair. Especially in K-pop/J-pop/whatever fandom people enjoy attacking Europeans verbally. People know so little about European history it's ridiculous, all they know about are the imperials. How about Eastern Europe, huh? Poland and Ukraine had a horrible fate, as well as Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland/Karelia and so on. We're a bunch of smaller nations on the east border, heavily influenced by the World Wars, Civil Wars and purges.  It's a miracle we survived through the World War at all, or to be honest, that we survived even to see the World Wars.

To conclude, people should educate themselves. Europe is so much more than German, France and UK - and even their histories have more than colonialism to them. 

I second all of this as well. I am half Irish and half Ukrainian and both have suffered horribly on different fronts of world powers, people need to notice that history happens to everyone not just POC.

Posted (edited)

we also can't forget that the crimes that the imperialistic countries committed were done by the GOVERNMENT, not the regular citizens. Like yeah England sucked but during the time colonization happened, anyone who wasn't upper class was basically in poverty and illiterate. The English, even though it doesn't seem like it, also suffered because of the monarchy having too much power. The government was terrible in many European countries but their own people were suffering as well and weren't even educated enough to have a say in what the government was doing.

Source: a European history class I'm taking lol

also edit: if any country had developed at the same rate European countries were, they would've done the same thing. I mean Japan was basically doing the same thing Europe did but America put a stop to it in ww2 (yet everyone seems to forget that Japan did want to take over the world)

i just wish people were kinder to each other, no one from back then is even alive anymore and the governments have apologized, so there's no point hating people who aren't even connected to imperialism anymore 

Edited by Poutine
Thought of this after posting lol

Posted

I really don't like Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Especially not the image of witches in it.

Posted

I do not have sympathy for drug users. Y'all learn that shit in school and those damn advertisments that taking drug is bad and what it does to you. Asking/stealing/loaning money to buy drugs, embarassing your family if you get arrested etc. Fucking stupid ass. 

Idc if your a drug user, as long as you don’t act like your the victim and don’t waste everything just for your sweet sweet weed.

Posted

I really don't like Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Especially not the image of witches in it.

I hate having the Netflix Sabrina constantly pop up when I'm looking for Sabrina the Teenaged-Witch. It's not even a reboot of the former and a completely different series

Posted

New Zealander accents are the best of the Anglos. Canadian ones are the worst. 

Posted

Wanting more representation in the US government is not justified when your reason is because you want "somebody in the government that looks like me/my kids".

Translation: don't vote for someone if the only reason is because they look like you, or because you want your child to see somebody that looks like them. Vote for someone who has YOUR best interests at heart.