• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you.

PONY MUA (In general and recent)

112 posts in this topic

Posted

*She is a public figure and as this is my first post and I may make a mistake of placing this thread in the wrong forum (please correct me)

*I apologise if there is already a thread about her but I couldn't find it so I have made one. I also don't intend to bash or mock anyone.

PONY 포니 (Makeup Artist) Park Hye Min 박혜민

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ponymakeup

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BIxWNvxD7Xr/?taken-by=ponysmakeup&hl=en

She is a celebrity makeup artist and Korean beauty Youtuber.

She was also a popular ulzzang that released many graphic makeup tutorials several years ago.

PONY is likeable, hard-working, and has nothing bad on her record until the makeup brushes scandal this year.

She annouced that she had taken inspiration from many magnetic makeup brushes

to produce her own line of 'unique' magnetic makeup brushes.

However many claim an undeniable similarity between her brushes and the

original magnetic makeup brushes patented by Rae Morris (MUA).

Link to the collective info in regards to the scandal: http://lostinpretty.com/2016/04/pony-effects-magnetic-brush-line-and-rae-morris/

As I wish to remain as unbiased as possible my only comment is: What a cunning and lucrative business woman!

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 11.59.03 PM.png

Also , her appearance has been confusing me for a while.

It may be due to her great skill in makeup,

as I always see that the shape of her nose is changing.

Here are some old and recent photos of her.

*update : @aripenko contributed "She has admitted to doing her nose, it's somewhere on Pannchoa." 

Old photo:

3230665818_9d75ff9f1c_b.thumb.jpg.54f40e

Recent photo:

Screen_Shot_2016-08-15_at_11.53.31_PM.th

Old photo 

3230665818_9d75ff9f1c_b_copy.thumb.jpg.d

Recent photo

327ABE7700000578-3505530-image-a-37_1458

Screen_Shot_2016-08-15_at_11.50.50_PM.th

Posted

Her and ssin are my favourite beauty Youtubers! I've been in love with her since she was posting videos on OnStyles YouTube :alpacalove:

Her videos are so relaxing to watch and I love the editing. Also she was CL's makeup artist (don't know if she still is).

My favourite videos of hers are:

I do think though that she's got some work done. I don't really care though, I'm more interested in her makeup than what she's done to her face

Posted

Pony teamed up with Memebox to produce her own line of cosmetics named 'PONY EFFECT'.

Link to short blurb and the online store:

https://us.memebox.com/xo-memebox/pony-x-memebox

https://us.memebox.com/brands/pony-effect?p=2

And the link to the official PONY EFFECT website:

http://ponyeffect.com/us/

Since she 'teamed up' with a brand and the entire website is also dedicated to boosting PONY as a brand,

I'm not so sure the company can force her to say what they want her to say. @clementine

She has to say it was unique and an inspired product because if she didn't she would be admiting to plagiarising. 

But it's nice how it worked out for her and she didn't get sued. 

However for those who have patented a product, they would be losing out in business. 

Again, I can only say: indeed a lucrative business woman 

Posted

Is it weird that I love her makeup line but not her tutorials? I mean, they're beautiful but they're not that interesting to me, her skin is gorgeous though :alpacalove:

Posted (edited)

I was hoping someone would make a thread for her! Personally she seems kinda sketchy to me.

I've never heard of her before ever, and then about a yearish ago she just pops out of nowhere with a huge YT channel? Her channel is kinda bare and there are no video before 2015.

(*I edited out a part here bc apparently her pre-2015 videos are on a different channel, my mistake, sorry*)

I find it really amusing how despite only creating her channel a year ago big name beauty youtubers such as bubzbeauty are already (IMO kissing up to her) saying stuff like "she has been my YT makeup inspo for years!!! She is my idol !!!"

I've also heard no go things about her makeup line too. If needed I can search though instagram again to find the posts but everything I've heard about her "pony effect" lin was horrible. People were sent the wrong products, the actual colors of the products were completely different from what it said online, the actual product quality was crap, nothing good. 

In her videos she seems like a nice person, but Idk her past and makeup line just seem very sketchy to me.

Edited by Serenity

Posted

I was hoping someone would make a thread for her! Personally she seems kinda sketchy to me.

I've never heard of her before ever, and then about a yearish ago she just pops out of nowhere with a huge YT channel? Her channel is kinda bare and there are no video before 2015.

(*I edited out a part here bc apparently her pre-2015 videos are on a different channel, my mistake, sorry*)

I find it really amusing how despite only creating her channel a year ago big name beauty youtubers such as bubzbeauty are already (IMO kissing up to her) saying stuff like "she has been my YT makeup inspo for years!!! She is my idol !!!"

I've also heard no go things about her makeup line too. If needed I can search though instagram again to find the posts but everything I've heard about her "pony effect" lin was horrible. People were sent the wrong products, the actual colors of the products were completely different from what it said online, the actual product quality was crap, nothing good. 

