• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Unpopular opinions

4647 posts in this topic

Posted

I feel like people complain about not liking the way a thread is going, but then were one of the ones who said nothing out of fear of reprisal.  It feels like the real complain is, "I feel my opinion is not popular".  

The only reason I don't always voice a disagreement is because a) I can't be bothered. b) I do disagree but can't give a reason beyond emotion and c) it seems like others just want to vent for a bit.  (Venting isn't always about logic and reason).  

If I really think something needs to be said, I'll say it and I'll make my case for it.  It's not always easy, but at the end of the day are you really going to let online strangers rule your life?  

People need to have a little more courage. Everyone wants people to make it safe and easy to voice their opinions.  We can only be so civil before it has to become censorship of the other side.

The real issue:

I think people hate that they have unpopular opinions.  

Posted

Most of them are self-diagnosed and have never actually been tested for such and such illnesses. Whip out Dr. Google, tick the yes boxes of symptoms, and you're good to go. I usually find them on Tumblr, and half the time I don't buy it. As someone who is actually studying in that very field, I feel like it's a trend to say you've got x y z mental illness when in reality, you really don't.

I'd say it's more like Dr. WebMD lmao

and yes, almost anyone who claims to have six comorbid personality disorders is probably fucking fibbing. Tumblr severely trivializes personality disorders, and likes to claim they easily overlap, but usually no more than two at a time even happen to occur in one individual. Also, having even one is increasingly rare phenomenon, borderline and bipolar people (the most commonly used is borderline on tumblr) are only like found in a percentage or less of the population. Six PDs would probably mentally institutionalize or kill someone. So the whole situation, it's actually nigh impossible- but people will continue to trivialize and misunderstand personality disorders and how they're something you definitely don't want to have in actuality at the end of the day.

Posted

Some unpopular opinions from your local emo shinobi boy:

• At least 75% of the shit people do that get them branded as a koreaboo/weaboo/ Asian fetishizer is not remotely koreaboo-sh/weebish/ fetishist in the least. Dying your hair a pastel colour and trying an asian skincare routine because you felt inspired by your 'unnies' isn't yellowface, wanting to learn Japanese because of your interest in anime/manga doesn't mean you wanna be Japanese, and posting dance/vocal covers for fun sure af don't mean you making plans to fly to Seoul and audition to be the new lead dancer of 2ne1.  As long as they aren't claiming they're asian now or being creepy, let em live.
  • Why tf do people debate on the internet?? Like what is there to gain from spending 6+ hours in the comment section of a post arguing about anything? Nothing but a "ha u might be right, thanks for changing this stranger's view" or "fuck u man", which both amount to a grand total of nothing. Turn off the wiFi and go outside kiddies
  • I LOVE PINEAPPLE ON PIZZA
  • the PPAP meme is the most stupid, unfunny thing I have ever seen, right next to the "Damn Daniel" meme
  • I didn't read the entire thread so I'm pretty sure my opinions have already been stated before oops

Posted

I dislike Steve universe and the voice actors on there annoy me

I think there are only two genders (i use to have this thought for a long time that there were more then two, but I changed my opinion on it this year. I will still respect your pronouns and such though. Because I respect you. 

I like 80s and 70s fashion (is that unpopular? ) 

i think pot is really great. 

todays makeup trend (the Kim look and such) reminds me of some reject makeup artist that has a cocaine addiction.

people who really like plants  make me suspicious. 

I dislike when people say meme, and use cancer as a insult . All I can think of is 12 year olds.

i think a lot of people on tumblr look the same. Like the short hair cut and weird hipster glasses. 

The cosplay community is shit

acne on other people doesn't bother me!

Posted

Adding some things here...:

- I still didn't understand the mystic messenger hype, I have played it and honestly it's a good game but not really that spectacular or special

- Yuri on ice is just...ugh, I didn't understand why there's the need to insert a fanservice for every 5 minutes -__-

- Most of people need to learn the basic of business instead of accusing a company as a "greedy" or "evil"

- People can spend their money on whatever they want to, I have seen people guilt tripping someone who spend money for designer bag, makeup, automotive hobby or gaming. As long as they didn't get into a debt or borrowing money from other people, then what's the problem ?

