• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Yumi King

7948 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Long time lurker here, on a quick note I want to say that I used to genuinely follow Yumi for her tutorials back when she actually made sewing tutorials, I'm an aspiring cosplayer and thought her videos were easy to follow at the time, I now know her techniques are...cheap, so to speak. I stopped following her when she posted the first video with her boyfriend, I swear I thought it was her father in the thumbnail until I read the title; I know I shouldn't kinkshame but JFC

Also, I'm no expert regarding other cultures but is the dress supposed to look this tacky? I don't know, the shape, the fabric, everything looks so cheap to me; I get that the shape is "supposed" to be like that but the fabric (and the colors) make it look extremely cheap and uncomfortable to wear, she looks like a bell ffs

wotyumi.png

I googled "Pink Hambok" and found what I think is the original- or at least the thumbnail used for the listing of the knockoff product she bought.

hambok.png

Heres a link to the aliexpress listing where she may have bought this from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Korean-Traditional-Dress-Korean-National-Costume-Women-Clothes-Long-Sleeve-Female-Hanbok-Korean-Dress-Halloween-Costume/32776972628.html

I think a couple of things yumi could have done better was to tie a better bow, iron it, and buy a fluffier/longer petticoat. It almost looks like yumi was wearing a shorter lolita-fashion petticoat in the image since the skirt portion folds inward half way through. You can also see wrinkles in the ribbon so she could have done some ironing. However, I don't think ironing would help the the bottom of the skirt too much since it was probably sewn different than in the original image to the left unlike her knockoff.

She also could have seriously tied the bow better.

Screen_Shot_2016_12_31_at_3_16_01_PM.png

Edited by Person
changed fluffier to fluffier/longer

Posted

I googled "Pink Hambok" and found what I think is the original- or at least the thumbnail used for the listing of the knockoff product she bought.

hambok.png

True, the original dress looks way better than the one Yumi's wearing. Not sure if it's just the lighting and the petticoat she's wearing, but I'm starting to think she could wear the prettiest dress ever and still make it look tacky.

Posted

Another one lurker here o/ recently I was following this thread and other and I have to say that PULL makes my days.

Anyone knows the fuck is she doing with that chinese sword? This shit reminds me of invadernoodles' tryhard Kitana.

(English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes)

Posted

i liked that her newer videos she looking less stiff in them. there still some improvement with posing but its better than it use to be. 

Posted

new video

That, as she calls it, "Kongfu" part was really awkward and stupid. It surprised me even more that she realized that yet showed herself doing that for a waaay too long time.

Posted

Wow, even more cheap, tacky, costume-y trash. That Bodyline bear OP looks kind of cute, though that cheap lace is slightly killing me from the inside (I used to do lolita fashion). Maybe her bf should have bought like one actual quality item, since she really wanted a hanbok like come on, get her a real one and not an awkward sweatshop creation. But guess they both are a bit cheapskates so quantity wins over quality.

Posted

That, as she calls it, "Kongfu" part was really awkward and stupid. It surprised me even more that she realized that yet showed herself doing that for a waaay too long time.

Sorry to be a party pooper here but that is the correct pronunciation. Either "kongfu" or "gongfu" (hard g, like gecko, goat, etc.) is correct.

Now, regarding how shitty she looks in the clothes compared to the pictures, call me a devil's advocate but aliexpress/alibaba is famous for that. They show you one thing and you receive something that doesn't quite look like it. There are even plenty of videos on youtube of people showing "What I ordered/What I got"

Like so:

24AC939000000578-2909093-image-a-5_14211

Pretty terrible, nonetheless. Rather than spending little on many dresses she should've asked her splenda daddy to add up the cost of these dresses and get her a decent one. 

Posted (edited)

hambok.png

Pardon, just a newbie here....hello! 

But I swear the cheap partially transparent "hanbok" is made out of the same material as those bags you get from Ulta....

ultabeauty.jpg

Edited by Teabii
shortened referenced post

Posted

Long time lurker here, on a quick note I want to say that I used to genuinely follow Yumi for her tutorials back when she actually made sewing tutorials, I'm an aspiring cosplayer and thought her videos were easy to follow at the time, I now know her techniques are...cheap, so to speak. I stopped following her when she posted the first video with her boyfriend, I swear I thought it was her father in the thumbnail until I read the title; I know I shouldn't kinkshame but JFC

Also, I'm no expert regarding other cultures but is the dress supposed to look this tacky? I don't know, the shape, the fabric, everything looks so cheap to me; I get that the shape is "supposed" to be like that but the fabric (and the colors) make it look extremely cheap and uncomfortable to wear, she looks like a bell ffs

wotyumi.png

the skirt... looks like wrapping paper

Posted

hambok.png

Heres a link to the aliexpress listing where she may have bought this from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Korean-Traditional-Dress-Korean-National-Costume-Women-Clothes-Long-Sleeve-Female-Hanbok-Korean-Dress-Halloween-Costume/32776972628.html

I think a couple of things yumi could have done better was to tie a better bow, iron it, and buy a fluffier/longer petticoat. It almost looks like yumi was wearing a shorter lolita-fashion petticoat in the image since the skirt portion folds inward half way through. You can also see wrinkles in the ribbon so she could have done some ironing. However, I don't think ironing would help the the bottom of the skirt too much since it was probably sewn different than in the original image to the left unlike her knockoff.

She also could have seriously tied the bow better.