In her videos she seems like a nice person, but Idk her past and makeup line just seem very sketchy to me.

Oooh Thanks that was informative!

I was also waiting for a thread about her but no one did it so I volunteered *......*

Posted

That's interesting, I own three products under her name and I love it, butt..... I did end up not buying the foundation, powder and that pebble blender because of this girl's review on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H7d3kZuE1fc

Posted

She has admitted to doing her nose, it's somewhere on Pannchoa. As far as I'm aware she got popular of her blog on Cyworld way back in 2008 and was an ulzzang as well, though it is pretty insane how she went from the Korean equivalent of an Instagram model to a respected makeup artist working with Etude House and Burberry. 

Posted

I think she became popular for being CL's mua because knetz were wondering how CL always looked so good

Posted

I have several items from her line - from her first release to most recently, and I can shed some light on some discrepancies - however when it comes to people being sent the wrong products, that would be the distributor's problem, as it's all sold through online retailers, not through the official website.

Her first palette - one of the shadows came smashed, and while that was super disappointing, the other drawback was a lack of colour payoff for a couple of the shades. And one of them is a duochrome. Nothing wrong with that, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. But for the most part, it was fairly mid-range quality (lipstick was nothing to write home about, contouring palette was great but the highlight shades don't have a big colour payoff, at all, the nailpolish is the bomb diggity). 

Most recent releases have been of a higher quality - her matte liquid lipstick line is surprisingly moisturizing and of a higher quality than I expected, again the nail polish is great, the shadows aren't bad, and as for the foundation...well. It matches, it feels nice, but there's something off about it (and it's a little hard to work with). The eyeliner (twist, not liquid) is nice, but it's hard to get a good colour payoff and it's tiny as fuck. Some people may like that, but for the price, it's almost too tiny (think Colourpop eyeliner). And the primer...well. It primes for something. 

I haven't tried the cushion yet, but I'm looking to get it - it's just not high up on the list of shit I want to get. Which says a lot, imo, about a makeup line. 

For the most part, I truly enjoy Pony's videos - she appears to have a pleasant personality (and actually shows her personality more recently), but I only say that as someone who's been watching her for a few years. She's much different now that she's not shilling for Etude House and Innisfree (never forget). And for a MUA, she's quite open about her skin not being great at times, not being afraid to show closeups, etc. 

Apologies for the lengthy response!

Posted (edited)

She was a very popular ulzzang back in the years where being an ulzzang was a big deal. Her tutorials were mostly pictorial-style on her blog back then since Youtube wasn't much of a thing. It was shared around a lot, which contributed to her fame and is probably the reason why so many "big name beauty Youtubers" look up to her, because many of them probably actually did follow her. Eventually when the Youtube craze hit, she also did a number of videos for a relatively popular Korean channel that had a lot of international fans. When her segment with said channel ended, she started her own Youtube channel, which is probably why you feel like it's strange how she has such a huge following despite having seemingly little content.

As for her make-up line, I cannot vouch for this because most of her products are out of my budget, but from what I know most of the issues with distribution were because people were buying through third-party distributors or agents? Most of my friends who've tried her eyeshadows liked it a lot and said the pigmentation was great. I personally felt like her line was a little overpriced and overhyped, but I do feel like it's a case of YMMV.

Personally I've always liked Pony and her videos, her tutorials were very helpful when I first started putting on make-up. I've met her when she came to my country for a meet-and-greet as well, and her personality always came off very fresh and open. I think she's admitted to having work done on her face as well? 

Edited by popcornmachine
Formatting and grammatical errors.

Posted

Pony has been active in the Korean beauty community for a really long time. I remember her picture tutorials being really popular in Korea when I was around middle school / early high school age, which is about 8 years ago. She's really well-known over there and her international popularity has grown a lot the past couple of years. There's nothing shady about her popularity or her makeup line, especially considering her products are carried by REALLY well known retailers like Memebox.

Posted

I like her. I just wish her cushions came in deeper shades, haha. I wouldn't even touch the darkest shade she has in her cushion line up. 

I thought she had some work done. I like her old nose better than her new nose. 

Posted

I adore Pony~ I remember when she was modeling wigs. . .gosh it must have been at least nine years ago. So I agree with @lmaolmaolmao and @aripenko on the timeline. 8/9 years is about right. (I wasn't aware of her in the USA until late 2008/early 2009.) She started out on Cyword, started modeling for a few wig companies, posted lots of makeup tutorials and became well known in South Korea. Now that Korean culture has become the main stage for the international pop culture scene (similar how Japan dominated about a decade ago) it's no wonder her Youtube is so popular internationally. It helps that names International people recognise like Etude House are working with her, along with various idols and international designer brands.

So to say the least, her spike in popularity actually makes a lot of sense.