Posted

-I don't mind people with mental illness but sometimes it rubs me off the wrong way when they list all their mental illness on their profile description

People with REAL mental illnesses never brag about it. It's definetely not something to be proud of. All you get from people when they find out you have some mental issues is pity :notimp: 
I'm pretty sure people who list their "mental disorders" on their profile are just thirsty for attention.

Posted

• I think it's really unfair how vegans are scrutinized for everything they do and blame everything on their diet. Vegan: "Wow, I'm so tired." Non-vegan: "IT MUST BE BECAUSE YOU'RE PROTEIN DEFICIENT!1!!11!1!"
  • I personally think it's a good thing for teenagers to have sex
  • All of these sexualities and genders need to go.
  • Labels are so stupid
  • Self diagnosing mental illnesses
  • Learning japanese or korean doesn't make you a koreaboo or weeaboo!
  • Everyone should be at least bilingual
  • I believe that there should be some sort of genocide in the near future (idiot genocide or some shit like that)

Posted

*People who shame ddlg and ageplay without having actually any decent knowledge given to them from someone who isnt a cringy kawaii instagram bby girl is very arrogant and ignorant and actually hurts people. 

*ageplayers, ddlg'ers and general kinky people who dont keep it in the bedroom... just ugh...

Posted

Came back to be a catty bitch

- I don't think it's bad to want to learn learn a language just so you can understand shows without subtitles(i.e Japanese,Korean etc)

Once you know and understand the language you don't have to wait for your favorite show/manga to be subtitled and you can support the company directly. They don't care about how many views a website gets for subbing their manga they care about the book sales/dvd sales and literally the only way to support them is to buy their merch. But why buy a book you don't understand? I don't think it makes you a weeb.

- I liked 50 shades of grey and I'm seeing the sequel in January.

- This PC mindset we have nowadays is disgusting, literally nothing seems genuine anymore

- ;-; I wish we didn't have to click on profiles to see reputations now...

- I like snapchat but I hate how everyone is advertising their snapchat every where. No im not going to add you I barely know how to do that okay!

- I literally don't care about politics. I know nothing on the subject anyway

- I don't like the idea of our army. Yeah it's suppose to 'protect' us but attacking other people for their things makes us a bully and murderers. Saying 'thank you for your service' is very weird to me because we're thanking them for killing people... and the fact that most people take the army route to pay for school(cause otherwise you'll be in debt) makes me sick because we don't have a choice. I don't like this..

- It's okay to take time for yourself but using that as an excuse to not do anything with your life is kind of pathetic

- I'm not saying school should be free (it would be nice but you know..) I wish it was reasonable, like maybe 2k for 4 years is reasonable but not 2k a semester. (is this even an unpopular opinion tho lol)

Posted (edited)

• I don't give a fuck about Captain America, and even less about Bucky Barnes. Even even lesser the Steve/Bucky ship.
  • Imo, the only good movies in the Marvel universe are Iron-Man 1 and 2, The Avengers 1-2, Thor 2, Spiderman 1 & 3 (with Tobey Maguire) -- and last but not least: Ant-Man and Blade 1.
  • I don't have any high hopes for Doctor Strange. Will probably only watch it because of Mads Mikkelsen.

VERY unpopular opinions:

• In the almost 10 years I've been following Final Fantasy XV, I still don't find any appeal in Noctis. He's generic to me. -- Could change when the game is actually, and finally released.
  • If I had an XV ship, it'd be Nyx and Lunafreya.
  • I love the realistic character design on Nyx compared to FF's usual anime looking characters who nearly all look the same.
  • I'm not "CIS scum" for not falling into the hype of making every game/anime/movie character gay. I have my fave same-sex ships, but I don't have to like all of them.
  • I'm very annoyed this morning because of the time change.
Edited by 20

Posted

Another opinion just came to mind, so I thought I'd post it:

• I can not stand all these superhero movies. Not a single one of them is memorable or enjoyable to watch as they are all incredibly predictable and cliché. Honestly, at this point it just feels like they recycle the plot but with different characters and the sheer volume of these movies that have been released in the past few years is getting ridiculous. I'll never understand all the hype around them or why people become so obsessed with them.