Screen_Shot_2016_12_31_at_3_16_01_PM.png

That was a christmas present from her boyfriend, so she could not choose the size unfortunately.

Posted (edited)

Teabii:

Pardon, just a newbie here....hello! 

But I swear the cheap partially transparent "hanbok" is made out of the same material as those bags you get from Ulta....

ultabeauty.jpg

Aliexpress is known for garbage bag quality after all~xD

aliexpress.png

Image from reddit r/expectationsvsreality

Its a hard place to shop, but are there occasionally good deals. 

Just some personal side ramblings, I really do like some of the stuff she buys. The style may be cute even though the quality is not all there. I wonder if one of the reasons why she buys so much stuff is to have more content for her youtube videos? I also wonder if she could benefit in her channel by buying more expensive items and doing reviews. Or maybe she doesn't do many reviews because she wouldn't know what to say other than "it's so pretty" "I love this dress" etc :alpacaconfused: I don't know. 

Edited by Person
formatting problems

Posted

I created an account just to post here keke

I can't just sit back anymore, because honestly I've been reading the comments on Yumi's new videos with her boyfriend and I'm seeing young girls, seriously young girls commenting about how they "want a relationship like this" and how they're either dating a much older guy (worst case I saw was a 15 year old genuinely dating a 64 year old, and there was another similar situation with another commenter) or want to date a much older guy.

Yumi knew when she decided to reveal her creepy relationship to the public that her audience mostly consists of actual children, really young impressionable girls who see her as an idol, someone to look up to and follow. And they are following her. I know Yumi is in her late 20s, but her fans aren't, and they're going to get hurt. She's just sat back letting all of this unfold. At the very least she should say something to her followers, make some kind of statement, because this is literally a paedophile's dream in her comments section right now. 

Not to mention her new "hanbok" (I want to puke, it literally looks like wallpaper and makes her look like a maid bell) and her boyfriend's "love of Korean culture" (he can speak some Korean, don't ya know). He seems like a closeted Koreaboo amongst other things, and wants to mold his legal-age child into the perfect Korean girl (despite her, uh, not being Korean at all). If he isn't attracted to children he definitely has yellow fever. The whole situation makes me cringe so bad. 

Posted (edited)

Just some personal side ramblings, I really do like some of the stuff she buys. The style may be cute even though the quality is not all there. I wonder if one of the reasons why she buys so much stuff is to have more content for her youtube videos? I also wonder if she could benefit in her channel by buying more expensive items and doing reviews. Or maybe she doesn't do many reviews because she wouldn't know what to say other than "it's so pretty" "I love this dress" etc 

:alpacaconfused:

I don't know. 

Haha, same here. I'm sometimes buying from these shops as well (just that I'm very careful what to buy and I don't particularly go for the cutest stuff.) But some of the things she buys doesn't look all that bad on her. Also it's cool that she is brave enough to actually go for a rather unusual style. (The Hambok looks pretty tacky or costum-y though.)

It's just... In general I think that the cute look simply doesn't suit her much. I mean, the child-like-cute look. A more elegant and still sweet look might work a lot better for her imo. Get rid of these bangs, do something about the eyebrows and don't dress in tons of ribbons and lace and sweet lolita-ish dress.

And I agree with Iggybee. People voicing her discomfort about her boyfriend-videos are not downright haters. It's the way she films these videos and how she acts in them that makes it seem like something is off.

What annoys me a bit is that in her new video she uses lolita fashion style as an excuse to say it's why she looks 'childish' in it. I'm not into lolita fashion myself (though I love some of the prints), but I know some lolitas and none of them looks like a child just because she wears a sweet lolita dress.

I have to give her some props though that her videos are at least somewhat entertaining. Tbh since a while I hardly make it through the new vids of youtubers I subscribed too. It's often such a yawnfest. Hers I moslty watch till the end.

And to the commenter right above me:

Exactly my sentiment. :-/  Yumi's comment section gets worse with every video. And whoever voices even the slightest criticism gets basically slaughtered by her fans.

Edited by Risa

Posted (edited)

finally watching the dress video:

ok first of all on the Kongfu why does she just do the same damn pose over and over again? cant she stand still and show of the fabric and the dress instead of doing the same tacky pose with some sword?

ok the Hanfu, if she is gonna make outfit videos then atleast freaking iron your clothes??? like jesus it takes 3 min and it will make it look much more nice and less tacky. The bottom of the hanfu just looks awful :(

ok im just gonna stop myself before this becomes a long rant: Yumi please get better at posing if you're gonna do these kind of vids. Also iron your clothes to make sure you actually look presentable before these videos.

ok nope i gotta add something, on the second lolita dress(not the victorian one) she is wearing the worst possibly petticoat ever. Plus im so annoyed because the dresses may be from a lolita shop but they are waaaaaay too short on her to ever become proper lolita.

Edited by Lotto

Posted

I agree with Risa, Yumi's comment section is getting worse. If someone critic or gives Yumi a suggestion, their fans were like "Don't be mean! Don't hurt Yumi's feelings!"

I ever see a comment on Yumi's DIY luxurious gothic panties. There's someone who said that the panties are beautiful, but it's not like a victorian styled panties. (The title is DIY victorian panties before she changed it to DIY luxurious gothic panties, btw.) and then, her fan comments. 

"You don't have to be such a stickler, it's Victorian inspired, obviously."

She's just giving suggestion to make it better.. oh my god..