Posted (edited)

Another opinion just came to mind, so I thought I'd post it:

• I can not stand all these superhero movies. Not a single one of them is memorable or enjoyable to watch as they are all incredibly predictable and cliché. Honestly, at this point it just feels like they recycle the plot but with different characters and the sheer volume of these movies that have been released in the past few years is getting ridiculous. I'll never understand all the hype around them or why people become so obsessed with them.

Some of us grew up with the comics, so it's nice to see them in motion. I can't speak for others, but I "obsess and hype" around them because it was part of my childhood, and it reminds me of the times my cousins and I would gather around to read the newest editions together.

I however, can understand why others consider theses movies cliche, and that's because filmmakers can't deliver a 1:1 adaption from comic to screen without having to cut around the edges, e.g dropping a lot of backstory, which essentially ends up making every character basically the same person. A lot of the super hero movies were just very poorly presented compared to what they actually should have been. Predictable witty comebacks, cool special effects, and people in latex suits sells better; filmmakers appease the masses than present a decent story.

Granted, you're basically describing all movies in the past 20 years. Comedies, horrors, and action movies all have the same concept and storyline, with different characters and settings. I have yet to see and hear of a movie that doesn't fall under that category.

Edited by 20

Posted

Some of us grew up with the comics, so it's nice to see them in motion. I can't speak for others, but I "obsess and hype" around them because it was part of my childhood, and it reminds me of the times my cousins and I would gather around to read the newest editions together.

I however, can understand why others consider theses movies cliche, and that's because filmmakers can't deliver a 1:1 adaption from comic to screen without having to cut around the edges, e.g dropping a lot of backstory, which essentially ends up making every character basically the same person. A lot of the super hero movies were just very poorly presented compared to what they actually should have been. Predictable witty comebacks, cool special effects, and people in latex suits sells better; filmmakers appease the masses than present a decent story.

Granted, you're basically describing all movies in the past 20 years. Comedies, horrors, and action movies all have the same concept and storyline, with different characters and settings. I have yet to see and hear of a movie that doesn't fall under that category.

I guess I can see what you mean about reading the comics as a child, personally I never took an interest in comics so that could explain my feelings towards such movies. I'll be the first to admit that I can be pretty snobbish when it comes to movies and I can't really recall any movie that I've watched in the past few years and truly enjoyed purely based on the fact that they are all so similar. It's quite sad really, I wish directors/film makers would try to be a little more creative with their movies rather than simply trying to appeal to everyone by showing off special effects with little substance behind it.

Posted

I see I already have a few things in common with others, but I guess I will list them anyway..

• Pizza Hawaii is my favorite pizza
  • I liked the Twilight movies
  • I liked the movie 50 Shades Of Grey
  • I don't see how the movies (at least, cause idk about the books) are so problematic. The relationships are slightly abusive, but in all honesty, a lot of relationships in film are abusive, and a lot of relationships in real life too. Therefore I don't get why people single out these two franchises in particular for portraying that. I can't recall anywhere that it stated you should see these couples as 'relationship goals', that's just something people decide for themselves (just like they do with the Joker and Harley Quinn, but no one complains about Suicide Squad being problematic because of that).
  • Russian and Ukraine beauty is overrated (You can find very beautiful girls there, but not more beautiful than you could find in any other country.)
  • Though I love stuff like Visual Kei, I just don't get the appeal of Marilyn Manson. 

Posted

I don't see the point of labeling yourself as asexual or putting your sexuality in your bio.